• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

'Expecting the Unexpected' Doesn't Always Work

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Researchers are now saying that “expecting the unexpected” doesn’t always work? Great, now we’re hosed for sure.

"The main finding is that knowing that unexpected events might occur doesn't prevent you from missing unexpected events," researcher Daniel Simons, a psychology professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, said in a university news release.
 
Seriously...where do I get the grant to study this stuff?
 
I would like to apply for a million dollar grant to teach uneducated scientists the meaning of the word unexpected.

Cash is fine. :D
 
no-one-expects-the-spanish-inquisition.jpg
 
If one were to expect the unexpected, it simply would not be unexpected anymore for the very reason that you are expecting it.

Now please give me my million dollars for my incredibly brilliant research which I performed in about 5 seconds and then divulged with impunity upon the forum.
 
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't known...
 
uh, that is actually not news. I read about that a couple of months ago, or maybe it was on tv.

but basically the issue is that we can deal with "known unknowns" but cannot deal with "unknown unknowns"
 
Jokes aside, I'm not even convinced this study showed what they think it showed. The people who were primed to see a gorilla were told there was going to be a gorilla. The unexpected was now expected.
 
Jokes aside, I'm not even convinced this study showed what they think it showed. The people who were primed to see a gorilla were told there was going to be a gorilla. The unexpected was now expected.

Wait...There was a gorilla? I was told there would be a guerrilla.
 
Back
Top