EVoLVE Official Thread

Who has the bolt thing? Man, i've never gotten a game beating himn

How the people in the 20's already? I've played several hours and I haven't unlocked shit yet, even at level 13. Unless peeps are just power leveling via solo mode while im doing multiplayer.

That's what I did. I just unlocked all the characters from Solo first. Which took me to around level 15. Then I had a LAN for Evolve over the weekend and I'm at 24 now. Just play evacuation, you level quick.

Who has the bolt thing? Man, i've never gotten a game beating himn

How the people in the 20's already? I've played several hours and I haven't unlocked shit yet, even at level 13. Unless peeps are just power leveling via solo mode while im doing multiplayer.

you need to have the right group of Hunters...you can't expect to take down Wraith with all Tier 1 Hunters...you need special weapons, gear abilities...each Tier of Hunter corresponds to each Tier of Monster...so Tier 1 Hunters are best for Goliath, Tier 2 for Kraken, Tier 3 for Wraith

as far as unlocking, just look at the 'Character Mastery' screen after each round is over...it'll tell you what you need to advance to the next Tier...for example use the 'Med Gun to heal 5 members', 'use the flame thrower to cause 2000 damage' etc...I was mainly grinding through the unlocks early on in order to unlock as many Monsters, Hunters as possible...after you have at least all Tier 2 Hunters you can take down pretty much any Monster...then you'll see that it's the Hunters that are over-powered, not the Monsters

you need to have the right group of Hunters...you can't expect to take down Wraith with all Tier 1 Hunters...you need special weapons, gear abilities...each Tier of Hunter corresponds to each Tier of Monster...so Tier 1 Hunters are best for Goliath, Tier 2 for Kraken, Tier 3 for Wraith

as far as unlocking, just look at the 'Character Mastery' screen after each round is over...it'll tell you what you need to advance to the next Tier...for example use the 'Med Gun to heal 5 members', 'use the flame thrower to cause 2000 damage' etc...I was mainly grinding through the unlocks early on in order to unlock as many Monsters, Hunters as possible...after you have at least all Tier 2 Hunters you can take down pretty much any Monster...then you'll see that it's the Hunters that are over-powered, not the Monsters

Precisely. I figured almost immediately that the people complaining "Wraith OP" after playing the game only two hours would just need to put more time in, in order to eventually realize that the game is balanced around "the long game", meaning moderately leveled hunters, not Level 1's.

When I watch streams of good players lightyears better than I, and they're on voice comms and coordinating, its really a thing to behold. And you'll notice a lot of games come right down to the wire, with one hunter left alive on his last sliver of health and the monster on his last. Its remarkable how well balanced the game actually is.

Last edited:
That's what I did. I just unlocked all the characters from Solo first. Which took me to around level 15. Then I had a LAN for Evolve over the weekend and I'm at 24 now. Just play evacuation, you level quick.

Maybe thats what i'll do then, as multiplayer is taking too damn long to level up

When I watch streams of good players lightyears better than I, and they're on voice comms and coordinating, its really a thing to behold. And you'll notice a lot of games come right down to the wire, with one hunter left alive on his last sliver of health and the monster on his last. Its remarkable how well balanced the game actually is.

I agree that for a 4v1 MP, the game is very well balanced...each one of the Hunters is fun in their own way...I used to hate playing the Medic but now I like it a lot...Lazarus is great...once everyone is on the same page as far as hunting and killing the Monster the game is crazy fun

I find that as long as 1 person has a mic to coordinate then that's fine

Wraith is still unfair bullshit, I just quit games when I see people are gonna use it. I honestly am not going to waste my time

I listen to the weekly RebelFM podcast and Arthur Gies of polygon has been fallowing this game and playing it from early alpha to code complete and from day one he has been saying Wraith is bullshit OP, and for nearly a year he said balancing Wraith should be one of the top things to fix.

I just unlocked the Tier 3 Trapper guy Abe...guy is a boss...those stasis grenades will bring any Monster to it's knees

Yeah, I play Abe most of the time, that tracking dart is awesome too.

Abe's grenades plus Vals dart is pretty killer to a Kraken.

must have been a last min change for retail as thats how it was.

I wont claim to know for sure but I do not recall that being the statement during either alpha or the beta. I have nothing substantial to back that up but I do not recall seeing that anywhere.

I think it more comes down to how each person plays. I have seen a Maggy pin a wraith down who was lured into the trap very well by bucket and the centuries + damage amp and Lazarus did the rest.

All hunters are able to compete against any monster. Now depending on how the monster plays you will find different combinations that work out better.

I think it more comes down to how each person plays. I have seen a Maggy pin a wraith down who was lured into the trap very well by bucket and the centuries + damage amp and Lazarus did the rest.

All hunters are able to compete against any monster. Now depending on how the monster plays you will find different combinations that work out better.

you're right...with the right combination of skill I think any group of Hunters could beat any Monster...although higher Tiers have better abilities so theoretically it would be easier

I just finished a match where I lost playing the Wraith...down to the final Hunter but he was cloaked so I couldn't see him...I thought I was safe to Evolve to Stage 3 but then all of a sudden he rained down a missle barrage on my head while I was transforming

I listen to the weekly RebelFM podcast and Arthur Gies of polygon has been fallowing this game and playing it from early alpha to code complete and from day one he has been saying Wraith is bullshit OP, and for nearly a year he said balancing Wraith should be one of the top things to fix.

Glad I'm not the only one

I don't think wraith is OP at the moment, if you face a Wraith that is willing to fight you at level 1 or 2, you can win.

If you get a Wraith who will not engage you at lvl 1 or 2 (even when domed they will just evade and hide the entire time) she will win. Their strategy is to not fight you so that when they reach lvl 3 they have full health and full armor, then they can easily win.

A Wraith who is at maybe 1/2 HP/Armor when they reach lvl 3 is a fair fight. The problem with this strategy is its boring as fuck, its 15+ minutes of running around the map doing absolutely nothing. It makes for very lame gameplay.

What me and my group of friends have been doing when a Wraith plays like that is once she reaches lvl 3, just find some corner of the map to hide. This way there is no fight and the Wraith basically wasted their time.

I don't think wraith is OP at the moment, if you face a Wraith that is willing to fight you at level 1 or 2, you can win.

If you get a Wraith who will not engage you at lvl 1 or 2 (even when domed they will just evade and hide the entire time) she will win. Their strategy is to not fight you so that when they reach lvl 3 they have full health and full armor, then they can easily win.

A Wraith who is at maybe 1/2 HP/Armor when they reach lvl 3 is a fair fight. The problem with this strategy is its boring as fuck, its 15+ minutes of running around the map doing absolutely nothing. It makes for very lame gameplay

in my experience a good team can beat any Monster at any level...that being said the best strategy when fighting any of the Monsters is to track and find them before they hit Stage 3...that's why the Tier 2 and 3 Hunters are so good because of their tracking darts, sound spikes, stasis grenades etc...Hunters are overpowered until the Monster hits Stage 3...once that happens the Monster has the advantage

I find evading some of the better Hunters tough...they track you so quickly...and I'm always crouching to avoid leaving tracks...if I move far away from the Dropship then I cannot crouch but if I crouch from the start it gives the Hunters a leg up...it's a great game of cat and mouse

Last edited:
The wraith isn't even fun to play. It's impossible for the hunters to pick when to fight. I can just do whatever I want the entire match and then fight them whenever I choose.

Also here are some helpful tips for new people:
http://www.reddit.com/r/EvolveGame/comments/2vkrri/advanced_tipsuntold_hidden_gems

Thanks a lot for posting this, lots of golden tips/tricks in there

Does anyone have the Evolve Strategy Guide from Bradygames? Is it worth it or are all the tips/tricks already known/posted online?

I don't fully agree with polonyc2's statement. As the monster, if I'm allowed to get to stage 2 and then get my armor.. that's all I need. I can then pick where I want to fight and in that scenario I have roughly a 80% success rate.

I don't even bother going to stage 3 UNLESS I kill the team at stage 2 and the support cloaks and gets away. In that scenario I go for the relay and if the support shows up I just sneak pounce and they are done.

I don't fully agree with polonyc2's statement. As the monster, if I'm allowed to get to stage 2 and then get my armor.. that's all I need. I can then pick where I want to fight and in that scenario I have roughly a 80% success rate.

I don't even bother going to stage 3 UNLESS I kill the team at stage 2 and the support cloaks and gets away. In that scenario I go for the relay and if the support shows up I just sneak pounce and they are done.

what level are you at?...you can technically pick a spot where you want to fight but the Hunters don't have to engage you there...if the timer runs out and the Monster hasn't destroyed the relay or killed the Hunters then the Hunters win the match...so it's really not as simple as picking your spot...like I said it's all about the skill and teamwork of the Hunters

Stage 2 or 3 is better for the Monster but it by no means ensures a victory against quality teams...Abe's stasis grenades are brutal to any Monster, combined with Lazarus cloak healing, Parnell's shotgun, Cabot's damage amplifier and the Monster has no chance

It call comes down to how each side plays their chosen characters. Anyone can do well at any level. But so many factors can influence the victory at any point which keeps it interesting and fun. Of course an L2 monster is more able to match the hunters, and 3 is very likely to win unless the hunters are playing their roles and the fighting grounds are in their favor or equal.

My personal favorite way to win is the arena over the relay milking the clock. Angers the greedy monsters so much who were trying to be semi douches anyway. Good times.

what level are you at?...you can technically pick a spot where you want to fight but the Hunters don't have to engage you there...if the timer runs out and the Monster hasn't destroyed the relay or killed the Hunters then the Hunters win the match...so it's really not as simple as picking your spot...like I said it's all about the skill and teamwork of the Hunters

Stage 2 or 3 is better for the Monster but it by no means ensures a victory against quality teams...Abe's stasis grenades are brutal to any Monster, combined with Lazarus cloak healing, Parnell's shotgun, Cabot's damage amplifier and the Monster has no chance

I'm having trouble playing as Lazarus maybe you can help me.

Lets say there is a 30 second encounter with the monster, since there are cooldowns, I can really only cloak and heal the team one time.

Most monsters corpse camp, so if a teammate is downed, there is no way I can run over and use the Lazarus device without getting downed myself?

Any tips appreciated

I'm having trouble playing as Lazarus maybe you can help me.

Lets say there is a 30 second encounter with the monster, since there are cooldowns, I can really only cloak and heal the team one time.

Most monsters corpse camp, so if a teammate is downed, there is no way I can run over and use the Lazarus device without getting downed myself?

Any tips appreciated

yeah it's tricky...what makes Lazarus unique though is that for a short period of time you can revive teammates even after the Monster has killed them...so you don't need to run over and heal them while they are incapacitated if the opportunity is not there...you can use the Heal burst from a short range

a good way of practicing is in the Solo mode...you can play as any Monster/Hunter against bots to get a feel for the class and abilities...any leveling up also counts towards your progression

Is there an issue with SLI in this game? I'm getting pretty crap scaling, 30 to 50 fps.

Edit: Never mind all is working well now. :)

Last edited:
This game really that stiff on the requirements? I'm on the fence about buying it thus far..

Kind of mirrors what TB had to say about the game...can be really fun, but 50% of the time it ends up being a Benny Hill chase. I don't think it has a lot of staying power. Plus from what I played of the beta, it felt like after you played a few rounds you were ready to call it quits for awhile...very repetitive feeling. I'm sure new hunter and monster combos bring a bit of variety, but that only lasts so long.

Kind of mirrors what TB had to say about the game...can be really fun, but 50% of the time it ends up being a Benny Hill chase. I don't think it has a lot of staying power. Plus from what I played of the beta, it felt like after you played a few rounds you were ready to call it quits for awhile...very repetitive feeling. I'm sure new hunter and monster combos bring a bit of variety, but that only lasts so long.

That depends on who you are playing with / against. Most games have repetitive attributes. This is a hunt so you have to track down your pray. If the monster is decent or above average every hunter needs to be taking part.

The only monster I get bored with is Wraith since that one is mostly a fruitless chase. The rest you can track, head off, corner etc. Or get hunted by your prey which keeps it interesting.

Tonight my group was able to take down a decent Wraith but we were all over him the whole round. It took almost 18 minutes for him to reach level 3. Lots of running but for most of the rout d we were hot on his heels keeping him from feeding much. First fun Wraith match I have had. Some of the tactics and play styles bring keep it fun.

The only monster I get bored with is Wraith since that one is mostly a fruitless chase. The rest you can track, head off, corner etc. Or get hunted by your prey which keeps it interesting

I get bored playing Wraith...I actually like playing the Kraken best...attacking from the air is a lot of fun...I think they need to nerf some of the tracking BS that the Hunters have...the fact that Abe can shoot tracking darts into food that the Monster may eat is a bit unfair...the Hunters already have enough tools to help them

I'm at Level 33, unlocked all the Hunters and Monsters...still having fun...hopefully the 4th Monster (Behemoth) gets added soon along with some new Maps...the maps also need to be bigger or they need to nerf some of the tracking abilities of the Hunters

I'm at Level 33, unlocked all the Hunters and Monsters...still having fun...hopefully the 4th Monster (Behemoth) gets added soon along with some new Maps...the maps also need to be bigger or they need to nerf some of the tracking abilities of the Hunters

Agreed. cant wait for behometh, and would love some bigger maps, and alternate game types

Anyone having the game crash on them a lot? It's getting really frustrating to try and play the game just to have it freeze my whole computer.

Agreed. cant wait for behometh, and would love some bigger maps, and alternate game types

I find it interesting that you both would like bigger maps and nerfed tracking abilities. The most common criticism of the game is that the "hunt/chase" takes too long. I think that bigger maps and fewer tracking abilities would make that issue worse? Or maybe you don't think it's an issue?

I personally would like to see "PREDATOR" as a new monster ;) more tracking abilities, and possibly a 4v4 mode with 4 hunters versus 4 stage 1 monsters or something

I personally would like to see "PREDATOR" as a new monster ;) more tracking abilities, and possibly a 4v4 mode with 4 hunters versus 4 stage 1 monsters or something

I want a giant ape named KONG that whips barrels and bananas at the hunters. You see where I'm going with this.

I find it interesting that you both would like bigger maps and nerfed tracking abilities. The most common criticism of the game is that the "hunt/chase" takes too long. I think that bigger maps and fewer tracking abilities would make that issue worse? Or maybe you don't think it's an issue?

the hunt either takes awhile or the good Hunters find you quickly...there's pretty much no middle ground in my experience...there's a loose 20 minute time clock for every Hunt Match but it can be extended...I actually prefer longer matches so bigger maps would be my preference...I also wish there were Dedicated Servers instead of Matchmaking but that's a pipe dream

the maps also look very similar to each other so I would like more variety...different modes, Monsters, Hunters etc should keep things fresh for awhile though

Back