Eyefinity - incredible evolution, marred by bezel!

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes it's a fantastic technology that will go places. This is going to change the way we game in the future imho, based just on what I have read. My only problem with this is the bezel of screens being too thick. Unless they get hair thin, I see this being one of the most incredible advancements in gaming WASTED. Every time I look at the pics on hardocp I get excited, but that excitement is marred by the fact that portions of the image are overall split and visably with the thick screen bezels. This is a very visable distraction to gaming imho, regardless if the technology is amazing. I mean come on....we're not at a E3 expo in our rooms. What do you all think?

Oh god my toughts too. Cant they make a lcd with thin to no black borders..

Three with thin bezels would be the sweet spot imho. But three of the monitor I have at the moment.....NO.

+1 for this

As much as I try to look at the displays, my eyes are constantly drawn back to the lines created by the bezels. Trying to game on something like that would drive me crazy. I know they can make the bezels smaller. Hell, a local restaurant here has LCD tv's that have nearly no visible bezel from the front; they look essentially like nothing but a screen. Next time I eat there I need to find out what brand they are because they look freaking gorgeous (both in styling and in picture quality).

You really do not want a screen with little to no bezel. They would be extremely suspectable to damage.

Three monitors wouldn't be all that bad. But I'd rather use one monitor than six. Bezels in your peripheral vision is one thing; a few thousand dead pixels right in the center of the screen is another entirely. The 0.03mm wires in my Trinitron are about as much as I'd put up with.

First off, this isn't an advancement. The Matrox Parhelia graphics card could do triple screen 3D gaming back in 2002 (mini review), and they've released the Matrox TripleHead2Go since then to allow just about any graphics card to do the same. The only advancement here is that we're seeing resolutions higher than 5040x1050.

As for the bezel problem, three screens is the sweet spot, because it puts one screen directly in front of you (which means no bezels in your direct line of sight).

Last edited:
Eventhough bezels would be in the way, I still think that looking at the same topic through different threads would be much more disturbing.

Sorry to bust bubbles but this will only appeal to a very small margin of people no matter how wonderful the tech is. It will most likely go no where. Video cards in general make up a very small percentage of the marketshare when compared to systems & laptops that sell with onboard solutions. I like the tech myself but see is as just a huge waste of time since like what 1 out of every 1000 members on this forum will bother investing into it. Most of the users on this forum have a hard enough time getting 1 good monitor lol. We consider ourselves PC enthusiast on these boards & most of us will never bother with eyefinity. What success does it have in the real world if that is the case?

For places like Times Sqaure, the tech could be useful but outside of that, it will be a huge failure with consumers but that is my opinion. It'll be great for " look what our (insert card) can do " events when boasting a new GPU. I know I'm hard on it but I just don't see the idea getting very far. I'm dumbfounded over the hype of it.

Removable bezels would be good. Companies probably already started on it by now.

Not sure why people complain about this?
Matrox had it a long time, same issue none writes about it, and the display support is optional.

Now, your brain will however, start to delete the bezels when playing.
Basically, you will stop seeing them.
Now some go, but how does that work then?
Your brain already is doing that, you got a small blind spot in your eye, which you dont think about or see.
That is actually funny since your already doing a delete the blind spot in your eye, same as the bezels will be deleted when playing.

The brain compensate and overlap visual imagery, it does so all the time, and when you buy 3 screens, play the hot game using the new hot 5870 series card or similar, you be think gee, why did I ever complain?
:p

You know, if this tech becomes mainstream, it might just push monitor makers to make less/no bezel LCD's.... remember, they had no need/market to do prior to this, if this starts to take off, they're going to do what it takes to make that money

I am well aware Matrox has had this going on for like, ever. lol :p But it was not implemented like this time.

You know, if this tech becomes mainstream, it might just push monitor makers to make less/no bezel LCD's.... remember, they had no need/market to do prior to this, if this starts to take off, they're going to do what it takes to make that money

True. Samsung was also advertising their "ultra thin bezel" screens with ATI Eyefinity. If OLED/PLED goes mainstream, it can be without any bezel.

By getting a $300 (TH2G) build into the card "for free", triplehead goes mainstream. People doesn't have to buy 3 screens to use it. Friends can get together and connect their screen and combine them for some triplehead social weekend. Everyone (who has friends) can try out triplehead and look for themselves. I think the adoption to 3 screens will be great with this, especially considering how much LCD's have gone down in price. :)

yea I wont use 3 30" monitors unless there is almost no bezel interfering. I have tried to use 3 before and it just won't happen with me. Even the thin bezel monitors in Kyles video is too much for me.

I'm getting a 5870x2 for sure, I just seriously doubt I will take advantage of this feature. As soon as there is a 3x30" multi monitor released with specs on par with the 3008WFP I'll order it same day, as long as there is pratically no bezels where they would be noticed.

there is also the new curved bigger screens that some might enjoy, no bezels, but expensive.

bezel-less monitors is where its at. mine are thick currently but i put up with it only because what other choice do i have?;)

I once tried to use two monitor as a single one back when I was using a Matrox G550 card, but it just didn't work for me. First of all you tend to curve the monitors around you but since monitors are flat they appear like separate displays no matter what.

Second, the bezels will also reinforce that they're separate screens. There's no fluent change from screen to screen, but instead it's screen -> bezel -> bezel -> screen. When working with images or just reading text this is extremely annoying and frustrating.

I can see this Eyefinity work as long as it's used for things like games where the transition between screens isn't that crucial due to the dynamic nature of the images displayed, but for anything else bezel-less screens are a necessity.

yea I wont use 3 30" monitors unless there is almost no bezel interfering. I have tried to use 3 before and it just won't happen with me. Even the thin bezel monitors in Kyles video is too much for me.

I'm getting a 5870x2 for sure, I just seriously doubt I will take advantage of this feature. As soon as there is a 3x30" multi monitor released with specs on par with the 3008WFP I'll order it same day, as long as there is pratically no bezels where they would be noticed.

ready to shell out $25k?

http://www.seamlessdisplay.com/

look @ the poll.

Bezels, no bezels...phht. If this thing performs like they claim it will, I will be gaming across my three 30's by November. :cool:

Although the demo we saw today was based on conventional Dell 30" monitors, AMD has been working with Samsung on Eyefinity support and has plans involving monitors with very narrow bezels, so that many displays can act together as one with a minimum of visual interruption. The company may also incorporate a feature in its graphics drivers to compensate for the visual offsets caused by bezels
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/17563

Well, this should be good for those 4k monitors and projectors since they require 4 inputs anyways.

The Samsungs have the thinnest bezel right now, and they are talking about testing colors of the bezel so that the images blend in better and the bezel doesn't stand out, maybe gray, or even white. The Bezel is required on LCDs right now due to the backlighting used. Perhaps with OLED panels it will be different? This should at least hopefully push monitor makers into making the thinnest possible bezels. Technology has to start somewhere.

In my hands-on testing of the 6 display setup, playing real games, I have to say the bezel really didn't bother me when I was playing games.

I remember people saying and probably still say that you cannot play games on a 24" monitor as you have to turn your head to see the edges of the screen.

Seriously, people always say it won't work and yet I have been gaming on a 24" widescreen for years and I don't think any one who actually uses one has to turn their head despite what was claimed.

This will be the same no doubt.

It's about immersion.

Though you don't focus on the peripheral vision areas, they exist in real life, and since games are getting more realistic looking, you have to have a realistic field of vision. So yeah, it's not nearly as important as the main center monitor, but you will see movement and such. Realism.

Also, since in fps's, the turning of your character simulates the turning of your entire body, you don't have the freedom to glance to the side or eye in a different direction than you're facing because you're tunnel visioned. In real life you wouldn't turn your entire body just to glance at something to the side.

Last edited:
First off, this isn't an advancement. The Matrox Parhelia graphics card could do triple screen 3D gaming back in 2002 (mini review), and they've released the Matrox TripleHead2Go since then to allow just about any graphics card to do the same. The only advancement here is that we're seeing resolutions higher than 5040x1050.

As for the bezel problem, three screens is the sweet spot, because it puts one screen directly in front of you (which means no bezels in your direct line of sight).

It is an advancement as it scales with the amount of cards (up to 24 screens). It also works natively in games (something Matrox could not achieve).

It is an advancement as it scales with the amount of cards (up to 24 screens). It also works natively in games (something Matrox could not achieve).

TripleHead2Go looks pretty native to me.

The Samsungs have the thinnest bezel right now, and they are talking about testing colors of the bezel so that the images blend in better and the bezel doesn't stand out, maybe gray, or even white. The Bezel is required on LCDs right now due to the backlighting used. Perhaps with OLED panels it will be different? This should at least hopefully push monitor makers into making the thinnest possible bezels. Technology has to start somewhere.

In my hands-on testing of the 6 display setup, playing real games, I have to say the bezel really didn't bother me when I was playing games.

It wouldn't bother anyone really. If it did bother a person.. he/she would get used to it rather quickly.

I think it's just nVIDIA fans trying to find negatives about the technology. Happens anytime AMD/ATi release something new.

And until nvidia catch up.

Of course that is the big question, do nvidia have something comparable or if not how long will they let it be that way.

This has alot better chances of gaining market and mindshare than some of nvidia's "gimmicks" like physx or 3-d gaming. For the moment those are not really viable for most folks but this is.

Nvidia will not want left out of something tangible like this.

And until nvidia catch up.

Of course that is the big question, do nvidia have something comparable or if not how long will they let it be that way.

This has alot better chances of gaining market and mindshare than some of nvidia's "gimmicks" like physx or 3-d gaming. For the moment those are not really viable for most folks but this is.

Nvidia will not want left out of something tangible like this.

And you're going to see a lot of negatives for the usual forum trolls (nVIDIA fans) until then. They'll downplay the impact it might have to gaming until their nVIDIA cards can do the same thing and then it will be a GREAT idea.

I've tried PhysX (I have a dedicated PhysX card) and I feel that GPU PhysX in the form of PhysX is useless. The API is too demanding on Shader units (has anyone tried playing Sacred 2.. lag fest yuck). OpenCL should rectify this by making use of both the CPU and the GPU.

So STFU thanks :)

Wow you're really on a mission today aren't you?

Back to topic, I can't stand the bezels either. No matter who has this tech until the bezels are gone I'm not interested at all. I'd take one huge screen over 3-6 with ugly ass lines everywhere.

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier with this, you don't need 3 high end monitors to enjoy this technology. Have a really good center (2407whp) that you'll be staring at at all times and two lower end sides to bring the immersion factor into effect. I think you could even use a 19x12 center and 1080p's as sides without any intrusion into this immersion effect. That will keep the cost of these monitor setups in check at least somewhat.

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier with this, you don't need 3 high end monitors to enjoy this technology. Have a really good center (2407whp) that you'll be staring at at all times and two lower end sides to bring the immersion factor into effect. I think you could even use a 19x12 center and 1080p's as sides without any intrusion into this immersion effect. That will keep the cost of these monitor setups in check at least somewhat.

I am thinking along the same lines, I don't need 3 30" monitors, I can get 3 2.3mp 28" monitors at a far more modest 7mp total for the price of one 30" 4mp monitor. I might only have 60% of the resolution but I will have 93% of the size at 1/3 the cost. that is math I can live with:cool:

http://www.gadgetfolder.com/lg-sl8000-and-sl9000-borderless-lcd-tvs-ifa-2009.html

Looks like LG is bringing out the borderless TV's now...

I am thinking along the same lines, I don't need 3 30" monitors, I can get 3 2.3mp 28" monitors at a far more modest 7mp total for the price of one 30" 4mp monitor. I might only have 60% of the resolution but I will have 93% of the size at 1/3 the cost. that is math I can live with:cool:

yep that's what I'm thinking. I already have a 2560 x 1600 monitor and a 1600 x 1200 one in portrait on the side... now I can get another one to complete it without needing to buy 3 x 30"

Although the demo we saw today was based on conventional Dell 30" monitors, AMD has been working with Samsung on Eyefinity support and has plans involving monitors with very narrow bezels, so that many displays can act together as one with a minimum of visual interruption. The company may also incorporate a feature in its graphics drivers to compensate for the visual offsets caused by bezels
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/17563

THAT is the only real problem with bezels.

As someone spending a LOT of time in sims (flight sims, racing sims, etc) - a bezel is a normal and natural thing. I mean, cars have support structures on either side of the windows, nothing wrong at all with some interruption of the field of view just before getting to your peripherals.

BUT...that's the thing. It IS an interruption of your field of view. You don't see out your front window, and the scene resumes uninterrupted in your side window. The support frame around the windows blocks things from you. You can't see things behind it without moving your head some.

If the drivers could do THAT - IE., tell them "I have 3x22 inch LCDs arrange in front of me with 2 inches of bezel or otherwise open space between display surfaces" and it was smart enough to render the whole image with that space obstructing something, then it would be the most natural thing in the world.

(And, seriously, for all the nay-saying, this is absolutely the way to go. I have to assume many of you aren't thinking about this more widely in scope - but you...well, many...already HAVE obstructions in your view every day. Your car frame blocks the view out the windows, the frames of your glasses block part of the view from your eyes, etc. In all cases, and those who develop slow scratches on their glasses know this firsthand, it doesn't take very long at all before your mind has subconsciously removed the limitation from your processing and you literally don't notice it at all without specifically thinking about it.)

Back