EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

I am getting one of these boards in trade for MSI in my sig. Would I be able to get a higher stable overclock than what I have now on my MSI K8N Neo4-F board. Also what size of power supply is recomended for SLI anyway. This is going to be my first SLI encounter so I might be needing help. I am going to use all my current hardware on this board so let me know what might be a problem if any. Thanks.

sinewave said:
yo you guys having 1t instability issues mail wade your memory type, specs, and manufacturer part number. he wants to build a list of people having the issue cause he only has 4 reports logged in @ evga

I know that headless and me posted yesterday. :)

headless said:
Wee, 6pm, time to go home
i'll let you know how the bios has done for me soon :)

Thanks man! Sorry if I sound impatient. I'm just bored to death going through this hurricane in Miami! :D

OK, i just flashed it... and it had no effect. Still booted @ 2000mhz, stock timings.
It's still dated 07/07 too & E03. WTF.

Well, since i was already messing with the bios for that flash that didn't seem to help, i got to thinking...what could i do to get my RAM higher than 180mhz, at nice low 2-2-2-5-1T timings. So i dropped the multiplier down to 9x and raised FSB up to 305mhz. Same multiplier on the RAM as before is now giving me 196mhz @ those timings -- very close to the stock 200 :) I'm @ 2745mhz on the CPU @ 305*9...so if this proves to be stable i'll be good at the same speed but higher RAM :)

my ram's sweet spot is 196mhz so i followed suit of headless and clocked my box accordingly resulting in 2753mhz.

CPU - 9x @1.5v, FSB = 306, HT = 3x
Memory = 2-3-2-6 1T @ 196mhz dual channel 1gb @2.75v

Bandwidth (mb/sec):
L1 = 22568
L2 = 5607
Mem = 2688

idle @ ~39-40, load @ ~56, nb @ 42 load (need burn in and im assuming that the evga is ~9 off)

priming now :)

*update* rounding errors, went to up the vcore but now i cant get any clockspeed to stick after reboot. but until now they did.... wtf

suggestions?

*update* ok so nothing stuck regardless of vcore until i stepped back down to 295fsb x9 for 2661mhz and 190 on my ram w/1.5vcore. realized glockgen was causing a reboot due to the large change in speed applied in one click, doi.

priming again...

..appears stable at 2661 but its gonna prime all night baby.

curious whether i could acieve a higher clock stabily if i used a 10x multi and less fsb...

I've been playing with my board tonight also. Got errors @ 2750,2730...i was dropping it down 1mhz FSB @ a time and it took 40sec to error first time, 2:40 second time, 6 minutes third time... anyway, i was suspicious because i was prime stable for 15+ hours @ 2734 or something close to that @ 10x multi....273FSB w/ my RAM @ 180mhz 2-2-2-5-1T. The difference now was that my RAM was @ a higher clock; 196mhz for 2738mhz for example...and my HT link speed was still set to 600, causing 900mhz link speed when o/ced to 300mhz FSB. So i dropped the HT link to 400mhz and upped my CPU's voltage (since the memory controller is on cpu, i figure it could use it) so it's now getting 1.54v (previously 1.52).

End result, i'm priming @ 2738, 304FSB, memory is @ 195mhz @ 2-2-2-5-1T, and it's been going about 10mins now. We'll see if my HT link change, and voltage boost help any. If not, i'm going to play around with my old 10x/273 setup and see if the extra voltage will let me take that up a bit higher... i'd be ecstatic if i got her to 2800 ;)

BTW, my board won't remember the HTT setting across reboots either. I set the stuff in bios and it remembers voltage, and multiplier/divider settings, but it won't set the HTT... i use clockgen after the fact.

Well, the higher FSB was simply not stable, even when i backed it down to 300fsb -- 2700mhz which i know the CPU is capable of... I was getting errors after about 15mins of occt w/ prime95. Was this the RAM flaking out? I don't think so; this RAM performed fine in my A8V @ around 220mhz 2-2-2-5-1T. Anyway, i upped the multiplier back to the original 10X and ran OCCT and prime95 on her at the same time overnight, 8 hours stable at 273FSB, 180 or so memory @ 2-2-2-5-1T. Since i had upped the voltage to 1.54 and lowered HTT to 400 i decided to see if she could hit 2800mhz this morning. I've got her set to 2792 right now and am running prime95 and OCCT...almost an hour so far. The last time i tried this she errored out of prime95 in < 30mins so... If she lasts out the day i'll put her up to 280fsb/2800 and start benching. Weeee.

I've just read about the backplate issues over at evga.com. This is disappointing because I've ordered an XP-90c and apparently there is no easy way to mount it and I have no sort of tools for this type of situation. Has anyone figured out a way to mount the XP-90 to this board without having an electronic engineering degree or access to multiple expencive power tools :rolleyes:

There has to be some kind of easy and clean solution.

I mounted my XP-120 to it without issue; i just went up to lowes and bought some 6-32 or some such, small bolts + nuts, and some washers. The size washer i got fit inside the reinforced area around the bolt holes perfectly... i used these bolts and nuts to bolt on the XP-120 holddown plate, then mounted the XP-120 as normal, without a backplate. No problem. The only issue i ran into was that i couldn't find bolts that were the exact right length to fit without hitting the motherboard mounting tray, so i bought some that were slightly long, marked them w/ a sharpie, then cut them to the right length with my dremel (you could use a cheap hacksaw to cut the bolt too, if you don't have a dremel). It's really not too hard. The only thing i'd be worried about is the XP-120C's weight and the distribution on the mobo from those bolts. Does the 90c weigh more than the 120?

The XP-120 weighs in at 370g while the XP-90c weighs in at 690g. Ouch. You gotta be careful with that much weight. I believe the standard supported weight for heatsinks on the AMD platform is <450g. My Zalman CNSP7000-AlCu weighs 438g.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it weighs more. sigh, I'm not really in a good area where I have access to nuts and bolts or even a cheap hacksaw. Maybe if enough people press evga about the issue they will offer a new backplate? Until then I guess I'll have to use the retail fan :(

edit:^^^ Yeah this thing is heavy which is why I'd need a clean solution to mount it and not mess around with things I'm not familiar with.

Headless I read your post over at EVGA.com.Ccould give me the exact bolts and nuts I would need and the measurement for the bolts to cut. I could probably goto a hardware shop and ask them if they could cut them for me. I would appreciate this big time. :D

Also, does anyone think the weight of the xp-90c would be an issue with a solution like this? I've got a thermaltake volcano 12 that weighs 732 gms on top of my 2500 mobile and it hasn't caused any issue for me, in fact I've been so pleased with it it's the reason I went with the xp-90c. I don't have the parts yet and I am unfamiliar with A64s so I'm worried now it could be an issue.

So how are thos BIOS's working out Jetway/EVGA? Mine is on the way :p. On a side note, how many RAM chips does that 7800GT have inder that heatsink?? Need to get some ramsinks on there once I remove the stock HS/Fan to install the waterblock and need to know how many to pick up. ;p

Amusingly, sisoft sandra identifies my board as a jetway. I'm about | | this close to just flashing this with the jetway bios. It looks like evga just sent me the same BIOS i already had :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure about the bolt lengths, but you will get a pair of bolts with the heatsink that would do fine. I went to lowes to get some M3 NUTS for the m3 bolts i was provided with the heatsink...unfortunately, lowes didn't carry any m3 sized nuts. So, i grabbed some metric equivalents that were 'close' in size and were slightly long. You could take in the bolts that come with your heatsink for an example :)

Looks like the boost from 1.52 to 1.54 on cpu has gotten me prime stable @ 2770 (277*10). It's been going about 3 hours now. RAM is @ 184mhz 2-2-2-5-1T. Sandra says 5700MB bandwidth. Insta fails prime @ 2800 though (186mhz ram). I think i may try 1.6v and see if it can swing 2800.

headless said:
Amusingly, sisoft sandra identifies my board as a jetway. I'm about | | this close to just flashing this with the jetway bios. It looks like evga just sent me the same BIOS i already had :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure about the bolt lengths, but you will get a pair of bolts with the heatsink that would do fine. I went to lowes to get some M3 NUTS for the m3 bolts i was provided with the heatsink...unfortunately, lowes didn't carry any m3 sized nuts. So, i grabbed some metric equivalents that were 'close' in size and were slightly long. You could take in the bolts that come with your heatsink for an example :)

Looks like the boost from 1.52 to 1.54 on cpu has gotten me prime stable @ 2770 (277*10). It's been going about 3 hours now. RAM is @ 184mhz 2-2-2-5-1T. Sandra says 5700MB bandwidth. Insta fails prime @ 2800 though (186mhz ram). I think i may try 1.6v and see if it can swing 2800.

Great news, too bad about the evga BIOS though. I'll prolly flash to the Jetway BIOS right off. That 2770 OC on air is looking very encouraging to me. Still have to decide whether I want to get a 3200 or 3500. Price is pretty close.

On a side note... can anyone tell me how many RAM chips are under that HS on the 7800 GT?? Need to buy ramsinks today. TIA

Scoot

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the bolts that came with it would work. I'm not sure what the selection is like at lowes but the local hardware shop doesn't really carry all that much. If I were to get the metric equivilent bolts + nuts can I just cut them down to the same length as the ones that came with the HS or should they be a bit longer? If so do you have an estimate of how much longer they should be? I really appreciate the input.

From what i saw, they could be the same length as the ones that came with it and it would be fine. Maybe 1mm, 2mm longer max.

Just got confirmation that that BIOS is nothing but the same stock BIOS already on the boards. Nothing new in it; don't bother to flash to it.

headless said:
Just got confirmation that that BIOS is nothing but the same stock BIOS already on the boards. Nothing new in it; don't bother to flash to it.

Jetway BIOS is looking better by the minute. Probably have all my components by early next week. ;p

This mobo past 250 Ram Speed - 1:1 - will not save when you reboot. Ive tried Mushkin XP4000 TCCD and GSKILL pc4400 LE and it posts and reads in the bios that its running what you set it too but when windows or memtest loads its back to stock speeds.

And arent the dividers a bit fucked? shouldnt 300x9 133 divider = 200 ram speed?

Nettwerk said:
This mobo past 250 Ram Speed - 1:1 - will not save when you reboot. Ive tried Mushkin XP4000 TCCD and GSKILL pc4400 LE and it posts and reads in the bios that its running what you set it too but when windows or memtest loads its back to stock speeds.

And arent the dividers a bit fucked? shouldnt 300x9 133 divider = 200 ram speed?

Is that using the Jetway BIOS too?? kinda sux to have nice speedy RAM if your MOBO is limited to 250. That said I had issues at first with my MSI MOBO too before a BIOS update.

Interesting; the Jetway BIOS didn't fix the 'forgetting FSB settings' problem? FWIW it doesnt matter if the RAM is @ 1:1 or not.. it just forgets ;)

My box has been running OCCT + Prime95 for the last 5 hours stable @ 2770. That'll do. I may try 1.6v and go for 2800 but i doubt it; 2770 is still blazing fuckin fast...it's cpu #'s are so close to the FX-57 that you can't even see the bar height difference. It's like 5 cpu points difference. LOL Now if only i didnt have to use clockgen every boot...

headless said:
Interesting; the Jetway BIOS didn't fix the 'forgetting FSB settings' problem? FWIW it doesnt matter if the RAM is @ 1:1 or not.. it just forgets ;)

My box has been running OCCT + Prime95 for the last 5 hours stable @ 2770. That'll do. I may try 1.6v and go for 2800 but i doubt it; 2770 is still blazing fuckin fast...it's cpu #'s are so close to the FX-57 that you can't even see the bar height difference. It's like 5 cpu points difference. LOL Now if only i didnt have to use clockgen every boot...

I'm going to be less than happy if I need to fire up clockgen every time I boot. Does the jetway board have the same issues?/ Need to go troll their forums...

Evil Scooter said:
I'm going to be less than happy if I need to fire up clockgen every time I boot. Does the jetway board have the same issues?/ Need to go troll their forums...

What forums? lol if they did have them it would be in asian anyhow :/

Nettwerk said:
What forums? lol if they did have them it would be in asian anyhow :/

Does not look like they have one, site is rather sparse. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if my MOBO has teh same issues.....

I think im gona run my gskill 4400 at 2-2-2-5 300x9 with 133 divider until a bios fix for high htt ram speed fix.. It might be a long wait :(

Just got my MOBO and GT in the mail today. CPU from the Egg due early next week. Comon EVGA, release another BIOS already ;p

I read the whole thread and this is my experience so far:
I got the EVGA deal with 7800GT+MOBO and an additional 7800GT from Newegg before the promotion for SLI.
I have an AMD64 X2 4200+ stock cooled running at 227X11=2500MHz, bank interleaved disabled, 1.55V, 4x512MB GEIL PC4000 Ultra Platinum @2.5/4/4/7 anything more aggressive or higher FSB no good. 2 nights of adjustments to get it stable and almost getting an RMA for the motherboard.

The good parts: nice mobo layout, many tweaks in bios, Jetway manufacturer identical with 939GT4-SLI, one of the highest 3dmark05 records on the market with sli 7800gtx
The bad side: SLI enabled, logon to desktop takes 2 minutes, image flickering, not much gain in performance so far on my system,new bios update required

unstrain said:
2 nights of adjustments to get it stable and almost getting an RMA for the motherboard.

I cant get UTT any higher than 200 and TCCD memory wont run anything but stock. TCCD seems to not like this board at all really. I hope it can be fixed with a bios update. RMAing wont do you anygood there :/

Tried 6 sets of memory and UTT is the best of them all since its the only stuff that makes the motherboard save its settings when you reboot..

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/4571/memtested9op.jpg

I flashed mine with the new eVGA bios but the date is still 7/7/05 so I'm not sure it really worked. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mario64

Wow, I feel like an idiot.

I thought I was soooo smart when I bought the additional back-plate offered at sidewindercomputers ( http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/at64ba.html ) to fit my XP-90 and EVGA SLI mobo. I was so excited that it fit and worked out that I didn't even notice the tiny resistor on the back of the board that was outside of the area that was cut out. I just thought they were areas with solder.

Well, I threw it in there, mounted the XP-90 and now I'm completely paranoid. My comp runs flawlessly, but I can't help thinking about that poor resistor/capacitor being all squished up under there. Any thoughts on this? Should I get rid of the back plate and find another solution?

Also, I'm new to OC'ing the A64 (had an overclocked XP last time). I've read ALL... and I do mean ALL... the FAQ and guides for overclocking and I think I kinda understand. I'm not looking to blow it out of the water like you guys. I just want my 3000+ Venice around 2.2-2.4 GHz. I started to mess around and found that my 3dMark05 score was essentially unchanged from 1.980 GHz to 2.160 GHz (~7300). Does this mean that my score is now limited by my GPU rather than my CPU?

Here's my current setup up... Prime95 >6 hours.

Venice 3000+, E6 : Memory 200Mhz, HTT 240, Mult x9 = 2160MHz
53C under load, 41C idle (via NVIDA myguard)
Corsair Value Ram 2x512MB (2.5-3-3-6 at 1T)
XP-90, Artic Silver 5, Panaflo High
EVGA SLI Mobo
EVGA 7800GT
Raptor 74GB
Barracuda 7200.7 160GB
Antec TPII-550W
Audigy 2 ZS
Thermaltake Tsunami Case

Any quick easy suggestions to get closer to 2.4MHz? I don't want to mess w/ memory timings and what not. Sorry for the long post and multiple questions. :p

I guess thats why mine is sorta crooked looking when installed. But i've been giving this board hell for 2 days now and I dont think its gonna break anything heh

BOOMboom-GIRL said:
Wow, I feel like an idiot.

I thought I was soooo smart when I bought the additional back-plate offered at sidewindercomputers ( http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/at64ba.html ) to fit my XP-90 and EVGA SLI mobo. I was so excited that it fit and worked out that I didn't even notice the tiny resistor on the back of the board that was outside of the area that was cut out. I just thought they were areas with solder.

Well, I threw it in there, mounted the XP-90 and now I'm completely paranoid. My comp runs flawlessly, but I can't help thinking about that poor resistor/capacitor being all squished up under there. Any thoughts on this? Should I get rid of the back plate and find another solution?

Also, I'm new to OC'ing the A64 (had an overclocked XP last time). I've read ALL... and I do mean ALL... the FAQ and guides for overclocking and I think I kinda understand. I'm not looking to blow it out of the water like you guys. I just want my 3000+ Venice around 2.2-2.4 GHz. I started to mess around and found that my 3dMark05 score was essentially unchanged from 1.980 GHz to 2.160 GHz (~7300). Does this mean that my score is now limited by my GPU rather than my CPU?

Here's my current setup up... Prime95 >6 hours.

Venice 3000+, E6 : Memory 200Mhz, HTT 240, Mult x9 = 2160MHz
53C under load, 41C idle (via NVIDA myguard)
Corsair Value Ram 2x512MB (2.5-3-3-6 at 1T)
XP-90, Artic Silver 5, Panaflo High
EVGA SLI Mobo
EVGA 7800GT
Raptor 74GB
Barracuda 7200.7 160GB
Antec TPII-550W
Audigy 2 ZS
Thermaltake Tsunami Case

Any quick easy suggestions to get closer to 2.4MHz? I don't want to mess w/ memory timings and what not. Sorry for the long post and multiple questions. :p

What kind of temps are you getting with the XP-90 installed using that generic backplate?

Back