Empire at War

Anyone have any thoughts on the 300 people playing online? Am I the only one that thinks that's horribly low? Do you think it's possible this game flopped? Or maybe most of the people who bought it already gave up trying to do MP.

DudeItsMe said:
Anyone have any thoughts on the 300 people playing online? Am I the only one that thinks that's horribly low? Do you think it's possible this game flopped? Or maybe most of the people who bought it already gave up trying to do MP.

Well when I went to go pick up my, the had a stand in the front and a 7 shelves in the back dedicated to this game. They were 95% empty about. I got one of the last 15 or so. I dont think it flopped but I think the MP did. Plus this game has really good SP modes.

DudeItsMe said:

Also, think about all the trouble we had last night over one setting. People get turned off when they can't get something to work. Not everyone is like us, and will go find the answer.

Got the game, love it. I need to try it on MP mode though...SP is fine, but the skirmishs are way too addicating LOL.

2 things though:

1) I read about someone discussing the timeline. If you're a rather hardcore starwars fan (ok, I am because I love imperial warships): Given that there is a Acclamator (Star Wars epi 2!) in it, and then there are only TIE Fighters and Bombers (no Interceptors - thats a Epi 5 thing), I gathered as much this game was ment to timewise...just after Episode 3 to maybe up to Epi 5 (Since it does have the maps for the battle of Hoth). It does though, leave alot of room for expansion material.

2) Has anyone had issues with a nF3/6800-series combo (the famous problem I keep hearing about)? I installed the game on a friend's system that has a A64 s754 3200+, 1gb of ram, and a 6800NU and it wouldnt get past the LucasArts logo without doing a BSOD or random alt-tabbing/resizing. Keep in mind he is able to run alot of other games fine, so i'm puzzled at the moment.

I played on LAN with my roommate last night on campaign mode, and it was fun. One grip, the Death Star. Once it's brought into battle, I had 80 seconds before it fired. Now how am I supposed to destroy the deathstar in 80 seconds when I can hardly get across the map in half that time. Assuming equal forces, say 3 mon cals vs 3 star destroyers, I don't see how anyone can stop the deathstar.

As for the alt tab error, we got sync errors when my roommate alt tabbed out during a space battle.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, its not because of an alt-tab.

You'll be playing and your cursor will switch to the default windows hourglass, and the game freezes. You then alt-tab to see the exception box behind it.

It is a game generated error.

DudeItsMe said:

Nah, I think most people want to play through at least one capaign. I bet in two weeks we will see 2000 people online.

This game got me to install Rebellion and star conquering the galaxy. I wish it had the auto-resource like Rebellion and you can move to a planet without having to destroy the space stations/Ground structures.

Rich Tate said:
The problem was on my end.

You must have uPnP and NAT enabled on your router to connect.

I was able to get into a game shortly after I did that.

The problem is few people know how to fix the problem. :(

We may be waiting for a while to play good MP, or we're just going to have to setup a sched and a passworded game.

FWIW, the entire point of UPnP is that you don't have to do any configuring. With UPnP enabled on your PC and the router, you won't need to manually enable NAT or open ports or know the difference between TCP or UDP or etc. UPnP, as a service, allows applications running on the OS to directly make changes to the router so nobody has to know all that.

UNFORTUNATELY, several well meaning, but tragically misled, websites tend to list UPnP real high on the list of services in WinXP to disable to 'streamline the OS'. Which is, of course, a load of crap.

Anyway, the long and short of that is that MOST people buying SW:EAW are going to have UPnP on their OS already in place and working, and UPnP on their router in place and working (it defaults to being enabled on every router I've seen). So, there shouldn't be any problems installing the game and getting it working in MP.

Which DOES make one wonder about the low numbers online....

dderidex said:
FWIW, the entire point of UPnP is that you don't have to do any configuring. With UPnP enabled on your PC and the router, you won't need to manually enable NAT or open ports or know the difference between TCP or UDP or etc. UPnP, as a service, allows applications running on the OS to directly make changes to the router so nobody has to know all that.

UNFORTUNATELY, several well meaning, but tragically misled, websites tend to list UPnP real high on the list of services in WinXP to disable to 'streamline the OS'. Which is, of course, a load of crap.

Anyway, the long and short of that is that MOST people buying SW:EAW are going to have UPnP on their OS already in place and working, and UPnP on their router in place and working (it defaults to being enabled on every router I've seen). So, there shouldn't be any problems installing the game and getting it working in MP.

Which DOES make one wonder about the low numbers online....

I know exactly what they both do. ;)

NAT was disabled in my router and had to be turned on, that was the whole problem.

If you log into the game and go to the MP lobby, most people with routers are having issues connecting. The point is the game is a bit more difficult to get working, which for the average joe (you know the inverse of, oh say, us :p) is causing problems.

Trust me on this one, there were a TON of people last night who could not connect, maybe its deeper than router issues, but it certainly is causing problems.

Man every thread I go into today people are on me, is it gang up on Rich day again? ;)

Rich Tate said:
Man every thread I go into today people are on me, is it gang up Rich day again? ;)
Yeah.... you up for a 4 vs you later? I'll bring my Death Star.

Rich Tate said:
Man every thread I go into today people are on me, is it gang up on Rich day again? ;)

Who squealed? :mad:

All kidding aside, you participate more than a lot of moderators and I appreciate that. Hats off to Rich :).

deathBOB said:
Who squealed? :mad:

All kidding aside, you participate more than a lot of moderators and I appreciate that. Hats off to Rich :).

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I am no different than you guys, I just happen to be lucky enough to write about it and have my opinion respected by our gracious readership. :)

We're all lucky, thank you guys for making our site (in my biased mind) the best on the web!

Rich Tate said:
We're all lucky, thank you guys for making our site (in my biased mind) the best on the web!
Sorry bud, but [H]ard|OCP currently ranks #2 behind Google. I just can't stop loving google, and then they come out with something new. Google FTW!

Back on topic: Anyone know where the screenshots are saved?

Anyone know if a map editor is going to be released? I'm overly addicted to skirmishes, but I already want more maps. :(

Umi.Ryuuzaki said:
2) Has anyone had issues with a nF3/6800-series combo (the famous problem I keep hearing about)? I installed the game on a friend's system that has a A64 s754 3200+, 1gb of ram, and a 6800NU and it wouldnt get past the LucasArts logo without doing a BSOD or random alt-tabbing/resizing. Keep in mind he is able to run alot of other games fine, so i'm puzzled at the moment.

I have seen the issue once, however it was just poor performance.

Man, I can't get through a Rebel campaign...I get gang raped by Star Destroyers as soon as I get to tech 2 :(

I'm working my way through the Rebel campaign now. I'll let you know if I have any tips.

One thing that sucks for it so far is that the heros you start with have a very minimal impact in space/land combat. I suppose their benefits are more subtle. The first guy is good though, much better than Vader's weak space combat. I always had to watch Vader to make sure he didn't get pwned.

Another thing that I never mentioned that I really liked--the intro to the campaigns. They play that SW theme music, and it just sounds so great, I have to crank it up on my speakers.

I'm playing through the Empire campaign right now, but I ended up just going off and conquering every planet I could instead of actually completing the missions. I'm up to a point where I'm making around 20K credits a day with a stockpile of around 1 million, and I'm only on mission 7 or 8... So far I have to say I'm really enjoying the game, it brings back memries of RA2. It feels the same spiritually, but the gameplay is completely unique.

DudeItsMe said:
I'm working my way through the Rebel campaign now. I'll let you know if I have any tips.

One thing that sucks for it so far is that the heros you start with have a very minimal impact in space/land combat. I suppose their benefits are more subtle. The first guy is good though, much better than Vader's weak space combat. I always had to watch Vader to make sure he didn't get pwned.

Another thing that I never mentioned that I really liked--the intro to the campaigns. They play that SW theme music, and it just sounds so great, I have to crank it up on my speakers.

I've been doing the Rebel campaign for a couple of days now and I can say that the speeders own. I usually do a raid party with 2 groups of speeders and 1 group of tanks and can pretty much take any planet. I just send C3P0 to the system first to scope it out, then bring him down as reinforcements once i begin the raid and use him to build turrets while my speeders fly around killing everything. Tanks are there incase of AA.

Another thing I've noticed is I can hold any system as long as it has the largest space station you can build and an Ion cannon. Those alone can cause enough damage to make the Empire fleet retreat. Largest fleet it held off was one that included 5 Imp-class SD's.

this game looks tight. I'm currently downloading the demo. Any in game screenies from those who have the full game?

Anyone know if this game supports 1920x1200 resolution?

Not sure, but I can play them demo on my HDTV running natively @ 1080i. I think it is like 2000 something x 1080. not sure what the exact numbers are.

So I would imagine that it does run at that resolution.

Json23 said:
Not sure, but I can play them demo on my HDTV running natively @ 1080i. I think it is like 2000 something x 1080. not sure what the exact numbers are.

So I would imagine that it does run at that resolution.

That's 1/2 of 1920x1080

That's 1/2 of 1920x1080

okay, I just called the house and had my girl load up the demo and take a look. She says that the 1920x1080 is what I have selected as the default resolution.

Which means that 1920x1080 must = 1080i on my Hitachi 51" HDTV.

So yes, the game supports it. (It also has a "widescreen" click box in the video options as well)

Are you using a TV to play? If so - what TV/software are you using to get the job done? ATi catalyst control center has a pretty good starting point, but you need to tweak the setting for hours before the picture is acceptable. (IMO) Also, desktop use in anything other than a 720p format is hell on your eyes.

Gaming is not too shaby in 1080i because the image is not always static and you can't see the scan lines. However, a 720p resolution is required on some older games. (like Total Annihilation or Red Alert 2)

I only played one skirmish map but I'm guessing you can't build more factories/main buildings? And no way to increase population above 7? (Land map btw)

Max population is 10. Not sure what all you can build in a land skirmish though.

I really need to do more work on the Rebel campaign. I also went through the Empire campaign and took down EVERY planet. Helped a lot with money, I had a top level space station on every planet (highest each planet could support)

This Rebel campaign sucks. Empire is so much better at space battles. I don't like playing as the Rebellion
frown.gif

DudeItsMe said:
This Rebel campaign sucks. Empire is so much better at space battles. I don't like playing as the Rebellion
frown.gif

having a lot of fighters and bombers in a rebel fleet makes the space battles a lot easier against the empire. 3-4 y-wings can easily take on an imperial star destroyer as long as fighters are kept off of them. Trying to take on the empire by going capital ship vs capital ship makes it harder. I try to at least have 10 x-wings and 10 y-wings in every fleet

Yeah that's so horribly inefficent. You drop units left and right. I started one battle with like seven Y-Wings and they were shot down before I could even MOVE them. On the Empire Campaign, on Hard, I got 67% Military Efficency, which I think wasn't that bad. Economic and Kill Efficency were both 100%. I guess I don't like losing 30 ships to win a freaking fight...

Okay, I'm starting to get better. Rebel campaign is all about assault Frigates and Nebulon B frigates. Getting better at using unit specials too. Taking Mon Calamari with that shield and the artillery was a bitch...I musta sent 400 Mon Cals to their deaths :D I find fighters and bombers almost useledd unless you lucky enough not to have to face them famned Patrol ships...they just pick 'em off without much effort/

For Mon Calamari, that's the one I'm trying to do as a raid, the strategy is pretty much slow moving and hit and run. You have to lure the Artillery out. Then I usually hit them with my artillery/tanks or send in my Infiltrators to sticky bomb them. That works AMAZINGLY well, but you really have to be careful getting them out of there.

I'm pretty much playing the Rebel campaign like a commando campaign. You can only have three units in a raid, so all my forces are small, but it can still kick ass. That's one of the great things about this game... there are units that wtfpwn other units, but will get owned by something else, which gets owned by this. Send the right thing, at the right time, and you can slaughter. Send the wrong stuff, and you're pretty much screwed.

That's one of the great things about this game... there are units that wtfpwn other units, but will get owned by something else, which gets owned by this. Send the right thing, at the right time, and you can slaughter. Send the wrong stuff, and you're pretty much screwed.

I am glad to hear about that. I loved the "paper, rock,scissors" units in gameplay that other people seem to hate so much. But I think it makes the games more intense and varies the strategy up more - which is why I have always enjoyed Command and Conquer games over other "build the most/bigger units" and win games like Dawn of War.

I started the rebel campaign and have done a few missions so far. I don't know man....I'm kind of on the fence on whether or not I like this game. I love rts games, but I think I prefer the traditional rts instead. I don't like not having a big army on planets and such, and only being able to call in reenforcements instead of building guys on the ground. Also, the micromanagement of planets seems a bit tedious to me. With the pop cap, I gathered all my forces into one fleet to head for kashyk, but while I was getting there, the empire took over alderan. :( I know it was my fault since I left no one there, but I needed my troops to head for kashyk. Spreading my forces thin across all the planets for defense, would leave me with not much of a moving fleet due to pop cap. Maybe I'll give it some more time, but so far I'm not digging the rebel campaign.

It's also hard to determine how big of a fleet you need to win a battle or not and the game gives you no way to redo it if you didn't bring enough reenforcements. For example, if you start a battle and then later realize that you don't have enough reenforcements available to win the battle, you can't restart and go back to the galatic map to gather more. You have to retreat midway, accept your losses, build more and then try to take it over again.

A few suggestions to the above poster:

Yeah, there is no way around defending your current assets. It's necessary. Yes that will mean you have to manage within the population limit, but that's doable.

Keep in mind the key is to use the abilites of each unit individually. I seriously doubt you will beat this game if you do not learn ot use strategy in both land and space battles. Lots of times you'll find that if you do use strategy, you can take down four or five enemies for each unit you lose. Thus you need much smaller fleets to attack the larger ones. I found the population cap to be no problem, especially later in games, since you usually know what planets are unattackable and therefor do not need defended.

If you had ALL your units in one fleet, you're obviously doing something wrong. Even on Hard difficulty, I manage to have units at each planet and then have a sizable attack force. It takes lots of micro-management.

A quesiton never answered: Anyone know where screenshots are saved?

Ok, I don't play games as much as I used to and I think I suck now. I'm playing on medium difficulty and I restarted the rebel campaign, since I screwed up last time and didn't have a save point far enough back to recover. I always get screwed over at the kashyyk battle (not the battle itself, but getting there without having alderan taken over).

Before kashyyk, I took over the neighbouring planets and stuff, built a sizeable space fleet. My pop cap is about 110 around I think at this point. However, before I head for kashyyk, a sizeable empire fleet always and I mean always ends up heading for alderan. At least 8 victory cruisers, plus a ton of other ships. Even with the bulk of my space fleet at alderan and an ion cannon on the ground, this fleet still wipes me out. The battle takes a while, but I always end up losing and can't hold the planet and then the bulk of my fleet is taken out and I don't have enough credits to rebuild fast enough and they wipe out my other planets. I even did the kashyyk battle once first for fun and won that battle easily, but then after that the huge empire fleet is still around and I can't take it out, so it always ends up wiping me out and leaving me with no credits and army, so they trounce my other planets.

I must seriously suck right now cause it's frustrating as hell. The problem I have with the single player campaign is that I can't concentrate on just the storyline aspect and completing those missions without worrying about my planets being taken. I think I would have preferred a traditional storyline campaign without the galatic map, cause I think galactic conquest mode achieves almost the same thing for people who like that. Damn, I'm shamed to be a gamer right now cause this game is just owning me and it frustrating.

Anyone getting lag issues in big battles?

Me and a friend played on a 2 vs 2pc space battle and near the end when everybody had the huge ships it became almost unplayable for me (my friend has a slightly better pc and wasnt lagging)

Land battle were 10 times worst

1024-768

Everything Maxed (no AA)

intel p4 3.2ghz
1gig ram
radeon x850xt
DSL net

Lowered all setting to the lowest possible and still had huge lag problems

Other then that... very fun game ;)

Back