EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

No offense but those temps are pretty high with an XP-90. It should be closer to 34c idle 45c load especially with such a modest overclock. I wonder if using a stock HS/F and using the normal backplate would be cooler than jerryrigging a backplate not meant for this motherboard and using a cooler like the XP-90 :( You're the second person I've seen that has idle temps close to 40c using a non standard motherboard bracket and XP-90.

haha how are you supposed to monitor temps when overclocking than? What a crappy (free) board. Oh well, I guess it will work until they either get a better bios or until I can afford a good SLI board.

Hey boomboom. Drop your ram divider way down so it's running lower, and up your FSB to around 270mhz. Make sure the ram stays under 200mhz and you should be able to keep your timings @ 1T. Also remember to drop your HTT link from the 1000mhz to perhaps 600mhz... I was able to run my RAM @ almost 300mhz FSB @ 190mhz or so at 1T...more than that and i was getting prime95 errors.

I'm not worried about the temps; they are generally 9c or so off from what we've all gathered... temps don't bother me anyway, as long as they are not WAY high (my temps have never registered near 75c for example, even though they register way high...), it's the stability that matters.

BOOMboom-GIRL said:
You know, I just realized... the cut-out areas on the mounting plate looks very similar to the shape/size of the OEM yellow back plate. Take a look below w/ the pic.

http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7701

Are you guys sure the Sidewinder back-plate covers up a resistor? The more I think about it, I remember the backplate going on there flat, without any difficulities. :confused:

their backplate is recessed on the side you cant see and allows room. the metal ones (for alpha sinks, and some others as well as watercooling setups) require the plate to be flush. a jigsaw will solve your problem.

http://www.madshrimps.be/printhow.php?howtoID=58also check out madshrips guide for a64 oc'ing. you gotta use a mem divier, on our bios at 200fsb the mem dividers are 133/166/200 etc, when you punch in a new fsb they adjust to your number. but its still the same divider. just copy headless's setup. i found this board to be stable up to 300mhz fsb or htt as clockgen calls it.

Weee. Gamed all weekend and got some serious testing in @ 2770 (277*10 memory @ 184mhz...) and decided today to bump voltage up slightly to see if i can stretch her to 2.8ghz even, (280*10 ram @ 186mhz) (That was my original goal when i purchased this new cpu/mobo/vid card combination.)...

She's priming now and running OCCT, been going for 30mins. the pcGUARD software is showing 1.57v on the cpu (and bios says the same). Temps are up 2-3degrees from the voltage boost -- showing 67-69 in windows, lol

headless said:
Weee. Gamed all weekend and got some serious testing in @ 2770 (277*10 memory @ 184mhz...) and decided today to bump voltage up slightly to see if i can stretch her to 2.8ghz even, (280*10 ram @ 186mhz) (That was my original goal when i purchased this new cpu/mobo/vid card combination.)...

She's priming now and running OCCT, been going for 30mins. the pcGUARD software is showing 1.57v on the cpu (and bios says the same). Temps are up 2-3degrees from the voltage boost -- showing 67-69 in windows, lol

Nice OC!! Are you still having to use clockgen every time you boot to get the MHz back, or is your BIOS holding settings now??

Oh the humanity, I have my SLI MB, my 7800GTX, my new power supply....but the XP90 doesnt get here till tomorrow :/ Its going to be a long night..........but anyways, I will running stock speeds so I am assuming this MB should be rock stable with how much you guys are overclocking on it.

Evil Scooter said:
Nice OC!! Are you still having to use clockgen every time you boot to get the MHz back, or is your BIOS holding settings now??

Yeah, not stable at 2800 :( Dammit!
I really am thinking i may just go to 1.6v and see if she's stable @ 2800 there.

She lasted through 30mins of OCCT and then the prime95 errored @ 38mins in (8mins after occt pronounced her stable @ 2800)...

The bios isn't saving my HTT settings, no :( It saves voltage adjustments, ram divider setting, HTT link speed, cpu multiplier...everything except for the cpu HTT. I set it every boot. Which isn't horrible since i only boot once every week or so normally and i've got it set to my startup folder. but still. Irritating since it's rock solid @ 2770 and i think i can get her a bit higher....yet i have to fuck around with clockgen every boot

oh well, it was free. I'm gloriously happy with it for what i paid for it. Nothing. Rock on.

grendelrt said:
Oh the humanity, I have my SLI MB, my 7800GTX, my new power supply....but the XP90 doesnt get here till tomorrow :/ Its going to be a long night..........but anyways, I will running stock speeds so I am assuming this MB should be rock stable with how much you guys are overclocking on it.

LOL, that's ROUGH man. I hate it when i have to wait for things :(
I think it'll be rock solid @ stock speeds (it is at much higher than stock in some areas...). I'd be a bit curious as to how it'll handle your 1.5gb of corsair memory. Is that 3 512's?

grendelrt said:

My 7800GTX SLI Board, 3500+ and XP-90c should all arrive this week however I need to wait 5-7 days on a $4 backplate before I can set everything up :(

You know that the backplate mount that comes with the board won't work with the XP-90 right?

peacetilence said:
My 7800GTX SLI Board, 3500+ and XP-90c should all arrive this week however I need to wait 5-7 days on a $4 backplate before I can set everything up :(

You know that the backplate mount that comes with the board won't work with the XP-90 right?

Im using it without issues.

Nettwerk said:
I guess thats why mine is sorta crooked looking when installed. But i've been giving this board hell for 2 days now and I dont think its gonna break anything heh

Are you using that generic A64 mounting plate or the plastic one that came with the board? Thermalright told me to use one of these.
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2698&cat=0&page=3

It's probably not as big of a deal as I've made it out to be. I just want everything to go smoothly with my new PC.

peacetilence said:

Thats why man invented the Dremel :eek:

peacetilence said:
Are you using that generic A64 mounting plate or the plastic one that came with the board? Thermalright told me to use one of these.
http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2698&cat=0&page=3

It's probably not as big of a deal as I've made it out to be. I just want everything to go smoothly with my new PC.

Now im pretty sure this came with my xp-90 as it was stashed away in a drawer with thermalright thermal paste and I think its the mount for a P4 but im using it for a waterblock:

http://home.houston.rr.com/nettwerk/Pictures/mount.JPG

Its a little bent because of the resistor and I didnt even know about it till you guys said something about it lol. Its screwed on there pretty tight and it works fine so im not gonna mess with it since its in the case already.

Nettwerk said:
Now im pretty sure this came with my xp-90 as it was stashed away in a drawer with thermalright thermal paste and I think its the mount for a P4 but im using it for a waterblock:

http://home.houston.rr.com/nettwerk/Pictures/mount.JPG

Its a little bent because of the resistor and I didnt even know about it till you guys said something about it lol. Its screwed on there pretty tight and it works fine so im not gonna mess with it since its in the case already.

thats not good bro.. like lol, 1) crushable resistor, 2) heatsink not making a clean connection with the chips heat spreader. at least to me thats worth a remount and some dremel/jigsaw time. meijers sold me a jigsaw for 13 dollars that fixed my shit in a jiffy. i dunno what could have bent because the backplate is steel, either way its not flush whichwill cause heating issues on top of the misalignment.

-m

That plate comes with the Zalman 7000. I recognized it and found mine in a box. That plate may make my h2o-block mount easier on my DFI, or on the eVGA when it gets here. Thanks for the reminder.

two things, for all you guys buying brackets, both those listed are the same oem spec. the resister in question sticks out beyond that square cut into the center about a good 2/3 of a centimeter. both those brackets will need to be flush to the back of the motherboard so expect to make a small mod.

secondly, which dimm sockets are you guys using? i put together a dfi board for a friend who mentioned better performance using slots 2 + 4 (closer to the cpu). would this apply to our board and what would improve if anything?

sinewave said:
two things, for all you guys buying brackets, both those listed are the same oem spec. the resister in question sticks out beyond that square cut into the center about a good 2/3 of a centimeter. both those brackets will need to be flush to the back of the motherboard so expect to make a small mod.

secondly, which dimm sockets are you guys using? i put together a dfi board for a friend who mentioned better performance using slots 2 + 4 (closer to the cpu). would this apply to our board and what would improve if anything?

I havent installed mine, but make sure you look at the slot numbers on the motherboard, since they are labeled incorrectly in the manual.

I'm using 1+3 because my xp-120 blocks slot4. ;) I doubt there's much if any performance diff between 2+4 and 1+3...would be nice to know if it had any effect on the 1t problems though..

i dont think it would improve much, i was just curious. please take a look at these numbers though. my memory bandwidth in memtest is irking me.

my ram is rated for ddr400 -> mushkin dual channel @ 2-3-2-6 1t 2.75v

I have it running @ 190mhz on the ram with a cpu/14 divider so i get 9x295=2666mhz
in memtest i get ~2550 mb/sec. this seems a little slow, if i raise the ram to 200mhz and drop to 2t i get maybe ~2800 or so. is this correct for my ram? would the 300mb/sec really matter for gaming, and what throughput is expected for 200mhz ddr clock with these timings?

realized i need to install everest.. 2500 is ok if memtest is reporting a write speed, but if its read thats awfully slow i guess.

That is way low, compared to the numbers i get from sisoft sandra.. Are you running dual channel, 2 chips?

Sandra shows 5530MB/s for my setup @ 185(370)mhz, 2-2-2-5-1T

headless said:
That is way low, compared to the numbers i get from sisoft sandra.. Are you running dual channel, 2 chips?

Sandra shows 5530MB/s for my setup @ 185(370)mhz, 2-2-2-5-1T

nothings wrong, dl'd sandra and got a read of 5569 @ 190mhz 2-3-2-6-1t :)

I just got all of my new components except for that backplate. A $4 part keeping me from putting together this beast :D

yay.jpg

Apologies for the appalling picture quality, my camera is packed up and I'm using the crappy camera phone on my V3 .

Also, this might be a stupid question but how did you remove the plastic mount the MB came with? Is there any way to remove those plastic screws without destroying the whole thing? I don't have a dremel at the moment :( PS I see how the area on the plastic mount is thinner in the middle as not to come in contact with the resistors but I don't see any 1 resistor sticking out by itself.

headless said:
I'm using 1+3 because my xp-120 blocks slot4. ;) I doubt there's much if any performance diff between 2+4 and 1+3...would be nice to know if it had any effect on the 1t problems though..

Hey Headless!

I have been missing the discussion thanks to Katrina. I finally have power at home. My heart goes out to everyone affected in the Gulf Coast. I wanted to ask you, are you using the mobo to get your overclock and RAM divider or clockgen. I get memtest errors if I lower my RAM below 200!! and anything above 250 won't stick in the BIOS (as you well know). Give me a step by step on your o/c when you get a chance. Thanks, and glad to be back. :)

peacetilence said:
Also, this might be a stupid question but how did you remove the plastic mount the MB came with? Is there any way to remove those plastic screws without destroying the whole thing? I don't have a dremel at the moment :( PS I see how the area on the plastic mount is thinner in the middle as not to come in contact with the resistors but I don't see any 1 resistor sticking out by itself.

I just grabbed a phillipshead screwdriver and poked on the bottom, the plastic pins popped right up.

headless said:
I just grabbed a phillipshead screwdriver and poked on the bottom, the plastic pins popped right up.

Thanks, that saved me some headache. I figured it would be something easy.

acroig said:
Hey Headless!

I have been missing the discussion thanks to Katrina. I finally have power at home. My heart goes out to everyone affected in the Gulf Coast. I wanted to ask you, are you using the mobo to get your overclock and RAM divider or clockgen. I get memtest errors if I lower my RAM below 200!! and anything above 250 won't stick in the BIOS (as you well know). Give me a step by step on your o/c when you get a chance. Thanks, and glad to be back. :)

Hey man! Good to have you back. I got lucky this time around, (i'm in tallahassee, FL so ive seen a few hurricanes).

I'm using clockgen to set my o/cs.
I can set the RAM divider, RAM timings, HT link speed, all voltages, and the cpu multiplier in BIOS and all of those take effect. The only thing that it doesn't remember is the HTT/FSB/CPU speed which i set to 277mhz w/ clockgen on each boot. What kind of step by step are you looking for? i used the steps in CF-eclipse's O/C guide to obtain my max O/C.

hey if i have 24pin atx power supply (Seasonic 600w) do I have to plug in that 4 pin block connector above the cpu? Not the molex near the PCI slot, the one that is arranged 2 pins/2pin in a square. The reason I ask is my plug wont reach, and what i get from the manual is that this plug is used if you have a 20 pin power supply.

headless said:
Hey man! Good to have you back. I got lucky this time around, (i'm in tallahassee, FL so ive seen a few hurricanes).

I'm using clockgen to set my o/cs.
I can set the RAM divider, RAM timings, HT link speed, all voltages, and the cpu multiplier in BIOS and all of those take effect. The only thing that it doesn't remember is the HTT/FSB/CPU speed which i set to 277mhz w/ clockgen on each boot. What kind of step by step are you looking for? i used the steps in CF-eclipse's O/C guide to obtain my max O/C.

Another Floridian! Listen, don't get too excited, but I just got my board to boot at 260FSB, RAM @ 173, HTT @ 600. It booted and remembered the settings! I'm running memtest @ 2-2-2-5 1T.

How did I do it? Not really sure. I was at 240 FSB 1/1 RAM, 800 HTT. First I took the RAM to 166. I went to the main BIOS menu and saved there, not at the O/C screen. Then I took the FSB to 250. HTT stayed at 800. Went to BIOS main menu and F10 there. It booted fine. Next, I went to the HTT menu and lowered it to 600. F10 @ main menu. Booted just fine, all OK! I'm now at 260FSB, 173 RAM 2-2-2-5 1T, 600 HTT. Will test stability in Windows next. Wish me luck! :)

UPDATE: 7:10 PM ET: Did 30 minutes of occt. Will try and go higher.

UPDATE: 8:06 PM ET: Booted at 265, albeit with a little hesitation (5 seconds). Settings still being saved. Running 3700+ @ 10 x 265 1.475v, 600HTT. Testing with OCCT in Windows, 20 minutes so far stable. :)

UPDATE: 8:53 PM ET: Did one hour of occt no problems. Going higher. :)

FINAL UPDATE: 10:19 PM ET: Hit the 270Mhz wall. Board boots but at 200 (even though the BIOS says 270). Will stick at 265 FBS, RAM @ 176 (2-2-2-5, 1T), 600HTT, for a while. I saw the post about the new BIOS but it does not seem to fix anything I (we?) need. Good night all!

NEXT DAY UPDATE: I've gone back to 240 FSB 1:1 RAM @ 2.5-3-3-7 2T. Even at 2T I'm getting better Sandra mem numbers and better 3DMark 03 numbers.

acroig said:
Another Floridian! Listen, don't get too excited, but I just got my board to boot at 260FSB, RAM @ 173, HTT @ 600. It booted and remembered the settings! I'm running memtest @ 2-2-2-5 1T.

How did I do it? Not really sure. I was at 240 FSB 1/1 RAM, 800 HTT. First I took the RAM to 166. I went to the main BIOS menu and saved there, not at the O/C screen. Then I took the FSB to 250. HTT stayed at 800. Went to BIOS main menu and F10 there. It booted fine. Next, I went to the HTT menu and lowered it to 600. F10 @ main menu. Booted just fine, all OK! I'm now at 260FSB, 173 RAM 2-2-2-5 1T, 600 HTT. Will test stability in Windows next. Wish me luck! :)

UPDATE: 7:10 PM ET: Did 30 minutes of occt. Will try and go higher.

hey that is great news keep us updated!! I'm just getting my system together as I type, how do I get rid of this damn EVGA logo on boot so I can see what settings are being kept?? I cannot locate the option to disable it... :mad:

I think I read somewhere that you press tab to see bios instead of the evga boot logo. If you really want to get rid of it you could risk the chance flashing the latest jetway bios..

wtf.. brought down my system after stabily running for 2 days and then when i power it up after work get an ntldr is missing. now it only boots to win if i use manual boot mode to show it the sata 1 drive.. and in bios that drive is the primary boot (i changed nothing and it had been booting windows fine up until now) this sound familliar to anyone?

Well my system is liking this so far. Currently sitting at 2607Mhz stock Vcore and RAM. :) Just lowered the HTT to 800 and bumped the FSB to 237. Memory is Sandra scoring in the 5500 range. Timings on my PC4200 are 3-4-4-10. Just wish I could see what the load temps are. So this CPU is able to match my old hammer core at stock v's.... nice. More later. Oh... the MOBO seems to be remembering my BIOS settings so far too. I am using Clockgen in windows.

Evil Scooter said:
Well my system is liking this so far. Currently sitting at 2607Mhz stock Vcore and RAM. :) Just lowered the HTT to 800 and bumped the FSB to 237. Memory is Sandra scoring in the 5500 range. Timings on my PC4200 are 3-4-4-10. Just wish I could see what the load temps are. So this CPU is able to match my old hammer core at stock v's.... nice. More later. Oh... the MOBO seems to be remembering my BIOS settings so far too. I am using Clockgen in windows.

To check the temps and voltages use this monitoring tool:

http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7851

:eek:

Back