Eyefinity question/rant

polonyc2

Fully [H]
seems more and more people here at [H] are jumping on the Eyefinity train...to get the most from Eyefinity for gaming wouldn't you need to get 3 high end 'gaming' LCD's...people seem to be getting 3 crap monitors and linking them up and calling it gaming bliss...I currently have the NEC 2490WUXi LCD which is one of the best LCD's on the market...and they are actually excellent for gaming as well from my experience

if I were to go Eyefinity I would want to get 2 more of these same LCD's (or something similar)...image quality, response time, standard gamut etc all are important factors when choosing an LCD and people seem to be ignoring these just for the sake of having a 3 LCD Eyefinity setup

so if you're going to sacrifice image quality and overall performance in each screen does it really make it a worthy setup?...of course price is the main factor in this but then why not wait before jumping into this?...or am I missing something and is Eyefinity so awesome that I can link 3 cheap LCD's and it will provide such an awesome experience?...I'd rather have 1 top of the line amazing 24" LCD versus having 3 average 24" Eyefinity ones

I'm not knocking people who have Eyefinity but I'm just curious the rationale behind the purchase

Given that many have LCDs they are already happy with, I imagine they will get another 2 the same.
No need to be so elite.

Get 1 top of the line LCD for the center and two cheap LCDs for the sides. Problem solved. Sides monitors are for peripheral vision and immersion factor.

Plus, many people already have 1 or 2 LCD monitors they are happy with. Its much cheaper to buy one or 2 more.

Bottom line is it always comes down to cost and with the minor differences between a high end monitor vs 3 average monitors, many prefer the 3 average LCDs in an Eyefinity setup.

Get 1 top of the line LCD for the center and two cheap LCDs for the sides. Problem solved. Sides monitors are for peripheral vision and immersion factor.

good point there...

but the people that have the cash and knowledge to get an Eyefinity setup must be huge gamers that have top of the line video card(s) and other components...so I would think that image quality would/should be very important to those people as well

Last edited:
Well like you said cost is mostly the issue. That said I would recommend the following for choosing an Eyefinity setup.

I'd say for eyefinity you need 3 monitors with relatively low response times(2 ms GTG, 5 ms color seems to be alright). In my case I already had the BenQ 2400WD. These disappeared off the market so I had no choice but to find two other panels of which at least one had a DisplayPort or I would have to by an active adapter.

All 3 monitors should have as many similarities as possible(rez, response times, LCD dimensions). Variable bezel width can be dealt with if your using LCD panels.

This is before color correction because I haven't gotten around to taking another pic of the result of color calibration with the Eye One Display 2.
4180699862_f32467769b_b.jpg

You might notice the two side monitors are offset at an angel so that the innermost bezels of the two outside monitors are hidden behind the bezels of the main monitor when sitting where I do when I game.

Performance can also be an issue even with the 5870, thank god there are lower Eyefinity resolutions. For 16:10 screens these should be the possibilities.(edit seems 3840x1024 went away with 10.1 Catalyst but now 5040x1050 now shows up and is indeed the correct aspect ratio)
5760x1200
5040x1050
3840x1024
2400x600

Theoretically you could have 3 panels that didn't support all the same resolutions but did have at least one they could all use. You might be able to enable Eyefinity even in that situation.

Cost is the ultimate reason though that I think people chain together some monitors that might not be the cream of the crop experience as far as EF is concerned. If I had some old monitors I could do it with and still get a taste of what it's all about I would because the cost/experience ratio is so high.

Last edited:
Well like you said cost is mostly the issue. That said I would recommend the following for choosing an Eyefinity setup.

I'd say for eyefinity you need 3 monitors with relatively low response times(2 ms GTG, 5 ms color seems to be alright). In my case I already had the BenQ 2400WD. These disappeared off the market so I had no choice but to find two other panels of which at least one had a DisplayPort or I would have to by an active adapter.

All 3 monitors should have as many similarities as possible(rez, response times, LCD dimensions). Variable bezel width can be dealt with if your using LCD panels.

You might notice the two side monitors are offset at an angel so that the innermost bezels of the two outside monitors are hidden behind the bezels of the main monitor when sitting where I do when I game.

nice setup!...3 24" LCD's is really nice

all 3 LCD's almost look identical...the angles of the side monitor's brings up another potential issue for those going the cheaper Eyefinity route...with those cheaper TN panels and their limited viewing angles that might present another issue

me personally the bare minimum in terms of Eyefinity would be 3 Dell U2410's...but I would really want 3 NEC 2490WUXi's

all 3 LCD's almost look identical...the angles of the side monitor's brings up another potential issue for those going the cheaper Eyefinity route...with those cheaper TN panels and their limited viewing angles that might present another issue

me personally the bare minimum in terms of Eyefinity would be 3 Dell U2410's...but I would really want 3 NEC 2490WUXi's

I finally settled on an angle for the side monitors of about 22 degrees so that the best viewing angles for each side monitor are in line with my peripheral vision. As for the U2410's yes we're all jealous Kyle. That would sure be nice, but I saved up for 1/2 year to be able to afford what I ended up getting(don't have a lot of spare cash as a full time employee, and full time college student!) I'm won't chance upsetting the gods of gaming gluttony by wishing for more than I've already been blessed with:)

Last edited:
LCD quality tradeoff will always be there regardless of Eyefinity.

I went from a 22" cheap Acer LCD to 3x Dell 23" P2310H. So relatively speaking I didn't sacrifice anything... and I have already satisfied with the 'gaming quality' of the Acer. So it doesn't bother me.

Ditto, 3xU2410's looks like an essential minimum for me coming from a 3007WFP-HC if I make the switch. :(

This seems like more of a discussion for the Displays forum honestly. If I understand the OP correctly, he seems to think it's "wrong" to game on a cheaper monitor, so it's 3 x wrong to game on 3 cheaper monitors.

I find this line of thinking to be wrong.

I work on IPS / PVA panels, but I like my faster TN monitor for my gaming PC. Simple as that. A lot of TN monitors these days have "nice" colors. Realistic? No. But if you're not doing print or photo work and you're gaming they look fine. So why spend the extra money on something less responsive?

I had 3 of the Dell P2310H's on order but they kept on getting backordered so I gave up and went to Costco and got 3 Acer P244W's ( 24" 1920 X 1080 2ms) for 169 a piece with no tax in Oregon. Here is a video of my setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3RdI30JRU It also has some footage of my new build as well . The monitors are at 2 minutes or so. So far its been awesome and no real big issues. If you get a non-displayport monitor remember you will have to get a female mini displayport to standard male displayport cord and a dual link dvi --> mini displayport adapater. I got the Apple one and it works great. MW2 , TF2 and COD4 look amazing in eyefinity. Here is some MW2 footage I took with we game playing MW2 http://www.wegame.com/watch/mw2-eyefinity/ . Also you have to get dopefish's widescreen fixer from the widescreengaming forums to play MW2 and COD4 without the screen being stretched.

I ALMOST went the "cheap route", since I blew most of my budget on the new build (and the 5970 I didn't expect to be able to find :cool: ). After seeing some TNs in action, I opted to go for the 2209WAs. SOOOO glad I at least went with the IPS. Color is awesome, and viewing angles are, of course, are not an issue.

Later in the year I may implement a single 3008 for my "single monitor" games. Right now, though, lovin' me some Eyefinity... :D

seems more and more people here at [H] are jumping on the Eyefinity train...to get the most from Eyefinity for gaming wouldn't you need to get 3 high end 'gaming' LCD's...people seem to be getting 3 crap monitors and linking them up and calling it gaming bliss...I currently have the NEC 2490WUXi LCD which is one of the best LCD's on the market...and they are actually excellent for gaming as well from my experience

Gimme a break man. TN panels have the best response time of all LCD tech, so for gaming you'd think these would trump other panels. Sure for image editing, IPS panels are a must for viewing angle and color consistency (although a number of IPS panels suffer from slight color tinting and image persistence issues).

For gaming, TN panels do just fine and offer better movement quality than your NEC (and yes, I've owned TN, IPS, and PVA panels).

This seems like more of a discussion for the Displays forum honestly. If I understand the OP correctly, he seems to think it's "wrong" to game on a cheaper monitor, so it's 3 x wrong to game on 3 cheaper monitors.

I work on IPS / PVA panels, but I like my faster TN monitor for my gaming PC. Simple as that. A lot of TN monitors these days have "nice" colors. Realistic? No. But if you're not doing print or photo work and you're gaming they look fine. So why spend the extra money on something less responsive?

Exactly. I've used all three types of panels (PVA at work, IPS and TN at home). The TN panels have the quickest response times when gaming with less smear and persistence issues than either of my PVA and IPS monitors. Sure viewing angles are better on the PVA and IPS but in gaming, I value movement quality more than the minor improvement in angle consistency.

It only becomes an issue if you lay your 3 monitor setup at a 0 degree angle, meaning they're all flush against the wall. No one's doing this. All Eyefinity setups I've seen have the side monitors at an angle aimed toward the user, meaning TN panels do just fine with viewing angles. My three Samsung 2343BWX perform admirably and I don't really even use an extreme angle on the side monitors, maybe 30 degrees inward. No complaints about consistency here and I love the quick response times that TN offers.

I'd have to concur with Landscape, the tilting in solves that issue (I did go IPS, but tried TN first.)

I DID have some issues in Portrait mode, since I don't tilt my diplays in as much. That's what pushed me in the IPS direction.

I'd have to concur with Landscape, the tilting in solves that issue (I did go IPS, but tried TN first.)

I DID have some issues in Portrait mode, since I don't tilt my diplays in as much. That's what pushed me in the IPS direction.

Agree there. TN panels don't fare too well in portrait (vertical viewing angles aren't the best).

Yeah my Acer TN panels are perfect. I cant c any benefit in upgrading to ips panels I dont notice any viewing problems running in landscape with the 2 outer panels turned towards me about 30 degrees. And I love the FOV in all the games ive played so far. I can c ppl now right beside me as before I couldnt.

I can't believe how many people are saying how great their TN panels are...more power to you but to say they are better then IPS or PVA panels really is wishful thinking or rationalizing their purchase

the NEC 2490WUXi has an IPS panel and the response time is not an issue...and I'm a big time FPS gamer...I think most people will choose an IPS over a TN any day of the week...price is a legitmate reason to go with a TN but enough talk of TN panels being better then IPS :rolleyes:

one would think that Eyefinity would be reserved for the high end but I guess to some people it means putting lipstick on a pig

I can't believe how many people are saying how great their TN panels are...more power to you but to say they are better then IPS or PVA panels really is wishful thinking or rationalizing their purchase

the NEC 2490WUXi has an IPS panel and the response time is not an issue...and I'm a big time FPS gamer...I think most people will choose an IPS over a TN any day of the week...price is a legitmate reason to go with a TN but enough talk of TN panels being better then IPS :rolleyes:

one would think that Eyefinity would be reserved for the high end but I guess to some people it means putting lipstick on a pig

Yep, discussions always go this way on TN vs. IPS: simply put, it's like watching 480i TV vs. a nice 720/1080p projector setup, there's no contest: the HD setup's going to blow the standard def's socks off.

You need to read these posts again and perhaps stop rationalizing your purchase. No one's saying TN panels are better than either IPS or PVA across the board. IPS and PVA panels have an advantage in color consistency and viewing angles. Some slightly rational people seem to believe in this crazy notion that TN panels are good enough for gaming in terms of color consistency and viewing angle. GOOD ENOUGH being the operative phrase. And in one area that might be a bit important to gaming, TN panels are superior, namely screen response time. That's all. You're reading way too much into these posts man.

Yep, discussions always go this way on TN vs. IPS: simply put, it's like watching 480i TV vs. a nice 720/1080p projector setup, there's no contest: the HD setup's going to blow the standard def's socks off.

Geez, the hyperbole keeps coming. The difference between TN and IPS is much much closer to the difference between 720p and 1080i. Both have their advantage in different ways. TN panels have superior pixel response. IPS has superior color consistency and viewing angle at the cost of price. Take your pick.

You IPS guys (I have IPS and TN panels myself) are taking this holier than thou approach way too seriously man.

Edit: Another observation I've seen. I have no problems recommending either TN or IPS or PVA panels to anyone. Each has their distinct advantage. TN clearly has the price advantage. But there appear to be others here (namely IPS proponents) that see absolutely no value in panels other than IPS and actively ridicule those that think otherwise. This comes off as a little elitist IMHO.

good post :) a lot of people focus on the IPS panels for gaming which makes zero sense to me. I can understand why they're preferred when doing 90* rotated displays for the sides, but the response time (and refresh rates) of TN's is much much MUCH better for gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IPS dell... I wouldn't use anything else for Photoshop or 3dsmax work. But for gaming, give me my 120hz TN anyday :)

It only becomes an issue if you lay your 3 monitor setup at a 0 degree angle

Exactly. If you like one TN monitor's viewing angles, then three will be exactly the same. If you put them at a 0 degree angle you wouldn't be able to see much on the extremes anyway, and wouldn't have the same immersive feeling as being surrounded.

That said I went with three IPS panels because I really liked the one I had and don't personally like the color shifts at the edges of larger screens, but most TN panels seem good enough to me for gaming.

Both have their advantage in different ways. TN panels have superior pixel response. IPS has superior color consistency and viewing angle at the cost of price. Take your pick.

TN clearly has the price advantage. But there appear to be others here (namely IPS proponents) that see absolutely no value in panels other than IPS and actively ridicule those that think otherwise. This comes off as a little elitist IMHO.

A) TN panels' "superior pixel response" is irrelevant when it's 6ms H-IPS vs. 3ms TN. It's imperceptible at that point. Thus, IPS is better all-around.

B) You've gotta pay to play... nothing wrong with thinking TN is "good enough" for you, but you're deluding yourself to think it's as good as a solid IPS.

It only becomes an issue if you lay your 3 monitor setup at a 0 degree angle, meaning they're all flush against the wall.

Not true at all, a single TN panel has color shift at the sides and top/bottom, let alone further-angled ones to your sides.

A) TN panels' "superior pixel response" is irrelevant when it's 6ms H-IPS vs. 3ms TN. It's imperceptible at that point. Thus, IPS is better all-around.

B) You've gotta pay to play... nothing wrong with thinking TN is "good enough" for you, but you're deluding yourself to think it's as good as a solid IPS.

plus the response time advantage of TN panels are really overstated unless you are a competitive gamer who competes in tournaments...even then I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make...I mostly play FPS games and have never noticed any issues with response times...Modern Warfare 2, Crysis etc all play perfectly on my IPS...with the additional benefit of better color reproduction, viewing angles etc

Well currently I have each type of panel in my home.

I have a dell 2209WA, great colors and great viewing angle but worst black out of all monitors in the house. On a totally dark scene in a game or movie the black looks like a dark grey with a blueish tint.
A HP LP1965, great colors and viewing angles, best black out of all the monitors and minimal backlight blead, cons are everything is dark even with monitor on 100 percent brightness, ghosting when in fast action scenes in movies or games
2 Hanns-G HG281DPB, good colors, good blacks, slight backlight blead on edges,crisp text, no ghosting, cons would be poor viewing angles.

Personally I feel anyone trying to rationalize their type of panel is the best is the deluded ones and need to rationalize their purchase. For movies or games and text I like my daughters monitors the best. Before I purchase them their new monitors they had Hanns-G HW191D which I also thought were good monitors. Do I like my ips, yes but there is things I don't like about it like the blue tint on the black even on web pages like this one. I don't like working with pictures, especially if the picture have alot of dark in it, before printing them out. I do like being able to lay down in my bed and watch a movie with out it looking strange cause viewing angle is off. As for my pva, use it for all picture work and as my desktop monitor. I don't like viewing text on it especially if the lettering is small because the letters are not very crisp. Each type have their pros and cons and I honestly cannot say any is better than another. If they could take the colors from the ips, blacks from the pva, response and letter crispness of the TN and put them all together then there would be a monitor out there that people could say is the best.

If you're playing games where you have the time to notice the difference in color reproduction, viewing angles, ect, then you're not playing games fast enough to need the response times TN panels bring.

By your argument...
How do you put up with dual core processors? Dont you know that you're not getting the best experience without an OC'ed i7? I mean come on, HOW DO YOU PUT UP WITH DDR2 RAM?!?!!? And seriously?!?!? Gaming bliss with a G.Skill Falcon SSD?? The load times must be horrible compared to the Intel X25-M (I have a hard time managing with only the 80gig).

Also, I drive a C5 Corvette, what do people call "Driving" these days with such sub-par automobiles? They might as well not drive at all!

It's one thing to enjoy what you have and respectfully enlighten those who do not know better, but you're just screaming, "I'm elite! I'm elite! Anyone that has less than me shouldn't call themselves gamers!"

You IPS guys (I have IPS and TN panels myself) are taking this holier than thou approach way too seriously man.

Well put. Just because some people like their expensive toys doesn't mean those who don't care as much are "wrong." The premise of this thread, namely worrying about how other people spend their money, is pointless.

plus the response time advantage of TN panels are really overstated unless you are a competitive gamer who competes in tournaments...even then I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make...I mostly play FPS games and have never noticed any issues with response times...Modern Warfare 2, Crysis etc all play perfectly on my IPS...with the additional benefit of better color reproduction, viewing angles etc

You really seem like you are just trying to justify your purchase of an IPS panel to yourself and everyone else. Don't worry so much about how other people send their damn money. Most people don't want to spend upwards of $500 on a good IPS panel for gaming. That is, at minimum, $1500 worth of monitors for Eyefinity. FAR more than all but a few want to spend.

Exactly. I've used all three types of panels (PVA at work, IPS and TN at home). The TN panels have the quickest response times when gaming with less smear and persistence issues than either of my PVA and IPS monitors. Sure viewing angles are better on the PVA and IPS but in gaming, I value movement quality more than the minor improvement in angle consistency.

Obviously it's all personal preference. I don't consider the difference in viewing angles to be minor at all, and I'm more than willing to sacrifice a little response time for much better viewing angles and gorgeous colors. Plus I like large screens, and the deficiencies of TN panels are much more readily apparent & noticeable on the larger ones. No thanks.

TN panels viewing angles aren't horrible.. I don't think most people realize that the difference is only 4, or 9 degrees on each side. (You buy under 160° you get what you deserve, lol.) You should have your monitors offset at least a little when doing an eyefinity setup; you aren't going to notice any problems due to viewing angles.

Imho, the extra 200+ dollars for an IPS panel is not worth the color difference. But that's because I'm only a college student. If I had enough money to spare.. you bet your ass I'd be getting 3 IPS panels. Right now I'm happy with my two TN panels(1920x1200 && 1440x900), and when I upgrade to eyefinity I'll be buying two more TN panels.

The difference between an IPS and a TN panel for gaming and non-shooping is negligible compared to the difference between a SSD and a HDD; and I'm sure not all of you have 60g+ ssd yet. We all want the best, but that doesn't mean we can all afford it. :p

I don't know how this thread turned into an IPS vs TN debate...in my first post I never even mentioned the words TN panel...all I said was "people seem to be getting 3 crap monitors and linking them up and calling it gaming bliss"...people just took "3 crap monitors" to mean TN panels...some folks keep going on about elitist attitude and such...no such thing on my part...seems like TN panel owners are very defensive about their monitor...read my first post again and see if you can understand my point better :rolleyes:

what I was trying to say was that Eyefinity is an expensive upgrade and one would think that because of this people would want the 'best' in terms of this upgrade...why spend all that $$ on less then optimum hardware?...I wasn't referring to any specific type of LCD panel...I was more concerned about the price of these LCD's...linking up 3 $100 LCD's is not the same as linking up 3 quality LCD's

panel selection was not my main point

if I were to go Eyefinity I would want to get 2 more of these same LCD's (or something similar)...image quality, response time, standard gamut etc all are important factors when choosing an LCD and people seem to be ignoring these just for the sake of having a 3 LCD Eyefinity setup

so if you're going to sacrifice image quality and overall performance in each screen does it really make it a worthy setup?...of course price is the main factor in this but then why not wait before jumping into this?...or am I missing something and is Eyefinity so awesome that I can link 3 cheap LCD's and it will provide such an awesome experience?...I'd rather have 1 top of the line amazing 24" LCD versus having 3 average 24" Eyefinity ones

I'm not knocking people who have Eyefinity but I'm just curious the rationale behind the purchase

Last edited:
I don't know how this thread turned into an IPS vs TN debate...in my first post I never even mentioned the words TN panel...all I said was "people seem to be getting 3 crap monitors and linking them up and calling it gaming bliss"...people just took "3 crap monitors" to mean TN panels...some folks keep going on about elitist attitude and such...no such thing on my part...read my first post again and see if you can understand my point better :rolleyes:

what I was trying to say was that Eyefinity is an expensive upgrade and one would think that because of this people would want the 'best' in terms of this upgrade...why spend all that $$ on less then optimum hardware?...I wasn't referring to any specific type of LCD panel...I was more concerned about the price of these LCD's...linking up 3 $100 LCD's is not the same as linking up 3 quality LCD's

panel selection was not my main point

You should have said that when the first mention of TN vs IPS came up instead of contributing to the argument and making it sound like that is exactly what you meant. Still, my point stands. If people are happy, don't worry about it. Its their money and their problem if they buy the wrong displays. If they want to go and buy three one hundred dollar displays oh well, they'll probably end up regretting it. If people don't research what they're buying they get what they deserve. You should only concern yourself when someone is asking for an opinion or bitching about Eyefinity because they bought crap monitors.

If you were to go eyefinity you could easily get 2 PVAs, even refurbished ones, to go with your 2490. You do not need 3 completely identical monitors for eyefinity - in fact, basically all users with 3 monitors have 3 different displays. The percentage of users who calibrate their monitors with colorimeters, or even get 3 completely uniform units with no anomalies, is very low. Subjectively these differences can be very hard to see, especially when gaming.

The only thing holding you back would be the lack of sRGB non-TN monitors with displayport. You would either need to use an adapter (possibly unreliable), go with a U2410 in sRGB mode (and deal with the dithering bug) or get the 1080p IPS monitors with displayport (doable, since the 2490 has universal scaling options, but you lose resolution.) Or you could deal with wide gamut on the side displays, or turn it down with digital vibrance/AVIVO.

I'm also not sure that you would be better off with non-A-TW IPS over PVA.

I considered eyefinity but have largely disregarded it now.

As the OP says you really need decent panels for gaming, people are slapping together cheap TN eyefinity solutions together and the image quality looks pants, everytime I see pictures of the rigs I can see the brightness/colour/black shift between each of the 3 panels.

The problem is IPS panels are expensive, 3x24" is an insane amount of money, way more than you'd spend on a single 30" which IMO looks much better.

I considered eyefinity but have largely disregarded it now.

As the OP says you really need decent panels for gaming, people are slapping together cheap TN eyefinity solutions together and the image quality looks pants, everytime I see pictures of the rigs I can see the brightness/colour/black shift between each of the 3 panels.

The problem is IPS panels are expensive, 3x24" is an insane amount of money, way more than you'd spend on a single 30" which IMO looks much better.

totally agree...this is exactly what I was trying to get across in my first post...instead of 3 crap panels in Eyefinity those same people should have gone out and purchased 1 really high end 24" or 30" panel for basically the same price and would have a better gaming experience

people are jumping onto the Eyefinity bandwagon thinking that any 3 panels will produce some spectacular result...sorry but it doesn't work this way...the same principles that apply to purchasing 1 single LCD apply to Eyefinity times 3

Back