Epic doing Epic things?

You not buying the game sends no message to developers other than to add micro-transactions to siphon as much money as they can from their existing customers. You pirating it sends the message that maybe the price is too high, or maybe you don't offer the product the way I'd like it. This is how World of Warcraft classic came to be as there was so many private servers that told Blizzard that it was time to offer this product. There are many occasions where developers even tell you to pirate their games.

I have rules to buying games, and if the game doesn't match my requirements then I'm pirating.
  • The game must run on Linux. Epic Store doesn't officially support Linux so any game exclusive on their store is getting pirated. I don't like doing their work to get a game to run on Linux. Valve has done this 1000x over.
  • The game must not cost $60 or more. I'm not paying that much for a video game.
  • Your game better not have micro-transactions or paid DLC. I don't even bother pirating games with micro-transactions but DLC nowadays does offer really good content and not having it does ruin the experience.
  • Your game better be good. I've learned not to listen to reviewers because I'm always right in the end of which game is worth my time or not. I always try before I buy. Especially with the silly return policies some of these stores tend to have, which Epic games requires less than 2 hours of play time, which I can spend 1 hour just on the character creation screen.

Why not just ignore those games instead of wasting your time pirating them at all, then? Sounds like you wouldn't like them if they don't meet those qualifiers, anyway.

Why not just ignore those games instead of wasting your time pirating them at all, then? Sounds like you wouldn't like them if they don't meet those qualifiers, anyway.

Don't you know? He's a social justice warrior. He only plays games on Linux, and if a game isn't explicitly for sale on linux he's going to do extra work and pirate it then put in the work to figure out a solution to play it on linux. No matter how bad the game. So brave! He's fighting for the 1% (linux gamers)!

Don't you know? He's a social justice warrior. He only plays games on Linux, and if a game isn't explicitly for sale on linux he's going to do extra work and pirate it then put in the work to figure out a solution to play it on linux. No matter how bad the game. So brave! He's fighting for the 1% (linux gamers)!
Screw it, I'm going to make a set of arbitrary rules whereby I get to justify pirating 99% of games. That'll show those devs who's boss.

You not buying the game sends no message to developers other than to add micro-transactions to siphon as much money as they can from their existing customers. You pirating it sends the message that maybe the price is too high, or maybe you don't offer the product the way I'd like it. This is how World of Warcraft classic came to be as there was so many private servers that told Blizzard that it was time to offer this product. There are many occasions where developers even tell you to pirate their games.

I have rules to buying games, and if the game doesn't match my requirements then I'm pirating.
Pirating is wrong - PERIOD. Your long post is just a bunch of rationalizations.

Yep, if you want to vote with your wallet either skip a game or wait for it to drop to a price that it's worth dealing with whatever baggage it comes with(DRM, Microtransactions, etc).

I see nothing wrong with buying a game and then running a cracked copy though.

Yep, if you want to vote with your wallet either skip a game or wait for it to drop to a price that it's worth dealing with whatever baggage it comes with(DRM, Microtransactions, etc).

Have had to do that back in the Starforce days.

Yes!

Used to use the no-cd cracks all the time, just got tired of having the disc in the drive if not needed.

Yes!

Used to use the no-cd cracks all the time, just got tired of having the disc in the drive if not needed.

Yeah there was a period everyone used those. Games did it so you didn't need to use as much space on your hard drive. The good games actually let you choose to full install and not need the CD or a crack.

Because a lot of obscure good games I have found through piracy. Like Dark Souls, before it became popular, and Hollow Knight. I own the games now but wouldn't give them the time of day unless I pirated them.

Wasn't expecting my post to go over well in this forum, but it is a form of protest and it works. Sony was afraid of people pirating their games through emulators and now they're on PC. Blizzard didn't like all the private servers so they made WoW classic. Epic as a store hasn't done anything with value over Steam as a store, as they just get timed exclusives. Either Epic improves their store to at least have equal features as Steam or pirate. I'm expecting Nintendo to at some point bring their games to PC because they must be aware of all the piracy going on.

Last edited:
Either Epic improves their store to at least have equal features as Steam or pirate.
not one to chastise pirates, arr matey, but ive never seen that used as an excuse, i certainly never have used it. lots like that it does have all the other non-gaming bullshit in it.

not one to chastise pirates, arr matey, but ive never seen that used as an excuse, i certainly never have used it. lots like that it does have all the other non-gaming bullshit in it.
As a Linux user it's a real reason. Valve puts lots of effort into Linux, including hiring people to work on drivers and Wine. Epic has bought games that were on Steam and had working Linux ports, and now don't. Also the whole making games exclusive didn't sit well with people either.

81f.jpg

ihjjlts676d31.png

I just don't respect digital media, and digital media specifically, and mainly from large corporations

Not cause I'm on some eat the rich or whatever B.S.

When they decide to nickel and dime me with digital media (horse armor, loot boxes, incomplete games you need to then also purchase DLC for, etc)

When they do things like retroactively remove content from the digital media I bought (GTA games, etc)

When they tell me "no no no, you didn't buy that product silly, you're buying our permission to simply experience the product, and we'll revoke permission if we see fit" (games, movies, etc)

I just say "OK"

Then I say "Dear Google, give me the warez"

That said, I also really don't pirate games anymore because Steam is easier and more convenient , especially when you're only willing to pay $5 a game anymore (see all the above) and can get that $5 for free essentially (Steam card money) - and devs who I like what they do - like Capcom - I'm not only willing to pay more than $5, but I'm willing to pay actual money for it and not just pocket change I got for free

But I still don't respect it for the most part, and am not above illicitly downloading it with no qualms

I just don't respect digital media, and digital media specifically, and mainly from large corporations

When they decide to nickel and dime me with digital media (horse armor, loot boxes, incomplete games you need to then also purchase DLC for, etc)

But when they do things like retroactively remove content from the digital media I bought (GTA games, etc)

When they tell me "no no no, you didn't buy that product silly, you're buying our permission to simply experience the product, and we'll revoke permission if we see fit" (games, movies, etc)

I just say "OK"

That said, I also really don't pirate games anymore because Steam is easier and more convenient , especially when you're only willing to pay $5 a game anymore (see all the above) and can get that $5 for free essentially (Steam card money) - and devs who I like what they do - like Capcom - I'm not only willing to pay more than $5, but I'm willing to pay actual money for it and not just pocket change I got for free

But I still don't respect it for the most part, and am not above illicitly downloading it with no qualms
Coast Guard alerted! :p Thanks for being honest unlike most pirates. Stay safe ;).

But when they do things like retroactively remove content from the digital media I bought (GTA games, etc)

I just say "OK"

Pretty much. Steam mostly got me off the pirate ship for good. I still might download something to check it out for a bit....there's a bunch of fun little titles I would have never known about if it weren't for cracking sites. I have zero qualms about using stuff like creamapi though for unlocking DLC in mostly Paradox games. Then they make a sequel that's missing most of the features the dlc introduced in the previous game....

In other news, good 'ol boy Tim Sweeney's Epic Games have been forced to pay $245 million for tricking users into making unwanted charges:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/new...c-games-pay-245-million-tricking-users-making

As far as I'm concerned, Epic Games can die in a dumpster fire.
As a store there isn't much you can offer other than making it easier for me to get my games. This is also why I hate consoles, because they don't focus on service but exclusives, much like Epic. If Epic is tricking people out of $245 million dollars, then you're not trying to be a store. I don't have a problem having multiple installers to get my games, but I do have a problem with another store buying exclusives and not trying to compete. I bet you that $245 million is from Fortnite.

As a store there isn't much you can offer other than making it easier for me to get my games. This is also why I hate consoles, because they don't focus on service but exclusives, much like Epic. If Epic is tricking people out of $245 million dollars, then you're not trying to be a store. I don't have a problem having multiple installers to get my games, but I do have a problem with another store buying exclusives and not trying to compete. I bet you that $245 million is from Fortnite.
Valid point, it is from Fortnite. But Tim Sweeney can still kiss my...

Back