EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

i even asked zalman if it would fit the mobo, but not gotten a answer yet on the 9500. although its more of a overkill than i need. if the price stays low i might get one for the hell of it. of course im looking at a used one. also wondering if it will fit in my coolermaster easily since its so tall. guess ill start piecing it together tonight and see if i think it would fit. never was good at math or measuring things.

forgot to order artic silver so now i have all my parts with no thermal compound. as i ran out.

The 9500 fits the eVGA nForce 4 just fine... I can provide pics if need be. :)

rob2000 said:
id like to see them please

Here ya go :)

My rig consisting of various things, most importantly the eVGA nForce 4 SLI motherboard, Athlon 64 Winnie 3200+, Zalman CNPS9500LED, eVGA 7800GT PCI-E, and a sexy Zalman VF700 Copper.

(click the thumbs to see full size images)

Got this shot of my VF700 totally by accident, but it looks cool as hell. :D

Blue Falcon said:
Here ya go :)

My rig consisting of various things, most importantly the eVGA nForce 4 SLI motherboard, Athlon 64 Winnie 3200+, Zalman CNPS9500LED, eVGA 7800GT PCI-E, and a sexy Zalman VF700 Copper.

That looks sooooo cool!!

I know I asked this previously, but no one responded. Does anyone know if its safe to diable the fan on the bridge of this mobo, and just point a real (and more importantly, quiet) fan at it?

On the upper right of the board by my memory. There is a red light that is always on. Anyone else have this issue?

bandit390 said:
On the upper right of the board by my memory. There is a red light that is always on. Anyone else have this issue?

The red light isn't an issue, it indicates that the board is receiving power.

well i resolved the power issue (just needed to replace the power supply) but now the board isnt even POSTing as far as i can tell.. heres what im getting:

the fans, cpu fan and 7800gt fan are running, so i can assume they're receiving power
ive tried connecting the pc speaker both ways, getting no sound from it at all
hex code is FF, which is supposed to mean everything works fine
no response at all from the monitor/vid card

tried different jumper combinations, but nothing seems to be working

ug_rulz_all said:
well i resolved the power issue (just needed to replace the power supply) but now the board isnt even POSTing as far as i can tell.. heres what im getting:

the fans, cpu fan and 7800gt fan are running, so i can assume they're receiving power

Does it cycle through the codes? Or does it just stay at FF.

you are correct FF means everything is working fine. but if it doesn't cycle through the codes b4 going to FF, that also means that the bios chip is fucked.

Are you sure everything from teh power supply is connected? Did you attach the 4 pin P4 looking one? I didn't do that at first and it just stayed at FF.

marley1 said:
Does it cycle through the codes? Or does it just stay at FF.

you are correct FF means everything is working fine. but if it doesn't cycle through the codes b4 going to FF, that also means that the bios chip is fucked.

Are you sure everything from teh power supply is connected? Did you attach the 4 pin P4 looking one? I didn't do that at first and it just stayed at FF.
i would assume any cycling would be done within a few seconds at most, so im convinced that its just locked at FF.

im gonna lean on the side of the bios. connecting the 4-pin P4 connector actually makes things worse; i just get a little 'fizzing' sound when i start up and nothing else at all. then again, it is an amd chip... ive even tried alternating between the 20 and 24 pin atx configurations (and combining them with whether or not the P4 is connected), no luck there

the P4 connector is the 2x2 yellow/black one, right?

ug_rulz_all said:

In the days of AGP land when that happened, I would often take out the video card, boot the system up, and then turn it back off and reinsert the video card. Now boot it up again, and hopefully you'll receive a picture.

I have never figured out why it does that. Let me know if that works.

ug_rulz_all said:

If you have one, put in a regular PCI video card; on some bioses they (for some inexplicable reason) get stuck looking for a PCI video card in the bios, and won't cycle to PCIe or AGP to search for a signal.

i started putting my system together but did not finish yet. i misplaced a hard drive i bought last year,,,, so if i cant find it im off to buy a new one. anyway next to the little 4x pcie slot , there is a 4 pin connector?

my question is it to supply power for fans and such? or is it to plug in a 4 pin molex from the power supply. i did not see it labeled in the manual as to what it was for. thanks in advance.

rob2000 said:
i started putting my system together but did not finish yet. i misplaced a hard drive i bought last year,,,, so if i cant find it im off to buy a new one. anyway next to the little 4x pcie slot , there is a 4 pin connector?

my question is it to supply power for fans and such? or is it to plug in a 4 pin molex from the power supply. i did not see it labeled in the manual as to what it was for. thanks in advance.
That molex plug you're referring to is only if you have two video cards to run in SLI as it adds stability. If have two, plug it in...if not, just leave it unplugged.

The only two plugs you should have connected are the 24-pin motherboard connector and the 12V 4-pin ATX plug. Enjoy your new board!

Im sure the answer is already in this thread, but i dont have time to read all 49 pages lol....

does the XP90 mount to this board without any problems now?

Are temp readings more accurate than they were when this thread was started?

How does this board do for overclocking with the newer bios revisions?

PCBliss said:
Im sure the answer is already in this thread, but i dont have time to read all 49 pages lol....

does the XP90 mount to this board without any problems now?

Are temp readings more accurate than they were when this thread was started?

How does this board do for overclocking with the newer bios revisions?

Yes to the XP 90

As for the temps I am not sure but I find mine to be fairly accurate.

hey pc u use moded k8 back plate? and do u need ecc ram with opterton , and finally whats the benifit of the opterton,other than ocing does it provide better memory bandwith or system bandwith?

I'm thinking of running this board with an Opty 165. I need a HTT of 289 and a VCore of 1.4V to get it to work. Is this board capable? Or should I look somewhere else? Just wondering because I can get a great deal on it and I need an SLI board to go along with my 2405 :).

DamienThorn said:
The red light isn't an issue, it indicates that the board is receiving power.

Thanks! I was just setting up a machine for a friend tonight and was wondering if something was going wrong.

i just got my system up and running, i had misplaced a hard drive and until i get paid had to backup and format a wee 20 gig i had. wanted to make sure everything was working fine.

3dmark05 crashed the first launch but, but second launch ran fine and scored 7266 3dmarks

with a +3800 x2 , 1 gig corsair xms, and the evga combo of course.

kirbyrj said:
I'm thinking of running this board with an Opty 165. I need a HTT of 289 and a VCore of 1.4V to get it to work. Is this board capable? Or should I look somewhere else? Just wondering because I can get a great deal on it and I need an SLI board to go along with my 2405 :).

The board IS capable of high HTT, but only with the right RAM. VCore is not a problem.

Just got my combo rev2.3 board, 518 card is that good i mean latter revision board or 518 better than 516?

Just ordered a 1 gig stick of Kingston Value DDR333 from Best Buy with giftcards from Xmas. What are the chances (if any) of getting it to DDR400 speeds with this board?

Ok I took the plunge 2 weeks ago and got this motherboard with the 7800GT combo and it has worked like a charm. I ordered myself a 2nd 7800GT I was shipped the 7800GT CO version instead small bonus. When I try setting up SLI I get no video when I boot into windows just a black screen. My computer does boot up cause I can hear the windows chime when I boot and I can ue the keyboard shortcuts to restart and turn off my pc but alas no video. I have run my pc with both the 7800GT and 7800GT CO by themselves but SLI is always a no go no matter which card I put into the "Master" position, I am running the nvidia 81.98 drivers. I have a 550Watt SLI certified powersupply and my system has run flawlessly before this fiasco started. Yes the SLI bridge is connected, yes the SLI molex is plugged in and yes my monitor is hooked uo to the lower of the 2 video cards. I am running off of no sleep so I might have missed something but from what I can tell it should work.

Switch around which DVI ports you are using. Eventually you'll find the one that works, then the second card will have its drivers loaded, and you MAY have to start switching ports again. It was odd how it did that, but I have to use a different port on my DFI than on my eVGA board. Both work great, just differently.

rob2000 said:
i just got my system up and running, i had misplaced a hard drive and until i get paid had to backup and format a wee 20 gig i had. wanted to make sure everything was working fine.

3dmark05 crashed the first launch but, but second launch ran fine and scored 7266 3dmarks

with a +3800 x2 , 1 gig corsair xms, and the evga combo of course.

sounds about right.

i got about ~7200 with my setup in sig. the board is dead stable as long as you get the ram.

PCBliss said:
Theres always ratios right?

Yes and no. The ratios are there, but depending on the RAM used the board will not post past a certain HTT, usually in th 270 range.

MrSteel74 said:
I've used all 4 DVI ports and nothing happens.

i was under the impression that both sli cards had to be identical , would underclocking the oc one to the same speed of the stock gt work? not used sli yet myself so maybe im wrong

unless maybe your power supply is being overworked.

maybe try unplugging the cd-roms and non booting hard drives to see if you get picture.

the cards used to have to have the same bios and everything to work in SLI, now they just have to be the same model (I.E. two 7800GTs)

eVGA customer service is good. My chipset fan came broken, and I called up eVGA and they said they'd ship it to me. It came when they said it would (2 weeks), and though that seems a bit slow at least they told me the real deal. Installed the fan and now everything works properly.

Just figured I'd give my mini review :D

Hi, I just got my system together and its looking good, just had trouble getting my OCZ gold to boot but Ill fix that later I guess.

My main issue is temps, what are you guys using to see temps in windows ? nTune doesnt seem to work, Ive got the stock bios, dont really remember but its like september or august 05 version.

Is there a GOOD bios out there?

Ive read thru like 30 pages and cant seem to find the info I need. :p

Back