EQNext" will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Landmark is crowdsourced construction of the EQN environment, except that SOE is cashing in twice, they get your designs without having to hire designers themselves, and they get you to pay for providing them with designs as well.

From where I am looking one would have to be a real chump to pay SOE to do their work for them.

We're chumps because we'll pay money for a game that we enjoy? It's like an ultra-ridiculous Minecraft. Why would I NOT play?

I'm pretty sure Thule was an EQ2 player if I remember correctly. I can also appreciate and understand what he is saying and its not really that far off.

However, I will probably buy this game and play it...Its like an abusive spouse...lol

As I said before, if it has a "Second Life" style ability to sell your own crafted items, it can be quite lucrative. I know someone who basically had a second job renting land in Second Life. She owned a few plots of land that were $200 USD/month, yet she made a ton of cash by leasing the space out to others who ran all sorts of shops, nightclubs, and more. Another friend was very er.. talented with creating and scripting in-depth erotic gear and also made a fortune. While there were plenty of mediocre items for sale, if you did something well and hit your niche, you could have a nice complimentary (or in some cases primary - look up "Anshe Chung" if I recall, who was made a millionaire through real estate transactions in Second Life) income.

I can only hope that EQNext has some elements thereof, where crafting is meaningful be it forging a blade or creating an intricate throne of skulls.

As I said before, if it has a "Second Life" style ability to sell your own crafted items, it can be quite lucrative. I know someone who basically had a second job renting land in Second Life. She owned a few plots of land that were $200 USD/month, yet she made a ton of cash by leasing the space out to others who ran all sorts of shops, nightclubs, and more. Another friend was very er.. talented with creating and scripting in-depth erotic gear and also made a fortune. While there were plenty of mediocre items for sale, if you did something well and hit your niche, you could have a nice complimentary (or in some cases primary - look up "Anshe Chung" if I recall, who was made a millionaire through real estate transactions in Second Life) income.

I can only hope that EQNext has some elements thereof, where crafting is meaningful be it forging a blade or creating an intricate throne of skulls.

Yeah, you'll be able to claim areas of procedurally generated land, and sell that. You'll also be able to build stuff on a claim, and basically save it off as a template - from there you can sell that on the marketplace.

Yeah, you'll be able to claim areas of procedurally generated land, and sell that. You'll also be able to build stuff on a claim, and basically save it off as a template - from there you can sell that on the marketplace.

This would make crafting pretty lucrative and useful for once.

In many MMOs, crafting has been relegated to mostly armors and weapons. Lately, like in FFXIV, it's even reduced further to just melding Materia. A lot of the best armors are exclusive items dropped from dungeons, thus negating any really useful aspect of crafting itself. When housing is released in FFXIV, we can make furniture and other housing items. The same happened in FFXI before and after Seekers of Adoulin where crafting was more of an afterthought now than making armors or weapons with it. I stopped Smithing in FFXI at level 92 because it became pointless pouring in money into a craft that'll never be used in endgame.

If a company is going to add crafting to an MMO, make it useful. Don't ignore it or make it useless when introducing new items that are even better than anything ever crafted in game.

For EQ Next, I hope that's not the case and that crafting has a purpose from beginning to endgame. ArcheAge has made crafting pretty useful from building ships to housing and housing materials and furniture. Making furniture and other things related to land ownership and housing is a great addition. Hopefully, crafting will be more than just housing though in EQ Next.

Received my Alpha invite which says click here and download, but there isnt a download link when I reach that page?

EDIT. seems I have to wait for my member status name to change? Kind of BS since they sent me the link.

Last edited:
Received my Alpha invite which says click here and download, but there isnt a download link when I reach that page?

EDIT. seems I have to wait for my member status name to change? Kind of BS since they sent me the link.

You Log in using your Station account used to purchase (it will probably take you to an acct management screen), and then click the link again. The download button showed up. If too many people are having issues, I can zip up the installer and upload it.

Oh, when anyone gets into Alpha, there's a really nice little "Welcome to Alpha" video that plays after you patch and log in - its nice to see someone at SOE taking a page from some of the more indie companies and communicating properly.

Last edited:
Im following the link from the email which takes me to the home page and there is no download link. Ive been waiting for about 13 hours now. Very frustrated.

Click what "link" again?

No go on browser change. Seems if you log on the forums your status will be "new member" or explorer, ect. People are just bumping the thread to see if they have a status change. Until your name changes you cant get the link? This all seems pretty stupid.

I posted the word "bored" and they flagged me, wrote me a note and docked me -20 points? Very funny.

Ok I'm in but the servers aren't active. Only the character creation page is up.

They've been working on their first bug patch all night. Typical first run bugs with stability. If you follow any of their channels they've been updating all night long every hour or so from catching up on the twitter feed this morning.

Yeah really, Dave Georgeson was tweeting all night long updating what was going on, he didn't even go home/get any sleep and he's still tweeting updates.

Servers opened but lots of people rushing the gates to get in so crashing, etc as expected.

For any new players, you might not realize this but a VERY helpful thing (if you want to know wtf to do when you get into the game) is to go to

c:/users/public/sony online entertainment/installed games/everquest next landmark/tutorials

Inside this folder there are videos of the developers giving you tutorials on how the game works, how to build/craft and how things work.

You should watch these before playing the game.

anyone have information about placing their claim flag...I seem to be having a problem finding a spot that lets me.

Do you have to pay to get in the alpha at this point, or did they legitimately send codes out to those who registered last august?

Do you have to pay to get in the alpha at this point, or did they legitimately send codes out to those who registered last august?

Only way in alpha is the founders packs (60 or 100 bucks).

Otherwise wait for beta which starts in a couple months or so.

Didn't log in last night due to the server problems, but did spend a while on it friday night/early saturday morning. Will take some time to flesh it out but i do see some good possibilities.
Looks like most of the land areas that are near the log in site are pretty much claimed due to ease of use, but i did find an out of the way spot a good distance into a desert area that i claimed and liked. (I have a fortress/rest stop-overlooking a pass idea in my head...lol)
What i really like is the destructible enviroment. Can see myself making a mine on my property that just happens to break into an abandoned dungeon/underground area. As someone said, it's almost like minecraft on steroids... :)
They DO need to tone down the crafting requirements imho though. Need tons of stuff just to make simple items, and while most are easy to get it takes awhile if your a casual player. (Almost certain it will change before it launches tho)
May not appeal to hardcore mmo players but i'm liking it so far.

Last edited:
I found a perfect spot for what I wanted. Just a bit aways from the starting area/forge I found a huge mountain, climbed all the way to the top and claimed the peak and it's got a huge view all around it.

Plan to build me a huge tower.

However I am getting terrible stuttering/fps issues.

I will be pulling 65'ish fps but every couple of seconds it drops to like 20 fps and creates a very noticeable stuttering tha tmakes playing it virtually impossible.

Sooooooo. I dont really get it. Whats the point? Im serious. It feels like a version of second life. Are there just going to be miles and miles of players home/structures? Is there ample space between plots? What do you do after you build your house?

Wonders how many people will be spending countless hours making a home in eqnext while in real life they are living at parents home in basement and jobless pathetic losers. The main reason this comes to mind is years back one of my cousins was like that and still is to this day. Actually spoke to him and yup he is playing eqnext building a nice home and still lives at home at age 41.
I did check out exnext watching some youtube videos and no thanks. Last game in the world I would want to play in a d&d type setting where you are in a cartoon world. Slap me silly and call me weird but it was my understanding that in alternate reality d&d type games you were supposed to be part of a realistic world of dungeons, dragons, epic adventures with swords and sorcery abound ! Not tony the tiger and papa smurf ! EQNEXT = FAIL

Sooooooo. I dont really get it. Whats the point? Im serious. It feels like a version of second life. Are there just going to be miles and miles of players home/structures? Is there ample space between plots? What do you do after you build your house?

It is basically Minecraft on steroids. You either "get it" or you don't.

Minecraft on steroids (+ a bit of Second Life) is a good way to note the Alpha status, but remember they'll be expanding it quite a bit in the future, with the addition of quests, NPCs (both hostile and otherwise) and more. In many ways, its an engine test for EQNext as well, and there will be a significant amount of "cross over" content, that will make its way one way or the other into EQNext (ie. Players actually able to sell their designs for real and/or in-game money).

Overall, I think it looks promising, as does EQNext itself (signing up to test Landmark also signs you up to test EQNext)...provided they don't screw it up with marketing and typical corporate dumbassery. At least for now, it appears that the devs have seen the success of some indie MMO projects and are trying to take a more open development process and perhaps (hopefully) focusing less of monetizing to the exclusion of all else, as they've seen how that has harmed previous properties.

Hell, SOE has even completely reworked their membership system..check out this excerpt from an email sent to me..

On or about April 2nd, we will be rolling out a simple, new All Access membership plan full of value. In the new All Access plan, members will be able to:
•
Claim 500 Station Cash monthly from within the game marketplaces.
•
Receive a 10% discount on marketplace purchases.
•
Gain access to exclusive promotions and offers throughout the year.
And we’ve gone a step further…
We will be upgrading all existing individual game memberships to the new All Access plan, which will include the top-tier membership level in all eligible SOE games (EverQuest, EverQuest II, DC Universe Online PC, PlanetSide 2 PC, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and the upcoming EverQuest Next and EQN Landmark) for one, low monthly rate of $14.99 (with extra savings for 3, 6 and 12 month plans). We’re also finalizing membership benefits to other games such as Dragon’s Prophet and will share these new updates as available."

Wonders how many people will be spending countless hours making a home in eqnext while in real life they are living at parents home in basement and jobless pathetic losers. The main reason this comes to mind is years back one of my cousins was like that and still is to this day. Actually spoke to him and yup he is playing eqnext building a nice home and still lives at home at age 41.
I did check out exnext watching some youtube videos and no thanks. Last game in the world I would want to play in a d&d type setting where you are in a cartoon world. Slap me silly and call me weird but it was my understanding that in alternate reality d&d type games you were supposed to be part of a realistic world of dungeons, dragons, epic adventures with swords and sorcery abound ! Not tony the tiger and papa smurf ! EQNEXT = FAIL

You come into a gaming forum and post in a thread basically calling everyone who's playing the game a stereotypical "nerd" who lives at home in their parents basement.

Then you get pissed that Everquest, which isn't D&D, isn't enough like D&D an a "realistic" world of dungeons and dragons (How is that realistic again? Dragons don't exist in real life).

Nothing more annoying then a gamer that feels the need to bash other games and try to say everyone else (besides himself) is a stereotypical nerd.

The game is meant to be like minecraft, where you can make whatever you can think off but instead of being stuck to square shapes you are able to make things in any shape you can think of.

Huge fail of a post. They're not even discussing EQNext either soooooooo

It is basically Minecraft on steroids. You either "get it" or you don't.

Yes. Duh. I get that element of it but there is a pop up window that has to do with what looks like monthly payment for land in Second Life...I could have read it wrong but that is what I was referring to.

You come into a gaming forum and post in a thread basically calling everyone who's playing the game a stereotypical "nerd" who lives at home in their parents basement.

Then you get pissed that Everquest, which isn't D&D, isn't enough like D&D an a "realistic" world of dungeons and dragons (How is that realistic again? Dragons don't exist in real life).

Nothing more annoying then a gamer that feels the need to bash other games and try to say everyone else (besides himself) is a stereotypical nerd.

The game is meant to be like minecraft, where you can make whatever you can think off but instead of being stuck to square shapes you are able to make things in any shape you can think of.

Huge fail of a post. They're not even discussing EQNext either soooooooo

This. Beat me to it! Thanks for sharing my sentiments :D

Was on it last night making a mine but it regenerated the open end of it it looked like, so had to dig myself out. (Well, TRIED to till the server went down...lol) Came back on this morning and was outside so all to the good.. :)
Did notice my claim was gone, but went to server select, came back on and it came back. (Different shard of the same server?)
Will check it tonight to see if all my work is still there.
And i don't even live in my parents basement! :D
This is a good game to relax with imho...

I'm very interested in this title from what I'm reading so far, but I still stand by my earlier statements that this will attract the "basement dweller" types that yelsew seemed to be harping on. There is some pretty weird stuff in Second Life and this looks to be at least partially going that route.

So you'll be able to build like this in the actual game? or just the landmark addon?

Landmark and EQNext are two separate games.

Landmark is basically like minecraft. You have a world where you have to collect resources which you then use to build things (tools, buildings, etc).

You have picks (for mining minerals/ores, Axes (for wood) and they are going to have sickles (for harvesting plants) and buckets (for harvesting liquids), but those two aren't in yet (nor is water).

Also the tools have different stats, which are both random (when you craft an item it can be lower quality or higher with special stats) and set (IE a starter pick can't be used to mine certain higher-tier minerials, which you need a better pick for).

Theres also other things you can make/use, like grappling hooks , which work pretty much like Batman's grappling hook and let you point it at a point and then zip up to it. Where you can even mine on the side of a mountain by doing this.

They also plan to eventually have combat in landmark and creatures/monsters, but those are not in alpha at the moment.

Everquest Next on the other hand is going to be a full fledged mmorpg. So far we don't have a ton of info but what they have talked about is having it be more sandbox (it's not just going to be "everquest 2.0."). It will have an open class system where you basically aren't locked into a class and instead you mix and match skills (which you have to find in the game) and make your own classes.

Also some items you build in Everquest landmark might make it into Everquest next if they fit within the theme (fantasy/middle ages type of buildings).

In landmark you can build things and then sell them on the player market (like you can do in EQ2 and Planetside 2).

So there's a chance for people to make real money with it if they learn it and are good at it.

Landmark and EQNext are two separate games.

Landmark is basically like minecraft. You have a world where you have to collect resources which you then use to build things (tools, buildings, etc).

You have picks (for mining minerals/ores, Axes (for wood) and they are going to have sickles (for harvesting plants) and buckets (for harvesting liquids), but those two aren't in yet (nor is water).

Also the tools have different stats, which are both random (when you craft an item it can be lower quality or higher with special stats) and set (IE a starter pick can't be used to mine certain higher-tier minerials, which you need a better pick for).

Theres also other things you can make/use, like grappling hooks , which work pretty much like Batman's grappling hook and let you point it at a point and then zip up to it. Where you can even mine on the side of a mountain by doing this.

They also plan to eventually have combat in landmark and creatures/monsters, but those are not in alpha at the moment.

Everquest Next on the other hand is going to be a full fledged mmorpg. So far we don't have a ton of info but what they have talked about is having it be more sandbox (it's not just going to be "everquest 2.0."). It will have an open class system where you basically aren't locked into a class and instead you mix and match skills (which you have to find in the game) and make your own classes.

Also some items you build in Everquest landmark might make it into Everquest next if they fit within the theme (fantasy/middle ages type of buildings).

In landmark you can build things and then sell them on the player market (like you can do in EQ2 and Planetside 2).

So there's a chance for people to make real money with it if they learn it and are good at it.

this basically sums up all of my questions about both games at the moment. Thanks!

Does anyone know anything about a "smooth" tool. I keep reading about it but its not in my game items.

Just logged in, couldn't find a single place to put a claim down in 20 minutes of searching... guess I wait until a new server pops up?

Just logged in, couldn't find a single place to put a claim down in 20 minutes of searching... guess I wait until a new server pops up?

At the big spire thingie when you first login you can click this to go to different "islands", there should be some space on one of thees to find.

Back