EVGA X58 Motherboard Confirmed - don't get set on other offerings just yet!

AuDioFreaK39

Limp Gawd
I've known this for quite some time now, and I just didn't know if it was still under NDA or not, but - EVGA will be releasing an X58 motherboard that will *hopefully* release at the launch of Nehalem. I've talked to a few people at EVGA about this, and they are very hush hush about timeframes but they did say there is an EVGA X58 platform in the works.

Absolute confirmation can be found in NVIDIA's latest press release:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1224586792565.html

“EVGA is continuing its tradition of bringing true enthusiast platforms to the market following the success with NVIDIA nForce-based SLI motherboards supporting Intel CPUs,” said Joe Darwin, Director of Technical Marketing at EVGA. “By licensing NVIDIA SLI technology, the EVGA X58 motherboard will deliver the ultimate 2-way and 3-way SLI platform to, once again, meet the enthusiast’s demand.”

Hardware Akutell - EVGA is Working on X58 Mainboard (Translated)

With that said, don't get your eyes set on the ASUS P6T or Gigabyte EX58 offerings because, as stated from my sources, "they will suck compared to this monster!"

In addition, here is a blog entry written by Theo Valich from Wordpress describing the situation:

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: EVGA to launch Intel X58 motherboards

http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008...-motherboards/

When it comes to add-in board vendors, EVGA is probably the most faithful company in the business. Ever since the company launched, Nvidia was the only name EVGA wanted to hear about. But, things are about to change.
Here are the facts:
1) EVGA does not want to miss the Core i7 train
2) Nvidia is not making a chipset for Intel Core i7
3) EVGA poached excellent engineering team from now-defunct EPoX and does not want that team to do nothing until MCP8-series show up
Well, those facts end with a really simple result. EVGA is preparing to launch its first non-Nvidia based motherboard, but it will still have Nvidia chips on it. You’ve guessed it right - X58+nForce 200 bridges for full Triple-SLI capability.
The motherboard is being designed by ex-EPoX engineering team, bringing plentiful of overclocking capabilities, Digital PWM, and fully solid-state caps across the board. Special attention is being given to providing top juice to graphics cards, so if you decide to go for the gold and grab 3-SLI setup with three water-cooled GTX270 boards, be our guest.
But, that is not all. This is the first motherboard, which will be followed by ultimate motherboard for this Christmas, no questions asked. The enthusiast motherboard is actually being designed by a world class overclocker. Yes, the one and only Peter Tan a.k.a. Shamino, who is making “Shamino special”.

For those unaware – Brian Flood from Mushkin, Shamino, Kinc and I share a special connection. According to German police, we all had the honor of dying and resurrecting. Last year, we were all pronounced “missing presumably dead” when some east-German thieves stole helluwa stuff from our brand new VW Passat Variant, en route to the airport. Well, VW is one car I will *never* buy. Piece of alarm-unsecured junk.
Getting back to the subject, EVGA is bringing several things to high-end X58 market that nobody has. First of all, the company will offer limited lifetime warranty (just as with all of their high-end products) and yes, 90-day Step up program.
If that is not making ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and other motherboard makers sweat, we don’t know what will. Lifetime warranty on a motherboard? Free upgrade program? Bloody hell, I am buying that one.
P.S. I'd also like to note that this will be EVGA's first Intel chipset board. ;)

pretty cool to hear, you think more Nvidia cards will be sold now??

Its definitely a good question, and to be honest... i think that was the gamble Nvidia was taking when giving SLi to Intel. I think that it should definitely have a beneficial impact now that people who want nvidia can now get an nvidia, amd or intel chipset. :)

evgax58layoutda5.jpg

Looks nice, I suppose this will also support Crossfire because x58 is meant to support both SLI and Crossfire, but witth EVGA who knows?

Nice.

Will that mosfet cooler limit the HSF fan choices we will have?

Is it just me, or does the board look... cleaner somehow. Classy. I like the look!

In for one if it doesn't break the bank.

Let's hope it doesn't blow fucking goats like my EVGA 750i SLI... :rolleyes:

Although that's really Nvidia's fault and not EVGA's at all.

I will try to get better angled pics. as this board definitely looks sexy from the right angle. Most boards that look sexy flat have convoluted heatsink assemblies. The X58 doesnt require that since its such a cool running chipset.

Just to confirm this is not the Final heatsink assembly so it may be improved in later revisions, as you can see the board is Revision 0.0

For those who do not know here are the specs.

* Supports Intel Core i7 Processors
* Intel X58/ICH10R Chipset
* EVGA VDroop Control
* 100% Solid State Capicators
* 6 DIMM triple-channel DDR3
* 10 SATA II 3.0GB/s ports (1 e-SATA)
* EVGA E-LEET Turning Utility

fozneq.jpg

Nice.

Will that mosfet cooler limit the HSF fan choices we will have?

It will to some degree.

Is it just me, or does the board look... cleaner somehow. Classy. I like the look!

In for one if it doesn't break the bank.

This is due to the digital PWM's and solid state capacitors which clean up the board quite a bit. I'm looking at a EVGA 790i Ultra SLI FTW board right now and it is very clean compared to other 790i Ultra SLI boards I've looked at.

look very clean and sexy

BTW when we going to move to BTX i need more slot really

BTX is pretty much dead. Only a few OEMs use it anymore. It just hasn't caught on and that's probably because AMD processor compatible board makers couldn't follow suit with BTX (the memory slots would have been too far away from the processor on AMD processor compatible BTX boards) and therefore many OEMs and system builders didn't want to use AMD and Intel specific chassis for their build. BTX didn't really give you more expansion slots than ATX anyway. BTX was designed to improve thermal performance because back when BTX was created the Pentium 4 and Pentium D were Intel's processor products and ATX solutions were largely becoming inadequate in regard to cooling.

I don't think this will impact their sales much. Yes a few people who had been previously turned off to SLI may take the SLI plunge now but with ATI having much more competitive solutions on the market than they did six months or a year ago I think we'll see a drop in NVIDIA video card sales if anything. I'd expect NVIDIA revenue to fall since there won't be hardly anymore NVIDIA Intel processor compatible chipset based board sales going forward. And what sales we do see going forward will absolutely be in decline. This move effectively eliminates NVIDIA's Intel chipset business. With ATI now being part of AMD who knows what will happen to NVIDIA AMD processor compatible chipsets in the long run. We may see NVIDIA's chipset business die off completely at some point in the future.

On the other hand ATI's chipset business will only grow as they will no doubt continue to make chipsets for their own processors.

I'll toss out a guess on the price. 400$

Yes, I know that's high, but I think that's what it'll be at launch.

This will be very interesting, nice looking board.

I'm glad Intel just went ahead and licensed SLI compatable chipsets(or what ever they did) the nvidia chipsets I owned were a little flaky.

My Intel chipset boards have been so much easier to work with.

The thing that just breaks my heart is the damn i7 HSF.........I'm going to have at least 4 socket 775 third party HSFs that will be unuseable.:mad:

The thing that just breaks my heart is the damn i7 HSF.........I'm going to have at least 4 socket 775 third party HSFs that will be unuseable.:mad:

I know Thermalright is coming up with updated brackets for some of their heatsinks.

8 channel audio = 6 sockets/plugs?

Can someone explain this to me?

wouldnt you need 8 plugs for 8 channels? 7 for speakers and 1 for subwoofer?

hoping one day we will get a video/audio card combo with hdmi...

8 channel audio = 6 sockets/plugs?

Can someone explain this to me?

wouldnt you need 8 plugs for 8 channels? 7 for speakers and 1 for subwoofer?

hoping one day we will get a video/audio card combo with hdmi...

Stero plugs have 2 channels and 1 ground. You only need 4 plugs for 7.1.

I am kinda disappointed in the look of it. I think the CPU socket is too close to the edge. I had this problem with EVGA's 680i in my case where I have to orient the T.R.U.E. cooler is such a way that it doesn't blow out the back. Same thing will happen with this type of case with this motherboard.

I've found my new motherboard.

I'll wait for the reviews before I make any statements like that. I'd advise others to do the same. Sure it looks good on paper, and in photos but that doesn't mean anything.

$350? You're dreaming. Intel's X58 Smackover board will be around that much, and theirs only has 4 DIMM slots. This should be closer to $400, maybe $450.

Weird though, why only 7 SATA? From the looks of it, only 4 are ICH10R, the other 4 will probably be something like jmicron. And why is one of them all the way in the middle of the board above PCIe1? I also hope that NB heatsink is hiding the CPU fan connector, because otherwise that'll be really odd.

Well, we'll see how it performs. Gotta love EVGA warranty and support. Intel chipset and EVGA; sounds a lot better than NVIDIA chipset and, well, anything, am I right? :p

$350? You're dreaming. Intel's X58 Smackover board will be around that much, and theirs only has 4 DIMM slots. This should be closer to $400, maybe $450.

Weird though, why only 7 SATA? From the looks of it, only 4 are ICH10R, the other 4 will probably be something like jmicron. And why is one of them all the way in the middle of the board above PCIe1? I also hope that NB heatsink is hiding the CPU fan connector, because otherwise that'll be really odd.

Well, we'll see how it performs. Gotta love EVGA warranty and support. Intel chipset and EVGA; sounds a lot better than NVIDIA chipset and, well, anything, am I right? :p

The red SATA port all by itself is probably intended to be used for an eSATA bracket. There are actually 8 SATA devices supported on the board. There is one fixed eSATA port on the backplane judging by the photo. As for what ports belong to each controller its' hard to say without getting ahold of the board. I'd find it very strange if only four were linked to the ICH10R and the other four were linked to a JMicron solution. Seems unlikely. In any case the color coding of the SATA ports may not even be correct. That may be a prototype board in the photo. It's difficult to say how close that will be to the final retail product.

Makes sense, I hope you're right. Only time will tell, I suppose. Hope you get one of these to review, Dan.

Makes sense, I hope you're right. Only time will tell, I suppose. Hope you get one of these to review, Dan.

I know I'll review some X58 chipset based boards. I'm just not sure which ones as of yet.

I know I'll review some X58 chipset based boards. I'm just not sure which ones as of yet.

Clear me up on something, a little off topic, but.............

If you buy an X58 board that has SLI capability, will that same board also support CrossfireX????

Doesn't the SkullTrail do that??

Clear me up on something, a little off topic, but.............

If you buy an X58 board that has SLI capability, will that same board also support CrossfireX????

Doesn't the SkullTrail do that??

Yes and yes. I've tested SLI, 3-Way SLI and CrossfireX on the Intel D5400XS. CrossfireX support was disappointing but it did technically work.

Yes and yes. I've tested SLI, 3-Way SLI and CrossfireX on the Intel D5400XS. CrossfireX support was disappointing but it did technically work.

with as many problems as you had "technically work" almost seems a stretch. I am hoping that the X58 does better then that.

with as many problems as you had "technically work" almost seems a stretch. I am hoping that the X58 does better then that.

It worked fine in that I had no crashes or instability. The problem was that the performance was shitty in half the games I tested. Using almost the same hardware as Driver Heaven I couldn't get half or sometimes even a quarter of the performance they got in the same games. Granted details about their testing methods weren't really disclosed in the article but none the less I should have been able to get results that in some way mirrored theirs and I couldn't. I tried for two weeks and got nothing but crap performance out of the 4870 X2 and dual 4870 X2's in CrossfireX.

I'll wait for the reviews before I make any statements like that. I'd advise others to do the same. Sure it looks good on paper, and in photos but that doesn't mean anything.

No doubt, I agree. Im just saying as far as the Core i7 and X58 things go, when I decide to upgrade this is most likely the board I will use.

Back