EVGA X79 SR-3 Pics!

EpsilonZer0

Weaksauce
I present the EVGA X79 SR-3

Wowza!
EVGA went BIG and proved that they are still the alpha dog of the pack.

This thing will undoubtably be $600 +

The SR3, going with tradition, is a 2P high-end desktop/workstation motherboard in the E-ATX form-factor. It features two LGA2011 sockets, which can hold 2P-capable Xeon processors in the LGA2011 package, though we have to wait and see if at least the top-end Core i7 "Sandy Bridge-E" chips turn out to be 2P-capable. Socket 0 is wired to eight DDR3 DIMM slots (two per channel), while socket 1 has four (one per channel). This shows that the two sockets can be asymmetrically populated with DIMMs, like 2P LGA1366 systems.

There are two BGA chips, at least one of them is a platform controller hub (PCH). There are seven PCI-Express x16 slots, out of which, four are PCI-Express 3.0 x16 capable, every slot is PCI-Express 3.0 x8 capable. Of course, 4-way NVIDIA SLI is supported. In terms of storage connectivity, there are, according to EVGA, 14 SATA ports. Other connectivity includes 8+2 channel HD audio, two GbE connections, USB 3.0, eSATA, Bluetooth, and EVBot connections.

Moving on to things that actually make this an enthusiast product, umm...where do we start? Each CPU socket is powered by a 6+1 phase digital PWM power supply driven by CPL inductors, and Volterra PWM circuitry. The memory in turn is powered by 8-phase digital PWM circuitry. Apart from the 24-pin ATX connector, power is drawn in by two 8-pin EPS, and three 6-pin PCIe connectors, so you can imagine power delivery to be robust. There is every EVGA-exclusive feature you can imagine, starting from DIP switches that let you toggle PCI-Express slots and SATA ports, consolidated voltage measurement points, EVBot support (the module could even come bundled), full POSCAP design, and a UEFI firmware with every option a record-seeking overclocker could possibly tinker with.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/evga-sr3-super-record-3-cometh/13788.html#ixzz1bR2Yhyug

96a.jpg

The kind of had to come out with this, as they're fading in the rest of the motherboard arena since the Sapphire exodus.

Better not have another marvel nic like the SR2 for that price.

I wonder if they could have rotated the 4dimm socket 90* to allow for the standard 8 dimms

BTW, Im waiting to see what Sapphire has to offer

Holy shit that is one beast of a mobo. Most of us would never be able to use that to its fullest potential though, I mean, gaming on that thing would be a total waste. I will admit though, that would make one hell of a folding box...but not for the amount of money you would have to spend to get that thing breathing.

Don't like where the SATA connectors are, looks better on the side for better cable management.

Damn, that thing is huge! I'm not sure I see the point in putting all those PCI-E x16/x8 slots next to each other, though. There are rarely any single-slot cards anymore unless you water cool.

What makes you think it's a $600 board?

What makes you think its not?

The current SR-2 retails for $579 at newegg and that board is 2+ years old.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188070&Tpk=evga sr-2

Intel upped the licensing fees for X79 to $70 per chipset compared to X58's $50 and then you have to factor that by 2x because there are 2 sockets.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-x79-chipset-is-20-15-more-expensive-than-x58/

EVGA then decided to use 100% POScaps which will also increase the production cost.

I think $600 would be the low end of what this board will cost with the highend being near $800.

It has 2 SAS connectors, the 2 silver ports in the top corner. Add a breakout cable and each of those ports become 4 SATA 3 ports, for a total of 10 SATA 3 and 4 SATA 2.

I just wish it had more DIMM slots. The platform supports 12 per CPU I think(definitely 8 per CPU). 8+4 is quite underwhelming.

Beastly but for what? Honestly what game out there or app is screaming for this at the moment if you have a 5 ghz Sandy?

It needs to be plugged into a generator............holy shit.........two 8 plugs and three 6 plugs.....:eek:

IF you a AMD or Intel fan, this is one board that will make anyone get [H]ard. Now only if I was not married....

They finally wised up and have obviously quit trying to push the HPTX form factor bullshit.

I hope they do a better job on the build quality on this thing; many of us had problems with ram disappearing on the SR-2 because the contacts on the ram slots were loose (or something).

They finally wised up and have obviously quit trying to push the HPTX form factor bullshit.

I hope they do a better job on the build quality on this thing; many of us had problems with ram disappearing on the SR-2 because the contacts on the ram slots were loose (or something).

So is this thing going to be eATX or something? I hope so and not HPTX even though Im going to get a case labs case.

I have to say, as much as I want to see an LGA2011 SR3, this thing looks half baked. The SR2 looked beautiful. I think the asymmetrical RAM layout is putting me off. Also, there do not seem to be nearly enough discrete components cluttering up the board. I think this is just a shop.

Board has overclocking potential, but there arent yet any cpus that can be overclocked on this board

I dont see the point of 8 DIMMs for 1 cpu but only 4 for the other, mine as well have been 4/4

Low number of SATA ports both 4 and 6

Its obviously unfinished but overall the board looks incredibly weak, hopefully they will add heatspreaders to more than the 2 uncovered chips

Honestly, I have not found any reason to support and or purchase the EVGA SR-3 over the competing Asus Z9PE-D8 WS board. Guess that is the reason why I pulled the trigger on the Asus board. If something develops where the SR-3 proves to be the winner of the duo, I will undoubtedly switch.

Finally some decent pictures. Although for what the board costs they should at least throw in some sas to sata fanout cables or sas cables.

Back