EVGA X58 Motherboard Confirmed - don't get set on other offerings just yet!

Price? I'm gonna get flamed, but I'll bet it's in the $449 range. I don't see the nVidia X58 boards to have much more than a niche market, especially when the P58s hit.

Core i7 drops on November 17th, and from what I've seen floating around the net, the NDA lift is going to be November 3rd.

Since EVGA is releasing an "Ultimate" edition of this board in December, I can only assume that this first X58 model will be released concurrently with Core i7 on November 17 - I mean, it only makes sense.

Core i7 drops on November 17th, and from what I've seen floating around the net, the NDA lift is going to be November 3rd.

Since EVGA is releasing an "Ultimate" edition of this board in December, I can only assume that this first X58 model will be released concurrently with Core i7 on November 17 - I mean, it only makes sense.
I fully except Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, and of course Intel boards to be available on the 17th.

But EVGA? Their first Intel motherboard? Very little press, and very little leaked until yesterday. I'm skeptical. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they are late to the game, even with their first basic non-ultimate board by 1-3 weeks.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

man that foxconn might be my pic.. wow its sexy!
It really is. I mean can you imagine a fully watercooled i7 machine with 2/3 GTX290's or 2 HD4870x2's. With that red/black theme you could make an insane machine. I am thinking about replacing all the blue led fans in my machine when I get the Foxconn and change them with red led fans. Then get a ridiculous Danger Den kit with red uv tubing. Yeah....:D

Edit: Get 6GB of some awesome DDR3 1866 from Corsair, Crucial, or G.Skill...yeah...:D....again.

This thing looks nice and all, but Foxconn has everyone beat this time with the Bloodrage X58. That shit is so damn badass I can't really imagine spending my money on anything else. I mean come on interchangable North Bridge cooling? Passive to Active to Water Cooled. Such a good idea. Clearly on looks alone I think the Foxconn is just nuts...take a look.

http://resources.vr-zone.com//uploads/6126/Bloodrage_left_S.jpg

http://resources.vr-zone.com//uploads/6126/waterblock1.jpg

The only thing I don't like about it is that it only has three memory slots. I don't like that one bit.

Gotta have 12GB upgradeability in future. I'm seeing some games already max systems out to 4GB. 6GB is only a small bump to last a little longer, but I'd want 12gig off in the distance when DDR3 prices drop. Cpu/mainboard lasts me 2-4 years with graphics card updates in between. But I'm sure it's fine for some people.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it only has three memory slots. I don't like that one bit.
Well I thought about that, but then I started to think about how I utilize the 8GB that is my system and I realized that 6GB would be plenty and with only 3 slots you can probably get higher memory overclocks with higher stability than with a board with more slots and full of memory. I do think though that the Foxconn will be the board of choice for all the tweakers and uber overclockers over at xtremesystems.org. Of course we won't know for sure for a while. In the meantime I can still drool over the awesome color scheme on the Bloodrage. That interchangable waterblock feature is too sexy to me. Makes the deal awfully sweet. Anyways I'm done hijacking this thread.

On topic. That eVGA board should be nice too. It is conservative and clean looking. Should be a great performer.

Gotta have 12GB upgradeability in future. I'm seeing some games already max systems out to 4GB. 6GB is only a small bump to last a little longer, but I'd want 12gig off in the distance when DDR3 prices drop. Cpu/mainboard lasts me 2-4 years with graphics card updates in between. But I'm sure it's fine for some people.
You'd be ok I am sure of it. You would just have to get three 4GB sticks of DDR3. I am sure there will be some out like this.

Well I thought about that, but then I started to think about how I utilize the 8GB that is my system and I realized that 6GB would be plenty and with only 3 slots you can probably get higher memory overclocks with higher stability than with a board with more slots and full of memory. I do think though that the Foxconn will be the board of choice for all the tweakers and uber overclockers over at xtremesystems.org. Of course we won't know for sure for a while. In the meantime I can still drool over the awesome color scheme on the Bloodrage. That interchangable waterblock feature is too sexy to me. Makes the deal awfully sweet. Anyways I'm done hijacking this thread.

On topic. That eVGA board should be nice too. It is conservative and clean looking. Should be a great performer.

Probably but I don't use every board I buy as a gaming system that will be overclocked. Sometimes I want more memory and damn the overclocks. 3 DIMM slots is a step backwards. I hated how most of the Athlon boards only had 3 DIMM slots during the Socket 754 days.

Probably but I don't use every board I buy as a gaming system that will be overclocked. Sometimes I want more memory and damn the overclocks. 3 DIMM slots is a step backwards. I hated how most of the Athlon boards only had 3 DIMM slots during the Socket 754 days.

Have more then one system?

After all the problem populating all 4 dimms and getting good speeds in some current generation chipsets this makes sense to me.

Have more then one system?

After all the problem populating all 4 dimms and getting good speeds in some current generation chipsets this makes sense to me.

Currently I have 7 systems. Generally getting 4 DIMMs to work isn't a problem if you are running the memory at JEDEC speeds using JEDEC timings or something fairly close. The problem is when you start overclocking or going for high memory clocks. Buying 4 sticks of DDR2 1200MHz RAM and expecting them to all work together at 1200MHz is just foolish given the current state of technology. However using 4 modules at 800MHz is usually not much of a problem.

Currently I have 7 systems. Generally getting 4 DIMMs to work isn't a problem if you are running the memory at JEDEC speeds using JEDEC timings or something fairly close. The problem is when you start overclocking or going for high memory clocks. Buying 4 sticks of DDR2 1200MHz RAM and expecting them to all work together at 1200MHz is just foolish given the current state of technology. However using 4 modules at 800MHz is usually not much of a problem.

Agreed, when overclocking they tend to only use 2 dimms when testing the speed out.

I won't just be gaming on the new gear although I do hope that it performs really well in games. I also do some video editing and I watch alot of HD content so I am feeling really good about making the jump to the i7. Basically these are the specs I am shooting for...

Antec 1200 | Antec Truepower Quattro 1000W | Intel Core i7 920 | Danger Den Watercooling | Foxconn Quantum Force Bloodrage x58 | 6GB Corsair DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX290 SLi or 2xHD4870x2 QuadFire Watercooled | Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LCD HDTV | Logitech Z-Cinema Speakers & Steelsound 5H v2 Headphones | Logitech G9 Mouse | Logitech G-15 v2 Keyboard | S&S Steelpad Mousepad | (2) 150GB Raptors Raid 0 | (10) eSATA Seagate 500GB (HiDef Content) 5.3TB Total HD Space | Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1

I won't just be gaming on the new gear although I do hope that it performs really well in games. I also do some video editing and I watch alot of HD content so I am feeling really good about making the jump to the i7. Basically these are the specs I am shooting for...

Antec 1200 | Antec Truepower Quattro 1000W | Intel Core i7 920 | Danger Den Watercooling | Foxconn Quantum Force Bloodrage x58 | 6GB Corsair DDR3 1866 | 2x GTX290 SLi or 2xHD4870x2 QuadFire Watercooled | Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LCD HDTV | Logitech Z-Cinema Speakers & Steelsound 5H v2 Headphones | Logitech G9 Mouse | Logitech G-15 v2 Keyboard | S&S Steelpad Mousepad | (2) 150GB Raptors Raid 0 | (10) eSATA Seagate 500GB (HiDef Content) 5.3TB Total HD Space | Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1

If you want video editing, why don't you just jump on the CUDA bandwagon?

That's what I meant by problem. The foxconn mobo probably only has three because they expect people to be OC'ing them.

For a gaming system, it seems to be a smart move.

Not sure if this has been asked already in the various X58 threads, but how come there has been a change from 7 PCI slots to 6? I was really hoping for a PCI-E x1 above the first PCI-E x16 slot to put a soundcard in and still retain use of Tri-SLI. All the boards I have seen thus far though only show 6 slots. Am I just missing something?

Not sure if this has been asked already in the various X58 threads, but how come there has been a change from 7 PCI slots to 6? I was really hoping for a PCI-E x1 above the first PCI-E x16 slot to put a soundcard in and still retain use of Tri-SLI. All the boards I have seen thus far though only show 6 slots. Am I just missing something?

Well I'm not sure all X58 boards will be that way but generally speaking if you'll look at most modern motherboards the manufacturers are having to pack way more onto ATX motherboards than there is room for. The ATX form factor needs to die. Quickly. It is long over due for replacement and BTX isn't the solution either.

Gigabyte & MSI have some X58 boards with 7 expansion slots:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10040&Itemid=37
&
http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=342107

Well I'm not sure all X58 boards will be that way but generally speaking if you'll look at most modern motherboards the manufacturers are having to pack way more onto ATX motherboards than there is room for. The ATX form factor needs to die. Quickly. It is long over due for replacement and BTX isn't the solution either.

I'm sure I read about motherboards with 10 expansion slots being developed? Foxconn was showing one ages ago - was it a one off thing for the trade shows or a real retail product that hasn't been released yet? If it is a real product, is it based on a new standard or just an extra long ATX?

Edit: found a picture:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5003&Itemid=37
more photos here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?49147

Seriously! I would love to see the next gen board come out with PCI-E then 3 empty slots, do that 3 times and then have 2-3 of "regular" expansion slots.
Oh how much quiter you could make cards if you had more room to cool them with! :D

Yes, I know how tall such a motherboard would be. I used a full tower case for years though. And I'm not saying EVERY motherboard should be that big, but I would like it to be avaliable.

I'm not sure how to state this question but, say you have 3 x 2GB of DDR3 1600MHz. Would you get more overclocking performance / stability out of a 6-channel DDR3 motherboard vs a 3-channel DDR3 motherboard, or would you get the same results on either config?

What I'm trying to ask is, will there be more MCH stability on a 6-channel motherboard when using only 3 sticks of RAM?

I'm not sure how to state this question but, say you have 3 x 2GB of DDR3 1600MHz. Would you get more overclocking performance / stability out of a 6-channel DDR3 motherboard vs a 3-channel DDR3 motherboard, or would you get the same results on either config?

What I'm trying to ask is, will there be more MCH stability on a 6-channel motherboard when using only 3 sticks of RAM?

It wouldn't be six channel at all. Six memory modules would still be triple channel. Each group of three slots is its' own triple channel. The two groups are in fact quite seperate. The same as it is today. If you install four memory modules in dual channel mode its' still dual channel. You just have two sets of dual channel memory which is quite different than quad-channel memory which is currently supported only on the server chipsets. As for the question concerning stability, I couldn't say at this point. I've got no experience with Core i7 at present.

only the rich toffee bastards are gonna buy a motherboard for that much money, problem is, if thats gonna be the only way to get sli on an intel board then nvidia arent gonna gain much at all, crossfire will remain better value with the p45 and x38/48 boards.

im gonna go p45/x48 with my new rig and crossfire until there are some sli capable intel boards for around 200 bux.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a bug-infested launch. No particular reason other than this is FOAK. (first of a kind) and in the engineering world I work in, FOAK leads to all kinds of nasty surprises.

Yes, but nearly all major brands have announced triple channel kits to be available over the next 3-12 weeks.

Yes, but nearly all major brands have announced triple channel kits to be available over the next 3-12 weeks.

so i'm assuming the new minimum of RAM for core i7 platforms will be like 3GB's instead of 2? are they making 512MB sticks too?

then again, i dont think i7 is supposed to be a "budget" platform...

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a bug-infested launch. No particular reason other than this is FOAK. (first of a kind) and in the engineering world I work in, FOAK leads to all kinds of nasty surprises.

Intel launched Core 2 Duo and most of their chipsets and general products over the last 20 years without any major issues. Yes there was the Pentium 60/66 fiasco but generally speaking Intel has always had solid product launches.I have no reason to think this will be different. Intel is experienced at making processors and semi-conductors in general. They've also been building memory controllers longer than AMD has. Just not in a single CPU. Still I think they'll pull this off nicely and the memory controller won't be as buggy or limited as AMD's IMC has been in the past.

I predict no major issues with the launch products.

Intel launched Core 2 Duo and most of their chipsets and general products over the last 20 years without any major issues. Yes there was the Pentium 60/66 fiasco but generally speaking Intel has always had solid product launches.I have no reason to think this will be different. Intel is experienced at making processors and semi-conductors in general. They've also been building memory controllers longer than AMD has. Just not in a single CPU. Still I think they'll pull this off nicely and the memory controller won't be as buggy or limited as AMD's IMC has been in the past.

I predict no major issues with the launch products.

can i have a link to the pentium 60/66 launch issues? i'm curious lolol

I think Dan D. is referring to the Pentium FDIV bug. Basically, the Pentium FDIV bug was a bug in Intel's original Pentium floating point unit. Certain floating point division operations performed with these processors would produce incorrect results. According to Intel, there were a few missing entries in the lookup table used by the divide operation algorithm.

OoooooooooooooooH Yummy -- no floppy controller connector!! about friggin time..................

can i have a link to the pentium 60/66 launch issues? i'm curious lolol

Actually the issues weren't discovered at launch.

I think Dan D. is referring to the Pentium FDIV bug. Basically, the Pentium FDIV bug was a bug in Intel's original Pentium floating point unit. Certain floating point division operations performed with these processors would produce incorrect results. According to Intel, there were a few missing entries in the lookup table used by the divide operation algorithm.

Exactly.

Back