Enemy Territory Quake Wars Beta

FalseGod

Limp Gawd
Well, since the DB got rolled back and Kyle says it won't be restored, I wanted to start a new thread about Quake Wars Beta.

I played it quite a bit this weekend after finally getting a key and like it well enough. I am not a huge fan of battlefield type games, but I am enjoying myself well enough so far. It is definitely a beta, and needs quite a bit more work, but the potential is there.

Any thoughts?

Looking forward to this title, shame i missed the beta key give away.
I also like the fact that there is no NDA and people are posting screenies and gameplay vids all over the net.

I would have to agree. The potential is there, but honestly, it seems a little unpolished at the moment.

My biggest complaints are with the weapons and vehicles. I find I have a hard time hitting things with the normal weapons. I don't know if I just need to get used to the spread pattern or what, but even bursting I find it difficult. Also, the damage seems to be very low to me. I don't know if that's just because I'm used to games with higher damage weaponry, but it seems to take 5 or 6 assault rifle shots to kill a strogg.

The vehicles are hard to pilot. The controls aren't very responsive and the cyclops in particular is quite difficult because there's no HUD so I don't know which way the legs are facing in relation to the turret. It's not a huge issue, but my guess is that the vehicles would get used quite a bit more with that simple addition.

Overall I like the game, it just needs some finishing touches. The lack of teamwork and maps are both a byproduct of the brand new beta and should iron themselves out by release, but I'd have to say this game has a ton of potential - I just want to see it live up to what it's capable of.

I'm a huge fan of BF2 and unfortunately the only other team MP FPS game experience I have is Tribes 2 and CS:S. Now for the good/bad IMHO -

Good: Graphics are good and can run on my lowly 7800GT, specific objectives keep ya focused, interface/presentation is already polished and easy to use, variety of kits/vehicles/stationaries keeps the interest level, weapon accuracy is better than BF2 (joy!)

Bad: Audio is a bit weak and "lifeless", Actual movement and aiming is a little choppy (not graphically or latency, it's tough to explain but it just ain't right), No stamina - you can run and jump (while shooting) until the cows come home so I'm not sure why they gave you an option to walk/run, Initial level load time is excruciatingly slow (even slower than BF2's)

Overall I think the game has a LOAD of potential. Even as a noob into this game I'm finding myself having fun. The more I (and you) learn about how to play the game correctly as a team it'll get even more entertaining. Hopefully they'll release a final demo that mimics the retail version so I don't have to "buy and try".

EDIT: Hey - it's a beta. Some things will be unpolished but I hope they make the major changes that need to be made before gold time.

most of my points are covered already, as already said the performance is great. i have everything maxed AFx8, no AA, 1680x1050 and it runs at 30fps. but I DO NOT understand that cap, they need to take that off. the sound is just ridiculous, the first time i played it i though something happened to my PC, the gunshots sound like really loud staplers its pretty bad. the mission based stuff is fun so im guessing there will be a lot of clan based stuff. any1 up for a [H] clan? lastly there has to be more than just one map!!! I know its a BETA but still, need a bigger piece of the cake to judge it.

I would have to agree. The potential is there, but honestly, it seems a little unpolished at the moment.

My biggest complaints are with the weapons and vehicles. I find I have a hard time hitting things with the normal weapons. I don't know if I just need to get used to the spread pattern or what, but even bursting I find it difficult. Also, the damage seems to be very low to me. I don't know if that's just because I'm used to games with higher damage weaponry, but it seems to take 5 or 6 assault rifle shots to kill a strogg.

The vehicles are hard to pilot. The controls aren't very responsive and the cyclops in particular is quite difficult because there's no HUD so I don't know which way the legs are facing in relation to the turret. It's not a huge issue, but my guess is that the vehicles would get used quite a bit more with that simple addition.

Overall I like the game, it just needs some finishing touches. The lack of teamwork and maps are both a byproduct of the brand new beta and should iron themselves out by release, but I'd have to say this game has a ton of potential - I just want to see it live up to what it's capable of.
Unpolished... like a beta would normally be...

There is a HUD. There are two green arrows showing you which direction your turret is pointing and which direction your legs a pointing.

Aside from that I agree with the general consensus. There's a huge amount of potential, it just needs a lot of bugfixes and polishing.

The vehicles are hard to pilot. The controls aren't very responsive and the cyclops in particular is quite difficult because there's no HUD so I don't know which way the legs are facing in relation to the turret.

Actually there are two green arrows in the HUD when you use the Cyclops (or any ground vehicle with a turret for that matter). The bigger one is the direction your legs are facing and the smaller one is the direction your turret is facing.

If you are using any of the other views besides the cockpit view the green arrows don't show.

i've been playing the shit out of the beta, and there a couple points raised in this post that needs fixing

1.There is a hud when you're in the walker so that you know where your legs are in relation to the guns.
There two little green arrows, one is for your legs, one is for your guns.
(this same hud is in every vehicle that has a turret)

2.The game isn't capped at 30fps
http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042

While we have the attention of people who have played the beta i was wondering how many players are in the maps? Max of 24 or is it higher?

Hmm... I must have thought the vehicle HUD was part of the detail of the cockpit (which is excellent btw). I'll have to take another peek tonight. Thanks.

While we have the attention of people who have played the beta i was wondering how many players are in the maps? Max of 24 or is it higher?

Yeah, it's limited to 24 players, but the respawns are quick enough that it feels like a lot more. There were times playing in a 64 man BF2 server that weren't as action packed as 24 man ETQW. The objective based combat really helps solidify teams at specific places so combat isn't all spread out everywhere.

Yeah, it's limited to 24 players, but the respawns are quick enough that it feels like a lot more. There were times playing in a 64 man BF2 server that weren't as action packed as 24 man ETQW. The objective based combat really helps solidify teams at specific places so combat isn't all spread out everywhere.

Not only that but the map is really small compared to most BF2 maps. This is only one map so far but I'm assuming to keep the battles intense they can't get much bigger.

Open console (ctrl-alt-~) and type com_unlockFPS 1 to go over 30

I'm trying to like the game since it's so highly anticipated, but I still can't really get into it...feels like the gameplay is broken up in chunks that certain elements just don't flow well together. I know it's only beta, but seems to me the devs dumbed down the whole freakin' game way too much for console ports, I doubt they can make enough changes before release.

I went into it not really expecting much and was underwhelmed. The graphics were really bad, but I'd seen that from the screen shots, and was hoping the game play would make up for it. Alas, this was not the case. In every catagory, it seemed like BF2142, but worse in every way. And I didn't like BF2142. Even if they manage to fix the awful netcode and iron out all the bugs, I just don't know if there's anything good underneath there. Honestly, I don't think I could have thought of a engine less suited to this genre than the Doom III engine and I think it shows.

I'll try the demo, but I think that I'll stick with BF2 and all it's problems for my battlefield fix.

I went into it not really expecting much and was underwhelmed. The graphics were really bad, but I'd seen that from the screen shots, and was hoping the game play would make up for it. Alas, this was not the case. In every catagory, it seemed like BF2142, but worse in every way. And I didn't like BF2142. Even if they manage to fix the awful netcode and iron out all the bugs, I just don't know if there's anything good underneath there. Honestly, I don't think I could have thought of a engine less suited to this genre than the Doom III engine and I think it shows.

I thought the graphics were pretty decent and was happy that they could run on my average system. It's still beta and maybe they'll push out the release even further into the future to polish the game up. However, I thought Quake 4 looked MUCH better than this beta and Q4 also uses the Doom III engine. Go figure. :confused:

Thanks for the reply, I guess the way the maps are laid out 64 players would be a little tight. The beta map appears quite small aswell.

I thought the graphics were pretty decent and was happy that they could run on my average system. It's still beta and maybe they'll push out the release even further into the future to polish the game up. However, I thought Quake 4 looked MUCH better than this beta and Q4 also uses the Doom III engine. Go figure. :confused:

The graphics aren't horribly bad, I guess, but certainly not better than BF2. The Doom III engine and netcode is more suited to 4 vs 4 DM matches in small, dark, high-tech maps. In other words, the opposite of Quake Wars.

The graphics aren't horribly bad, I guess, but certainly not better than BF2. The Doom III engine and netcode is more suited to 4 vs 4 DM matches in small, dark, high-tech maps. In other words, the opposite of Quake Wars.

We can only hope that they improve on the graphics before release. Like you said, at this point, BF2 graphics are much better. But hey, after 2 years of post-retail work they better be good... lol

They didn't make them any better after the release though. BF2 today looks as good as the pre-release demo did.

Like others have said, of course you can have a great game without the breathtaking graphics. But damn, this is very dissappointing. You wonder sometimes how certain games get SOOOO much hype. Graphics aside, i think the gameplay is also severly lacking. And no ingame voip? Rushed is too easy an excuse. Underdeveloped is the better description.

They didn't make them any better after the release though. BF2 today looks as good as the pre-release demo did.

Supposedly the higher level effects were removed from this beta...

You can see with this video that explosions have shock wave effects, maybe there are some other subtle differences too, like I don't think HDR is enabled in the beta, but it looks like it is in the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-trDO8d1CPQ&mode=related&search=

I have to agree that no in-game voip is a big WTF! How are we supposed to play together as a coordinated team when we have very limited means of communication.

Actually they've made many small graphical improvements that just polished off the look of the game. At some point they fixed a lot of vehicle/player clipping. True they didn't make any core graphical changes but things like this have been added over time:

- Fixed the issue with Pixel Shader 1.4 video cards
- Fixed a bug in terrain rendering with night vision, whereby terrain was still
dark in dark areas.
- Fixed a bug whereby mods that are not bf2 or not xpack permutate shaders
every time a level is loaded.
- Fixed a bug whereby non-xpack mods cannot use xpack shaders.
- Fixed an issue that caused crosshairs to stay on the screen when
switching camera views.
- Fixed a problem with shader caching on client/host : after the first
map in a rotation, shaders would be loaded on the fly during gameplay.
- Fixed a problem that caused environment mapping to not appear on
reflective surfaces.
- LOD distances tweaked on certain objects.
- Red/Blue nametag bug –Fix to the issue where players would show up with the wrong color name tag
- Fixed the issue where a red distance marker appears on the ground
- Fixed the issue that caused players arms to become invisible after switching weapons when using throwable items
- Fixed several rare graphics crashes.

All that stuff added up makes for a good lookin' game. :)

Cripes, back on topic - No in-game VOIP in QW isn't a deal-breaker for me because I almost always use TS or Vent anyway. The problem lies when trying to communicate within pub servers with random people and VOIP definitely needs to be there for that.

This is only one map so far but I'm assuming to keep the battles intense they can't get much bigger.

I've talked with people in the earlier closed beta and they tell me sewer is one of the "medium" sized maps. Some are quite a bit larger and some even smaller.

I've been playing the beta since last week and I'm thoroughly loving it. The graphics are decent but not mindblowing, although I expect them to improve in the retail.

The core gameplay is fantastic. I'm pretty good with all of the vehicles in the beta except for the tormentor which is aptly named. It needs some polishing but I can tell this game will make be very happy. It's frantic and captures the ET feel well. :p

My epic voip thread on the qw forums:

http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2232

Essentially, it was removed for technical reasons, but SD says it is wanting to patch it later. All i have to say is, what a fucking joke. They told us the game was done at the end of 2006 and they have just been tweaking the asymmetrical teams, which is obviously now untrue.

Anyways, teh game is growing on me. Fields ops is just so fucking fun, its silly.

I have to agree that no in-game voip is a big WTF! How are we supposed to play together as a coordinated team when we have very limited means of communication.

Unacceptable IMO. Hopefully its just not in the beta but will be in the final version.

Im glad as well, anyone play with a commander on BF2 via a pubbie with a mic? I don't need someone that sounds like my nephew giving me orders.

Actually they've made many small graphical improvements that just polished off the look of the game. At some point they fixed a lot of vehicle/player clipping. True they didn't make any core graphical changes but things like this have been added over time:

- Fixed the issue with Pixel Shader 1.4 video cards
- Fixed a bug in terrain rendering with night vision, whereby terrain was still
dark in dark areas.
- Fixed a bug whereby mods that are not bf2 or not xpack permutate shaders
every time a level is loaded.
- Fixed a bug whereby non-xpack mods cannot use xpack shaders.
- Fixed an issue that caused crosshairs to stay on the screen when
switching camera views.
- Fixed a problem with shader caching on client/host : after the first
map in a rotation, shaders would be loaded on the fly during gameplay.
- Fixed a problem that caused environment mapping to not appear on
reflective surfaces.
- LOD distances tweaked on certain objects.
- Red/Blue nametag bug –Fix to the issue where players would show up with the wrong color name tag
- Fixed the issue where a red distance marker appears on the ground
- Fixed the issue that caused players arms to become invisible after switching weapons when using throwable items
- Fixed several rare graphics crashes.

All that stuff added up makes for a good lookin' game. :)

Meh, it still looks about the same. Those are just a few bug fixes.

I was the video, but it's not going ot looks good with out a major graphical update. I don't really care about that, it's the game play issues that get me.

It's awful. They went all hyperactive superspastic-style gameplay on it, when I was hoping that it would actually be worth playing. I don't like the "run around looking for bad guys and then just pissing whatever weapons you have at them until one of you dies" approach. Not the 2142 replacement i'd hoped for. Pretty crap, in fact.

I don't like the "run around looking for bad guys and then just pissing whatever weapons you have at them until one of you dies" approach.

Wait a sec - Isn't that the definition of a first person shooter? ROFL

Why? It better not be the "whining kids" argument because there are still plenty of ways to be annoying especially when they spam SSS or whatever...

That's my argument and I'm sticking to it. Whatever they spam is less offensive and annoying to me than a bunch of retards yapping in a public server. Talk about immersion breaking.

The ability to use and coordinate an aftermarket VOIP program is a great litmus test. Any player, clan or competitive server worth anything will have it setup. It might hurt coordination on random pick up games and oh so slightly inconvenience some, but I'm fine with that. Anything to not hear the usual onslaught of racial epithets and juvenile banter.

That's my argument and I'm sticking to it. Whatever they spam is less offensive and annoying to me than a bunch of retards yapping in a public server. Talk about immersion breaking.

The ability to use and coordinate an aftermarket VOIP program is a great litmus test. Any player, clan or competitive server worth anything will have it setup. It might hurt coordination on random pick up games and oh so slightly inconvenience some, but I'm fine with that. Anything to not hear the usual onslaught of racial epithets and juvenile banter.
I understand the argument against it, but I have to agree with stereophile. For pubs, the lack of built in voip simply isn't that big of an issue. Even on the rare occasions where your teammates actually listen, they generally lack the coordination to make information relayed via voip worthwhile. Speaking from personal experience, I almost always disable built in voip in games due to the inevitable abuse. I don't need to hear mongoloids let fly a litany of racial slurs and swearing when I'm trying to enjoy the game. If I really need to talk to teammates, I have a personal vent server for when I play with friends.

I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but saying the "whining kids" excuse isn't valid is flat out wrong.

I have to admit that the whinners and the just plain annoying people did motivate me to start my own Ventrilo client and i passed the IP to a select few friends and we had a blast. It is pretty easy to setup.

The graphics look really bad since my LCD's resolution is NOT supported, everything is super blury. It actualy looks better on the lower widescreen resolution... I need 1920x1080 damnit...

But the worst part is the mouse lag. I can move my mouse and let go and the cursor is still moving into position. This makes the gameplay all but impossible. I can sit and shoot directly at someone over and over and not kill them, but for some reason I always seem to be one hit.

It would appear the best way to attack people is to move your character back and fourth and keep firing untill either you for the other guys gets killed.

I know it's beta but it's practicaly unplayable. The physics don't seem great either. For example you can't get any air with the vehicles. At least in BF series you can jump jeeps off embankments. The vehicles in this game seem to just fall or slow down on even a slight incline.

its called ventrilo

from my experience, in game voice chat as usually been pretty shitty. hence the reason to use an outside program. its not a big deal if they don't put it in.

It's awful. They went all hyperactive superspastic-style gameplay on it, when I was hoping that it would actually be worth playing. I don't like the "run around looking for bad guys and then just pissing whatever weapons you have at them until one of you dies" approach. Not the 2142 replacement i'd hoped for. Pretty crap, in fact.

uh its not about killing people. its about completing objectives. if you want quake go play quake. its a team game...something i would think you'd realize since you play 2142...OH WAIT... :rolleyes:

EDIT: its amazing to see all the haters already lol. "OMG ITS NOT BF" "OMG ITS NOT QUAKE" Duh?

The graphics look really bad since my LCD's resolution is NOT supported, everythign is super blury. It actualy looks better on the lower widescreen resolution... I need 1920x1080 damnit...

But the worst part is the mouse lag. I can move my mouse and let go and the cursom is still moving into position. This makes the gameplay all but impossible. I can sit and soot directly at someone over and over and not kill them, but for some reason I always seem to be one hit.
Two things:

1.) Regarding the resolution not being supported, did you change the aspect ratio selection? There's two drop down menus, one has resolution and the other has aspect ratio. I haven't checked personally, but I would have a hard time imagining that 1920x1080 isn't supported under the 16:9 dropdown. I know it's a silly question, but I figured you might have overlooked it.

2.) Regarding the mouse lag, do you have dual monitors by any chance? I had the same issue and I run two. Disabling the secondary monitor completely cleared up the lag in the game for me (short of server side anyway) and I jumped from about 5 fps up to 30.

Back