eMachines mobo died, need help with replacement working with OEM XP

This is for my boss, his eMachines computer wouldn't boot up and after checking the RAM, buying a new PSU, etc. it has been realized it's the ECS L7VMM2 motherboard that has died. Apparently it's now a known problem with that model of eMachine but the part isn't made anymore.

Everything else on his computer works and he only really needs a new motherboard, but doesn't want to reformat his HDD that has the OEM install of Windows XP on it that came from eMachines. A new motherboard may not let him boot XP because of the OEM security key.

How can I get around this so he doesn't have to buy another copy of Windows? I can't find this motherboard for sale (which in the long run is probably a good thing *snicker*), so is there another motherboard that may work with his OEM install of Windows?

Thanks for any help!

Typically on e-machines the first thing to go is the motherboard and the power supply. I've replaced those boards with aftermarket ones without much hassle. Make suer the board you replace it with is using the same chipset and all should be well

Alright, thanks.
I believe it's a VIA ProSavageDDR KM266 according to a product information page I found online. I'll try and find a good KM266 mobo and go from there. I didn't happen to see any listed on Newegg, could you recommend a mobo and perhaps a reputable place to order from? I haven't ordered from anywhere but Newegg in a loooong time. :p
I did the ol' Froogle search: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=VIA+ProSavageDDR+KM266&hl=en&btnG=Search+Froogle

Yea the power supply prob killed the motherboard. Anyway if you have an oem xp disk you can always do a repair overtop of the old install to get it working on new hardware. That way you can put any mb in you want. Not the best way to do it but it does work.

If you have to call microsoft, just tell them that you're replacing the motherboard because it died, but you're using the same computer. If they don't give you an activation key, just call back and find someone that will. A little time consuming, but I've never had a problem with it.

So even if the PSU "works", it's probably a really good idea to trash it?

Thanks.

If you're using the rest of the components, you don't necessarily have to.

Personally, I'd look around and find one of those free AR PSU's from Fry's (outpost.com). I picked up an Ultra 400W (I know it's not the best, but probably better than the eMachines) for free with free shipping even.

If you're using the rest of the components, you don't necessarily have to.

Personally, I'd look around and find one of those free AR PSU's from Fry's (outpost.com). I picked up an Ultra 400W (I know it's not the best, but probably better than the eMachines) for free with free shipping even.

You haven't played around with emachines much have you?

The reason I say replace the power supply is that a lot of emachines from a few years ago had major issues with power supplys killing motherboards. The 12volt rail would spike like crazy on them on boot or something. Can't remember which models had the issue but I just throw another ps in when I work on them.

Edit:

Want to say it was the BESTEC power supplys that were the issue. Tryied looking on preowneds website to see if they still listed the models of the bad power supplys but didn't see it. They had figured out what systems had the issues and had a test set up for it. I had found out about it because compusa uses them and my friend there showed me the info a few years ago. Want to say the 12 volt would spike to like 20 or something really fucked up. They use to have a note next to the motherboards saying test the pwoer supply or if the system needed a logic board replace the power supply at the same time.

You haven't played around with emachines much have you?

The reason I say replace the power supply is that a lot of emachines from a few years ago had major issues with power supplys killing motherboards. The 12volt rail would spike like crazy on them on boot or something. Can't remember which models had the issue but I just throw another ps in when I work on them.

Actually, I did have an eMachines that died (motherboard failure). It very well might have been a PSU spike that killed it. You're right replace the PSU :).

If you have to call microsoft, just tell them that you're replacing the motherboard because it died, but you're using the same computer. If they don't give you an activation key, just call back and find someone that will. A little time consuming, but I've never had a problem with it.

Thanks for the advice!
And that's not a bad idea about the PSU either. We bought a new one from Best Buy, but have fifteen days to return it (minus however many days since we bought it). We may decide just to keep it though, we don't want to have to go through this again. :)

Actually, I did have an eMachines that died (motherboard failure). It very well might have been a PSU spike that killed it. You're right replace the PSU :).

When I was a notebook tech in retail I prob saw the desktop techs replace 50 or 60 bad emachines with dead boards via the power supply. Shit load of them had the issue. Sucked too as the emachines were cheap good systems at that point. We would get them in for like memory upgrades or spyware removal and sell a power supply with them if they were out of warranty and they would be fine.

Any suggestions on a good motherboard with the same chipsets to replace this with?
I'd really appreciate it. A lot of what I'm finding online is out of stock with no chance of reordering.

Thanks.

What is the model of the emachine? I might now a place that has the part in stock.

Have you tried replacing it with a different motherboard and installing xp? I ask because the computer in my signature is running with the copy of windows off my fathers old emachines pc. I used the ID number from the back of the PC and verified it online. Personally I've never had a problem with emachines psus, they've all been hipros and have worked flawlessly.

Thanks, the model number is T2200.

http://www.preowned.com looks like they can still get them but they are prob expensive. Not sure if they will sell it to you outright or if you will need to go through someone elce. You can always call them and setup an account and get a price.

Guys I were thinking of don't have anymore.

Unless you can find an entire one I'd just replace the motherboard and do a repair install using a normal oem xp disk.

I replaced an eMachine motherboard before. Everything should fit fine unlike some other OEM's (Dell) which use proprietary motherboard mounting.

I think that the only actual copy of Windows XP we have around here is Professional whenever we got our Volume Licensing for our work computers.

You might wanr to consider talking to your boss and grabbing a couple of copies of xp-pro (with upgrade coupon) before they get scarce. It sounds like your company, like most, relies on computers, and you have a glaring business risk if another machine dies. Vista will be a major pain, see the thread in the OS forums about printer drivers (or lack there of). Not sure if you want to take on the job but it sounds like someone needs to inventory what you have, look at its age, and some capital investment even if modest is in order. If you are forced to use Vista on new machine buys I think there will be a lot of hidden cost due to your other equipment. Putting a plan in place now might save you lots of money in the future.

Back