EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3072MB

Filter

[H]F Junkie
bigger delay in keplar or trying to milk the gtx 580 for more money?

and no this isnt the same classified card notice the ULTRA part.

Really? EVGA is starting to remind me of Activision. This is definitely milking... kinda lame for the people who bought the first one (non-ultra) for the same price.

My 1.5gb models do the same speeds as this ultar one. I would like the 3 gb though

They are clocked just a little bit higher but the forum reps said the cards were also binned so you'd be able to overclock them higher and consistently than the normal Classifieds. It's really up to the buyers to determine if those features are worth the $20 premium.

When have video card manufacturers ever not milked their products for all they're worth? I don't think this has anything to do with any delays.

Anyone who buys a GTX580 right now is kind of silly, with the AMD 7000-series right around the corner.

Anyone who buys a GTX580 right now is kind of silly, with the AMD 7000-series right around the corner.

some people wont buy AMD. i prefer nivida. ive owned ati/amd in the past but seems the games i play have/has always ran better on nvidia.

some people wont buy AMD. i prefer nivida. ive owned ati/amd in the past but seems the games i play have/has always ran better on nvidia.

Very true. Just bought a GTX 580 after having a 4870x2 fail. I am so happy with it that it will be years before I would ever even consider another AMD card.

Yeah, but a single GPU 7970XT will almost undoubtedly provide a better experience than a GTX580. I've used both brands extensively over the last few years and aside from a marginally slower turn around time for CFX profiles on new games with AMD (which looks as if it will be a non-issue soon since the 12.1 Preview drivers support custom profiles) I've found both companies have solid drivers, with each having some strengths and weaknesses.

If you are only willing to go with one brand that is certainly your call, but I've always thought it kind of odd to not just buy whatever is the best product at your price range.

where can I buy one of the ultras? I know next gen is very soon buy running onboard ffs... has to change, glad I waited though extra 60ghz juicy.

Some were for sale about an hour or two ago directly from eVGA but they went out of stock pretty quick.

If you are willing to pay 60% more for 10-15% more performance, then I have some beachfront property in Omaha that I'd like to sell you.

If you are willing to pay 60% more for 10-15% more performance, then I have some beachfront property in Omaha that I'd like to sell you.

Well this is [H] not SD so to some the price premium is worth the extra performance.

Not a price premium that is 4 times the amount of relative performance. I'd pay more for more performance but on a linear scale. Same reason why I bought 6950 unlocked instead of 6970.

Last edited:
Yeah, but a single GPU 7970XT will almost undoubtedly provide a better experience than a GTX580. I've used both brands extensively over the last few years and aside from a marginally slower turn around time for CFX profiles on new games with AMD (which looks as if it will be a non-issue soon since the 12.1 Preview drivers support custom profiles) I've found both companies have solid drivers, with each having some strengths and weaknesses.

If you are only willing to go with one brand that is certainly your call, but I've always thought it kind of odd to not just buy whatever is the best product at your price range.

ive heard that before "it will be a non issue" with the "next driver" oh wait the next "driver. and people will just wait till Kepler comes out.

not bashing amd/ati i loved my 9700pro and 9800pro. amd just has not got a reason for me to switch back.

Not a price premium that is 4 times the amount of relative performance. I'd pay more for more performance but on a linear scale. Same reason why I bought 6950 unlocked instead of 6970.

Troll elsewhere

I've read the low end parts are going to be released first, maybe 660 or 650Ti. May be awhile before the big dog parts drop. Contemplating popping in a 580 in the meantime. Not sure though.

I just jumped from two 460's to a single 3GB 580. Hopefully the rumors are true and Nvidia will skip the 6xx and go straight to the 7xx.

People want what they want......and will pay for it regardless of whether or not it makes sense to other people....there is nothing wrong with that

I just jumped from two 460's to a single 3GB 580. Hopefully the rumors are true and Nvidia will skip the 6xx and go straight to the 7xx.

Was they the 1GB edition 460 cards? As those would be roughly around the same performance as a 580. If it was the older 768 MB then you should see roughly 2x the power then, going to the 580. Thanks

its just to get some marketing out for the GTX580 since its on its deathbed.
It is a beautifully fast card that no one will be dissapointed in but its still not a better choice than the 7970. If you need a card RIGHT NOW then go for it. But if you are just looking to buy something because you have money burning a hole in youre pocket then I would suggest waiting for the HD7970.

I'm actually tempted at picking up this card. Is there a review anywhere on this card? I wonder how it performs compared to the 7970.

I think there is no review anywhere for this card but i think its a great card overall. I was soo close to picking 2 of these up but that was when they were $620 each. With the 7970 being $550, it was a no brainer for me. IMO this card is very comparable to the 7970 in performance, either way, both card are good.

I think there is no review anywhere for this card but i think its a great card overall. I was soo close to picking 2 of these up but that was when they were $620 each. With the 7970 being $550, it was a no brainer for me. IMO this card is very comparable to the 7970 in performance, either way, both card are good.

Yeah I see them on Newegg for 550 now. So now I'm thinking of picking one up.

Hmm 2 of these or 2 7970's for the same price.....arrrrg nvidia bring on the keplers so i can make up my mind!

^^I'm in nearly the same situation: Finished my rig, then returned the 1.5gb gtx 580 I had when I heard the 7970's were coming out. Then I started hearing about amd's driver problems and these overclocked 3gb gtx 580's are looking good after the recent price drop. However, in the meanwhile my rig still doesn't have a videocard and I just wanna play some games lol.

^^I'm in nearly the same situation: Finished my rig, then returned the 1.5gb gtx 580 I had when I heard the 7970's were coming out. Then I started hearing about amd's driver problems and these overclocked 3gb gtx 580's are looking good after the recent price drop. However, in the meanwhile my rig still doesn't have a videocard and I just wanna play some games lol.

I hear ya, Makes me think I should have built a PC once all the parts were available........Naaaaa I dont think i could waited that long =) only till feb I say, then Im jumping on some 7970's if any news doesnt come out from nvidia

I actually just ordered the Classified Ultra. I've been with the red team for the past three generations, and although the drivers have gotten better they STILL are buggier than I would like them to be. In the process of unloading my 6950 tri-fire right now and I already stand to make most of my money back on those. I'm looking forward to a beast of a card that runs stable :D

Last edited:
What they need to do is drop the price on the 580 3GB models by $50-100. At this point there is almost zero reason to buy these cards when the 7970 is out there for roughly the same price.

is the vanilla GTX680 going to be 3GB?

It would be incredibly foolish if it wasn't.

I actually just ordered the Classified Ultra. I've been with the red team for the past three generations, and although the drivers have gotten better they STILL are buggier than I would like them to be. In the process of unloading my 6950 tri-fire right now and I already stand to make most of my money back on those. I'm looking forward to a beast of a card that runs stable :D

Just got a pair myself as an rma exchange from EVGA, they are huge but quiet!

Just got a pair myself as an rma exchange from EVGA, they are huge but quiet!

What did you exchange? Just curious = ) How are those crossfire'd 7970's? Dont think I can wait till June for an nvidia update!

I had normal 3GB models. My buddy is going to take the classified cards off me. Will pay for my 7970's. Finally got all the driver crap taken care of.

I had normal 3GB models. My buddy is going to take the classified cards off me. Will pay for my 7970's. Finally got all the driver crap taken care of.

What do you mean by driver crap? are the crossfire drivers sorted out now? I've given myself a deadline of Feb 5th to make a final choice

Back