EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply Review @ [H]

Holy crap HARDOCP just blended EVGA into a smooth delicious shake and downed it O_O Guess I will start thinking twice before I buy EVGA again... or should I not let this affect my understanding of their motherboards and cards?

Well I was reading over on the evga forums about this review it appears kyle got a 1st batch psu they also replaced the 24 pin power cable increased its thickness to fix the issue that they seen kyle and company seen even before they did there review.

The improved ATX harness only resolves issues with the 5VSB rail. My second unit came with the new harness. That's the one that arrived DOA with significant internal damage. When I fixed it, it worked just like the first one, only with better 5VSB voltage readings.

That's why you do like I did and put in a detecated 20a outlet for you system on it's own breaker :D Rocks to have a dad that's an electrictrician.
If I was in the US* and wanted to run a dedicated outlet for a bigass PSU I'd much rather have a 240V one than a 120V one for the following reasons.

1: lower current means less loss in the wiring
2: lower current means less chance of burnt out connectors
3: PSU efficiency is usually better at 240V

* I'm in the UK where we use 13A fused plugs on 32A 240V circuits as our normal domestic wiring system so we have to worry far less about these things.

Thanks for taking the time review the PSU. I think you'd have more of a chance of getting rid of the piece of garbage by selling it as a boat anchor on a sailing forum...

Well, my NEX1500 died last week.

Smelled like burning electronics and then the system shut off hard.

I have the system up and running on the old ST1500.

It is too bad that the review was not approached in a more professional and pragmatic manner, as I would have enjoyed seeing tests at 240 vac OC, and single rail configuration tested, in addition to the normal run of tests. I never realized that braided cables, single or otherwise were cool in the 90s (nor they existed for that matter), nor that they are not now, nor that screws and handles, folding team rankings, or the other personal issues with EVGA or the PSU, would aide me, et. al., in making a purchase decision.

It is too bad that the review was not approached in a more professional and pragmatic manner, as I would have enjoyed seeing tests at 240 vac OC, and single rail configuration tested, in addition to the normal run of tests.

No matter what it would have done after it failed, it still failed. (Not to mention you won't find a cased Staco VARIAC that does 0-240v from 115v with a 22A capacity). If you can't do the basics, the rest is useless. If your videocard is unstable at 2D and you can't ever get off the desk top to launch a game, does it matter how well it does in game?

As for single rail, it performs just like it did in multi-rail mode, I checked when it failed ;)

I never realized that braided cables, single or otherwise were cool in the 90s (nor they existed for that matter),nor that they are not now,

Well not everyone was in the PC scene in the 90's to remember the spaghetti monster mess of unsleeved cables, but thankfully EVGA has brought it back and worse for people to relive.

nor that screws and handles,

Correction, there were no screws.

folding team rankings

Just correcting the copy that EVGA put out.

or the other personal issues with EVGA

Other than putting out a bad product, those issues would be?

or the PSU

What is the point of a review if you don't address the issues of a product?

, would aide me, et. al., in making a purchase decision.

Well here is a "review" that might help you then.

Last edited:
So the thing fails at 120V so they are supposed to lower the bar for this supposedly top of the line unit?

When like .001% of North American users are going to drop a 240V circuit to their computer?

really?

Well I was reading over on the evga forums about this review it appears kyle got a 1st batch psu they also replaced the 24 pin power cable increased its thickness to fix the issue that they seen kyle and company seen even before they did there review.

I got exactly what EVGA was selling the day I purchased it.

How much for the cables? I want to cannibalize some of the connectors from the cables for the labeling on them. $5 plus shipping?

Different Opinion here http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=311 just as trusted in the community :confused:

OklahomaWolf @ JonnyGuru is just not as grumpy sounding as Paul. ;) If you think that was a good review though you need to read the site more. Anything below a 9.0 is not recommended by JG. 8.4 is a bad score. Considering the price of $450 and the unit gets spanked by Enermax built units, that are just as powerful selling for more than $100 less, how can anyone recommend this unit?

Anything below a 9.0 is not recommended by JG. 8.4 is a bad score.

8.4 is FAR from a "bad score". You obviously haven't read enough JGuru reviews. MANY extremely solid units that miss excellence by a small notch (let it be by price or by loud fan noise) get left at a 8.5 rating. It doesn't make those units badly scored at any logical rate.

Why would you give a PSU 100v? Crappy house power feed?

The low-voltage testing at the [H] is meant to simulate brownout conditions (i.e. during hot summertime conditions when the electric companies' transformers are being overworked due to a high number of heavy users of air conditioners and similar power-hungry appliances). And no home or business has anywhere close to 100 percent stable AC line voltage. PC Perspective only tests PSUs at exactly 115V, with absolute zero voltage tolerance (which, again, no home or business comes anywhere close to achieving even with the absolute best of voltage regulation). This alone makes the [H] PSU testing much more "realistic".

Last edited:
The low-voltage testing at the [H] is meant to simulate brownout conditions (i.e. during hot summertime conditions when the electric companies' transformers are being overworked due to a high number of heavy users of air conditioners and similar power-hungry appliances). And no home or business has anywhere close to 100 percent stable AC line voltage. PC Perspective only tests PSUs at exactly 115V, with absolute zero voltage tolerance (which, again, no home or business comes anywhere close to achieving even with the absolute best of voltage regulation). This alone makes the [H] PSU testing much more "realistic".

100v is a bit extreme, I've never seen it get anywhere near that bad. Not to mention I have a UPS. I just did some testing on my setup and pulling 1000watts, the voltage from the socket went from 121v to 119v.

100v is a bit extreme, I've never seen it get anywhere near that bad. Not to mention I have a UPS. I just did some testing on my setup and pulling 1000watts, the voltage from the socket went from 121v to 119v.

Most high quality PSUs are able to pass it though, for some reason the EVGA wasn't able to. As such, due to their testing methodology, they were forced to fail it. [H] has been doing the 100v test for a very long time.

Also, just because your wall voltage remains stable doesn't mean everyone else's will.

Edit: It also wasn't just the failure of the 100v, it was also the absurdly high price, and mediocre performance compared to the competition like the Lepa G1600 if I recall correctly.

Yes, the price is a bit steep but I bought one on sale for $400, so a bit easier to swallow. As for the voltage, if your 120v outlet is only outputting 100v, I think that is your problem and not the PSU's lol.

Yes, the price is a bit steep but I bought one on sale for $400, so a bit easier to swallow. As for the voltage, if your 120v outlet is only outputting 100v, I think that is your problem and not the PSU's lol.

But the fact that other PSUs can pass 100v perfectly fine while the EVGA cannot still stands.

The 120V outlet outputting only 100V is neither the user's nor the PSU's fault. It's the electric company's responsibility. What I meant by a "brownout" is that the electric utility company's grid is so overloaded (unlike your heavy power draw, which is only localized to your house and not to any next-door neighbors) that the voltage drops to as little as under 100V to every single place within the entire service area of that transformer grid (not just localized to one house like your situation). That's what I meant. Brownouts affect not only one's self, but also everyone else within the service area. The user (homeowner/property owner) has absolutely no control at all whatsoever over it.

Yes, I am aware of what a brownout is. My point is that it's silly to test a PSU transforming 1500 watts via a 100v brownout. From the area's I've lived in, brown outs are virtually non-existent. I have multiple power conditioners around the house on my equipment that displays the mains voltage, never seen an issue even in the summer. It's a rare occurrence that should get minor thought, not an entire review concluded upon it. The other stuff like the bar in the back and the long cables are trivial points.

Lastly, if you can afford something like the NEX1500 to run tons of high end equipment, you can afford a UPS.

Yes, I am aware of what a brownout is. My point is that it's silly to test a PSU transforming 1500 watts via a 100v brownout. From the area's I've lived in, brown outs are virtually non-existent. I have multiple power conditioners around the house on my equipment that displays the mains voltage, never seen an issue even in the summer. It's a rare occurrence that should get minor thought, not an entire review concluded upon it. The other stuff like the bar in the back and the long cables are trivial points.

Lastly, if you can afford something like the NEX1500 to run tons of high end equipment, you can afford a UPS.

At this point, you're just making excuses for a problem that it shouldn't have in the first place.

At this point, you're just making excuses for a problem that it shouldn't have in the first place.

Uh huh. And maybe we should test cars that take 93 octane gas and fill them with 80 octane and see which one can run the longest and base our buying decision on that. :rolleyes:

Uh huh. And maybe we should test cars that take 93 octane gas and fill them with 80 octane and see which one can run the longest and base our buying decision on that. :rolleyes:

No, it's more like buying a 93 octane car, and seeing if it can actually run on 87 should the need arise for whatever freak incident might occur.

Car analogies almost always fail.

Well, I think I figured out why my last unit failed. Evga in all its genius thought making the fan speed proportional to the total wattage was a good idea. Thats great if I have a fresh Antarctic air blowing through my room but if the ambient temp is over 65f the psu temp is going to creep up significantly.

The fan mode control in software doesn't work if the dipswitch 5 is active.
Even if you set the fan to performance mode the fan will max out at ~950 rpm and at high wattage will bake itself.

It was on sale lately on newegg, almost pulled the trigger, but then decided to go Lepa g1600. Thx to the reviews ( including @[H])

I got a kick out of the conclusion page comments. Any possibility that you guys will be doing another review? EVGA said they revised the PSU and I was just wondering if it was any better

I just took a look at a couple of the other options suggested, and looking at the Lepa G1600 reviews on Amazon, that one didn't seem to be all that great either. Like was posted before, I would have liked to see the unit set to single rail, and tested at 240v, regardless if .01% of the US population has it available to use. I do, so I'd like to know, and it don't think it would have been that difficult to run the tests again and let us know the results. It would have at least provided us with all the info and capabilities of the unit, good bad or otherwise.

I'd also like to have seen if possibly there was an issue with your unit, if you'd have RMA'ed it to see if the newer ones have had some 2.0 revisions. You could then also have reviewed their RMA process to let us know how well/horribly it went for you. Any chance you'd consider doing this if you still have it laying around? It's been out for a about a year now, chances are they have made some improvements to it, and your boat anchor may yet have a chance at being a decent PSU...?

Back