Error when copying files over 2gb

Juanse

n00b
Hi.
I have a Kingston HyperX 1tb SSD, no more than 3 years old and 70% full, connected via usb adapter to a surface pro

No problem when copying small files, deleting or reading, but when copying larger files (2gb for example) it starts but rapidly speed decreases and then it just hangs.

In the past it worked no problem, or sometimes I got same problem, randomly.

Drive scan shows no errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the answers.
Its the second adapter I try, for the same problem. The first one was enclosure type and the currentis like this:
1581331389258.png

which seemed to work better at first. Both were generics. Any better recomendation?

Is your drive formated FAT32, ExFAT, NTFS ?

This. It sounds like the file system, file size limit.

I hit it before on Fat formatted drives. Though I think it was 4GB files.

Reformated drive to NTFS and problem solved.

Last edited:
FAT16 had a 2GB file size limit if I remember correctly, and yes, FAT32 was 4GB for the file size limit.

This. It sounds like the file system, file size limit.

I hit it before on Fat formatted drives. Though I think it was 4GB files.

Reformated drive to NTFS and problem solved.

If it's a FAT issue you will get a "not enough space" error right away.

I use the Startech USB to SATA cable, I have 2 of them and haven't had any issue with them.
Makes cloning laptop drives easier as I use my desktop to do the cloning.

Attachments

• IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you overclocking your RAM? Unstable memory clocks and timings can cause all sorts of problems when moving or extracting data. If you have XMP enabled try with it off.

I've just googled a little what is to overclock and enable XMP, so I guess the answer is no I'm not
Drive format is NTFS

• Check if your motherboard has any BIOS updates and apply them if so.
  • Try using a different high quality (shorter?) USB cable.
  • If you are plugging the USB cable into the USB on the front of the computer case, try plugging it into one of the USB ports on the back of the motherboard.
  • Check for a firmware update for the Kingston SSD. Backup all data before updating firmware.

Hi Azrak, thanks for the ideas.
Bios and firmware are up to date.
I have tried with three different adapters
Computer is a surface pro, I’m using its only port

Hrm. If this was a spinning disk, I would recommend a defrag. If there are too many fragments on a filesystem, it can cause problems like you're describing. On a SSD though I'm not even sure that defrag utilities will let you run on the damn things, since it doesn't make a lot of performance sense. You might still find a deframentation utility that can at least tell you how many file fragments exist on the system, but unless it's a large number (millions) it's not your issue.

Your drive may simply be bad. Additionally, I'm not sure if being connected via USB affects the drive's ability to TRIM itself. Under Windows, in defrag this would be the "Optimize" drive button. If it won't let you push that button, then your drive is probably critically in need of a TRIM.

Hi Azrak, thanks for the ideas.
Bios and firmware are up to date.
I have tried with three different adapters
Computer is a surface pro, I’m using its only port

Can you plug it into a sata port on a desktop and try your repro? That would at least tell if the drive is bad?

Sounds like a failing or failed SSD to me. Or maybe even a defective unit from the factory.

Back