Facebook's Eroding Privacy Policy: A Timeline

Well, that's a given for anything that's posted on the internet, unfortunately. My point was that there's not much you can do about it other than delete pretty much everything, account included, so that at least people can't search for these things via the regular channels.

Anyone wanna get together and make a new facebook that's much simpler and doesn't involve any of this privacy-infringement non-sense?

After scanning that article again, it appears that even deleting your account doesn't protect you. The only protection is abstinence.....or use a fake name and never post anything that can be tied to you.

All in all, I'm glad my facebook presence is virtually nil....was about to dive in last year when all of the changes started and quickly shut it down.

So facebook knows by birthday, knows what college I attend, knows the name of my girlfriend, knows my favorite bands, movies, TV shows, thinks I'm a fascist, and agnostic, and lastly.. it knows my school email address. How exactly does this harm me in any way? Not being sarcastic, I'm just having a hard time relating the doom and gloom posts to reality.

It hurts you if that information becomes totally public. I'm pretty sure there are many hiring managers that will pass on an agnostic fascist. I'm fairly certain that people who wish to do you harm would love information about your girlfriend, where you go to school, and other information that may be useful in stealing more valuable information.

In the end, none of that may matter to you, but it appears with facebook you have no choice.

It hurts you if that information becomes totally public. I'm pretty sure there are many hiring managers that will pass on an agnostic fascist. I'm fairly certain that people who wish to do you harm would love information about your girlfriend, where you go to school, and other information that may be useful in stealing more valuable information.

In the end, none of that may matter to you, but it appears with facebook you have no choice.

Fair enough. As it currently stands, a prospective employer would have to be networked to me somehow to view my information. If that changes, I can update/remove profile information I find controversial.

Fair enough. As it currently stands, a prospective employer would have to be networked to me somehow to view my information. If that changes, I can update/remove profile information I find controversial.

I found I could view at least some of your photos last night by simply being logged into facebook and somehow being "networked" to you. Which is pretty amazing considering I only have 1 person friended on my account.

Jonathan, you gotta be at least slightly creeped out at the possibilities by now. :p

I'm not one of the douches who decry anything related to social networking, but I'm close to dumping Facebook. I just logged in and was faced with the "make your connections" pop up that would not let me click out of it.

After I was confronted by that "make your connections" pop-up (which resulted in me quoting Admiral Ackbar and opting to remove all connections instead), I proceeded to remove nearly all other personal details. I'm now down to a handful of profile pictures and several pictures I've been tagged in, my first and last name, my email address, two authorized non-Facebook applications, and stuff that I post or link to on my wall.

It's a bit irritating to have to keep on my toes in regards to the ever-changing/self-changing privacy settings, but at this point there isn't exactly a whole lot of personal information left on there that I'd care to hide anyway. Besides, Google has waaaaaaay more crap on me than Facebook ever did. :p

After I was confronted by that "make your connections" pop-up (which resulted in me quoting Admiral Ackbar and opting to remove all connections instead), I proceeded to remove nearly all other personal details. I'm now down to a handful of profile pictures and several pictures I've been tagged in, my first and last name, my email address, two authorized non-Facebook applications, and stuff that I post or link to on my wall.

It's a bit irritating to have to keep on my toes in regards to the ever-changing/self-changing privacy settings, but at this point there isn't exactly a whole lot of personal information left on there that I'd care to hide anyway. Besides, Google has waaaaaaay more crap on me than Facebook ever did. :p

Therefore you must be a thief, murderer, and terrorist with much evil to hide if you have to keep up with your online privacy. :p

I found I could view at least some of your photos last night by simply being logged into facebook and somehow being "networked" to you. Which is pretty amazing considering I only have 1 person friended on my account.

Try it now, a lot of my privacy settings were still viewable by "everyone."

Jonathan, you gotta be at least slightly creeped out at the possibilities by now. :p

Slightly, more creeped out that you're calling me by my full first name!

Try it now, a lot of my privacy settings were still viewable by "everyone."

Slightly, more creeped out that you're calling me by my full first name!

You realized that all of those pictures have already gotten cached to sites all over the web right?

After yesterday's "bug" where unauthorized apps were automatically added to profiles, I gave up and used the perma-delete to rid myself of Facebook altogether.

The hard part was remembering to dump cookies, remove it from Pidgin and TweetDeck so that the damned thing doesn't get reactivated.

And that, chaps, is why you don't upload any pictures other than a generic profile picture to Facebook.

After scanning that article again, it appears that even deleting your account doesn't protect you. The only protection is abstinence.....or use a fake name and never post anything that can be tied to you.

All in all, I'm glad my facebook presence is virtually nil....was about to dive in last year when all of the changes started and quickly shut it down.

Well what would you do otherwise? Go to facebook HQ and point a gun at the storage administrators head asking that person to delete everything with your name on it? Not much you can do once you've already put that stuff up there.

Well what would you do otherwise? Go to facebook HQ and point a gun at the storage administrators head asking that person to delete everything with your name on it? Not much you can do once you've already put that stuff up there.

The thing is that increasingly, you can't make these things private. If it's on their system, but you can prevent that data from ever being visible to anyone other than your friends, then that's fine.

As time marches on, it's almost impossible to do that.

With that said, if I delete a profile, they should delete the account and all the content within it.

Back