Enemy Territory: Quake Wars demo coming Monday

How in the sam hill do I adjust the graphics options and keyboard stuff? Nothing of the sort is in my options in the game :eek: !

Cox PHX doesn't exactly have the best track record for me either, so i'm with you there.

I forgot to start my download for the demo this morning...that means more waiting when i get home. :mad:

I have no complaints for Cox Phx. My 12/1 has always been there.

Are the posted commands to fix the issue?

The posted commands essentially "completely unlocks" the FPS. The game will draw frames as fast as your system can handle it. Using those settings, my FPS usually hovers around 60, but sometimes goes as high as 90 and sometimes drops into the 20s. That's with everything maxed out at 1440x900.

maxfps 0 tells it there is no maxfps
timingmethod 0 tells it to draw as many as possible, other settings are 1 and 2.
Read the official forum for details on what they mean.

ATi users need a hotfix, found here.

Hope that helps :)

Actually I think that hotfix is just for R600 users. I was running cat 6.8 and got an opengl error too. Installed cat 6.9 and it works fine.

These just go straight into console?

Yeah straight into the console. You can put a seta in front too and add it to your ini.

Incubus jetpack + rocket launcher soldier = most gaming fun I've had in recent memory. Just hopping around making life hell for the poor (tasty) humans, dismounting just long enough to send some HE death down range before getting back on the bounce.

I'll buy it at launch.

There is no Advanced... I just get a screen with Simple and Interface stuff.

It's there plain as day.

Click options. Then click "settings" ON THE TOP, not the tab.

After you click settings, then you'll see an advanced tab.

The demo lasted about 30 minutes and everyone on Teamspeak (15 people) were uninstalling it. What was ID thinking??? The game reminds me of deathmatch games from 2001 mixed with the most basic elements of Battlefield 2142. Some people in our squad were saying it was the worst let down they have ever seen in PC gaming.:eek:

Im having a blast playing ET:QW.

Although im having some trouble using the icarus how do you fly up and down?

Ah ok thanks.

Also im so glad to see the next step in the quake series stay true to speed, accuracy, and a true FPS. I feel like im in a DM but its team based....oh and there are missions!.

Well i played BF2 and just hated it the maps were too big and if you had a server that had only 8 people then good luck finding each other for some play. Oh and the bugs.

Anyways im running vista and the ET:QW is running great.

And for me when ever a new quake game comes out i put all the settings low for maximum speed and FPS. Usually means the game is gonna look ugly, but for me the game still looks good going in max fps mode.

Really cant wait for this game to be realeased 10/2 is too long to wait :mad: .

Anyways the demo = good now only if we could bring on the gibs!

For frame rate issues, like frame rate which is obviously too low, and bad performance despite a high frame rate (jittery/jerky performance)

open notepad and enter these lines:

com_unlockfps 1
com_unlock_timingmethod 0
com_unlock_maxfps 0

save this file as autoexec.cfg and put it into the /base/ folder

This will remove the frame rate limit and stop trying to force your frame rate to be the same as the tick rate. It's completely and utterly stupid we have to do shit like this just to get good performance on a high end PC but there we go, nevertheless.

The demo lasted about 30 minutes and everyone on Teamspeak (15 people) were uninstalling it. What was ID thinking??? The game reminds me of deathmatch games from 2001 mixed with the most basic elements of Battlefield 2142. Some people in our squad were saying it was the worst let down they have ever seen in PC gaming.:eek:

That's pretty sad. If you only played it for 30 minutes, I guarantee you barely scratched the surface of the game. I doubt any of you knew what was going on. Yeah the combat is fast, frantic, and requires some skill. That's the ET style. If your friends were that disappointed, I don't know what they were expecting ? It's not BF3. Get over it.

Everyone has their opinion and some may not like it. I don't play Counter Strike, never got into it, but I still recognize it's a good game. Mark my words. ET:QW will easily get 8s and 9s review scores. The worst let down ever seen in PC gaming ? LMFAO :p

Your description sounds good to me. Plus, I turn voice chat off in every game I play, I don't need pre-teens complaining while I'm trying to have fun and form an opinion on a game.

Your description sounds good to me. Plus, I turn voice chat off in every game I play, I don't need pre-teens complaining while I'm trying to have fun and form an opinion on a game.

QW doesn't come with VOIP

For frame rate issues, like frame rate which is obviously too low, and bad performance despite a high frame rate (jittery/jerky performance)

open notepad and enter these lines:

com_unlockfps 1
com_unlock_timingmethod 0
com_unlock_maxfps 0

save this file as autoexec.cfg and put it into the /base/ folder

This will remove the frame rate limit and stop trying to force your frame rate to be the same as the tick rate. It's completely and utterly stupid we have to do shit like this just to get good performance on a high end PC but there we go, nevertheless.

Thanks! I was wondering why the game ran like doodoo

It's there plain as day.

Click options. Then click "settings" ON THE TOP, not the tab.

After you click settings, then you'll see an advanced tab.

Wow, the text was barely visible even when I knew where to look for it... and with a whole window with the options for each settings area, it appeared it was supposed to be in that window, not at the top after the first Settings click. HORRIBLE menu layout. I did play it a couple of hours last night, and it got boring quickly :(. Very linear, repetitive, "empty"-feeling with 20+ players in a server, and the weapons/fighting/etc. wasn't engaging/fun to do. Vehicles seemed "meh" as a Strogg other than the jetpack.

Wow, the text was barely visible even when I knew where to look for it... and with a whole window with the options for each settings area, it appeared it was supposed to be in that window, not at the top after the first Settings click. HORRIBLE menu layout. I did play it a couple of hours last night, and it got boring quickly :(. Very linear, repetitive, "empty"-feeling with 20+ players in a server, and the weapons/fighting/etc. wasn't engaging/fun to do. Vehicles seemed "meh" as a Strogg other than the jetpack.

Whoops...did I forget to mention how to actually FIND those options? Glad your found em though.
The action gets better when there are 32 players with good teams. I hate when nobody tries to repair the MCP or hack the shield generator. Yet everyone wonders why they lose. :rolleyes: Thats when i switch back to strogg and its fish in a barrell. Its great when the action is crazy and it takes 15 minutes to get the MCP through the tunnel though. Field Ops are great if you find a good postion and bomb away. I didn't have much time on the demo...can't seem to find my favorite servers yet. I'll probably pick this up, I'm about due for a new game to play.

I played it, it's a lot of fun. Q4 engine = runs pretty schpankity on older hardware.

If I can find the time between crysis and world in conflict, I'll give this one a go.

Indeed, the game is actually quite boring and simplistic. when you actually get a team that really wants the objectives, they are unstoppable. When you get a team where everybody is just wandering and death-matching, then you get frozen at some capture point like the MPC.

There is no feeling of "hitting" somebody with your weapons, you just spray and pray...there's little satisfaction in a kill. Is there anyway to replenish ammo aside from a medic?

I think it's just that Valley is a poor map to release, it's too one-directional and there's really very little to no variation on what gameplay you can try. It's like Unreal Tournament and Assault mode but the maps in QW are too big and spread out so you don't get the feeling of an epic push/pull battle going on. The game seriously needs 64 players or something. A defending teams needs swarms of attackers to mow down. An attacking team needs large numbers to inch forward.

Otherwise, technically, the game runs perfectly smooth @ 1680x1050 max settings (well, AA is on 2x) on my not so fast hardware. 3200+ X2 and x1950 Pro.

This sucks so much. Since I heard of this i've wanted it to be good, and it promised everything I wanted: proper objectives that need to be taken, rather than the flag circus of BF games. Vehicles with zones of destructability, sci-fi weaponry not constrained by "real-world" fanatics' obsessions, and so forth.

Instead, I get a haphazard mess of people hopping about like their parents have been dosing them up to the eyeballs with e-numbers their entire lives, with pretty much zero fluidity or teamwork. The engineer/spec-ops roles as "critical components of the war machine" stuff has been diluted to the "plant anti-personell/vehicle weaponry here and fuck off" stage, and I can only get sound in my left fucking ear on a 5.1 speaker set-up (probably my system, to be fair). Not only that, but I can hear people firing as though right beside me, when in fact they're a speck on the horizon. Seriously, how the bleeding Jesus am I hearing the hammer strike when they're half a bastard kilometre away?

Seriously disappointed. This promised the solution to everything that got on my tits about the BF series, but instead just showed me that when a game appeals to someone whose online alias is "[DDR] SWAT-OFFICER" - yes, I am very bloody serious, the pubescent invertebrate was quite happily raping away at our spawn the last twenty minutes, so i'm sure I remembered the silly bastard's name right - there is only one conclusion that can be drawn about the game.

give it some time...
there is an influx of... for lack of a better work... N00b's who
1) don't know anything abt ET gameplay
2) most definitly have no experience at this game/level
3) are facing veterens of the beta's

Lets put it this way.. on a good nights as a strogg contructor I can get ~400XP in a 3round game. Last night got >600XP since i just n00b-farmed the newbie GDF players...

cruel yes, but whatelse could I do, for the last few months I have been facing player that know the usual strogg tactics and counter them and can get the bridge contructed by getting the classes that is best for the team. we now have ppl that are wanting to try out the classes for themselves so you get a load of soldiers or field-ops and shad-loads of snipers!!! and not alot of engineers (which you do need!!!)

give it some time, this game has TEAMWORK I can assure you, but you need a good team, something that pub's can suffer. Take this demo period to get use to classes and gameplay and play some more, you will find a good server ;)

Instead, I get a haphazard mess of people hopping about like their parents have been dosing them up to the eyeballs with e-numbers their entire lives, with pretty much zero fluidity or teamwork.

Yeah, what is with all these stupid fuckers who haven't figured out the gameplay by now!? I mean, it has been out for a whole day!

Give it time. Enemy Territory had a steep learning curve and Quake Wars is even more complicated. By launch, I expect there will be a solid core of competent players who can push an offense quite well. In the meantime, I'll happily keep on bombing the merry hell outta people with my lovely lovely Incubus. People WILL learn to look up occasionally.

Something that just occured to me: can you kill someone by dropping an Incubus on them? I'm going to have to try that tonight.

Last night as an Engineer I single handedly constructed the entire bridge in one shot (it is possible, you just have to get there FAST, as in land on a Husky and hit the turbo), then I drove the MCP in myself (I was stopped and killed once, then I fixed it and got it into position) and finally I switched to Covert-Ops and hacked the shield generator. The sad fact is, I did this all in one game, and I only briefly played beta 2 and never played Enemy Territory.

Also, I ranked up from Private to Master Sargent over the course of my first two games, playing Engineer almost the entire time. It's easy to dominate when everyone else is standing around going "HOW DO I SHOT ROCKET?!!?!"

Yes, there is definitely a large number of n00bs about. I like this game quite a bit, and I'm sure it will be more enjoyable after it's been out for a month or two.

Yeah, I keep hearing that point: the "potential" for team-work, given you're playing in a team and not in a public server. However, i'm not such a sad-act that I take myself so seriously as to feel obliged to join a clan to enjoy a game, i'd rather play something I can dip into and enjoy without clueless fuckwits milling about or score-hungry adolescents raping away at the spawn.

Invalid argument. Sorry.

Yeah, I keep hearing that point: the "potential" for team-work, given you're playing in a team and not in a public server. However, i'm not such a sad-act that I take myself so seriously as to feel obliged to join a clan to enjoy a game, i'd rather play something I can dip into and enjoy without clueless fuckwits milling about or score-hungry adolescents raping away at the spawn.

Invalid argument. Sorry.

Then this apparently just isn't the right game for you. Hold out for Unreal Tournament 3. UT games in the past have been much better for pick-up-and-play than any solely team-oriented game.

give it some time, this game has TEAMWORK I can assure you, but you need a good team, something that pub's can suffer. Take this demo period to get use to classes and gameplay and play some more, you will find a good server ;)

Excellent post. This game thrives on teamwork. But the players need the first clue about how to play. When the first beta released, it was the same way. Give it some time and even a pub server's "pick up and play" can give a worthwhile, exciting match. The rock paper scissors countering between the classes, vehicles, and deployables is excellent. The few random games I've popped into during the demo have been lackluster, except for yesterday morning when I played on id's server with experienced players.

I agree, by the time the game ships there will be a more substantial talent pool to play against. If you're playing against clueless noobs, it may seem too simple and straightforward. It's pretty sad now. I can fly a tormentor and rape GDF at the bridge the entire match. Nobody knows to deploy an AVT. The soliders were taking random potshots at me without waiting for a "lock on". Simple indeed. :rolleyes:

Anyone else not able to alt-tab?

Edit: google says try alt-enter or something to get windowed mode

weird.

I wouldn't expect a decent level of teamwork in the demo until people have had time to get to grips with the whole system, and the objectives of that specific map, it won't happen overnight.

This however does offer an opportunity to have a go at the objectives yourself, grab the engineer, construct the bridge, and get the MCP to the base, it can be done largely on your own against a newbie team who is content with playing deathmatch style.

I'm enjoying the demo, the instant hit sniper on the GDF side might be a mistake, I've only been playing a few hours and can already hit about 80% of the people I shoot at below 200m and above 200m it's probably about 50%, which is probably why there's so many snipers about.

I'm enjoying the demo, the instant hit sniper on the GDF side might be a mistake, I've only been playing a few hours and can already hit about 80% of the people I shoot at below 200m and above 200m it's probably about 50%, which is probably why there's so many snipers about.

The railgun is equally so for the Strogg...except the big red line gives away your position...luckily nobody seems to pick up on it and I've been able to prevent the GDF from building the bridge just by icarusing to the mountainside and railing everybody who goes near the construction boxes. Sometimes they get through if idiots take all the icaruses first. Then I rail them from the mountain on the other side as they come through the tunnel or foolishly line up in that window in the little shack...that's all useless though if your team constructors don't build anti-vehicle turrets and just let the MPC waltz in.

People are definitely learning. I played a couple close, hard fought rounds last night. Hacking the shield generator has to be the hardest part of Valley, especially if the humans aren't grouping up well. Two or three semicompentent engineers can do the bridge/MCP push even if the rest of the team is busy wanking around and a single good soldier can plant the charge on the corrupter, but getting a covert to that generator and keeping him alive long enough requires most of the team.

I have a feeling that this game is just going to become more fun as everybody figures it out.

People are definitely learning. I played a couple close, hard fought rounds last night. Hacking the shield generator has to be the hardest part of Valley, especially if the humans aren't grouping up well. Two or three semicompentent engineers can do the bridge/MCP push even if the rest of the team is busy wanking around and a single good soldier can plant the charge on the corrupter, but getting a covert to that generator and keeping him alive long enough requires most of the team.

I have a feeling that this game is just going to become more fun as everybody figures it out.
Well said. The first beta was a crapshoot just like now. Everyone was just trying to figure out wtf was going on and spending time looking over the various unlocks for every class. Once that part settled down, the gameplay got into full swing and it became a lot more fun.

I played one last night with a friend of mine - another beta veteran - and we just absolutely dominated the gdf as strogg. We were far and away the two with the highest xp in the server. On the third map, we tried an experiment and swapped to gdf. GDF won in 10 minutes. That alone should show that people don't know how to play just yet. Give it time and they'll come around.

6 kills in 1 min at 350 meters with the Railgun last night!! w00t :D
Then i got bored and started hacking everything in sight.

Its easy to use the sway to lead or meet your targets.

6 kills in 1 min at 350 meters with the Railgun last night!! w00t :D
Then i got bored and started hacking everything in sight.

Its easy to use the sway to lead or meet your targets.

Yeah, it's just a figure 8 pattern...

Piece of shit game

And its funny its been in making for so long and EA beat them to it by reskinning BF2 to 2142

I hate those kinds of futuristic games. Could not play for more then 10 minutes

Back