EVGA X58 Motherboard Confirmed - don't get set on other offerings just yet!

I will never pay more than $250 for a motherboard. Never!
I will never pay less than $125 for a motherboard. Never!
EVGA P55?

EVGA P55?

I think I said the same thing, then I went out and bought a 780i. Other than not being able to do a minus GTLRVREF, I've been completely happy with it.

The guesses on pricing are very high. Don't know about the rest of you, but when I start looking at a board that goes for $400+, I'm going to expect multiple CPU sockets, more RAM slots, and possibly an onboard SAS controller. (IE, server/workstation pricing) While some might, most gamers will not have the budget for a mainboard that will cost more than the CPU. That, and the hefty premium DDR3 RAM goes for... this might be a tough sell. Count me out as an early adopter this time.

The guesses on pricing are very high. Don't know about the rest of you, but when I start looking at a board that goes for $400+, I'm going to expect multiple CPU sockets, more RAM slots, and possibly an onboard SAS controller. (IE, server/workstation pricing) While some might, most gamers will not have the budget for a mainboard that will cost more than the CPU. That, and the hefty premium DDR3 RAM goes for... this might be a tough sell. Count me out as an early adopter this time.

Core7/i7 isn't going to be a "mainstream" part. There really isn't any reason for the average gamer to get one.

Core7/i7 isn't going to be a "mainstream" part. There really isn't any reason for the average gamer to get one.

Then why should anyone really upgrade to i7 ? Just curious if someone has the Q9650 QuadCore with 4gb DDR2 on a X48 Intel motherboard, that is the best of the best today before Nehalem next month.

Why should an eXtreme gamer or [H]ard enthusiast upgrade to i7 ? Will MMORPG's that require more than just a beefy Videocard run smoother, games like WAR or AoC ?

Then why should anyone really upgrade to i7 ? Just curious if someone has the Q9650 QuadCore with 4gb DDR2 on a X48 Intel motherboard, that is the best of the best today before Nehalem next month.

Why should an eXtreme gamer or [H]ard enthusiast upgrade to i7 ? Will MMORPG's that require more than just a beefy Videocard run smoother, games like WAR or AoC ?

Honestly, there really isn't a reason for the gamer to upgrade to the i7.

EVGA P55?

Yes, you will be paying more than $250 for a motherboard one day. I used to think I'd never spend more than $150 for a high end motherboard until the i875P chipset based boards came out and routinely broke that price range and were as expensive as $200 in some cases. (The P4C800 Deluxe was one example of this.)

Ugh, why do some companies design their slots so you lose the only PCI-Express slot for a sound card when using a dual-slot video card? I don't get it.

Ugh, why do some companies design their slots so you lose the only PCI-Express slot for a sound card when using a dual-slot video card? I don't get it.

Partly the dated ATX form factor is to blame.

Arg, why did they keep that stupid northbridge fan? Hated it in the 680i, hated it in the 780i - loud and ineffective.

Arg, why did they keep that stupid northbridge fan? Hated it in the 680i, hated it in the 780i - loud and ineffective.

I wouldn't say it was ineffective. It wasn't as good as I would have liked but it wasn't ineffective. The north bridge fan is really necessary on many chipsets. Its' either that or they throw a huge mess of heat pipes and heat sinks onto the board. Take your pick. (I know I'd pick the latter, but you get the idea.)

I wouldn't say it was ineffective. It wasn't as good as I would have liked but it wasn't ineffective. The north bridge fan is really necessary on many chipsets. Its' either that or they throw a huge mess of heat pipes and heat sinks onto the board. Take your pick. (I know I'd pick the latter, but you get the idea.)

I don't mind a fan on my NB, but I have to agree, the one on the 780i is louder than it needs to be and the fin spacing is insanely wide, I really think they could double the fins on that heatsink and reduce the rpms on that fan.

I don't mind a fan on my NB, but I have to agree, the one on the 780i is louder than it needs to be and the fin spacing is insanely wide, I really think they could double the fins on that heatsink and reduce the rpms on that fan.

A higher quality fan would also be a nice way to deal with the heat. The quality of most north bridge fans is abysmal.

A higher quality fan would also be a nice way to deal with the heat. The quality of most north bridge fans is abysmal.

Yeah, they really are. It frustrates me sometimes when companies put out high quality products, then skimp on those last 2 or 3 details that make things feel cheap. :(

That is why that Foxconn is so cool to me with the interchangable North Bridge cooling. This will make it really really easy for me to watercool everything.

With TriSLi.

Also, in regards to those who asked about the 8 pin you can now see where it is located.

imageft4.jpg

Clearly EVGA logo is not present enough in this picture. :p

That 8 pin power connector looks very poorly placed. I see what looks like 8-phase power, possibly 3-phase on the north bridge and they at least went with 3-phase power for the memory. Not bad. I'm skeptical. I never had good experiences with anything made by EPoX. So we'll see how this goes. ASUS' P6T looks pretty sweet and I have to say the Rampage II Extreme looked exciting from the preview video Kyle had on the front page the other day. One thing is for sure, EVGA will certainly be facing some healthy competition. This is of course always good for us.

That 8 pin power connector looks very poorly placed. I see what looks like 8-phase power, possibly 3-phase on the north bridge and they at least went with 3-phase power for the memory. Not bad. I'm skeptical. I never had good experiences with anything made by EPoX. So we'll see how this goes. ASUS' P6T looks pretty sweet and I have to say the Rampage II Extreme looked exciting from the preview video Kyle had on the front page the other day. One thing is for sure, EVGA will certainly be facing some healthy competition. This is of course always good for us.

yah 8-pin on top edge would be a lot nicer

anyway you can't beat EVGA customer service

The latest mobos are always going to be expensive and not totally worth the price-value relationship.
wink.gif

I looked at that and thought the 8-pin was in a horrible spot. Then I remembered that I will be putting my new system in this Lian-Li V-1000 I have sitting boxed up and thought it was pretty darn good placement :) Inverted motherboards FTW!

I am really curious to see more information about that extreme motherboard, hoping for Digital PWM relatively early on instead of right before a new platform is released.

Back