Entry VR equipment

ajrettke33

Limp Gawd
Hey, I'm intersted in VR and have a more than capable PC... (Ryzen 7 w/1080), but was wondering what all do I need for a basic entry level setup for head unit and controls?

I would imagine snagging a Rift or Vive set from best buy would be sufficient. Both have programs you can download where it will grade your system's "readiness" for VR.

What modi said, start of with the basic RIFT kit...dont mess with the VIVE right now,, for entry level the RIFT kit with the two sensors and touch controls will be more than adequate. I did some reviewing, and as fast as this technology is moving you can't review data any older than say 3 months as both VR systems have become closer and closer in what they can do.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
shop around! I found a Rift with controllers for much less than usual. So, please do yourself a favor shop around. IF you get a rift their store has a bunch of free games to try out. Dont know if Vive offers the same probably do??

Also, if you have the money... get a 3d sensor makes a nice difference. Then, croose youtube for information on setup and things to do.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would also look at the list of games that rift/vive have, might find one has better games than the other.

Though both headsets can generally play both stores games with some 3rd party support, it may affect your decision if you do not want to mess with said software.

Would also look at the list of games that rift/vive have, might find one has better games than the other.

Though both headsets can generally play both stores games with some 3rd party support, it may affect your decision if you do not want to mess with said software.

Honestly I think they should try out the controls...I have never held a VIVE control (assuming no knuckles atm), they appear overly bulky and not near as ergonomic as the RIFT...I am sure someone who has both can chime in on this.

Honestly I think they should try out the controls...I have never held a VIVE control (assuming no knuckles atm), they appear overly bulky and not near as ergonomic as the RIFT...I am sure someone who has both can chime in on this.

I have a Rift and Vive and like the Vive controllers a good deal more. I just don't like the main trigger button on the Rift controllers, too mushy. The side buttons on the Vive controllers are on the too stiff side I think. While the Vive controllers look a good deal bulkier, they are only about 1.4 ounces heavier each, I've actually weight them.

My experiences are only with the Vive, I do not have any experience with the Rift hardware. I will agree though that the side buttons feel stiff as it takes a few times to perform a certain action in some games. I think throwing guns/objects in Raw Data or Superhot I can’t remember which game it was.

Hmmm thanks for all the input....seems like rift vs vibe, I'm gonna check out the game list!

Hmmm thanks for all the input....seems like rift vs vibe, I'm gonna check out the game list!
you can technically play 'most' rift exclusive games on vive and 'most' vive games on rift... the only limitations being that some rift games might use functions the vive controllers don't have (IE capacitive buttons for pointing) or some vive games needing huge roomspace that rift can't do as easily.. but as a rift user I haven't run into any problems with this at all

So you think rift has the most "universal" appeal? That's kind of my apprehension to getting involved is everything seems proprietary to me....I've never been an xobx or PS guy just for that reason!

So with Re Vive you can play games that are on the oculus store on the HTC, hopefully they don’t block it again like they did in the past.

I do not think there are any games that Oculus cannot play that are on Steam. Well besides Bethesda games and the community worked around that.

I don’t know about the universal appeal, I think more brand/price preference. When they both released Vive was more expensive with controllers but it didn’t take Oculus long to workout their controllers and light house issues (going off forums here). Then the Oculus was just cheaper than its counterpart (price wise).

The only thing I would point out is that Vive has a new upgrades headset coming out.

Last edited:
And you can play them all on Windows mr as well (revive works the same). At current prices I still think that's the way to go. The HP windows mr headset is $175 cheaper than the rift. I think the rift is a little better, but not $175 worth. I'm tempted to grab one so I have a backup.

One thing to consider is that you can get away with lower system specs with the rift due it's reprojection options. But, being [H], going vive and getting the updated headset would be the [H] way. That's paying over 2x (4x vs windows mr) for a marginal improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

HP Mixed Reality headset is a great beginner headset. Thats what I use, just be sure to install the WMR beta for steam.

Back