Enemy Territory Quake Wars Beta

AHHHH MY FINGER!!!!!!

shot00021zq2.jpg

what does that even do??? I must be stupid or something, but does it give ur team health or more health thingies????

a Strogg medic (tech?) can convert fallen GDI into spawn-hosts. by default they are "unclaimed" ie the 3 prongs are vertical. another strogg player can go upto said host and USE it and the progs go down. That is now yr one-time spawn location if/when you die

This allows you to get the front-line quickly. Such a technique is VERY good in the hacking room since fallen GDI can be spawn-hosts allow quicker defence

The GDI media's role is to revive falled GDI AND also disable Strogg spawn-hosts.

a Strogg medic (tech?) can convert fallen GDI into spawn-hosts. by default they are "unclaimed" ie the 3 prongs are vertical. another strogg player can go upto said host and USE it and the progs go down. That is now yr one-time spawn location if/when you die

This allows you to get the front-line quickly. Such a technique is VERY good in the hacking room since fallen GDI can be spawn-hosts allow quicker defence

The GDI media's role is to revive falled GDI AND also disable Strogg spawn-hosts.
Well said. I find that in the beta strogg don't make use of spawn hosts nearly enough. They're an INCREDIBLY powerful tool. A couple of the games I played in last night were won as a result of use of them. I was a technician and my buddy was a constructor. Between the two of us, we held the EMP disruptor alone for a good 13 minutes or so and that was long enough that it basically made it impossible for the GDF to win. He was laying down mines and turrets all over the place and since we were holding it, the rest of our team just hunted GDF.

The other game was one where the GDF got to the EMP and sewers really quickly, but once they took those two objectives, they couldn't get into the control room. We had so many spawn hosts that it was virtually impossible to get in there without having another couple strogg spawn on top of them. There were only four or five of us in there against their whole team, but they couldn't touch us because we were constantly respawning in the control room.

I honestly think that once competitive multiplayer starts up, the spawn hosts will have to be toned down because as it stands right now, with a couple good technicians, there's really no way for the GDF to get into the control room and have enough time to hack it. This is obviously a specific problem to the sewer map, but I think it will probably be looked at.

so let me get this straight, I (being a medic) create a spawn host and then some other player has to come and "claim" it so that everyone spawns there? very interesting, i don't think many people know that yet :p

so let me get this straight, I (being a medic) create a spawn host and then some other player has to come and "claim" it so that everyone spawns there? very interesting, i don't think many people know that yet :p
Sort of. Only the player that claims the spawn host spawns there; it's one time use. Also, I don't know if you meant it, but I figured I'd specify and note that you can claim spawn hosts you create as well. It's usually the first thing I do as a technician after I create my first one. You should also be aware that GDF medics can destroy spawn hosts as well so it works best if the spawn host is in a relatively secluded or hidden area away from prying eyes.

The other annoying thing about not many people knowing about or using spawn hosts is that you only get XP credit if people claim them. I fully expect my ability to level up as a technician will increase pretty handily once retail hits and people figure out what they're for.:)

everyone doesn't spawn there. only the person that claimed it spawns there. and its only a one time thing, so the more GDF you kill, the more dead bodies you can turn into spawn hosts. i was in a game the other night where we had at least 31 spawn hosts just layin around in the control room and the room outside of it. problem is, ppl don't know how to use em and they just lay there unused the rest of the round. i actually used that particular game to learn how to use em. heh.

I honestly think that once competitive multiplayer starts up, the spawn hosts will have to be toned down because as it stands right now, with a couple good technicians, there's really no way for the GDF to get into the control room and have enough time to hack it. This is obviously a specific problem to the sewer map, but I think it will probably be looked at.

I don't think it needs to be toned down. I mean the GDF have insta-revive and the ability to destroy spawn-hosts.

If the GDF really don't operate as a team AND their medics dont do as they should ie
1) hold back DONT FIGHT!!!
2) revive
3) destroy spawn hosts
Then yer it looks imballanced, but equally if the Strogg don't have tech's or the team don't know abt spawn-hosts then very quickly the front-line gets de-strogified and the GDF can easily complete objectives

I was in a game earlier today as Strogg and as a tech with some good tech's we held the hacking room VERY well!!!. Between revives and spawn-hosts its was just being held... UNTIL the GDF actually started playing as a team and getting through the hatchway and also all attacking at once with medics to revive and destroy hosts.

Strogg ended up losing, but only ~40sec on the clock. Tight game and Technitian and medic used correctly

I don't think it needs to be toned down. I mean the GDF have insta-revive and the ability to destroy spawn-hosts.

If the GDF really don't operate as a team AND their medics dont do as they should ie
1) hold back DONT FIGHT!!!
2) revive
3) destroy spawn hosts
Then yer it looks imballanced, but equally if the Strogg don't have tech's or the team don't know abt spawn-hosts then very quickly the front-line gets de-strogified and the GDF can easily complete objectives

I was in a game earlier today as Strogg and as a tech with some good tech's we held the hacking room VERY well!!!. Between revives and spawn-hosts its was just being held... UNTIL the GDF actually started playing as a team and getting through the hatchway and also all attacking at once with medics to revive and destroy hosts.

Strogg ended up losing, but only ~40sec on the clock. Tight game and Technitian and medic used correctly
Yeah, that's a good point. I suppose for as much as spawn hosts aren't used, GDF medics aren't destroying them either or are going rambo instead of reviving. I guess as the game is played more and the learning curve kicks in we'll see how it works out, but I hadn't really considered that neither the GDF or strogg are playing as well as they can at this point. I was only looking at it from the one side.

Will this be online only?
Yeah, it's multiplayer only. I don't know how it would really work as a single player game though. It's a team based game so it'd be like playing BF2 alone. It's just better with real people to play with and against.

the only thing that could be a problem in the foreseeable future is that you might not be able to just pop into a game and have some fun because maybe the other team is an actual team and cooperate very well but you are just a band of mercenaries or something, then again maybe every1 just needs to know what their role is and play by that. The team playing aspects are very intriguing and i am really looking forward to be a part of a well organized clan and whooping some ass.

btw, does any1 know if all the maps are linked i.e if strogg win map x, and if GDF win map y, until the 'final' map or something. That would be something interesting, i think Dark Messiah was supposed to have something like this.

the only thing that could be a problem in the foreseeable future is that you might not be able to just pop into a game and have some fun because maybe the other team is an actual team and cooperate very well but you are just a band of mercenaries or something, then again maybe every1 just needs to know what their role is and play by that. The team playing aspects are very intriguing and i am really looking forward to be a part of a well organized clan and whooping some ass.

btw, does any1 know if all the maps are linked i.e if strogg win map x, and if GDF win map y, until the 'final' map or something. That would be something interesting, i think Dark Messiah was supposed to have something like this.
Being on the losing end of a stomp is a risk you take with any team game. The thing is, you usually don't encounter entire teams full of organized folks except in more competitive situations like pickup scrims in counter-strike. I think the worst thing you'll have to compete against in pubs is a few friends playing together that happen to get on a team with people who know what they're doing. I can't imagine that a clan would bother to organize 12 people getting together to just pub stomp. They'd probably want to get scrims and practices together to work on tactics against other coordinated teams. Otherwise, they don't learn anything and don't get better.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "linked" maps. What I take your meaning as is the final map varies depending on which side wins the previous maps. If that's the case, then no, they aren't "linked". Each campaign is a set of three maps that are played through regardless of who wins and loses each time. I think it ships with three separate campaigns for a total of 9 maps though I haven't checked up on that in a while so it may have changed.

Being on the losing end of a stomp is a risk you take with any team game. The thing is, you usually don't encounter entire teams full of organized folks except in more competitive situations like pickup scrims in counter-strike. I think the worst thing you'll have to compete against in pubs is a few friends playing together that happen to get on a team with people who know what they're doing. I can't imagine that a clan would bother to organize 12 people getting together to just pub stomp. They'd probably want to get scrims and practices together to work on tactics against other coordinated teams. Otherwise, they don't learn anything and don't get better.

Seems to happen a lot on most ranked games. One clan pays for a fast and large server, attracting pubbers that want a decent game with a good connection and lots of players. The clan stacks one side and basically farms away at their KDR, win/lose ratio and so on... not fun to play against, but very common, I find, at least.

Seems to happen a lot on most ranked games. One clan pays for a fast and large server, attracting pubbers that want a decent game with a good connection and lots of players. The clan stacks one side and basically farms away at their KDR, win/lose ratio and so on... not fun to play against, but very common, I find, at least.
Huh. I never ran into that in BF2, but I guess it doesn't surprise me that much. Hopefully the campaign length XP system in etqw will cut down on that since there's really no reason to farm experience.

...Unless that pointless rank insignia next to your name on the scoreboard is of the utmost importance. :rolleyes:

I just said "final judgement reserved for the demo". Do try and keep up.

You said your problems weren't with things that will be fixed in the demo, but rather the "mongloid" design decisions like the stamina bar. It's ironic considering what a huge turd 2142 turned out to be. The beta of QW is already a lot better than 2142. :p

You said your problems weren't with things that will be fixed in the demo, but rather the "mongloid" design decisions like the stamina bar. It's ironic considering what a huge turd 2142 turned out to be. The beta of QW is already a lot better than 2142. :p

Yes, and those design decisions may be revised by the time the demo comes to be released. As for 2142 being a turd; as far as gameplay goes, that's subjective. On the technical side, I find fewer bugs in 2142 than most Valve games, which people so eagerly cite as examples of good development. So, y'know. It all really boils down to some people being spastics and others not, and consequently I feel vindicated and self-affirmed. I can't help it, it's the way I made me.

Awesome to the max.

2142 Pro isn't that bad for infantry at least. I have only played QW a few times and have to do so with the sound almost off b/c it bugs me so much. Seems like the gameplay will be interesting. HOT is going to seriously own the online competitions if what I saw MichaelD and LeGun do all by themselves is any indicator lol.

...Unless that pointless rank insignia next to your name on the scoreboard is of the utmost importance. :rolleyes:

We all know that it is going to come to that. BF2 and BF2142 have that issue where ppl are more worried about what their rank and stats are than actually trying to be a team player. They will constantly play for themselves and forgo any teamwork that may make other successful.

We all know that it is going to come to that. BF2 and BF2142 have that issue where ppl are more worried about what their rank and stats are than actually trying to be a team player. They will constantly play for themselves and forgo any teamwork that may make other successful.
The only way to counter that is to make it so that you only gain rank by doing things that help your team, QW has that to some degree. Medics gain by reviving, all that good stuff.

i've been on pub servers where the entire clan is playing in ET. but they were usually good about being even on both teams because they want people to play there. if they started team stacking then guys start to leave and you're left with an empty server. so pretty much if you run a shitty server, you're not gonna get players.

course...the last time i was in a clan was back in 2005. i've noticed that some things have changed within the community and decided to stay out of being in a clan for that reason. and besides, i lost my ability to play engie well. i'm gonna have to bring the skills back slowly so i don't burn out again.

My 2 cents:

Needs a little work (I realize its a beta)

Buggy points in maps, some vehicles are insanely crappy (physics-wise), lame sounds.... just to name a few.

Why is there an big red arrow pointing out who I need to shoot at? (fucking lame trend that needs to stop) ... the next thing we'll have is auto-aim in FPS games. :rolleyes:

Also, sup with the futuristic FPS games coming out? All of them suck and fail except Unreal :confused:

The only way to counter that is to make it so that you only gain rank by doing things that help your team, QW has that to some degree. Medics gain by reviving, all that good stuff.

thats what the XP system is built for. the only real way to build your stats is to help your team out. otherwise you might as well forget it.

oh wow, i just had the MOST INTENSE session of gaming. 10 vs 10, playing Strogg our group just worked very well together. All the guys knew how to use the spawn hosts, and i was medic. i'm creating SH left, right and center and we just keep spawning at the EMP. the GDF guys had no idea what hit them. 3 games in a row we held out, all already mentioned these spawn hosts really seem to be the key to the game, and with constructors building anti-arty it was GG. oh god that was fun, i really hope ID polishes out this game, and listens to the beta community. :D :D

BTW where do we report bugs?

Man, I wish I could always play with people who know what they're doing. We should really get an [H] group together, because without a team behind you this shit is infuriating.

I was just in a 4v5, on a team with 2 medics and 2 covert ops, me being one of the medics. So we're at the last objective, with two minutes to go we've finally got a rhythm going. We rush in, pick off a few Strogg, I bring back one guy, and then take out another Strogg. Then the one Covert Ops goes to the computer and starts hacking, while I start zapping Strogg spawn hosts so they won't end up back on us within seconds.

So after zapping the spawn hosts, I start running back to the computer room so I can cover the guy and throw down some medpacks, when I see the other Covert Ops running a few feet ahead of me. I think to myself sweet, we've got this one locked up, with two guys hacking they wont be able to get back before we finish it up.

Then it all takes a turn for the worse. Instead of taking a right and going towards the objective, he runs off in a corner and stands there doing nothing. I'm looking directly at him, and I have time to type "dude, hack the objective!", still no Strogg in sight, yet he's not moving. I move right up in his face, "DUDE! Hack!", and he's not answering me. Still no Strogg so I'm like "Hack! Hack!". Then the Strogg rush in, we get killed, the objective is only half complete, and we lose the game. Then the guy says "You can't blame me, I built the EMP disruptor!". Oh yeah man, you only have to complete one objective a game and you're set for 20 minutes, even if hacking at the end would have won it for us.

Hell, the only reason he got to build the disruptor was because I fended off the entire Strogg force with the Tank.

Pressing the jump key while in the walker will stomp the ground killing those pesty GDF around your feet trying to plant on you.

so are all the upgrades you get removed once you exit the game? its really annoying

Yes, so players who play everyday dont get an advantage over everyone else. I mean, they'll already have an advantage anyway, knowing all the maps and whatnot. No need to skew things further.

Sound sucks and the game needs work overall.

Anyone else get CRAP performance? I get 20-30 fps in large battles with 16x aa on :( Second fastest video setup money can buy and it struggles running an ugly game on an old engine. Pretty sad.

You have 16xAA enabled and you're moaning about performance? Jesus :rolleyes:. Turn it down 4x, or if you really must 8x and I'm sure you'll be fine. I mean, do you really need 16xAA?

You have 16xAA enabled and you're moaning about performance? Jesus :rolleyes:. Turn it down 4x, or if you really must 8x and I'm sure you'll be fine. I mean, do you really need 16xAA?

No but considering I ran 4x aa on quake 4 engine with an x1900 I figure 16x shouldn't break a sweat for a setup with 4x the graphics power. Hell CSS gets 100+ fps with a single 8800 and has better graphics to boot!

This is a beta, not the final game. Don't know how many times that has to be said.
This game is still in beta stage for many reasons.

SD has stated that even with an 8800 GTX performance drops signficantly when using more than 4x AA at higher resolutions.
I don't think the beta supports SLI properly either.

This is also not Quake 4 and not CSS.
It is full-on multiplayer and, in my opinion, has much better graphics and gameplay than CSS.

it needs tweaking still but it is a bad ass game at the core. I love flying a la tribes style. I used to own at Tribes lol.

Back