Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

@dtfer:

How's the PLP coming along?

I upgrade my secondary monitors and my desk:

7 monitors close up by rtangwai, on Flickr

Much better balanced, the IKEA Galant corner desk gives me far more desktop space to work with even though it's actually smaller than my old desk, and it's nearly as sexy as my old 6-monitor layout. As a bonus all 4 of the new 22" 1080p monitors are MVA so they have great viewing angles.

@dtfer:

How's the PLP coming along?

I upgrade my secondary monitors and my desk:

7 monitors close up by rtangwai, on Flickr

Much better balanced, the IKEA Galant corner desk gives me far more desktop space to work with even though it's actually smaller than my old desk, and it's nearly as sexy as my old 6-monitor layout. As a bonus all 4 of the new 22" 1080p monitors are MVA so they have great viewing angles.

That is a thing of beauty :cool:

That is a thing of beauty :cool:

Thank you - I had really missed the elegance of my 6-monitor layout so I decided to make this a priority. I originally planned on getting 3 Dell 29" 2560x1080 instead of 4 22" 1920x1080 but a single Dell costs more than all 4 of my 22" and 3 Dell's would cost more than this entire rig combined. Besides, I like the challenge of getting asymmetrical layouts balanced - the Dell 29" would be way too easy to set up.

Unfortunately, that's about all it can do. Look nice. You can also fake Swordfish style desk arrangement to your grand parents.

Actually I find it quite practical when I'm running multiple VM's, quite apart from gaming with Eyefinity on the 3x30" and having monitoring programs (temps, load, etc.)/walkthru guides/instant messaging windows open on the upper monitors. It's particularly handy when testing web pages on multiple browsers - I can test compositions on IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari at the same resolution at the same time so I can do real-time adjustments to make sure everything looks the same regardless of browser. Thankfully browsers these days don't differ nearly as much as they used to (I built my first 6-monitor setup in 2006 for that reason) but it is still something that needs to be checked for QA purposes.

Oh, and just for the record I *AM* a grandparent, five times over in fact :D

Rtangwai – absolutely unreal, as always. I love how everything is all perfectly squared off now. It looks so clean. I honestly can’t understand why someone would need that many screens, but I wouldn’t say no if someone offered :p I have to imagine that your room heats up significantly when you’re gaming though.

I apologize for not posting pics earlier as I promised, but I've been trying to get some better lighting in my room. Here are two pics of my setup taken from my iPhone. I have this dingy colored light so the walls show as kind of a brownish gold color when it's actually a moss green. Also, pardon the mess in the first pic.

YuYjND3l.jpg

http://imgur.com/YuYjND3 - fullsize

3qfySd3l.jpg

http://imgur.com/3qfySd3 - fullsize

I really like the setup, but I went from a single 24 to 20x30x20 and the size is taking some getting used to. I play League of Legends pretty regularly and I end up having to play in a 1920x1080 window because the screen is so big that I can't pay attention to the map in full screen.

The first pic is Path of Exile-- pretty bad decision since I play hardcore and the health orb is so far on the side that it's absolutely out of my FoV. I pretty much have to play on just the middle screen if I don't want to die.

The second picture is skyrim, which is absolutely stunning aside from being in windowed. It took some tweeking to get the hud/interface to show up correctly, but once it was set up, I got really into it and played for a good chunk of time, which I haven't done in months.

I really want to try out some FPS or driving/flight sims-- something that would really benefit from the increased FoV. Unfortunately, there aren't many games that can take advantage of a PLP setup.

Some good news here regarding PLP gaming support on post #67!

Aside from gaming, the extra desktop space is great, although I have trouble occupying all the extra real estate. The jump from 1920x1080 to 4960x1600 is literally four times the space. I use the main screen for work or whatever I’m currently focusing on, the left screen for streams/videos/chats, and the right screen for resource monitoring and misc. stuff, but it’s pretty much not used and I turn it off because I feel bad for wasting power (I know—not [H] at all…). I also have a TV sitting on the top shelf of my Jerker to watch stuff from bed or the couch. Absolutely delighted with how everything turned out! I don’t think I’ll need to upgrade anytime soon even though I’ve been watching CL for some cheap 3007/8wfps just in case… Just need to get a new chair now and I’ll be all set!

Just signed the petition for PLP support, thanks for posting that.

No, thank YOU for signing! I'm sure there's plenty of interest for support for this setup. It's pretty unique, but I don't know a single person who has seen it that hasn't wanted it for themselves. I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere, but the more people we can get, the sooner we can make it a reality.

Rtangwai – absolutely unreal, as always. I love how everything is all perfectly squared off now. It looks so clean. I honestly can’t understand why someone would need that many screens, but I wouldn’t say no if someone offered :p I have to imagine that your room heats up significantly when you’re gaming though.

Most people (including you) who saw both my 6-display and my old 7-display setups actually preferred the 6 - although smaller and less functional, it had a much more pleasing form. Now that I have everything balanced properly again I can get both form and functionality in a single setup. I've pretty much plateau'd - I have no idea how I could make it bigger and better without going to some ridiculous level (5x30" in portrait perhaps?) or waiting for new technology (like 4K). I have already come to the conclusion that I might put more pixels up in future layouts but there is no way I can make it physically any bigger - anything larger than this would be unviewable at the sides and corners unless I push it back from my keyboard a ridiculous amount, which would require a *MUCH* bigger desk.

I know quite a few people who need that many screens, I even have a customer who went with a bigger solution because mine was too *SMALL* for his tastes - he's a day-trader so he needs lots of screens, went 12x24" 1080p for 24 megapixels with the option to go 6 more if necessary. Luckily for me he doesn't play video games otherwise it would have been hell building such a monster. As it is that third video card is gonna be a tight squeeze if he ever calls me out on that upgrade. Video and audio editors love monitor layouts like mine as it gives them plenty of room for tools and such.

The temperature of my room actually *DROPPED* a noticeable amount during gaming from the old rig because the 4x22 monitors above are all LED while the old 20" were LCD. Power consumption is down 250W according to my UPS monitoring software (I really need to buy a Kill-a-Watt some day).

Regarding PLP in Chris Robert's new game, I suspect they will just go windowed mode to achieve it. For hard-core gaming machines that's a big problem because Crossfire/SLI doesn't work in windowed mode. To support PLP in fullscreen mode *WITHOUT* driver support would be quite difficult. In the OpenGL API there is an option called wglShareLists which in theory should support this, but I haven't heard of anyone actually using it in games and I'm unsure if it would support multiple GPUs. DirectX is even worse on this above DX9 (one of the stumbling blocks of the SoftTH project). Since you have to actually program games to do PLP the way you envision I doubt it will happen - way too small a niche group. Our best hope for broad PLP gaming support is still at the driver/hardware level - if the game doesn't know there are multiple monitors it won't care and the programmers have less work to do and debug. That only increases if bezel compensation is added to the mix.

I like your layout - the Jerker is set just right so your don't lose the functionality of the top shelf (most desk hutches are shorter than 30" monitors so they become completely useless in PLP). Isn't the TV a bit high to look at comfortably even from a distance? Do the wing monitors muffle the sound from your speakers? I ended up putting my satellite speakers in front of my monitors because it blocked the sound too much.

You could always go 3x2 30s with eyefinity without needing to upgrade your desk, although I think your current setup is a better balance of form and functionality. The Galant is modular, so technically you could keep tacking on extensions and monitors.

I like your layout - the Jerker is set just right so your don't lose the functionality of the top shelf (most desk hutches are shorter than 30" monitors so they become completely useless in PLP). Isn't the TV a bit high to look at comfortably even from a distance? Do the wing monitors muffle the sound from your speakers? I ended up putting my satellite speakers in front of my monitors because it blocked the sound too much.

I love the Jerker. Not sure why Ikea chose to discontinue it and go to the (imo inferior) Fredrik. I made a few changes to the desk and room since I took the first picture. I have an extra wing that I attached below the left speaker to hold my amp and headphones and an extra shelf with extenders that I added above the other one (moved that one down a notch) to hold any extra knicknacks since I don't have drawers anymore. I went from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 with receiver-- realized it was too much, and then backed it up to my current 2.1. They sound good, but I'm on Skype most of the day and people say they get reverb a lot since they're so close. I'm not sure how to send them back any further so I just dragged my mic in front of the keyboard. My mattress is about the level of my desk so it's on a good level when I'm lying down before bed or propped up on a few pillows. I need to take another picture since there's a lot of stuff outside the main desk area, but I think that's probably best for another thread.

You could always go 3x2 30s with eyefinity without needing to upgrade your desk, although I think your current setup is a better balance of form and functionality. The Galant is modular, so technically you could keep tacking on extensions and monitors.

3x2 isn't a great Eyefinity layout because you have a bezel right smack in the middle of the display. Also, ever try finding a stand that is tall enough and strong enough to hold 2x30" vertically? 5x1 is better, theoretically in portrait it should be only a touch wider than my current setup although I'm still not a fan of bezels. As for my desk, sure I can keep tacking on extensions but eventually I'll run out of floor space :)

I'd *KILL* for a 44" 4K monitor. That would have the same PPI (100) as my current monitors and be big enough that Eyefinity is no longer absolutely necessary for immersion. I would then put 2 of my 30" in portrait, one on each side to make the *ULTIMATE* PLP setup :eek: If they made a 41" 4K monitor it would be 108PPI and match the 2560x1440 27", so that *FINALLY* there would be a great companion monitor for them instead of the crappy 15" laptop panels ala nickchong.

Do the wing monitors muffle the sound from your speakers? I ended up putting my satellite speakers in front of my monitors because it blocked the sound too much.

I think I misunderstood your question. The wings on the Jerker extend off the desk and go part the monitors. The speakers sit perpendicular to the monitors so there's no blocking whatsoever. They're actually a lot bigger than they look in the picture and I bet they could hold 100+lb. I used to have an extra monitor on one of them that acted as a TV.

I didn't like the 3x2 myself because of the bezels, but you could still game on a 3x1 and just replace the top 4 in your current setup with 3x30". Not really a huge upgrade or really even useful enough to justify the cost.

I'd love a 4k myself, but I'd expect them to be waaay out of my price range when they're initially offered. Wouldn't 4k just be a standard 16:9 or 16:10 ratio? It would be amazing for productivity on the desktop, but wouldn't it just be a big screen when you're gaming (ie no larger FoV)?

I didn't like the 3x2 myself because of the bezels, but you could still game on a 3x1 and just replace the top 4 in your current setup with 3x30". Not really a huge upgrade or really even useful enough to justify the cost.

I'd love a 4k myself, but I'd expect them to be waaay out of my price range when they're initially offered. Wouldn't 4k just be a standard 16:9 or 16:10 ratio? It would be amazing for productivity on the desktop, but wouldn't it just be a big screen when you're gaming (ie no larger FoV)?

I could already have done the 3x29" 2560x1080 above if I had really wanted to, but it isn't nearly as challenging and it is quite a bit more expensive.

4K is 3840x2160 ie. 4x 1920x1080, the equivalent of my entire top row of monitors. It doesn't increase the FOV (in fact it's only half the width of my current setup but somewhat taller than my 30" monitors). What it *DOES* do is eliminate the bezels and the need for Eyefinity, simplifying the driver situation considerably although you will still need Crossfire/SLI for decent framerates. I'm still not convinced that AMD and/or nVidia will ever come out with a viable PLP driver/card. This all assumes they ever make a 44" 4K - a 32" 4K monitor would not significantly increase the immersion over a 30" 1600p (although it would look a great deal sharper and probably eliminate the need to anti-alias).

I know quite a few people who need that many screens, I even have a customer who went with a bigger solution because mine was too *SMALL* for his tastes - he's a day-trader so he needs lots of screens, went 12x24" 1080p for 24 megapixels with the option to go 6 more if necessary. Luckily for me he doesn't play video games otherwise it would have been hell building such a monster. As it is that third video card is gonna be a tight squeeze if he ever calls me out on that upgrade. Video and audio editors love monitor layouts like mine as it gives them plenty of room for tools and such.

Is there a particular 24" that you would recommend? My dad does day trading and has a large standing desk set up above a treadmill so he can get some exercise while he does it. He's looking at moving to a 6 monitor setup and I haven't looked at monitors in so long I'm not sure of the direction to direct him. Cost is a factor and, in the past, he's waited for displays to go on sale so any displays that regularly go on sale would be a definite plus!

Is there a particular 24" that you would recommend? My dad does day trading and has a large standing desk set up above a treadmill so he can get some exercise while he does it. He's looking at moving to a 6 monitor setup and I haven't looked at monitors in so long I'm not sure of the direction to direct him. Cost is a factor and, in the past, he's waited for displays to go on sale so any displays that regularly go on sale would be a definite plus!

The day trader rig I did was 18 months ago using Samsung Syncmaster panels. They are LCD so they produce a lot of heat, but they do work quite well (being identical makes them easier to set up). If I were to do it again I would definitely go LED.

I just bought four BenQ GW2255 for $110 CDN each, the 24" model is the GW2455 and goes for $160 CDN each. They are MVA panels so they aren't great for first-person shooters but for a day trader they are fantastic because:

1). Cheaper than IPS
2). LED so they produce little heat (important if used in a cramped office)
3). LED also use way less electricity than a conventional LCD (my 4 LEDs use the same power as *ONE* of the 20" LCDs they were replacing - I'm using 250W less power than before)
4). MVA have great viewing angles for large monitor walls
5). GW series have VESA mounts on the back so you can use any custom monitor stands.

From a multimonitor standpoint, the chief disadvantages of the GW series are:

1). They have only DVI, HDMI, and VGA - no DisplayPort, which is annoying for an Eyefinity user. Being 1080p they only need the single-link active adapters ($30CDN each) but it's still a pain. If you are using Matrox or nVidia quad-head cards it doesn't matter.
2). Their control buttons are on the side, not the front of the monitor so when stacking them close together it is difficult to hit the controls as needed. I have to use a power bar to turn them on and off.
3). The bezels aren't the largest in the world but they are in my opinion still larger than necessary, especially since none of the controls are on the bezel.

Obviously I didn't find any of these issues fatal otherwise I wouldn't have bought them, although please note that I was looking for a particular PPI which is why I went 22" instead of 24" and the selection at 22" is quite smaller. There are competitive products from other manufacturers with similar characteristics eg. LG so you aren't wedded to the BenQ brand. As long as you avoid TN (due to the angles issue, especially when you stack monitors because TN angles are quoted for *HORIZONTAL* viewing, not *VERTICAL*) and remember to make sure it has a VESA mount (often referred to as wall mount) you'll be fine. I recommend you go to a brick-and-mortar store to see the various monitors to look for bezel size, control placement, etc. to give you a better idea what you are getting into.

Extremely important question: does his computer support 6 monitors? You need to factor that into your budget - no point in buying 6 monitors if you can only plug in 2. What computer does he use, PC or Mac?

Which way are you going, replacing the 5670 with a 7870 Eyefinity 6, buying a second card like a 7750, or buying 2x7750? My comments about DisplayPort are still valid with the monitor I'm suggesting (and the DisplayPort monitors are either TN or too expensive). If you could find 2x7750 or 2x7770 Flex you'd be in great shape unless you father decides later he wants more than 6 monitors (and don't count that possibility out - the day trader I built for originally specified *FOUR* 30" monitors because he didn't realize that 6 or more monitors were achievable without specialized expensive equipment). BTW, I forgot to mention you need to start pricing monitor stands as well unless you plan on sticking them to a wall.

In the interests of saving money, we'd likely be tacking on another 7750 or something equivalent, or picking up two of them, though I'll have to let him evaluate the ins an outs. So much is dependent upon the monitors he gets, inputs that they have, the cost of the card(s), and potential need for the adapters.
I wish BenQ would come out with the 27" thin bezel monitors and that they'd be incredibly reasonable like $300.

Hell, If I'd have known about his plans, i would have gotten him to order 6 of the korean 27" monitors like mine when they were around $300. That many pixels at that price is pretty compelling.

In the interests of saving money, we'd likely be tacking on another 7750 or something equivalent, or picking up two of them, though I'll have to let him evaluate the ins an outs. So much is dependent upon the monitors he gets, inputs that they have, the cost of the card(s), and potential need for the adapters.
I wish BenQ would come out with the 27" thin bezel monitors and that they'd be incredibly reasonable like $300.

Hell, If I'd have known about his plans, i would have gotten him to order 6 of the korean 27" monitors like mine when they were around $300. That many pixels at that price is pretty compelling.

The only problem is driving that many big monitors - only DisplayPort and dual-link DVI can drive those things. You could easily be looking at 2 big and expensive video cards to do that plus various extra upgrades like a bigger power supply - gets expensive in a real hurry. Besides, the size of the monitors don't actually count for much to day traders, it's the number of windows open they care about and it's a heck of a lot easier to assign a window an entire monitor than try to finesse multiple windows to fit in multiple monitors.

Good point. I like the pixel density of my 27" korean monitor, but if extra screens to have maximized windows in is the priority of day traders, there's no reason to spend more money.

The only problem is driving that many big monitors - only DisplayPort and dual-link DVI can drive those things. You could easily be looking at 2 big and expensive video cards to do that plus various extra upgrades like a bigger power supply - gets expensive in a real hurry. Besides, the size of the monitors don't actually count for much to day traders, it's the number of windows open they care about and it's a heck of a lot easier to assign a window an entire monitor than try to finesse multiple windows to fit in multiple monitors.

Very nicely stated. I would recommend more screens over bigger screens for daytrading because the bezels don't make a huge difference. Also, you could pick up 4-6 decent 22"-24" screens for the price of a 30". If you're concerned with the cost, depending where you live, there might be a business liquidator nearby. There's used to be a place near SF that run of the mill 22" workdesk monitors for like $40 each, or $30 when you bought a bunch of them.

I think you can actually run all 6 monitors with your current setup. 2 displays on the mobo (you'll need to change a setting in BIOS to do it I think), and 4 on the videocard (you'll need active DP adapters to handle more than 3 if they're not native DP monitors I believe). I suspect he might want to add a few more in the future though, so it's a good idea to plan for that if you were going to do it anyways.

I have a question. So I'm running eyefinity with 3x ASUS VE248 monitors on 2 crossfired 6970s. I have a monitor with a Dual link DVI cable, 1 HDMI cable and 1 Single link DVI to active DP adaptor. When I'm in Eyefinity my middle monitor (currently hooked up to my HDMI) is tearing and my other two outer monitors are fine. this happens in AND out of games. Even with V-sync forced. When I'm out of Eyefinity all the monitors are perfectly fine. No tearing. I've tried swapping cables around and I actually just got done swapping video cards around in their slots. I've also re installed the Catalyst Control Center and nothing seems to fix it.

Anything you guys can think of that I'm missing? D:

You aren't missing anything - there are subtle timing differences between DisplayPort, DVI, and HDMI that causes tearing in Eyefinity. The only way around it is to go completely DisplayPort (assuming you have 3 DisplayPorts on one of your video cards). Most people just make sure the tearing monitor isn't the middle one because it's far less noticeable that way.

Very nicely stated. I would recommend more screens over bigger screens for daytrading because the bezels don't make a huge difference. Also, you could pick up 4-6 decent 22"-24" screens for the price of a 30". If you're concerned with the cost, depending where you live, there might be a business liquidator nearby. There's used to be a place near SF that run of the mill 22" workdesk monitors for like $40 each, or $30 when you bought a bunch of them.

I think you can actually run all 6 monitors with your current setup. 2 displays on the mobo (you'll need to change a setting in BIOS to do it I think), and 4 on the videocard (you'll need active DP adapters to handle more than 3 if they're not native DP monitors I believe). I suspect he might want to add a few more in the future though, so it's a good idea to plan for that if you were going to do it anyways.

You're right, 6 is *JUST* possible if no more than 3 of them are over 1080p 60Hz. He'll need 1 single-link DP-to-DVI adapter. He stated his CPU was an i5 5200 and I thought it was one of those funny cut-down Pentium series with the older GPU that gets cut off when a discrete card is installed - he meant an i5 2500 which is an *ENTIRELY* different beast.

You aren't missing anything - there are subtle timing differences between DisplayPort, DVI, and HDMI that causes tearing in Eyefinity. The only way around it is to go completely DisplayPort (assuming you have 3 DisplayPorts on one of your video cards). Most people just make sure the tearing monitor isn't the middle one because it's far less noticeable that way.

EDIT: Just re-read what you said. and no i only have 2 DPs on the video cards. its a shame i cant use the second video card's ports

Last edited:
Hello

Got a small problem after going from Windows 8 to Windows 7

I cant enable my Eyefinity setup, or my third monitor rather.
I have three HP LP3065, two connected over Mini DPs with Apples active adapters and one monitor connected on the DVI port. Two monitors, regardless of which connection, works flawlessly but as soon as I add the third it breaks. Also tried with the HDMI port together with the DPs but same result there.

Worked fine in Windows 8 but I really dont want to use that particularly OS with this setup.
Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Please provide your system specs. It sounds like you need to make sure you're able to run three 30s. If the port or cable you're using is not DL, then that setup is not possible on a single card-- or at least not at native resolution. If the card has DP, DVI is probably a DL port, but if the cables came with your monitors, then they should be DL... Either way, check your gear, post your specs, and gl :]

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 3x1 eyefinity setup.
My current one consists of 2 22" monitors running at 1680x1050 each but those are getting pretty old (well over 10 years now) and they are starting to age. My main screen will "flicker" when there's too much dark going on for instance.

I'm running 2 7970's in cf, an i7 3820 (socket 2011) and 16gigs of ram.

So are there any suggestions on some good, preferably LED (for power consumption), monitors for gaming and work-related stuff?

Also i'm unsure what kind of connections my 7970 has but i think it was DVI, HDMI and 2 mini dp's? so my guess is that it's best to use the hdmi and 2 mini dp ports?

additional info:
- don't really care about how "big" they are
- 1920x1080 offcourse ^^
- no more than 200 euro each if possible :)

Has anyone ever tried Landscape eyefinity except have the monitors arranged vertically rather than horizontally?

So in essence it would be the picture above or:

landscape
landscape
landscape

Right now I have 3 23" in portrait and it's nice but it's frusterating that I am unable to play any movies without have to worry about bezels.

I've also used 3 in landscape horizontally but then the field of view is so wide that it's almost unplayable in many games.

I would think the above setup would be nice but maybe there are issues I'm not thinking about.

Thanks!

Has anyone ever tried Landscape eyefinity except have the monitors arranged vertically rather than horizontally?

So in essence it would be the picture above or:

landscape
landscape
landscape

Right now I have 3 23" in portrait and it's nice but it's frusterating that I am unable to play any movies without have to worry about bezels.

I've also used 3 in landscape horizontally but then the field of view is so wide that it's almost unplayable in many games.

I would think the above setup would be nice but maybe there are issues I'm not thinking about.

Thanks!

Well as I see it you'll have 2 issues:

1). Finding a triple-height monitor stand - they exist but they are fairly expensive and most are triple-wide so you'll have arms sticking out both sides.

2). Finding a good chiropractor to work on your neck as you will strain it looking up that high.

Watching movies (especially streaming movies) on a computer is problematic if you are multitasking, especially with games. You are better off buying a separate dedicated TV and either a blu-ray drive w/streaming capabilities or a HTPC.

Hello guys, I need some help about choosing the right displays for a 3x Eyefinity setup. The graphics card is going to be one of the new R9 290X, I'm waiting for a good non-reference variant of it like Gigabyte Windforce 3 for example.

Here's my requirements:
three 32" (TVs?) @ 1080p (my eyes have gotten kind of bad lately and I find 32 @ 1080 to hit the sweet spot for me)
LED backlighting
thin bezels
good response time and low input lag for proper gaming
at least 60 Hz
they shouldn't blur small text, I will not use them for gaming only....
great colors, IPS maybe?
at least the central TV to be able to display old 4:3 aspect ratio games (for example Colin McRae Rally 2.0) without stretching (letterbox mode or something? My TV has Auto Zoom mode that works nicely)

I'd like to say that money's not an issue, but if more then one model answers my requirements, I'd like to choose the cheapest one :)

Right now I have one Philips 32PFL6605H, sweet colors and works well for gaming, but the bezels are way too thick for Eyefinity, it's also an old model so I'm pretty sure I won't find 2 more. I guess I'll gift it to my mother to watch TV with it.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
Maybe something like this? Not sure how good of a display it has but as far as physical features go it would seem to be an interesting option with the ambient lights. :D

Well as I see it you'll have 2 issues:

1). Finding a triple-height monitor stand - they exist but they are fairly expensive and most are triple-wide so you'll have arms sticking out both sides.

2). Finding a good chiropractor to work on your neck as you will strain it looking up that high.

Watching movies (especially streaming movies) on a computer is problematic if you are multitasking, especially with games. You are better off buying a separate dedicated TV and either a blu-ray drive w/streaming capabilities or a HTPC.

In searching for stands this week for my upcoming "1 over 3" setup, I ran across this reasonably priced vertical triple...the reviews seem pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Deskt...=1385796197&sr=8-6&keywords=vivo+triple+stand

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm looking for a bit of advice for my upcoming "1 over 3" setup. I am planning on running this:

1. Dell U2913WM: mini-DP (out) to DP (in)
2. Asus VN248H: mini-DP to active DVI adapter (out)---DVI cable to HDMI (in)
3. Asus VN248H: DVI (out) to HDMI (in)
4. Asus VN248H: HDMI (out) to HDMI (in)

On the three Asus monitors, I only was able to score two of them due to Newegg's quantity limits. In 48 hours I can pick up another one, but if they are sold out, I was thinking of getting an Asus VN247H-P instead. The 248s are IPS displays but the 247 is a 1ms TN display. The monitors are nearly identical physically (the 247 actually has a bit smaller border but the overall dimensions are nearly spot on...all are 1080p). If that happens, would the TN panel be better in the middle role with the IPS screens on the sides? Is that a recipe for issues with the 1ms center panel and 5ms outer panels? I'd think that having IPS on the "wings" would be fine and the center TN would diminish any viewing angle issues inherent with that panel. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a bit of advice for my upcoming "1 over 3" setup. I am planning on running this:

1. Dell U2913WM: mini-DP (out) to DP (in)
2. Asus VN248H: mini-DP to active DVI adapter (out)---DVI cable to HDMI (in)
3. Asus VN248H: DVI (out) to HDMI (in)
4. Asus VN248H: HDMI (out) to HDMI (in)

On the three Asus monitors, I only was able to score two of them due to Newegg's quantity limits. In 48 hours I can pick up another one, but if they are sold out, I was thinking of getting an Asus VN247H-P instead. The 248s are IPS displays but the 247 is a 1ms TN display. The monitors are nearly identical physically (the 247 actually has a bit smaller border but the overall dimensions are nearly spot on...all are 1080p). If that happens, would the TN panel be better in the middle role with the IPS screens on the sides? Is that a recipe for issues with the 1ms center panel and 5ms outer panels? I'd think that having IPS on the "wings" would be fine and the center TN would diminish any viewing angle issues inherent with that panel. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would recommend trying to go for 3 matched screens, this is something you will be staring at everyday for a long time, you want to be happy with it ;)
That said I have run plenty of mis-matched, or very close screens and they can be just fine, but if starting fresh and buying the parts new I'd go for 3 matched ones even if I had to wait a little while for the 3rd one...

Back