• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Enemy Territory Quake Wars Beta

I thought about the SLI not working thing...

How can you use the beta excuse when the game is slated to launch in a month? And that's aside from the poor netcode, awful sound, and sub par game play in general that they need to fix.

This is the same thing as Q4 but on a larger scale. And saying this is a better game than CS just proves that you really don't understand what makes a good multiplayer game.
 
Anyone else get CRAP performance? I get 20-30 fps in large battles with 16x aa on :( Second fastest video setup money can buy and it struggles running an ugly game on an old engine. Pretty sad.

Is your SLI even working?
 
I thought about the SLI not working thing...

How can you use the beta excuse when the game is slated to launch in a month? And that's aside from the poor netcode, awful sound, and sub par game play in general that they need to fix.

This is the same thing as Q4 but on a larger scale. And saying this is a better game than CS just proves that you really don't understand what makes a good multiplayer game.

The game has been bumped back a month at a time for quite a while now.
The true release date is still up in the air.

What game style you prefer is a matter of opinion.
I've always been a battlefield fan myself. I simply can't stand not having vehicles.
The" spray and pray" fast-paced gameplay of Counter Strike just can't keep me interested for a long period of time.
 
Is your SLI even working?

Yeah I get nearly 64k in 03, 125+ constant DX9 in cod2, and 170+ in css with 16x aa.

BTW CSS (at a higher than 24/7 office pub level) is 100% NOT "spray and pray" and is also a rather slow paced game. Thanks to the great map layouts and the buy system, CS is one of the most strategic and complex FPS games ever made.

Also I'm not trying to say QW is bad. I think it has some real potential if they straighten out the sound and net code and manage to make the game feel a little more solid. Without vehicles I don't doubt it could be as good a game or better than ET.
 
Yeah I get nearly 64k in 03, 125+ constant DX9 in cod2, and 170+ in css with 16x aa.

BTW CSS (at a higher than 24/7 office pub level) is 100% NOT "spray and pray" and is also a rather slow paced game. Thanks to the great map layouts and the buy system, CS is one of the most strategic and complex FPS games ever made.

Also I'm not trying to say QW is bad. I think it has some real potential if they straighten out the sound and net code and manage to make the game feel a little more solid. Without vehicles I don't doubt it could be as good a game or better than ET.
HUH?!?
 
No but considering I ran 4x aa on quake 4 engine with an x1900 I figure 16x shouldn't break a sweat for a setup with 4x the graphics power. Hell CSS gets 100+ fps with a single 8800 and has better graphics to boot!

CSS does not look better than ETQW. Furthermore, CSS has to render MUCH smaller environments anyway. Lower graphics + Smaller environments = much easier on hardware. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

CS is one of the most strategic and complex FPS games ever made.


HAHAHAHA!

Too each his own, but I can't help but laugh at that.
 
For people with nvidia cards suffering from poor performance, make sure you "hardware acceleration" set to "single monitor performance" for ET:QW. This is in the "manage 3d settings" page of the nvidia control panel. There will already be an application profile for ET:QW in any vaguely recent nvidia driver.
 
CSS does not look better than ETQW. Furthermore, CSS has to render MUCH smaller environments anyway. Lower graphics + Smaller environments = much easier on hardware. You're comparing apples to oranges here.




HAHAHAHA!

Too each his own, but I can't help but laugh at that.

Have you ever watched a competitive CS match? Or read anything about the game and it's community outside of pubs?
 
Have you ever watched a competitive CS match? Or read anything about the game and it's community outside of pubs?

I've gotta agree with you. Just go watch some of the professional league play demos and videos that have been released over the years for 1.6 and Source.

CSS does not look better than ETQW. Furthermore, CSS has to render MUCH smaller environments anyway. Lower graphics + Smaller environments = much easier on hardware. You're comparing apples to oranges here.

Depends what you mean by better. CS:S has more realistic player models, less choppy and jittery animations, better use of shaders and better HDR implementation. QW has higher poly models and probably higher resolution textures as well as better shadows. Unfortunately, it all pales in comparison to the fact that the models on the Doom 3 engine always have and always will look like shiny plastic action figures.
 
Have you ever watched a competitive CS match? Or read anything about the game and it's community outside of pubs?

Competition has nothing to do with it, CSS is a very simple game, and looks even simpler compared to a game like Quake Wars. Normally I wouldn't compare apples to oranges, but since it was brought into a thread about Quake Wars, why not?

Just because you can develop strategies, and the game can be very competitive, doesn't mean that at it's core CSS is "one of the most strategic and complex FPS games ever made". The game is actually very simple. It's weapon mechanics are standard and conventional, it's objectives are always the same, all the players are identical, and it just boils down to attack and defend.

The difference between CSS and Quake Wars is that CSS is very focused, and doesn't leave much room for exploration or improvisation. Once you know a map, you realize there's only a few optimal routes to take, and a few worthwhile spots to camp. The objectives constrain things further, by concentrating forces in a few specific areas, making certain areas of the map obvious choke points. This isn't too say the game is bad, it's not. It's a well put together game and my only fault with it is that it isn't my cup of tea, but as I said, to each his own.

On the other end of the spectrum you have a game like Battlefield, which doesn't have rigidly designed objectives or clear paths through the map, and therefore is a much more free-flowing, sandbox style game. The upside is that there are less chokepoints, more room for improvisation, and a more dynamic gameplay experience that can shift at a moment's notice, and changes every time you play. The downside is that with no clear path through such a large map, just flags scattered every which way, you can often get lost, end up miles away from the action, or not be in a position to best help your team.

Quake Wars is somewhere inbetween, and for me it's the best of both worlds. You have the rigid objectives, the things that must be completed for the game to progress, but you also have the free form gameplay, the large maps, the vehicles, and the variety of weaponry and abilites from Battlefield. This is a happy medium for me, because I liked aspects of both CS and BF, but disliked a lot of the others. WARNING: Abbreviation Time! For someone who prefers CS, QW embodies all they dislike about BF, and for someone who prefers BF, QW embodies everything they dislike abut CS. But for someone like me, who ended up not feeling either, QW is the happy medium. All that's left now is polish.

The way I see it, CSS is like a sport. The game itself isn't complex, it's the level of skill that's brought to the table that makes it so. As an FPS CSS is very simple, just like Soccer is essentially a bunch of people running around kicking a ball, CSS is just people shooting eachother in small environments. Neither game is inherently complex, it's the ways people play them that makes them so. If a bunch of newbs play CSS, it looks like a sloppy fragfest but everyone can grasp the concept and every option open to them within 10 minutes. If a bunch of newbs play QW, it will still look like a sloppy fragfest, but know one will have a firm grasp on everything you can do until they've played for hours.

Depends what you mean by better. CS:S has more realistic player models, less choppy and jittery animations, better use of shaders and better HDR implementation. QW has higher poly models and probably higher resolution textures as well as better shadows. Unfortunately, it all pales in comparison to the fact that the models on the Doom 3 engine always have and always will look like shiny plastic action figures.

More realistic player models? I'll give you that, since Quake Wars takes place in the future and half of the models are of an alien "corpse race", but they don't look better at all. I find CSS's artistic direction bland and uninspring. I always had trouble picking my model because it was between "generic terrorist number 1" and "generic counter-terrorist 2". They were cliche, and didn't have an ounce of artistic flair to them. QW's models are FAR more detailed, and have a very distinct style.

Regardless, comparing a one map beta's graphics to that of a full fledged retail game is pointless. The jittery animations will probably go away before retail and I heard HDR might be implemented as well. Comparing both games now is jumping the gun, but if you look at QW's 8800 launch event footage it looks FAR better than CSS has ever dreamed of looking.
 
. Thanks to the great map layouts and the buy system, CS is one of the most strategic and complex FPS games ever made.

.

I haven't played QW yet (aside from Quakeworld.... ahh the memories), but I'd just like to chime in here and say:

AHAHAHAHHAHAH!

Seriously,

hahahahah.

You can develop strategies for any similar game, it doesn't mean it's the most complex game ever made.
 
QW is going to be a good game eventually. It is akin to BF2 when it first came out atm. Buggy netcode and worthless sound with specific performance issues. However, the gameplay is good. You are constantly in the shit so to speak and I like that.

I did turn the sound off lol. Just can't stand that and the Cyclops animation is LAAAGGGY. Still fun though.
 
Yes because it feels much more open, has vehicles, and diversity.

I'm confused: by no means do I intend to infer that CS:S is a good, non-"spray and pray" game, but if your primary issue with CS is its run-and-gun element, how can you possibly like quake wars? I't quake 4 with vehicles, for the love of god.
 
I'm confused: by no means do I intend to infer that CS:S is a good, non-"spray and pray" game, but if your primary issue with CS is its run-and-gun element, how can you possibly like quake wars? I't quake 4 with vehicles, for the love of god.
run and gun = soldiers/oppressors(i think thats what they are) but usually if you play a different class it stops being run and gun...try being a medic and doing that, not fun.
 
run and gun = soldiers/oppressors(i think thats what they are) but usually if you play a different class it stops being run and gun...try being a medic and doing that, not fun.

Well, sure enough, but it doesn't stop other people from running about like ADHD-suffering pre-pubescents. I mean, people play CS by sitting at the back of maps with sniper rifles or watching doorways with shotguns - they're not running and gunning, but still you classify the game as run-and-gun, right? I'm just trying to figure out the distinction: I mean, I don't see people running about in fast-forward constantly hopping in CS, so i'm confused as how QW isn't "run and gun".
 
cs is not run and gun. seldom do you get any kills doing that.

Unless you use an M3. ;)

Anyway, that was basically my point. CS is certainly not tactical, but nor is it as bad as QW, with people running about like a bunch of special needs given weapons.
 
Since when is moving fast = prebuscent/special needs/whatever? It takes more skill to aim and react while moving quickly than it does while crouching behind a corner.

Also, you're implying that fast movement makes QW less tactical. I can't speak of QW since it's still an infant in beta, but ET, which has very similar movement, is much more tactical than bf/cs/dod.
 
Unless you use an M3. ;)

Anyway, that was basically my point. CS is certainly not tactical, but nor is it as bad as QW, with people running about like a bunch of special needs given weapons.

thats true. i use one when i feel like being suicidal haha

btw...i hate to say it but this update made the game really laggy. they must've done something to the netcode that screwed it up. anyone else getting bad lag?
 
The update made my QW worse. Aiming is horrible, the animations don't follow the movements of the players and the audio is still poo.

First person to PM me gets my key. I'm out. No humor allowed.

EDIT: Key be gone.
 
fully? my aim has gone up? I can actually target someone right in the cross-hairs an kill them?

but anyway if you are giving up yr key I know a few Gentoo users who really want to give it a go
 
The update made my QW worse. Aiming is horrible, the animations don't follow the movements of the players and the audio is still poo.

First person to PM me gets my key. I'm out. I think I'd rather have my toe slowly crushed by an anvil than play this. Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme. :D

i hope you don't quit that easily in real life ;) :p
 
Since when is moving fast = prebuscent/special needs/whatever? It takes more skill to aim and react while moving quickly than it does while crouching behind a corner.

Also, you're implying that fast movement makes QW less tactical. I can't speak of QW since it's still an infant in beta, but ET, which has very similar movement, is much more tactical than bf/cs/dod.

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Holding down sprint and jumping incessantly is not tactical. It might be skilful to be able to pull of shots whilst doing so, but if that's what you want, there's stuff like QIII and UT04. There's no need to have this feature in a game that would otherwise be very strong as far as infantry combat went.
 
6 hours was enough for me. Besides, I think that's why they call it a "game". I cannot be entertained by this beta.

Of course I quit that easily in real life. I quit like 20 years ago. I'm actually dead now. Not breathing or eating or heart beating or anything.

I hope you don't think gaming has anything to do with real life besides entertainment.

no but the point of a beta test is to help find bugs for developers. that is why they put these tests out, so normal end users can find more bugs in a shorter time. developers even say its "free QA testing". obviously its not in this case unless you were lucky enough to be one of the free users to get a key. sure it helps to be entertained by the beta...but instead of quitting how bout you report bugs to help them make a better game? in that case you WOULD be helping in real life wouldn't you?
 
How about you force someone else to play it and report bugs? I don't wanna. And instead of being a toad and sitting on the key I thought I would help someone else out. THAT is real life. Ugh... this conversation sucks. LOL

:rolleyes: oh well. one less sour person to post in this thread :p:eek:
 
'Zactly. And one more person who may actually want to dink around with the beta. Wow, what a coincidence! It's almost like you were angry for nothing... :D

you actually think i was angry? sorry to disappoint you but i wasn't.

anyway back on topic after this....
 
Back
Top