Facebook Timeline Feature Really Unpopular

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to a new survey, Facebook's Timeline is pretty unpopular with the masses. So, do you love it, hate it or don't really care either way?

Overall, only 20% of those surveyed said they liked the new Facebook Timeline; 70% hate it. Voters aged between 18 and 24 were the most likely to like the new Facebook Timeline, with 30% approving of the design change. Senior citizens were the least likely to approve of the feature — only 10% prefer it over the older version of the site.

Last edited:
I don't really care that much. I don't see it as much of an improvement over the previous UI design (the alternating column posting seems less intuitive than a normal straight-down list) but it's really not a huge change. People just like to complain a lot, especially the less tech-savvy (i.e. most of Facebook).

I like the change. Looks a whole lot cleaner than any other version of the profile UI. I guess I'm just in the hypothetical 30%.

They should go back to the original UI from back in 2005... call me nostalgic...

But no, not an improvement from the previous UI. Things are just not accessible.

The day they force me to change to Timeline, is the day I deactivate my account and switch to Google+.

Isn't this what happens every time Facebook changes any aspect of their UI?

people complain, they start "change back to the old layout" groups they try to start petitions, and then eventually it dies out and everyone just goes on using it until the next UI change...

Many of these same people would probably hate it facebook returned to its original UI today :p

Personally, I'll say this about timeline.

It's nice to be able to scroll back and review past posts.

The fact that the posts alternate back and forth from side to side is a little annoying though, as its easy to miss something your looking for if you skim quickly down the page.

It's still missing a search feature which is annoying as well.

yah add a search function that you can control the privacy settings of, and I'm good. I've been using it for awhile now and prefer it over the old design a lot.

Don't care. I don't have a facebook account and will never have one.

I used to feel this way, and I still feel facebook/myspace and other crap like that is incredibly stupid, but the problem is when you live in a world where all your peers use it as their primary method of communication, you get left out if you don't use it as well.

I disagree with my peers choices (I'd rather they email or call me) but I can't change that.

So as someone who despises social networking, my choices are to either reluctantly use it, or miss out on parties/events/announcements from my friends that they post on facebook and on facebook only.

It sucks, but I've learned to deal.

I only use Facebook to comment on other peoples threads, so I never really see this interface change anyhow.
As mentioned already, people will bitch for a few weeks, learn to like it, then bitch again when the next change comes, learn to like it, rinse/repeat.

and checking my own profile - i don't have it yet.. though they were forcing it out on everyone?

I think it sucks, should've stayed minimalistic. Then again I only spend about 8 minutes a week on FB just to check messages and keep in touch with extended family.

reminds me of myspace with to much sh*t on peoples profiles.

echoing others.. I try to avoid it mostly.. but.. I have connected with people through it.. people I lost contact with 20, 30 years ago.. for that purpose.. I love it.

I haven't engaged the timeline UI..looked at a friends page..meh.. ok, busier.. and I prefer simpler.. but will adjust if necessary

i think to say facebook sucks to me just means you either dont know how to use it, or just want to jump on the bandwagon cause it is a popular tool

I think facebook can be very useful as a tool if you know how to use it and not just jump in and accept stupid game requests and add everyone that asks as a friend.

Article summary: old people hate change, youngsters love to hop on the latest and greatest bandwagon, Timline UI developed by actual UI designer is actually pretty efficient.

I think facebook can be very useful as a tool if you know how to use it and not just jump in and accept stupid game requests and add everyone that asks as a friend.

I agree. I just don't really think its worth all the privacy issues.

If Facebook suddenly changed, and private really meant private, Apps could only collect data for the function of the app, not for the data mining purposes of the app maker, then I might be more likely to embrace it.

As it stands I am a reluctant member, due to my social circles.

I used to have the Facebook applications platform completely disabled due to all the security concerns it entails, but then Spotify in a dick move, went ahead and required Facebook connectivity. (I wonder how much they were paid for that...)

Facebooks repeats their mantra about being a company that helps people share, and that is the point of their existence. What they don't seem to understand (or more likely willfully ignore due to the profit potential) is that there are certain things people don't want to share, and certain companies/people they don't want to share it with.

Their "opt-out" rather than "opt-in" privacy scheme, coupled with constant changes that force you to be on top of all of their intentionally obfuscated security settings is really an outright criminal abuse.

and checking my own profile - i don't have it yet.. though they were forcing it out on everyone?
I think you have a few weeks left until its forced on everyone....I'm thinking I heard late February for it to be implemented

I hated it at first, switched because it was inevitable, now, it's pretty regular. Who would've thought!

Anyone know when the timeline UI will be forced upon the masses? I'm resisting it as long as possible, and really don't know what action I'll take once / if it's forced on us. About the only thing I use FB for is to keep in touch with family and a few friends.

i think to say facebook sucks to me just means you either dont know how to use it, or just want to jump on the bandwagon cause it is a popular tool

No matter what I still have very little use for Facebook. I have an account but it gets updated only when my sister reminds me that she wants to see new pictures of her nephews. It may be popular but lots of stupid things are popular. I fully understand that my opnions are just that and don't try to force them on others as I have a wife that is addicted to FB. I personally find it to be a massive waste of time and really don't care what everyone else wants to do with it. I have better things to spend my time on IRL than caring about all the online social junk someone else wants to post.

Honestly I don't know how I'm going to be able to function in this world once I get into my later years. I'm only 23 years old, but I already get so sick and tired of people bitching and moaning about this type of stuff. It's a damn website that changed its layout, big deal! As has already been noted, Facebook has changed things dozens of times before, and each time people have apprehension but then eventually stop caring, and Facebook gets bigger and bigger.

It's just like politics... the same thing over and over and over again, and people complain over and over and over again, but nothing ever changes because they people don't really care... they just want to complain. It's insanity.

i really don't care, I find it much better than the old one, much organized imo, but generally I don't care, I don't even know why people are complaining about it. on the bright side I don't see why people give a big deal of "not" having a FB profile of some sort. its like a big chunk of leet factor is subtracted from your manly character if you have one. :D

No matter what I still have very little use for Facebook. I have an account but it gets updated only when my sister reminds me that she wants to see new pictures of her nephews. It may be popular but lots of stupid things are popular. I fully understand that my opnions are just that and don't try to force them on others as I have a wife that is addicted to FB. I personally find it to be a massive waste of time and really don't care what everyone else wants to do with it. I have better things to spend my time on IRL than caring about all the online social junk someone else wants to post.

Chances are your wife is cheating on you.

I see the new layout as not an improvement, but as an opportunity for FB to incorporate more ads into user's pages.

With their current column setup, your content and ad content are separated, but with the timeline page, you'll have a picture of yourself, an advertisement that looks like a photo, then another one of your photos, all together as if it was meant to be there. They get around it being "shady" by making subtle difficult to see (for older/dumber users) bordering between the ad and your content.

TLDR: It's all about the ad $$$.

I don't have that problem. I have a iPhone 4 and a desktop plus iPad 2. They all get emails and one I can talk on so everyone knows how to reach me. I see facebook as a joke. It's like look at me I just took a shit so everyone knows I did that!

Zarathustra[H];1038351565 said:
I used to feel this way, and I still feel facebook/myspace and other crap like that is incredibly stupid, but the problem is when you live in a world where all your peers use it as their primary method of communication, you get left out if you don't use it as well.

I disagree with my peers choices (I'd rather they email or call me) but I can't change that.

So as someone who despises social networking, my choices are to either reluctantly use it, or miss out on parties/events/announcements from my friends that they post on facebook and on facebook only.

It sucks, but I've learned to deal.

I do not now, nor ever will have a "Face Book".:eek:

I prefer the telephone, or actual in person communication.

I also still write letters, with a pen and paper, using an envelope and stamp.

I use Facebook to keep up with friends who are in remote parts of the world. Timeline is more graphical than previous iterations of FB, otherwise it is pretty much the same as it always was.

I really don't know what everyone is complaining about. Then again, people are complaining about a free-to-use service that nobody is forced to participate in. If you don't like it, don't use it. End of discussion.

PS: How I interpret certain statements made so far...

"Screw FaceBook, I'm going to use Google +" = "I'm going to use the approximate equivalent of the service I already use that's a ToS or graphical update away from putting me in the same situation I'm in right now: Complaining about how a free-to-use service I don't have to use has maligned me."

"I frown upon your Facebook usage; I prefer to use pen, paper, email, and other antiquated forms of communication" = "I'm somehow better for using longer-established tools for communicating that have as many faults as your chosen medium for parlaying ideas."

Just sayin'.

I use Facebook to keep up with friends who are in remote parts of the world. Timeline is more graphical than previous iterations of FB, otherwise it is pretty much the same as it always was.

"I frown upon your Facebook usage; I prefer to use pen, paper, email, and other antiquated forms of communication" = "I'm somehow better for using longer-established tools for communicating that have as many faults as your chosen medium for parlaying ideas."

Just sayin'.

I think you give me more credit than I'm worth.
I just stated that i don't see the value of the medium, and I'm certainly in the minority.
I do not see paper and pen as antiquated......they certainly have been around much longer than FaceBook, and will no doubt survive long after.

I am no better or worse than you. I just chose a different format. Works for me.:D

Back