Fallout 4 - Official Bugs, Fixes, and Workarounds

If you want to lock a games frame rate at 60 to avoid the terminal bug, download dxtory

http://exkode.com/dxtory-downloads-en.html

I do have the full version, but the free demo lets you lock the fps, the free demo does not have a limited time use or anything like that it simply has a 10 second count down at the start before the app starts.

So you do not need V-sync to lock the fps, as i tend to notice input lag with vsync enabled.

Just start Dxtory go to the tab that looks like a computer chip and at the bottom it has Other Option Check the box, and set the fps to what you want, 58 i know for sure stops me from getting locked on the terminals.

Does it give any benefit over MSI Afterburner?

Does it give any benefit over MSI Afterburner?

Other than i couldn't find the option in my version of afterburner not sure, but ive used Dxtory in skyrim as well, was hoping i wouldnt need to for fallout but i got tired of the terminal issue and i deplore v-sync lol.

I have used Dxtory in the past for other things as well like screen region capture/recording so i was comfortable with the software.

Other than i couldn't find the option in my version of afterburner not sure, but ive used Dxtory in skyrim as well, was hoping i wouldnt need to for fallout but i got tired of the terminal issue and i deplore v-sync lol.

I have used Dxtory in the past for other things as well like screen region capture/recording so i was comfortable with the software.

Afterburner has another icon for the Statistics Server on the right side of the task bar.
This has a framerate limit option on the main screen.
When not set to zero, it limits to what you set.
Minimise not close once finished changing it.

If you have an Nvidia card you can just use Nvidia Inspector to limit the framerate through profiles.. you don't need DXTory, Afterburner, etc. It's a much more elegant way to do it.

Is that the riva tuner server thing it asks if you want to install when you install afterburner? i think i always unchecked that since i only used afterburner for overclocking or fan controls

I run Afterburner on boot anyway.
The graph tool is great for simultaneous monitoring of everything about the GPU, CPU, temps and memory use.
And quickly overclock, set fan profile.

Is that the riva tuner server thing it asks if you want to install when you install afterburner? i think i always unchecked that since i only used afterburner for overclocking or fan controls
Yes.

Anyone here running Fallout 4 with a video card having only 1GB memory? Does the game even run? I have a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB but ordered the game already...

At first the game wouldn't even boot for me without being in windowed mode. I modified the .ini file and manually set the resolution to 1080x1920 and that fixed the issue for me.

Anyone having the game just randomly and upruptly just close? No error messages or anything, the game just closes. Seems to only happy when you first try to fire up a loaded game, at least for me.

Anyone here running Fallout 4 with a video card having only 1GB memory? Does the game even run? I have a GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB but ordered the game already...

I run it on a 560 Ti 1GB. It doesn't look very good and I get ~30 FPS dips in highly-lighted indoor areas. But most of the time I'm around 40-50 FPS. I've got pretty much everything disabled except High textures and TAA.

Do this but don't run in borderless if you have gsync. You can run in fullscreen as long as you stay below 90fps. Limit it with MSI afterburner, etc.

Took that advise and it's working well, stays around 90fps too.

I run it on a 560 Ti 1GB. It doesn't look very good and I get ~30 FPS dips in highly-lighted indoor areas. But most of the time I'm around 40-50 FPS. I've got pretty much everything disabled except High textures and TAA.

Thanks for the reply. That behavior sounds like video memory starvation, but I'm glad it still runs OK. :)

Having an issue where i cannot see the lock picking screen which i presume will eventually be a problem. Other than that game runs fine any ideas?

Here's my list of bugs so far:

-Water purifiers don't produce excess like they should
-Clipping issues with items sometimes falling through floors
-Weapon goes invisible for no apparent reason
-Became unable to trade/swap gear with a certain settler for no real reason
-Pretty sure shops I am running aren't doing anything (I can buy from them but I'm not getting any income to speak of)
-One of my settlers appears to just be straight-up not there (I "gained" a settler according to the count, but no one ever showed up)
-Mutant Dog cooked food does not remove rads as it claims it should
-Combat music got stuck on in Sanctuary one time (and there was never combat there?). Restarting game fixed it.

Another bug to add to the list.

Encountered a Legendary Deathclaw in a town. Had Piper with me for cannon fodder.

Was running around a semi with a trailer. Dropped 9 fragmentation mines between the trailer and a wood fence which surround a home. Did enough damage to make the Legendary Deathclaw transform.

Spent another roughly 10 minutes luring the LD to the same spot with the same amount of FMs. First set took half his health away. Second set killed him.

Problem is the LD disappeared after the second set went off. I wasn't able to find the body after a good 40 minutes of searching. Seems the body disappeared. Second time this has happened to me in the same spot.

NVIDIA Inspector:
Frame Rate Limiter = 60

Something I just discovered - check your nVidia Inspector settings occasionally...for me on a reboot or sometimes even seemingly randomly, it will reset your framerate limiter to Off. Some people are saying that GeForce Experience is causing the issue. But in the meantime, I would recommend checking to make sure it's actually working, and if not to use alternate means.

Encountered another one: to finish some quests, you have to meet a certain npc in a certain place. It sometimes happens that said npc, instead of moving to the meeting place, will go to sanctuary falls first. which means you will have to wait for him to reach sanctuary falls, turn around and walk back to the meeting place.

You can wait it out by resting/sleeping, but it can be quite confusing to see the quest marker all over the map.

I get the disappearing weapon/UI bug pretty regularly. Seems to mostly happen when I pull out my weapon close to a wall.
Luckily you can save the game and everything is back when you hop back in. It's a 3 second fix on a SSD, but I can see that being really annoying on a spinning disk.

I'm trying to limit my fps to 60 using NV Inspector, but only works when enabled globally. I have fallout.exe and launcher.exe in my Fallout 4 profile but doesn't limit the fps.

I get the disappearing weapon/UI bug pretty regularly. Seems to mostly happen when I pull out my weapon close to a wall.
Luckily you can save the game and everything is back when you hop back in. It's a 3 second fix on a SSD, but I can see that being really annoying on a spinning disk.

it is annoying on a spinning disk :( My load times in the outside world border on 60 seconds which seems like an eternity.

I'm trying to limit my fps to 60 using NV Inspector, but only works when enabled globally. I have fallout.exe and launcher.exe in my Fallout 4 profile but doesn't limit the fps.

I started using the Rivatuner limiter that works with MSI Afterburner. Seems to be more reliable than nVidia Inspector these days.

Well, this one was a first.

Game suddenly locked up. Alt tab to kill it but decided to try one more time to tab back in again before putting it down.

Well, it worked. I go right back in to a responsive game... with a missing world. After a couple seconds, everything poofs into existence and I'm half way across the map, immediately discovering a new area.

I have no idea what the fuck. It was like I got teleported without a load screen to somewhere I've never been.

I was getting quite a few 'out of memory' errors (after reboots with nothing else running) and high settings, but haven't had any the past couple of days.

Had the missing UI bug once, and the missing weapon has occurred to me, but just unequipping/equipping has fixed it.

Oh, and the usual Fallout/Elder Scrolls jankiness: main character disappearing into a Brahmin that walked by while talking to an NPC; NPC that decided to start a conversation with me while I was in the middle of a storyline conversation, cancelling the interaction; etc.

Well, this one was a first.

Game suddenly locked up. Alt tab to kill it but decided to try one more time to tab back in again before putting it down.

Well, it worked. I go right back in to a responsive game... with a missing world. After a couple seconds, everything poofs into existence and I'm half way across the map, immediately discovering a new area.

I have no idea what the fuck. It was like I got teleported without a load screen to somewhere I've never been.

Could be a partial application crash caused by the gfx card being unstable.
ie the gfx card became unstable but before the error could be trapped by the driver, the game partially crashed, allowing the gfx system to cool down enough to start behaving again.
Because the driver and application hadnt fully crashed, it was able to resume but with a side effect, time distortion.

I've had a similar effect when alt tabbing out of some crashes and going back in and being able to continue.
Not tried it on this game cos I'm still trying to finish Witcher 3, its fecking HUGE.

Anyone having the game just randomly and upruptly just close? No error messages or anything, the game just closes. Seems to only happy when you first try to fire up a loaded game, at least for me.

Yes I get this when I start it. Sometimes it takes 4 times before it stays running.

So my system is fairly decent I think.
3570k @ 4.5
390x @ 1150/1700 or 1100/1700. Card speed seems to have no bearing on performance.
16Gb RAM
Benq freesync 1440p

This is my first fallout game. I'm a little overwhelmed. But, when I first started I couldn't get over 20 fps. I unlocked frames and wouldn't get over 47 fps. I put it in border less window and that fixed it. Fps over 100, Until I used a terminal and got stuck trying to exit the terminal so I locked fps at 99. Fixed that issue.
When I'm running around the commonwealth I'm getting 60-80 fps. But in a city I'm like 25-50 and 25 fps fucking sucks when you are in combat. Gpu usage according to afterburner is fairly low. Now I'm just annoyed. Even with latest and driver and the beta update.
Everything is ultra and god rays are off.

Last edited:
I get occasional game shutdowns. I've had it happen twice thus far. I'll just be walking and POW - I'm back at my desktop sans any error message or warning.
Got a couple of lock-ups on the loading screen, too.

Par for the course - it's a Bethesda game. Skyrim was probably the most stable of the bunch for me.

No crashes so far but i do have a graphical bug at the quarry near Concord. Stone there is featureless in some areas and fine in other places there. Nothing game breaking though.

Found a weird glitch. For some reason when I would travel to another settlement other than Sanctuary, I would check my settlement stats and got this:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/644375363400957467/64CD97561C8469C640FC90D5D819ECDEA5730771/

Obviously I don't have zero water, power, and only 6 beds. When I fast traveled back to Sanctuary, everything was fine and the stats corrected themselves. But I've seen it happen several times now.

Also, I had a notification that a certain settlement was being attacked. I fast traveled there immediately and nothing was happening. Waited for a bit, then left. About 10 or so minutes later, I get a notification that I failed the settlement defense and everyone there (only 2 people) was dead. WTF?

anyone else still have there Fallout on steam that says "Fallout [beta]" still? :confused:

I think the stable and beta branches are the same right now, but if you opted for the beta I think it still says [beta].

If you are on the beta branch you will likely get the next beta patch as soon as it comes out. So if you don't want that then maybe switch back to the stable branch. :cool:

At least, this is the way at works as far as I know with games like ArmA 3 so I assume it's the same here since it's all via Steam.

If you are on the beta branch you will likely get the next beta patch as soon as it comes out. So if you don't want that then maybe switch back to the stable branch. :cool:

At least, this is the way at works as far as I know with games like ArmA 3 so I assume it's the same here since it's all via Steam.

its not giving me any options for opting out.

I am playing with a few texture mods and using a sweetfx/shader re-texture with DOF. My rig was fluctuating a lot and my 980 Ti's would struggle to keep 60 FPS at 4K. I decided to bite the bullet and turned a few settings down from Ultra. I dropped AA to FXAA, and dropped shadows/distance down to high from Ultra. I'll be damned but I cannot even tell a difference between these settings and Ultra, but my FPS are now pegged at 60 FPS using the texture mods and SweetFX/re-shader.

I lost my ability to use the pipboy app today. was working fine last night and since the game released. Any ideas of what to try?

In the app i can search for my computer and connect and it says "Success" and then as soon as I load a game it says connection error.

already reset both computer and phone. firewall settings are still there.

Last edited:
Back