Fahrenheit Is A Better Temperature Scale Than Celsius

When decimal places becomes one of the highlights for the argument, it's probably not a very good one. Precision is in the measurement, not just whole numbers used to present it. lol

This is [H] so we should favor the nerdy, more scientific option. Hence I vote for C :D But more seriously, basing the temperature scale on the melting point and boiling point of H2O is the natural thing to do. Water is the major component of humans and most living organisms.

Fahrenheit is an anthropomorphic scale. 0° is around the temperature when it's unreasonably cold and 100° is when it's so hot the only thing you can do is sit in a body of water. In the shade, Holding a box fan. Drinking cold beer. And let's not forget to mention, hating your miserable excuse of a life and hoping that you drop the fan in said body of water to put you out of your misery.

For all things that aren't anthropomorphic, SI is obviously the way to go.

Not sure if this is sarcasm...
Its ignorance of the idea variant of F existed long before specific points on the scale were pegged to Freezing and Boiling points of water which were fractional adjustment.

Fahrenheit is an anthropomorphic scale. 0° is around the temperature when it's unreasonably cold and 100° is when it's so hot the only thing you can do is sit in a body of water. In the shade, Holding a box fan. Drinking cold beer. And let's not forget to mention, hating your miserable excuse of a life and hoping that you drop the fan in said body of water to put you out of your misery.

100F is not that hot in dry climates. In AZ, the hottest I ever saw it while I lived there was around 118F. Now in that heat, you don't go outside as it is just too hot. The blacktop on the roads and parking lots starts to melt when it gets around 115 or so.. some places even less depending on what the blacktop is made of.

Nothing like leaving tire tracks in blacktop and also leaving shoe prints in blacktop. :D

Up to around 112F is not that bad though. I used to rid my bike for hours in that kind of temperature.

I keep waiting for the Euros to come up with a decimal time system, and tell us how stupid americans are for not adopting their superior and awesome 100 second minutes, etc.

I recall there was indeed a proposal to make minutes into 100 seconds.

Fahrenheit wins because:

Fahrenheit 451 has a much better ring to it than Celcius 232.777778

And,

"That's why, I'm hot blooded, check it and see
I got a fever of a thirty nine point four four four four four four...
Come on baby, do you do more than dance?
I'm hot blooded, hot blooded"

Just doesn't have the same sound. :p

Being Canadian I use mostly the metric scales (C and K), I have the house thermostats in F has they are more precise in temperature control allowing finer temperature control.

Being an engineer, I'll take in what ever units the customer has given, ALL work and final output will be in metric - unless specifically requested, and major increase in fees would be assessed. Imperial is vastly harder to work with over metric and is ripe for committing errors. NASA has learned this lesson the hard way...

Fahrenheit wins because:

Fahrenheit 451 has a much better ring to it than Celcius 232.777778

Just doesn't have the same sound. :p

Not a scientific or pragmatic argument, but you get a cookie for the reference :D

I use Metric all day except when cooking. Since most food sites I visit are from the US I'm doomed :/ So yeah, use whatever fits you; to discuss measurement systems is not as exciting or passionate as good old Green vs. Red anyway :D

Base 10 numbering system... case closed. Just for the record I prefer to use F for temps and weight....

Let's play spot the stupid countries....

WorldMapMetric-1024x4931.jpg

And yet we are technologically more advanced! :trollsauce:

Actually, either Fahrenheit or Celsius is great a means to troll the person who is comfortable with the opposite measurement.

I prefer Celsius for the simple fact that it's way easier to spell than Fahreinhe... er Farenh... er Fahrinhe... er °F

I can only hang in Fahrenheit. Grew up with it and my old brain can't (nor will) make the switch to Celsius. This old dog is a Fahrenheit dog and this old dog ain't learning any new tricks. I can be out in the weather or put my hand under running water and tell what the approx temp is in Fahrenheit. Ask me what it is in Celsius and my brain just shuts down. Fuck Celsius, I ain't got time.

I call BS. You want accuracy you go Kelvin, and if you're gonna go Kelvin then Celcius naturally extends from there as the ideal unit for everyday use.

When I was living in the US I got used to fahrenheit, but overall I prefer celsius because it's more familiar. I don't find one easier than the other though, so it's merits are purely familiarity.

I definitely prefer the metric system for distances/fluids/weights/etc, no question about that. It's clearly superior. I'm amazed the US never switched.

Here's my prediction:

The next Mars mission that blows up or slams into the martian surface - another "feet to meter" or "Celsius to Fahrenheit" conversion blunder is just a matter of time - will break the camel's back and trigger a nationwide campaign in favor of scientific units, finally joining the rest of the planet, so that another trillion dollars and a ten year setback in the shadow of China is avoided, better late than never lol.

I call BS. You want accuracy you go Kelvin, and if you're gonna go Kelvin then Celcius naturally extends from there as the ideal unit for everyday use.

Why do people keep saying this?

People want whole number precision. One degree of Kelvin equals one degree of Celcius the only difference is the 273.15 degree offset between absolute zero and the freezing point of water. The whole number precision is the exact same as Celcius, your argument is completely wrong and invalid. Good day sir! :D

... because "without having to delve into decimals" is an advantage... exactly why?

to those saying "why wouldn't you go to decimals" guess what the precision is with decimals... hint it's still a factor of 1.8

Now maybe you don't care about that level of precision, in which case fine, but stop pretending the accuracy differences change just because you go to decimals, because it doesn't.

oh gosh.. dont start talking about changing time. we have enough trouble with those DST advocates trying to "change time" as it is! :p

0°C - water freezes. 100°C - water boils.

Humans are mostly water, at ~28°C.

Celcius allows you to precisely gauge whether your environment is pushing your body towards vaporization or solidification. Easy to read between the lines?

0° F - Damn cold, but not outside the range of living.
100°+F - Damn hot, but not outside the range of living.

Yes, for scientific/technical uses, I think Celsius is far better. But for "everyday human experience," Fahrenheit is a good scale. It encompasses the entire common spectrum of temperatures you will experience outdoors in North America, Australia, and Europe.

Much as "MPH" is a good "everyday human experience" scale for speed - 100 MPH is "damn fast, but not so fast that you will never experience it yourself." 100 Km/h is not "damn fast", it's just "fast."

to those saying "why wouldn't you go to decimals" guess what the precision is with decimals... hint it's still a factor of 1.8

Now maybe you don't care about that level of precision, in which case fine, but stop pretending the accuracy differences change just because you go to decimals, because it doesn't.

Alright, you are making a mistake here between relative and absolute precision. Sure, if we go to decimal in both F and C, the relative factor between them is still 1.8. But so what? Who cares about that? What is truly relevant is how accurately you can represent temperature with both units. And the answer is you can do so as accurately as you desire by selecting the relevant number of decimal places. Using F or C is immaterial in this context.

I asked a question like this almost ten years ago.

I thought since Fahrenheit is smaller, the motherboard monitoring software will be able to display smaller changes in temperature.

It turns out practically all motherboard sensors and monitoring software are based on Celcius, they'll just convert to Fahrenheit is you prefer that unit. So no difference.

Same for healthcare workplaces, body statistics like height and weight are actually recorded in metric units, they just tell it to you in imperial units.

I have decimals on my thermometer in the F scale,
cubicle-cold.jpg

Don't use a calculator or look it up.
How many yards are in 1.5 miles?
How many meters are in 1.5 kilometers?

Let's play spot the stupid countries....

WorldMapMetric-1024x4931.jpg

Map is wrong. England uses degrees C, but mph. My co-worker there and I talk constantly and that is what is in common use. AFAIK mph isn't metric.

I don't find 0C unreasonably cold. This jan/feb, I think i would have gone out without a jacket to pick up the mail at 0c :)

Seriously, does it matter? If you ask me whats the best scale, its non other than Kelvin. Cause 0K is absolutely 0 and it is the lowest possible temp in theory (not possible in reality since you can never have absolute 0 energy).

This is the only scale does not get into -ve range the value 0 has a significant meaning (those who study physics will know).

For C, its simply just a convenient way of having 0C which means freezing point of water, and 100C is boiling point.

F I am not sure since I live in a country that uses metric scale. But what I don't like about F is that the number seems too big. For eg, 100C = 212F.... Wow, 212 is not exactly a small number. Normal body temp is 100F.... again looks big.... Thats all.

IMHO, 1F or 1C change don't make much of a difference.

Celsius was Swedish so I am biased but I think Celsius makes the most sense at least in countries that have snow. It makes it easy to understand that above 0 it will be rain and below 0 it will be snow. In Fahrenheit I don't know if it is 36 degrees to bring an umbrella or a winter coat.

But I'm the end it is about what you are used too.

Back