eVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX NF4 SLi mATX Mobo Thread

I would imagine that the manual is available in PDF form somewhere on the internet. More than likely EVGA has it on their website. If not I can try to later, but I do remember it was a lot of jumpers (possibly hard to reach).
Jason

sli select mode jumpers: JP2, JP3, JP4, JP5, JP6, JP7, JP8.
All of these jumpers should be in the 2-3 position. So if you are in the non-sli mode move all of the above listed jumpers to 2-3 positions. Also make sure you put the cards in the yellow slots :D

Oh, and for those complaining about the overclockability of the MB, it can easily hit 300 (and higher with clockgen). I'm running smoothly on an opty 170 @ 2.8 with mem @186.2 set on 2-3-3-6 and 1T. :eek:

AND! All should note it is poor judgment to brag about your overclocking ability when you can't even get a decent board to do you a favor. :cool: You know who I'm talkin 'bout funky monkey(s)!

I just saw the board at NewEgg and was tempted considering I am upgrading.

I was looking to reuse my socket 754 sempron to save money but going to a 939 board and getting a new processor will only run another $60 over the upgrade I was already looking at of an ECS nForce board off NewEgg and ATI X1900GT graphics card.

Two questions.

Will 939 be around awhile? Will 754?

I use an Antec Aria with only a 300w PSU that can't be changed without chopping up the case, will it be enough?

939 is no longer receiving new Processors. Where have you been? Anyways, AM2 and the Conroe socket are the current ones to look at.
Jason

mt_100 said:
I just saw the board at NewEgg and was tempted considering I am upgrading.

I was looking to reuse my socket 754 sempron to save money but going to a 939 board and getting a new processor will only run another $60 over the upgrade I was already looking at of an ECS nForce board off NewEgg and ATI X1900GT graphics card.

Two questions.

Will 939 be around awhile? Will 754?

I use an Antec Aria with only a 300w PSU that can't be changed without chopping up the case, will it be enough?

True this board now has a finite upgrade path but its still worth upgrading to. This board is a very good value these days, and so are good 939 processors.

Anyone have any problems flashing the bios? I get an error that says that the bios is locked and I have to check jumpers. I can't find any jumpers for flashing the bios.

I still have my manual, i ll take a pic tonight and upload to photobucket or something...

edit: i checked... the jumpers are located between the pci slots and where the cpu sits. there are three, one by itself and 2 back to back.

Anyone know if this mobo is still being manufactured by eVGA, with it being S939 and all. Can't really find anyone that still has this board in stock and newegg doesn't have an ETA on restock. eVGA still has this board as active on its website though.

Dark Prodigy said:
Anyone know if this mobo is still being manufactured by eVGA, with it being S939 and all. Can't really find anyone that still has this board in stock and newegg doesn't have an ETA on restock. eVGA still has this board as active on its website though.

Hey there, regarding your question, I actually just bought one last week, but I'm in Australia, I got it from this site, www.pccasegear.com for $185 AU, which comes to about US $146 although I think it's just a bit more now..just curious what prices are like in the US ..anyways

On another note, I really would like to find out if anyone is running 8800's in SLI on this board, or is it really not possible with the half duplex 8x PCI-e slots as I've been reading?
Would love to run like an FX60 with 2 x 8800GTS's SLI..
I just got the board, but it's waiting for its new home, a Silverstone Sugo 01 Evo(probably after New Year's)..
I haven't heard of this, but if anyone could confirm it would be great as I have to make up my mind if to get 7900GTX's or 8800's(provided they work)

Greetings from Land of OZ
..and Happy New Year!

Cheers ;)

t4orce said:
Hey there, regarding your question, I actually just bought one last week, but I'm in Australia, I got it from this site, www.pccasegear.com for $185 AU, which comes to about US $146 although I think it's just a bit more now..just curious what prices are like in the US ..anyways

I purchased a couple of these boards just a few weeks ago for $55.00 USD from newegg.com. And after viewing a few other stateside e-tailers during that time, I'd say the average price is about $70-80 USD.

There is obviously still a huge demand for this board, or a board like it. eVga needs to start manufacturing more of these soon.

Dark Prodigy said:
I purchased a couple of these boards just a few weeks ago for $55.00 USD from newegg.com. And after viewing a few other stateside e-tailers during that time, I'd say the average price is about $70-80 USD.

There is obviously still a huge demand for this board, or a board like it. eVga needs to start manufacturing more of these soon.

Cool, that's like half price man..

A nice new board with full SLI support, or even a Core Duo micro atx SLI version would sell like hotcakes..me thinks :D

t4orce said:
On another note, I really would like to find out if anyone is running 8800's in SLI on this board, or is it really not possible with the half duplex 8x PCI-e slots as I've been reading?
Would love to run like an FX60 with 2 x 8800GTS's SLI..
I just got the board, but it's waiting for its new home, a Silverstone Sugo 01 Evo(probably after New Year's)..
I haven't heard of this, but if anyone could confirm it would be great as I have to make up my mind if to get 7900GTX's or 8800's(provided they work)

Greetings from Land of OZ
..and Happy New Year!

Cheers ;)

YES! You can definitely run two 8800GTX in SLI on this board, but you better have very good cooling in your case. (Pictured above is my QMICRA case)

I found that I was very CPU limited and realy did not get much benefit from running (2) 8800GTX in SLI with this S-939 setup. However, I did see significant gains when using my C2D (overclocked) with 8800GTX SLI on my BFG 680i system :D

Thanks guys, I really wanted to know if 8800's will work in SLi on this board, very nice pics by the way dworley.
My thinking is this, I know from all the reviews that any 8800 is limited by any AMD Cpu(compared to any Core Duo Cpu), unless you game at higher resolution from what I've seen, and I plan on gaming at 1900x1200 res. or higher(well at least the gap on the CPU limitation diminishes, and the raw video card power kicks in and balances things out)
Still, I wouldn't get 2 x 8800GTX's, but would rather get 1 8800GTS now, run it in the middle slot, than later get a second for SLI, I'm sure that Oblivion would take advantage of it at high res with all options on..I was really going for two 7900GTX's which would be very good, but for that price I can get a single 8800GTX, but I really can't let the SLI go to waste. :(
I'm looking to get an FX60 and best ram for overcloking, perhaps I could push it to 3Ghz, and I plan on a full water cooling kit as well(speaking of the temperature inside the case)..
The thing is I know I could be getting a better Core Duo System, but I allways wanted this setup in a SFF PC, and later on invest in a full ball Intel System as a separate PC.
Either way I'll be waiting 'till January when prices will come down, perhaps I can pick up a good bargain on 2 x 7900GTX's, who knows

C'mon eVGA, if you're reading this, please make a Core Duo Microatx SLi board, I don't have lots of money, but I will surely buy one straight away..please..(there goes nothing)

Maybe everyone whose interested should sign a petition and send it to eVGA.. ;)

I couldn't resist and took some pics of my new board.. ;)

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k154/t4orce/DSCF0379.jpg

I tried fitting one of my old Leadtek 6600GT Extreme cards on it which has an NV6 cooler on it and it's freakin' huge, in fact I couldn't fit the second card in there..impossible, obviously the cooler is thicker than a GTXs

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k154/t4orce/DSCF0375.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k154/t4orce/DSCF0382.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k154/t4orce/DSCF0383.jpg

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

Just got my NF44 in for $50 shipped, from a guy who got it from MicroCenter "free with motherboard." It was still shrinkwrapped, in the largest retail box I've ever seen for a motherboard of any size. Board was surrounded by lots of foam in the box (several inches on each side and a bit on bottom) so it showed up in good shape. Accessories - Check. SLI bridge - check. Board only has one IDE port, forgiveable. ATX +12v connector in a bad place, if I were putting this into a mATX mini tower I'd want it close to top edge of board.

IN USE:

I have the E02 02-16-2006 BIOS. Web site has E02 8/23/2006. Same version but different date. Tried flashing, said something about it being protected. Ah well. In preliminary testing of just ability to POST (no operating system, no stability testing) I can run my Geil CAS 2 PC3200 2x512MB at CAS 2, 1T. This is while my Opteron 144 is at 2.7GHz and memory set at 133MHz. Coincidentally this means my HTT is running at BIOS max of 300MHz. I'm not sure I can stay at this speed however, because on my Biostar Tforce6100-939, I had to ever so slightly bump the vcore to make it stable at that speed. On this eVGA board I cannot change the vcore. Any setting besides AUTO results in no POST. Very curious.

PLANNED BUILD:

I have all the parts, just need to get it together and see how it works.

CPU - A64 3700+ or FX-55 (both San Diego core, trying to decide which to go with)
RAM - whatever I have laying around (maybe the Corsair XMS 2GB kit)
HSF - either the AMD quad heatpipe with 80mm fan or a Thermaltake Golden Orb II that I won at MidWestLAN last weekend.
HDD - Gonna run SATA RAID and have four sets of drives to choose from, 80GBx2, 160GBx2, 250GBx2, 400GBx2.
GPU - Got two 7900GTO ready and waiting.
Optical - some random DVDRW.
FDD - only while installing Windows.
PSU - Antec TruePower 2.0 480W.
Case - Ultra MicroFly.

EDIT:

Okay, it's together. Went with the FX-55. Had to run at default because still can't pump the vcore and my chip needs a hair more to be stable at higher speeds. Used the Corsair kit, the dual 250GB SATA in RAID 0, the two 7900GTO. 3DMark06 was in the low 7000 range - not too spectacular. Had to do some nibbling to be able to get the SLI bridge to fit.

EDIT #2:

It's together and running.

1-parts.jpg

2-testing.jpg

3-topview.jpg

4-leftview.jpg

5-rightview.jpg

6-rearview.jpg

7-angleview.jpg

zap,

There is a write protection setting in your current bios which is preventing it from being flashed. you need to disable this feature, and then you'll be able to update.

I flashed in order to resolve the nf44's issues with creative xfi cards, and the conflict was indeed resolved.
------------------------------------

And now my question:

I can't seem to find an updated set of drivers for this motherboard. EVGA's site seems to provide updated drivers for the NF41/43 AMD boards, but not for the NF44?

My interest is predominantly in an updated USB2 driver. For quite a while, I was having a strange issue where my mouse would freeze up, and then the box would reboot a few seconds thereafter.

After doing some reading, I discovered that this is often a symptom of a bad capacitor on the mb which allows the power in the board to fluctuate. Even though I'm only running a single graphics card, I decided to try running power into the extra 4pin power input for SLI support. Interestingly, this seems to have eliminated my issue.

Here's hoping it stays gone.

Please let me know if any of you find a current/updated set of drivers.

Thanks,

Michael

Nice work Zap and others... heres the worklog for my mATX build using this motherboard. I really hope eVGA continues its mATX SLI boards...there's a considerable market for them.

Project: TJ08 Silver

everyone in this thread should email EVGA to request updated BIOS for this board...

.2GhZ with an opty 165 (CCBBE) is garbage.

evga doesnt care :( there are no more new cpu coming out so they droped support
(did they ever support this board in the first place) the highest I can get stable with this thing is 250fsb (any higher and i get no sound only in bf2:confused: )
Im hoping abit comes out with something nice so i can jump ship to intel:p

so what is it about this mobo that is gimping the overclock? Is it maxhing out at a low FSB? crappy voltage?

Im hopeing my opty 180 with its high multiplyer of 12 will do good on this baord.. but I dont have the board yet..

Nothing personal but few people on this forum short of reviewers has touched more hardware than me both notebooks and regular desktops. I am telling you this board while it may be just a single lemon is most likely crap. I know overclocking inside and out and have been extremely successful at it. I know this particular bios inside and out because it is very similar to the EVGA SLI big brother but lacks key features like a NB voltage and LDT adjustment as well.

As for any of my hardware being an issue: The Seasonic S-12 600 watt is simply one of the best PSU's in the world. There is no way a an SFF will pull more voltage either unevenly or otherwise than a DFI expert board. My memory is topnotch and has been used in a DFI NF4-D, ULTRA-D,SLI-DR, and an SLI-Expert. Plus an MSI K8N NeoPlatinum4, an EVGA SLI, a T-Force 6100, an ECS R482 rev 1 board, and an ASRock DualPCI-e/AGP board (actually 2 of them). I am pretty sure my stuff is good and stable.

The fact that this board refuses to address 2 gigs of either Mushkin PC4000 or Corsair PC4000 (yes I got 2 Gigs of each) outside of a 2T command is a big problem. The fact that this board does not boot if you set it to 1.550 volts is another issue. I also wish I had a voltameter to properly measure volts on the cpu, because according to the bios and to CPU-Z it is pulling 1.41v when I got it set to 1.525 (the highest the bios will allow me to set it and boot)

Temps appear to be within spec. And these errors have occured with two Opty 165's. I suppose I could try my third one but geez, at what point do you say it's the motherboard? Saddest part? The T-Force 6100 was a 43 barebone motherboard from Newegss refurb site I got for kicks. It took my chip to 2.5 ghz without trying at a 1t command. This board was one I put some cash into and it doesn't even work at stock 1.8ghz unless you use a 2T command for the memory. As far as I am concerned it is a flawed motherboard. Perhaps a bios fix? I really do not have the time and energy to find out.

jsut read thru the entire thread... haha you seem to know you stuff, but thats a lot of knowledge for someone that has no voltmeter! geez.. and you call your self a overclocker!

cannot update the bios.

i already change the protection setting in bios..

and the bios update process is fine....

but the bios date still at E02 02-16-2006....not E02 8/23/2006

pls help..

cannot update the bios.

i already change the protection setting in bios..

and the bios update process is fine....

but the bios date still at E02 02-16-2006....not E02 8/23/2006

pls help..
Don't worry. It is the same bios. The 8/23/06 bios is timestamped 2/16/06 once flashed. 8/23/06 is just the date EVGA finally put their bios on the web.

I tried to install my SLI setup on this board and it's not working. I have two BFG 7900 GTX OC cards and when I install the second one the system just sits without posting. When I pull the bottom card the system posts but the bios is reset. I'm running the latest bios, anyone else experience anything like this?

I tried to install my SLI setup on this board and it's not working. I have two BFG 7900 GTX OC cards and when I install the second one the system just sits without posting. When I pull the bottom card the system posts but the bios is reset. I'm running the latest bios, anyone else experience anything like this?

In order to run SLi on this mobo, you must first set the jumpers properly. Check the manual and it will tell you which jumpers to move.

*sigh* Mine is still sitting in my closet trying to decide what am i going to do with it :( I have 2 EVGA 7950GTX to go with it and a 4600+.

P1010038.jpg

I checked the jumpers and set them correctly before posting, but I did forget when I first installed the card. I also tried with and without the SLI bridge, and tried switching the cards around. No dice. I guess I'll try a new PSU and maybe pop the cards into someone else's SLI rig just to make sure they really do work(they worked when pulled by my friend to give to me).

copilot --

I'm not running in SLI on mine, but my recollection is that you may have to plug your power supply into an additional 4pin slot on the board (just above the pcie slots) in order to give it enough juice to support 2 cards.

have you done this already? best of luck to you.

I have all the connectors plugged in. I'm shopping around for a board for my e6700 and the cards will probably end up in that rig. I would RMA the board, but I don't think it'll be worth it. My Opty isn't the best stepping and OC potential is nill. Might as well take the chance to upgrade. Thanks for the suggestions. =)

Anybody using the optical out on this board?

Forgive me for my newb question, but I can run optical out to a home theater receiver, correct?

I'm not having any luck...

Hey I finally got mine to run 1t with 2x 1gb sticks. For the longest stim i coulnt not run 1t stable even at stock 200Mhz!

I swaped out my 1gg sticks of crucial for 2 1gb sticks of promos stuff..

mine pissed me off soo much it got demoted to my download box
(even had to throw in a nic card since the on board nic was corrupting around 33% of packets downloaded thru BT ):rolleyes:

Back