EYEFINITY owners; Landscape or Portrait ?

as an add-on to this post, id like to know what kind of angles people are using with their eyefinity setups. as well as how close you sit to the main screen ( are the side screens actually in your peripheral vision or not really) im having a bit of a time trying to find a happy middleground. i play fps and driving games. seems very weird if i sit back too far. for the few fps games ive played so far the angle i have mine on seems odd. could be i just need to get used to them. im not over my nausea yet. seems everytime i take a larger step up in screen size it takes a while to get used to it, and one of the side affects is feeling nausea.....am i the only one? so let me know what your angles are please, and what u play with them at those angles.

yeas I did feel nausea and headache however now I only use main monitor for work and all 3 for games.

for games generaly the sidemonitors have less contrast/brightness however it seems as if this does slightly decrease game quality.

I sit 50-60cm(20-24") from main screen and only 35-40% of side monitors is visible though my glasses which prolly is a problem.

I did try portrait and it was horrible for me, in FEAR it felt like all the displays blended together and the main monitor felt twice as small as it really was and bezel frames clearly there ingame.

landscape is much better, still as I said before I only see 35% of side monitors...

I tried my U2410s in portrait and thought they were WAY too high up to work. Maybe I sit too low in my desk....

Hehe, I just raised my U2410s up about 6 inches.

MonitorStand-After.jpg

I did try portrait and it was horrible for me, in FEAR it felt like all the displays blended together and the main monitor felt twice as small as it really was and bezel frames clearly there ingame.

landscape is much better, still as I said before I only see 35% of side monitors...

I can see where portrait would not be good for smaller monitors.....

Portait mode for me. 3x 2209wa panels. There's barely room on my desk for landscape with my bookshelf speakers.

The primary reason being RTS and RPG games though. Hawx is kinda fun as well.

Man I need to get some more monitors. Though my Ikea Jerker wasn't up to the task of holding three U2410's or Dell 3007WFP's which is what I'd want to go with. I've already got the one Dell 3007WFP, and I'm debating whether or not to buy 2 more 30" Dell panels or switch to 3 U2410's. I think I'd be happy with either, but I kind of thing that 3 30's are the way to go. But damn that's an expensive route to go with even when refurbished panels show up on Dell's site.

BTW, I just picked up an Ikea Galant with most of the options so I'll have the space for either choice. :)

I don't have an Eyefinity setup but wouldn't landscape make the most sense?

Maybe, but I think it depends on the game. In racing games, absolutely. Flight simulators? Probably. In first person shooters, I think that portrait mode gives you both extra width and height. I think that would be ideal for larger panels.

I didn't like portrait at all. My eyes dance around the screen during shooters and the bezels became a major problem in portrait. In landscape, though, its freaking amazing. I *love* landscape Eyefinity.

I only ever played games using Eyefinity in landscape orientation. I loved it. I found the extra peripheral vision in Call of Duty 4 to be VERY useful. It even saved my ass a couple times. That said I'd like to see it in portrait mode with 3 30"s.

Everyone makes Eyefinity sound so awesome, I should pick up two more cheap 22''s and try it out.

I only ever played games using Eyefinity in landscape orientation. I loved it. I found the extra peripheral vision in Call of Duty 4 to be VERY useful. It even saved my ass a couple times. That said I'd like to see it in portrait mode with 3 30"s.

trying to save up and locate my 3rd Dan :D

imag0076.jpg

Yeah I may have to go that route. Once you go 30" you never go back. At least I'd probably have a hard time doing so.

I'm rocking 3x24" and I've tried both. I like landscape for FPS and racing (GRID is amazing in landscape). I tried playing games in portrait, but I couldn't get past the bezels. It feels like I'm "playing" on the middle screen with a narrow view and the side screens are only there if I focus on them.

That said, I'm loving general internet browsing in portrait. It's so much more useful than 3x 1920 landscape because most websites are tall, not wide. Conversely, watching movies in portrait sucks. Sounds like I need to buy 3 more monitors so I can keep a set in portrait all the time and keep a set in landscape all the time :p

Man I need to get some more monitors. Though my Ikea Jerker wasn't up to the task of holding three U2410's or Dell 3007WFP's which is what I'd want to go with. I've already got the one Dell 3007WFP, and I'm debating whether or not to buy 2 more 30" Dell panels or switch to 3 U2410's. I think I'd be happy with either, but I kind of thing that 3 30's are the way to go. But damn that's an expensive route to go with even when refurbished panels show up on Dell's site.

BTW, I just picked up an Ikea Galant with most of the options so I'll have the space for either choice. :)

yang88she said:
trying to save up and locate my 3rd Dan :D

Congrats on the Galant, Dan...those are awesome desks. I've wanted one since I saw a picture on here of a guy's setup with a Galant. You're right, they offer plenty of space for a 3 x 30" setup. Like yang88she, I only need one more 30" which makes Eyefinity a supremely tempting proposition but I'm afraid it'll be too much of a drain on anything short of dual 5970s. One might suffice, but if it didn't...man that makes 3 x 30" an extremely expensive endeavor.

I considered buying three Dell 2709W monitors which would be significantly easier on the GPU(s) but like many of us have found, once you experience 2560x1600 it's hard to go back to anything less. For games I wouldn't mind so much -- especially if I had triple screen gaming -- but for general Windows use the additional desktop space has really spoiled me.

Yeah I debated buying the U2410 and the U2417's and moving my 30" monitor to my test bench. I just don't think I can do that. I'll need 2 more 30" LCD's. That is what kills me. I don't mind buying another 5970. It is cheap by comparison.

I can't see the value in Eyefinity 3x1 portrait mode. Seems a 30" panel would be better; similar aspect ratio, no bezels, lots of pixels. The whole reason I went with Eyefinity is because the increased FOV in landscape mode makes the game experience so much better.

The bezels don't bother me because I rarely actually look AT the flanking panels, yet I'm still very much aware that they're there and they definitely enhance the experience. I've got to believe the bezels would be pretty annoying in portrait mode. Am I wrong?

I can't see the value in Eyefinity 3x1 portrait mode. Seems a 30" panel would be better; similar aspect ratio, no bezels, lots of pixels. The whole reason I went with Eyefinity is because the increased FOV in landscape mode makes the game experience so much better.

The bezels don't bother me because I rarely actually look AT the flanking panels, yet I'm still very much aware that they're there and they definitely enhance the experience. I've got to believe the bezels would be pretty annoying in portrait mode. Am I wrong?

It's obviously all a matter of opinion, but yes, I believe you are wrong.

For gaming, the bezels don't bother me at all. For non gaming tasks, the extra vertical real estate is tremendously useful.

I think it is dependent on the monitor size/ratio. In many cases you can have too much fov vertically in portrait and horizontally in landscape. 3x30's are entertaining in portrait for me but nor for the long haul.

The bezels are somewhat annoying in portrait, but you live with it. Portrait is best for document work, internet and RTS games.
No, a single 30" panel would not always be better. One cannot have eyefinity with a single 30" panel. My 3x 22" ips panels cost less than a single 30" panel and I can choose to rotate them to suit the game.

Why choose a single 30" when you can have the flexibility of increased FOV and 48:10 gaming with triple 22" panels? As I've said before, portrait is best for RTS & Diablo style games where the camera view is locked overhead. Have you ever played Titan Quest? The limited vertical resolution stinks. Creatures can hit you from off screen.

Agreed, the added FOV in gaming is definitely worth the smaller size. After gaming with triple monitor setups it is very difficult to go back to a single monitor, no matter how big.

While I was ordering my Eyefinity setup, I akways wondered "Why would people prefer portrait over landscape? It's like having one big monitor." After having played many types of games in landscape, I figured I would give portrait mode a shot. Now, I much prefer portrait mode over landscape.
My opinion is that all those extra pixels are better used in portrait mode. In landscape, they are much more periphreal and only add a sort of effect. You are still mainly staring and doing most of your gaming on your center screen. The bezels are less of a distraction in landscape because of this and also because there is less bezed between monitors. However, in portrait you are concentrating on all 3 monitors. You notice the bezels more, but I think the payoff is greater. Your FOV is only that of a 16:9 or so monitor, but the resolution is amazing. I think that is what makes portrait so immersive.With 1920x1080 monitors you are staring at 6 MP of game.
Playing BFBC2 in landscape, it was neat being able to see more off to the side, but like many other FPS even ones made with surround monitors in mind, the image is stretched like panoramic view on the side monitors. I understand it was done to avoid too much of a fish eye lens look and seem more natural, but it is still distorting the image. When I played BFBC2 in portrait, I knew it was the only way I wanted to play it in the future. With my 23" monitors, it could be a bit difficult to see some farther targets. I knew I was viewing them through a monitor. Now they are large and in such high resolution, it feels so much more lifelike. Everyone can have their preference, I just hope noone discounts the idea of portrait because they think they will be seeing "less" of the game.

as i totally agree with eyefinty having a huge impact immersion wise, i thinki really would depend on what im doing as to whether or not i would want portrait or landscape. the other issue is monitor size. i have seen the smaller sized screens using 16x9 aspect ratios in portrait mode and to me they look terrible.and for the life of me i cannot understand why anyone would want small screens in portrait. yes you "ignore" the bezels, but they are still there. the screens act as "viewports" and the center screen still carries the bulk of your focus when playing any game unless youre cock-eyed. having the center screen so thin that it cant hold the bulk of what youre looking at is imo detremental and defeats the purpose. i would expect that the larger the screens (and having 16x10 aspect ratio) the better the portrait experience would be. now if they could go and make some 24"square eyefinity screens that would be 1920x1920 we could have the best of both worlds.....and no need to ever switch modes.

Here is a good example. I tried to take this picture from the exact same spot in the game. It is from 3 different setups I could do with Eyefinity. 3 - 24" in Landscape...3 - 24" in Portrait...1-24" + 1-27" + 1-24" in Landscape, and this is the setup I have stuck with the longest so far.

3 - 24" in Landscape = this felt too narrow and skinny
IMG_0440.jpg

3 - 24" in Portrait = The highest and best immersion factor
IMG_0435.jpg

1-24" + 1-27" + 1-24" in Landscape = This gave the best wide viewing angle, but center display is nice and tall and not too narrow/skinny like if all three were 24"
IMG_0449.jpg

how is the size diffrence ?

I have a 24 inch 1920x1200 and a 22inch 1680x1050. My 24 inch scales. So i was thinking of a another 22 inch at 1680x1050 and just running kinda like you.

Does it bother you alot ?

The best combination I have used is a PLP, matching vertical res, left and right monitors are great for desktop work and gaming is perfect for usable fov without interruption.I still have hopes for eyefinity support.

The best combination I have used is a PLP, matching vertical res, left and right monitors are great for desktop work and gaming is perfect for usable fov without interruption.I still have hopes for eyefinity support.

I'd love to grab some 20" panels for this but I won't get my hopes up for support anytime soon. Truth be told I'd rather have 3 30" panels, but such an option would be more palatable in the cost department.

I'd love to grab some 20" panels for this but I won't get my hopes up for support anytime soon. Truth be told I'd rather have 3 30" panels, but such an option would be more palatable in the cost department.

I've been looking at the 28inch 1920x1200 hanns g monitors. $900 for 3 of them isn't so bad at all.

But what kind of panels do they use? I'm spoiled by S-IPS panels like my Dell 3007WFP.

TFT . I used one for awhile they look really good to me. I use a S-IPS in my office the same one as you I believe. The panels are a step down , however eyeinfinty on them is a step up .

I don't personaly own the setup but i built it for my buddy. 3 of them for gaming is godly.

You might be in luck. Once I get to 50 I will be posting the 3007wfp bare panels I have remaining.

TFT . I used one for awhile they look really good to me. I use a S-IPS in my office the same one as you I believe. The panels are a step down , however eyeinfinty on them is a step up .

I don't personaly own the setup but i built it for my buddy. 3 of them for gaming is godly.

I believe you mean TN. IPS, TN, *VA, etc.. are all types of TFT LCD.

To be honest though 3 30's is a bit much. The desk space alone is huge. If you utilize a standard desk it will take all space from front to back and likely set the center monitor too far away for general use. Wouldn't mind trying 4 2407's, may be next on the list.

To be honest though 3 30's is a bit much. The desk space alone is huge. If you utilize a standard desk it will take all space from front to back and likely set the center monitor too far away for general use. Wouldn't mind trying 4 2407's, may be next on the list.

I bought a new Ikea Galant to accommodate and Eyefinity setup. 3 30" panels won't be a problem on that front.

I bought a new Ikea Galant to accommodate and Eyefinity setup. 3 30" panels won't be a problem on that front.

which galant desk? as I'm in need of more room :D and the ikea website comes up w/ several different options

Back