Entry Level Power Supply Roundup @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Entry Level Power Supply Roundup - Not everyone needs 1200 honking watts of power sitting in their new computer build. Not much has changed there. But what has changed is the enthusiast brands of power supplies that will now occupy the entry level PSU space. We have a few PSUs for you today that will not break the bank.

When looking for an “entry level” power supply that can put up “enthusiast level” quality of performance there are only two real choices from today's units. The Xigmatek NRP-PC501 and Corsair CX400W represent the brands well in this lower price and lower power bracket. In putting up the unit’s significantly better performances these two do also command a bit of a premium price compared to the two failing units today, but don't let that get in the way. Unlike those less expensive units these two don't suck wind while trying to keep up with their branding.

Thanks for the great review. I always love the reviews with the biggest, most advanced PSU's, but these ones are more useful. It's amazing the amount of crap pushed out in the low end market, it's good to have a review to point to when building a low end system or helping someone on a budget.

Keep up the good work!

Good to see that Corsair still is high quality in all of their PSU's....and Rosewill has and always will be...CRAP.

A good read.
I've picked up a CX400 for my file server. I especially like it because it has 6 sata connectors without the use of any adapters.

I love these reviews of "lower end" units. While high end stuff is exciting, these are more affordable to the masses.

I have to say that low end reviews are my favorite with power supplies. There is always a chance something will blow up, so keep it up. Next time find something that is so bad at regulation that it will explode. Also don't forget to video tape it.:)

I always like these reviews. While not flashy or anything, they are very useful in winnowing out the crud. Besides, I'm more likely to be able to afford something at this end, rather than the $300 dollar end.

An excellent review, I definitely find the low-end PPU reviews to be more interesting. Glad to see Corsair keep it up...I've yet to see them release a sub par PPU.

Thank you for confirming my gut instincts about the Corsair, Rosewill RP500-2 and the Coolermaster PSUs. :)

Great work! This sort of review is really helpful to the masses.

But I'm a little sad nothing blew up. I've got a couple of Allied units I could send you if you want to do a "magic blue smoke review special."

Needs a BURN logo for ones that died during testing.

svivcyeu023lzc276k97.png

Define "entry level power supply" kinda lost on this one...

I'm suprized you guys didn't toss in a 500W Antec Earthwatts 80+ in the mix. Good little PSU--even comes with a 8pin ATX connector. Question: Does [H] consider 500W or less "entry level"?

What? No sparks and fire shooting out the back?

Kidding. Though it'd still be awesome. Good read nonetheless. I'm actually interested in seeing what is good in the lower end market as everyone asks me what would be good for that segment.

Needs a BURN logo for ones that died during testing.
I like that BURN logo :D

The two group regulated Corsair/Xigmatek didn't do well in load-regulation tests. The best group-regulated design in this regard should be... Enhance ATX-02xx series? Maybe.
Spectre you should've added CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 460W and Antec EA500D into this test ;)

I like that BURN logo :D

The two group regulated Corsair/Xigmatek didn't do well in load-regulation tests. The best group-regulated design in this regard should be... Enhance ATX-02xx series? Maybe.

I have one coming up, it was just too late for the roundup.

Spectre you should've added CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 460W and Antec EA500D into this test ;)

Wish I had the time to do more but for the page hits it just doesn't make sense to do lots of these types.

Superb review.
Its nice there are some decent cheaper options with your seal of approval.

I have one coming up, it was just too late for the roundup.

Wish I had the time to do more but for the page hits it just doesn't make sense to do lots of these types.

I was wondering about that, its a nice review and all that (all of H PSU reviews are excellent) but I could have told you some of the results without the test, Corsair does not make crap psu ever, and all the Xigmatek psu I have seen are pretty good (I can't say all, have only seen a few reviews) cheap and good psu are pretty few and there are only few that I could think of that I would buy.

Still it is damn nice to have the [H]ard facts to show. and it is nice to have referenced to find what your bang for the buck is.

Xigmatek NRP-PC501 is not sold in the US

I work for a Xigmatek reseller and we cannt even get them, so review of a product that isnt even sold in the US yet is kinda mute, but I'm glad Xigmatek is doing well, its one of our favorites.

Nice. I like the budget reviews because 90% don't need a kilowatt psu in the first place.

Back