Enemy Territory: Quake War have you tried it?

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
im waiting to download it now, can anyone tell me if its worth the wait?

I have the beta single player. It's fun, but I'm waiting for the full game to make my judgment. And it plays well on my system.

just got home and it was already dl's from fileplanet, going to install and give a try

It's free. It's worth the wait. Go get it.

EDIT: If you're computer can't do anything besides download a demo file then perhaps you could download it while you sleep. Technically that's still "waiting" but it'll go pretty quick - I promise.

i ma looking forward to this game i loved Wolf:ET i think this has a lot of potential but its the same boring map i played all through beta 2, i played one round and i had enough. i will still buy the full game.

Started the demo download @ 6pm GMT release time, got 200k/s and was installing it pretty soon after, I honestly though this game would be crap and the laggy menu, and seriously fucked up laggyness in games despite having 50-55FPS solid was too much to bear.

I Installed the new beta drivers for Nvidia and I got soem advice from a friend who created a file called autoexec.cfg in his

...\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars Demo\base\

Inside the cfg put

seta com_unlockFPS 1
seta com_unlock_maxFPS 0
seta com_unlock_timingMethod 0

This seems to unlock the frame rate from the tick rate and gives you a much higher frame rate and also makes the frame rate appear smoother, because let me tell you 50FPS felt like 15 before this.

After getting past that initial annoyance I really got into the game, tried the sniper first after being a long loooooong term sniper in BF1942 and picking it up again in BF2, this was the first thing to try (on GDF)

Quickly got into the medic, the solider with a rocket launcher, back into the sniper some more, tried out the engineer for a bit, that was good teamplay wise.

I liked the GDF and never thought i'd like the Strogg just 'cause I'm a human/marine kinda guy and don't like the futuristic tech kinda deal, but was pleasently supprised, the Strogg sniper is all I played before quitting, and he's kinda cool and has these really awesome little diployable drones which you can remote control around the map and when you get close to someone detonate them in their face killing in 1 hit. So I was defending the bridge by sitting under it launching these drones and taking out engineers trying to work on repairing it, it was a LOT of fun I have to say.

I said a lot of negative things about the game and some of them still ring true unfortunately but others were off the mark, I'm willing to give the demo a decent play through over the next few weeks and see how I feel. Unfortuately the adverts are enough to make me not want to buy this game, there was none in the demo but you could clearly see the billboards where they are going to go.

If the price of the game reflects the fact it uses adverts then I may just buy this, depending on lastability of the demo.

Mac[X-D];1031419754 said:
i ma looking forward to this game i loved Wolf:ET i think this has a lot of potential but its the same boring map i played all through beta 2, i played one round and i had enough. i will still buy the full game.

Yeah I'm pretty sick of Valley. Been playing since beta1 and really got tired of the same map after the stats reset a few weeks ago. I was in the top #50, my rank was the silver wing, Commander ? Haven't been playing much lately. Although I had a good campaign on id's demo server this morning. I dominated with the tormentor. Fragged Todd Hollenshead several times while he was fixing the MCP. ;)

Downloaded the demo, installed it, but it won't play on my system.
The screen goes black and I can hear sound, but nothing happens. I hit ctr-alt-del and my screen goes all colored with messed up horizontal lines across the screen.

Check nvidia's website, saw new beta drives dated today, tried those and have absolutely no difference. Have to hit the reset switch on my computer everytime I try starting the game.

Specs:
Q6600
2GB Ram
7900GT
Vista 32bit

oh man this game runs very nice, I had a blast so far. 4xaa 16xaf (ingame settings) stable @ 30fps capped.

image settings:

continued

screens of gameplay at these settings:

first match online:

this is loking to be a really fun/competive game once everyone gets the hang of it.

i just finished playing a few rounds of it, first of all with lowish graphics but 1920x1200 it runs just perfect on my 6800gt, i could probably crank up the gfx a bit without too many dropped frames but i didnt feel like bothering with it.. took me a bit to figure out wtf to do, a few games in i wound up just spamming the obliterator and wound up getting 'best aggressor' lol, i was already bored of that map after just playing it a handful of times.. fun game but i can see it all getting boring kinda quick, somewhat of a been there done that feel.. then again maybe i need to play more, and try out the different classes before i make a final judgement

any way to get it to stay at 60 fps?

I was able to do it in game online, but a fluke as when I restart it, it goes back to 30fps...

I like it pretty well, reminds me of wolfenstein et. Plays perfectly on my machine. Haven't looked at the multicore usage though. Curious to see how much it uses.

I played it earlier today and it runs like crap, I had the settings @ 1280x1024, High settings, and I was getting 10fps on both online and offline (bots).

Does anyone think this is wrong?, I am using the 162.18 Nvidia Drivers.

Biggest problem I see is that the maps are linear, or mostly. This is akin to UT2004's assault mode which was very popular when it was brought out but soon became repetative with only 6 maps and each maps experience being somewhat limited.

Despite it's imediately likeable gameplay I forsee it getting boring fast :/

I played it earlier today and it runs like crap, I had the settings @ 1280x1024, High settings, and I was getting 10fps on both online and offline (bots).

See my post above about setting up an autoexec.cfg file to help fix this.

Downloading and 7 mins go to..

Hope it plays nice.. and ugh, i think this is when my 7800GT is going to show its age at 1920 x 1080 res.

I can't put my finger on it but something doesn't feel just right. Its not Battlefield, Quake, or Wolfenstein. Its some sort of Who's the daddy next Springer game. :eek:

I was originally excited for Quake Wars (I've got it preordered) but now I'm just crossing my fingers some of the lag is cleared up in the retail edition or its just the servers I'm playing on.

Its not the Battlefield replacement I thought it might turn out to be. Its something inbetween all of those game types. Its trying to do too much. If you talk and eat dinner yer not doin either very well :p

With that said however I'm still gonna pickup my preorder its just not a Battlefield killer. :D

also make sure you are running at your full pcie link width

there's gotta be something wrong with it, the framerates are deplorable, and I get a steady 60 fps in bioshock with vsync on and everything maxed out. Comparably very conservative gfx settings in QW ET get me unplayable framerates.

Thanks for the advice about the autoexec cfg file but I tried it in the install path and in the my documents path and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

EDIT: got it fixed, thanks to saan44 for info. Single display performance mode in the nvidia control panel

I've tried it and love it. I had my doubts with beta 1, there were some nasty bugs. But the game has come along nicely. At this point, my only gripe with the demo is being sick of Valley.
The same map in the demo was used in beta 2.

But I was playing at least 4-5 matches a day for several weeks during the beta 2 phase, so I'm understandably not as psyched about the demo as I would be otherwise. I'm very much looking forward to this game's release. I think Splash Damage took everything that was good about Wolf ET's gameplay and updated it nicely.

Biggest problem I see is that the maps are linear, or mostly. This is akin to UT2004's assault mode which was very popular when it was brought out but soon became repetative with only 6 maps and each maps experience being somewhat limited.

Sure every map will have the same objectives that always go down in the same order but there is a lot of depth and strategy involved with many different ways to accomplish things. The game has a steep learning curve. The more you play the better it gets. IMO UT2004 assault mode doesn't even come close to the intricacy of ET:QW. Actually I don't think there is another MP FPS around that matches the intense gameplay and team dynamics of Quake Wars.

People played Wolf ET for many years, myself included. It only came with 6 maps. ET:QW is on another level with all of the deployables, perks, and unique skills the classes have.

Take the spy class. They both can steal enemy uniforms. But the strogg infiltrator has the flyer drone and a "UT like" trans-locator. While the human covert ops has a deployable radar/camera that can be remotely detonated along with smoke grenades.

Unlocking the perks for playing your role is genius. And the teams are not just mirrors of each other. Each class has similar functions, but the weapons and unique skills play out very differently on GDF/Strogg. 12 maps out of the box is a really solid effort. I predict this game will get very favorable reviews.

I highly recommend new players check out the advanced user's guide. It's installed on your HD along with the demo and can be accessed from start>all programs>id software>et quake wars>documentation

As an example, here is a list of all the unlockable bonuses you can earn each campaign for XP accumulated in the main skill sets:

Also if you have a fast computer you'll need to enter some console commands for optimal fps and smoothness. They have the console settings "dumbed down" to ensure it runs decently on the widest amount of systems.

CTRL ALT ~

com_unlockfps 1 (unlocks the 30fps cap)
com_unlock_timingmethod 0 or 1 or 2 (each setting handles it a bit differently, getting progressively more conservative with how many frames the game attempts to draw)
com_unlock_maxfps 30, 60, 90 etc.. or you can use the value of 0 which sets infinite maxfps

This website has lots of good info too.
http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.gamespy.com/ETQW/
:D

I just tried the demo and it's awesome. It has everything that made me a fan of the original ET and a lot more. The fun meter reached high levels and I just played for 10-15 minutes :)
Plus graphics are awesome and I can play with almost everything set to high, 4xAA and 16xAF @ 1280x1024, on my system.
I need to play with GDF though. I only tried with the Strogg and it was great.

I agree it has more depth than UT2004's assault mode, but in UT2004's defence, assault mode was one of about 8 different modes you could play. But my point still stands that relatively linear attack paths while focusing combat also get boring much quicker than more dyamic play of something like BF2 where you can change your plan of attack across the width of the battlefield.

I didn't see a wide range of ways to complete the objectives in the demo to be honest, to best attack you needed teamwork but I wouldn't say there are a great number of ways to go about doing that. The MCP is on a set path which is predictable, theres only 2 main attack routes to start with, sea and road, both lead to the same place, it's basically just one long winding linear bottleneck.

The struggle comes from good team work where each player knows their job and does it, engineers build, medics revive, spec ops blow up the grate to allow water access etc.

You can't use harassment tactics, or distraction tactics, or take a small squad to a remote point of vulnerability and cripple the enemy...the only benefit flanking or coming up from behind has is really only a combat benefit where you suprise enemies from behind, still this is a momentary benefit at best and I'm not sure its even worth the effort of taking an indirect route to achieve it, since this takes longer usualy.

But my point still stands that relatively linear attack paths while focusing combat also get boring much quicker than more dyamic play of something like BF2 where you can change your plan of attack across the width of the battlefield.

I guess we have different ideas of what is boring.

BF2 feels like a big team deathmatch to me. Pretty much the point is trying to kill the other team to deplete their tickets while camping the flags. I guess the encounters are more random and free form, but I don't think it's as intense as QW. Lots of wandering around. Getting left behind at the spawn without a vehicle really sucks. I don't get the feeling like, wow I just won the game for my team.

I didn't see a wide range of ways to complete the objectives in the demo to be honest, to best attack you needed teamwork but I wouldn't say there are a great number of ways to go about doing that. The MCP is on a set path which is predictable, theres only 2 main attack routes to start with, sea and road, both lead to the same place, it's basically just one long winding linear bottleneck.

Maybe I didn't use the right words. On valley, you'll always need an engineer to build the bridge and fix the MCP. You'll always need a covert ops to hack the generator. You'll always need a solider to blow up the contaminator. But the mix of classes and the techniques and strategies to accomplish the goals are constantly changing depending on what the opposing team is doing. Playing with a bunch of noobs on a pub is quite a different experience than scrims or even playing on a server with a group of regular skilled players.

The MCP can actually take a different path. If you go off course you have a set amount of time before it redeploys, but this is just one of the many tricks you pick up the longer you play. Exit the tunnel and make a sharp left and go right around the Strogg turrets deployed in your path. That move has worked marvelously when the strogg had the road leading into the outpost locked down.

You say there are just two routes towards the outpost obj #2, land and sea, but it's a wide open path. A player can take the trail and go over the hill. They can go through the tunnel. They can go through the tunnel but detour through the side passages. They can take the road that leads along the water. They can take the platypus or trojan through the river, but and have a choice of coming up alongside the bridge or going past it to come behind the outpost. You say it doesn't matter if you take the long way because of the time involved. Well against a good defense sometimes you'll need to take alternate routes to not get killed. Your choice of transportation effects it too.

On the hacking obj, there are too many routes to name but I'll try. Over the river and through the tunnel, over the river and around the backside, across the bridge and straight up the middle, across the bridge and hang a left at the spawn point. (this is a good route to take if there is a cyclops blocking the way. Of course you can always take a helicopter and parachute over the obj etc......

There is always "one" main objective to accomplish at a time, but lots of class objectives to knock out. Coverts can snipe, steal uniforms and backstab in the enemy spawn, or concentrate on hacking deployables. When I'm a strogg infilitrator, I make taking back GDF spawn points a priority. If an enemy vehicle is raping, a well timed EMP grenade can save the day. The goals and strategies are different from map to map as well.

You can't use harassment tactics, or distraction tactics, or take a small squad to a remote point of vulnerability and cripple the enemy

I disagree with this completely. For example when hacking the generator, a good strategy is for one covert ops to use an aircraft to reach the mountain behind the generator and snipe the defenders. Eventually the strogg will get pissed off and come after you, leaving less people there to stop the other coverts that attempt to hack. Sometimes i'll just take the anansi and fly around the map destroying strogg vehicles and the random foot soldier. A strogg infiltrator can snag a uniform and linger near the shield generator to backstab any would be hackers. But maybe they'd rather hide in one of the buildings and spam flyer drones ?

There are so many gameplay possibilities. Each class has many different things they can offer to help the team accomplish the goal. I've mainly talked about the spy class but each has their own nuances. Except maybe medics/technicians. In both cases their job is pretty much to drop health and revive. (at least if you're playing correctly) They're probably the most limited. But compared to each other they're quite different. i.e. GDF medic gets instant revive, while strogg revives take time. But strogg techs get spawn hosts. Techs dropping stroyent doubles as health and ammo. While GDF field ops can drop ammo, medics can drop supply crates as a perk. Also they should be zapping spawn hosts with those electric paddles.

Yes the main goals on a given map will always be the same. But it seems to me like every game plays out differently. It doesn't feel like I'm doing the same thing everytime. You can be highly effective without even firing your light weapons all game. An aggressor with artillery can wreak havok. :D

Also I'm not sure how many new players realize this, but any strogg can shift their stroyent between health and ammo. Use the + and - keys.

Seems like battle Field series if you ask me. It was fun though. I'll keep the demo. So far, for me, nothing beats CS:S for online first person shooter play.

I thought the demo was really cool, it stutters a bit on my system but actually loads faster than BF2. Really fun from what i've played.

seems that the game isnt using my dual cores, has you can see in the pic below (right monitor),

yes that is 6fps I am getting :(,

tried the autoexec.cfg, nothing happened.

anyone know a fix for this, affinity is set to both cores.

This game reminds me of tribes. Futuristic looks with jetpacks and organized mayhem!

How do you change graphic settings? I'm stuck at a low resolution and can't seem to find in game graphic settings anywhere.

Edit: Nvm I was just being stupid. Found them. Now that I did I can say the game runs perfectly at max settings 1680x1050 with 4xAA & 16XAF on a 7900GT (650/800). Hits 30FPS cap and stays. Having fun so far! :)

For those of you with solid systems getting completely horrid framerates, there's an issue with the game and nvidia drivers. You'll need to set it from the default of "Multi Display Performance Mode" to "Single Display Performance Mode."

More info is available on the beta forums.

So far I'm liking it. I was afraid they would screw it up and it would not have the same feel as the first ET. I have only played the earth side so far so can't comment on the aliens. All i have really done is play bots. I jumped in thinking i would spend some time getting used to the controls and ended up playing for 5 hours and never got online, thats my goal for tonight.

Stereophile I do see what you're saying but I think we're talking about slightly different things here, with games like BF2 you always have a dynamic flow in the maps, if a team is getting pinned down onto one flag they can send a merry band of mauraders in a jeep to a totaly isolated flag, take that and get others to respawn there, and all of a sudden the entire attack path of the game has changed, the entire battlefield can be reversed in a matter of minutes and it's fluid, it's always changing.

There might be 1 or 2 or 5 routes to the location in ETQW but it's still incredibly limited in comparison to a more dynamic game mode.

Maybe there's more tactics in clan games, who knows, I've only played pubs and thats all I ever will play, I don't have the time for clans. For me there is little in the way of tactical options, going a different route is simply a case of taking the path of least resistance, I don't really consider sitting 1 sniper on a hill harassment tactics, you spawn every couple of seconds and the sniper only has 30 ammo, but there's nothing like the scramble in BF2 when you notice a flag across the map has been taken, everyones scrambling into vehicles and pelting it across to retake the position.

I don't consider it completely free of tactics but certainly far less so than BF2, all the things you describe here can really be done in BF2 with the classes anyhow, they're equally as unique to each other than in ETQW, but you have this interesting shifting tactical dynamic which keeps everyone on their toes and each battle is different because of it.

I don't want to sound like some huge BF2 fan, I liked the game and eventually stopped playing it, I don't think it's revolutionary or better especially, I'm purely using it as an example for the game mode structure.

How is the gameplay for everybody that can actually run the game? The graphics aren't impressive, so I am guessing gameplay makes up for it?

How is the gameplay for everybody that can actually run the game? The graphics aren't impressive, so I am guessing gameplay makes up for it?

I take it you have performance issues ? Check out the QW thread in the PC gaming section.
My comp runs it very smoothly on max settings. Yours should easily handle it.

As for graphics, with everything fully turned up, I think it looks very nice. The environment in the demo map is a little bland, some of the other maps like Island or Outskirts look more interesting. Certainly the multi pass shading on the vehicles and some of the surfaces like the tormentor landing pad looks good don't you think ?

It looked pretty good to me maxed out (I finally found the graphics settings, they're in dark text on a dark background once you click settings, ABOVE the main window that appears to be the only options window) at 1680x1050, 16x HQ AF/16x CSAA SuperSampling (8800gts 640 @ 600/1450/1900, quad-core q6600 @ 3.0ghz, 4gb ram, vista x64). As far as gameplay goes, I honestly don't like it. It was fun for the first couple of hours, and then it just got REALLY repetitive. The fighting system just wasn't entertaining to play, the maps seemed far, far too linear, and even on servers with 20ish players, the map felt empty.

Back