Eyefinity - incredible evolution, marred by bezel!

You get 5 minutes to finish editing from the time you posted, before it shows as edited.
Give it a shot, I just did to add this line :)

Oh please guys, do not pretend you don't want this

xtopmultiscreen5x3.gif

On second thought, I'd still prefer having a single screen that was that big instead.

The main problem with these super tilled screens is that at that point any one who can afford one is better served by projectors. Compare the price of HD projectors to such things and there is a point after which it's cheaper to go projectors. Not to mention no bezels. I don't see my self using beyond 3 screens with LCD's. Anything above and it's projectors for me.

I agree. Projectors are it. I use an industry leading LED LCD by samsung (32W) and love it (despite its specs). I want to add 2 more. No bezel management needed. If anyone looks at the dirt2 demo (projectors-rear screen I think?) it looks so amazing, we should all agree big screen X3 projectors is all that is needed IMO. I can kinda see the 5X screen fans point (total peripheral vision). But any time you add a second layer of monitors, you add a complete layer of bezels. Except for non game applications, there is no reason for multi monitor layers. That just sucks.

I agree. Projectors are it. I use an industry leading LED LCD by samsung (32W) and love it (despite its specs). I want to add 2 more. No bezel management needed. If anyone looks at the dirt2 demo (projectors-rear screen I think?) it looks so amazing, we should all agree big screen X3 projectors is all that is needed IMO. I can kinda see the 5X screen fans point (total peripheral vision). But any time you add a second layer of monitors, you add a complete layer of bezels. Except for non game applications, there is no reason for multi monitor layers. That just sucks.

Another import possibility in favor of projectors is curved screen. No to mention projectors are easier to mount. Imagine a wall of LCD's crashing down if you didn't mount it right. :eek:

Another import possibility in favor of projectors is curved screen. No to mention projectors are easier to mount. Imagine a wall of LCD's crashing down if you didn't mount it right. :eek:

You would read about a guy slitting his wrists with the broken glass from the panels.

Worse if it falls down on top of you :eek:

*timber~*

I'll take the projector, thank you :D

Worthless feature that will not influence me to purchase an ATI card. (I currently have a 4870x2...)

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome triple-head gaming is. :p

I bet monitor manufacturers are drooling at the thought of a few percent of their market suddenly buying three times as many monitors as before. Unfortunately I doubt that the wallets and spouses of those few percent will be just as forgiving ;)

Worthless feature that will not influence me to purchase an ATI card. (I currently have a 4870x2...)

While the multi-monitor gaming doesn't really excite me even though it's pretty cool, the fact that I can use 3+ monitors with only 1 card does. Right now I need 2 video cards to get 3 monitors. It's hardly worthless especially since it'll save me money on buying a second video card.

I bet monitor manufacturers are drooling at the thought of a few percent of their market suddenly buying three times as many monitors as before. Unfortunately I doubt that the wallets and spouses of those few percent will be just as forgiving ;)
Three 22" monitors (about $600 total) cost less than one 30" monitor (about $1200 total), while offering more total resolution.

More total pixels for half the price, multi monitor is actually quite cost effective ;)

Just going by the massive stickied thread in the display section here,it seems like quite a lot of folks already have multiple monitors :shrug:

I also like the fact that I can have a single powerhouse card on all my monitors instead of having a single strong card on two monitors and skimping on the secondary card for the other monitors.. buying two or three powerhouse cards for multiple monitors is expensive. this technology has a lot of positive aspects

Will EyeFinity work with only 2 projectors? This way you could buy two cheap 1280x720 projectors and double the resolution.

With no bezel the cross hair at the center should be fine for shooters. And its not an issue for most other games like RTS, racing games, sport games, actions games, etc.

Will EyeFinity work with only 2 projectors? This way you could buy two cheap 1280x720 projectors and double the resolution.

With no bezel the cross hair at the center should be fine for shooters. And its not an issue for most other games like RTS, racing games, sport games, actions games, etc.

I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Just need to make sure you align the projected images very precisely :)

Ok, maybe folks would benefit from a TripleHead2Go summary. I researched it a few months back, and as I recall there are two editions; a more expensive digital version which includes software for bezel management, and a cheaper analog model which doesn't offer any bezel management. There are also DoubleHead2Go products. This is all confirmed on the matrox website.

Somebody asserted that Windows will soon have bezel management capability, but didn't cite a source for the info. Is this BS, or is it a published capability of Windows 7?

As it stands presently, the Matrox Digital version of the TripleHead2Go is the only way to game on 3 screens and get the bezels dealt with at any price. I hope that ATI recognizes the benefits of bezel management capability and builds drivers to accomodate it. If they don't succeed, perhaps a coalition of monitor manufacturers would recognize the benefit of more sales should it exist, and provide incentives to ATI to do so.

The Matrox solution is very costly, but should ATI provide bezel management software soon, I'd assume these new cards featuring Eyefinity will drastically impact the market for the TH2G.

ready to shell out $25k?

http://www.seamlessdisplay.com/

look @ the poll.

Maybe $8k

NEC 43 inch curved LCD

3988702112_3eece5b528_b.jpg

The NEC CRV43 curved display includes the following features:
* Seamless curved screen, which eliminates bezel and screen gap issues for increased productivity and decreased frustration (according to Center for Human-Computer Interaction – Shupp et al, presented at Graphics Interface 2006)
* 2880 x 900 double WXGA native resolution
* 200 cd/m² brightness
* 0.02ms Rapid Response
* 10,000:1 contrast ratio
* Wide color gamut with 100% coverage of sRGB and 99.3% coverage of Adobe RGB
* Single link DVI-D and HDMI 1.3 input connectors
* USB 2.0 connectivity for easy use of peripherals
* Front panel controls
* On Screen Display (OSD®) and software-based GUI, which enables advanced display control options

Disadvantage with those curved screens is of course that they're not truly curved; the LCD panels themselves are still flat, and the image is projected onto some semi-transparent plastic. This doesn't always look that great, with the edges sometimes being clearly visible.

Definitely a display to check out in real life first before ordering it :)

Maybe $8k

NEC 43 inch curved LCD

3988702112_3eece5b528_b.jpg

The NEC CRV43 curved display includes the following features:
* Seamless curved screen, which eliminates bezel and screen gap issues for increased productivity and decreased frustration (according to Center for Human-Computer Interaction – Shupp et al, presented at Graphics Interface 2006)
* 2880 x 900 double WXGA native resolution
* 200 cd/m² brightness
* 0.02ms Rapid Response
* 10,000:1 contrast ratio
* Wide color gamut with 100% coverage of sRGB and 99.3% coverage of Adobe RGB
* Single link DVI-D and HDMI 1.3 input connectors
* USB 2.0 connectivity for easy use of peripherals
* Front panel controls
* On Screen Display (OSD®) and software-based GUI, which enables advanced display control options

What a massive piece of shit. 2880x900, that is horrible especially with a 8k price tag.

I correct fud left and right. If you call that a mission.. well sure.

Matrox's TripleHead technology did not work natively in most games and in those that it did work.. it did not have the muscle to power them.

With AMDs EyeInfinity it's playable and up to 6 screens. It's far more impressive and I wouldn't even try to compare the two.

I find a lot of amusement in jerkoffs like you who put down other people only to find out they're completely wrong.

So can you theoretically remove the bezel from a lcd monitor easily. My [h] senses custom bezel removal....

So can you theoretically remove the bezel from a lcd monitor easily. My [h] senses custom bezel removal....

The actual LCD panel still has a bezel, or edge around it. Only OLED panels will be capable of being completely bezel-less :)

The linked monitor isn't three monitors with the bezel removed, it's one freakin monitor! Thats the reason it is so expensive. To use Eyefinity you would need 3 of those. Not its purpose.

The linked monitor isn't three monitors with the bezel removed, it's one freakin monitor! Thats the reason it is so expensive. To use Eyefinity you would need 3 of those. Not its purpose.

Actually it are three LCD panels with some translucent plastic in front of it to 'smear' the image out to make it appear to be one display. LCD panels don't curve :)

Okay, didn't know that. I think the port options would still make it off for Eyefinity, no?

Two would work fine, but how about 3? :D

BHawthorne@WSGF is building his own circular projection gaming room with Eyefinity. Here's a picture of his work in progress with Eve online:
dscf3754.jpg

And a movie showing some imax stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqxV3vJKj4&feature=player_embedded

. people, there is ALWAYS GOING TO BE A BEZELL! even if the bezel is super thin, it is still there- who the hell wants black lines crossing the image like that? and if somebody launches a super wide screen lcd then whats the point? this is just marketing nonsense.. look at the power of my huge p- VGA! :eek: :rolleyes:

. people, there is ALWAYS GOING TO BE A BEZELL! even if the bezel is super thin, it is still there- who the hell wants black lines crossing the image like that? and if somebody launches a super wide screen lcd then whats the point? this is just marketing nonsense.. look at the power of my huge p- VGA! :eek: :rolleyes:

Yes, remove the hud from all games! We don't want lines and cannot play the games then with all the annoying lines even if they are super thin! :D

Even projectors as with picture above have bezels (on the projector that is, not image), so yes, "there is ALWAYS GOING TO BE A BEZELL! " :D

And another thing, why add 2 more screens to see more of the game world when you can look at the walls next to your screens instead? WAY more immersive to look at walls IMO. In fact, why not remove ALL the screens, so we don't have to look at bezels at all :p

Hehehe....

Joke aside, some don't like anything splitting the image, while others prefer to add to it wherever they can. Eyefinity is an option, not a requirement, so I cannot understand all the agression against it. Use it, or don't. You don't pay extra for having it.

Back