Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Na, it's a console game. Smithing is at about the level of difficulty I expected.

I just don't get it! What's so different about today's youth vs me as a youth? Difficulty of a game never stopped me from playing it. If i had to, I'd print out all the key-bindings and put it up next to my monitor so i could play. Just because a game is developed for consoles, it shouldn't mean that it has to be dumbed down, but that's exactly what happens. Since when did kids start shying away from challenge?

I just don't get it! What's so different about today's youth vs me as a youth? Difficulty of a game never stopped me from playing it. If i had to, I'd print out all the key-bindings and put it up next to my monitor so i could play. Just because a game is developed for consoles, it shouldn't mean that it has to be dumbed down, but that's exactly what happens. Since when did kids start shying away from challenge?

Kids didn't really change. The subset of the population that plays videogames changed.

Kids didn't really change. The subset of the population that plays videogames changed.

Pretty much. Though that said, when I walk past my old primary school (given its just down the road from me) I can't help but think there's no way I was as obnoxious as those little brats are these days :p And its only been about 15 years, lol. Those little twirps make me feel old.

But yeah, the problem isn't the kids, its the demographic of people who play video games has changed.

How? kids play video games now. kids played video games then. thus kids then and now both play video games. so i think the question is valid: why would kids 15 years ago put forth more effort for gaming than kids today?

(or is this simply a matter of game makers assuming that kids are noobs and don't want to be challenged?)

How? kids play video games now. kids played video games then. thus kids then and now both play video games. so i think the question is valid: why would kids 15 years ago put forth more effort for gaming than kids today?

(or is this simply a matter of game makers assuming that kids are noobs and don't want to be challenged?)

Because kids are whiny-ass little bitches these days that would cry if they tried to play Quake 3 Arena. They need constant "unlocks" and "achievements" and other CoD bullshit to feel good about themselves...because "everyone is a winner"! :p :rolleyes:

(Disclaimer: not all kids, but a seemingly growing population)

Its not just kids, its a shift in demographic for gamers. Previously your gamers were typically your quiet nerds, a bit OCD, all that jazz. The nerdy variety who were either into things like dungeons and dragons or not far off it, more patient and willing to put up with convoluted gameplay. The sort of kids who weren't running around playing sports to burn off excess energy. These days the market has broadened to the more casual market who don't have the time and/or patience to put up with it.

Its not that kids 15 years ago would put forth more effort for gaming than kids today. Its that the TYPE of kids (and adults) games are were sold to back then were typically more patient and/or more OCD.

I know I had a lot MORE patience as a kid than I do now. Back then I'd spend a day playing a video game until my parents told me to get off the TV and/or my sisters wanted to watch a TV show. These days I get home from work fucking exhausted and knowing I have a huge report to write and can't play for terribly long. Hell, half the reason I come to these forums is I can kill a few minutes and then go back to doing something else where as if I actually started up a game I'd be compelled to play it for an hour or two, an hour or two I don't really have to spare most days.

Back then I had only a few games, usually bought with my pocket money, and all the time in the world to play them. Now I have a stack of games, enough money that if I want a game I can buy it without thinking rather than waiting a month thinking about it and saving for it, but I don't have the time to play big complicated games.

I remember playing Ultimate Air Combat on the NES and fully drawing up the maps on paper to figure out the attack paths to minimise how many hits I'd take, learning where the enemy planes come from so I could set myself up to take them out without getting pwned by AA guns... there's no way I'd have that sort of patience these days.

As someone graduating from college soon, you're making me sad. There never seems to be a happy middle ground. It's either, plenty of money for games/rig and no time to play, or no money and plenty of time.

As someone graduating from college soon, you're making me sad. There never seems to be a happy middle ground. It's either, plenty of money for games/rig and no time to play, or no money and plenty of time.

Eh, that's why single player games are so great. You can play when you want/have time and you don't have to deal with ANYONE. :D

I know one thing for sure. When I'm 70 or so, the population of retirement home gamers will be enormously larger than now. Kids will be complaining about games catering to old folk. (even though they will have a million choices of new games to chose from)

Eh, that's why single player games are so great. You can play when you want/have time and you don't have to deal with ANYONE. :D

I totally agree. Many seem to have forgotten that there are plenty of people that play games to get away from people, not to play with people.

Yeah, it becomes a job that you have to grind through with people and not walk away when you want. Coop is good though. With Magicka it was a blast. But sometimes single player just scratches that itch that not even coop can satisfy.

Some update coming in for Skyrim over Steam. Is this finalized patch 1.5?

Hoping that the two bugs bothering me are fixed, though they're not mentioned in the notes:
Can't find focusing crystal and turning in bounties to Jarl in Dawnstar doesn't clear them off journal.

I was happy to figure out what was causing my freezing issues yesterday - game would freeze within a second of loading a new area and random in-game freezing. Turned off the OC on my 6950 - gtg now.

Finally happy that I got my drivers for my DeathAdder 3.5G Left Handed fixed up, because since you can't change how the left and right click are (with a left handed mouse, the defaulted buttons are that left is right and right is left, when I wanted it like a right handed or ambi mouse). So now since Razer helped me out and I have it figured out, I might actually play Skyrim lol (trust me, the switch would of killed me).

But awesome that mounted combat is coming.

Good news potentially. Hope that mounted combat is solid.

It's not. At least, I don't think so. Bows are neat, but I don't get a crosshair while riding a horse. This might be due to the immersion mod, I don't recall if by default there is a crosshair while on horseback? Without a crosshair, its sort of hard to aim at anything thats not already in plain view.

For sword combat, you have a single sword. Left click = right side attack, right click = left side attack, which is a bit weird, but I suppose it matches the off horse controls. Hit detection seems off though. Really, it doesn't seem any different than unmounted combat. You'd think they would throw you a bone for the fact that you can be a lot less precise while running on a horse, but nope. So you still have to aim your attacks careful to connect. This means "drive bye" attacks are near impossible. You have to stop, aim, and attack. Might as well just get off.

Also, I don't recall seeing an enemies health bar when engaging someone. I wasn't sure how many whacks I had to kill someone. At the end of the day, anything potential good about mounted combat seems to be lost in the fact that everything can be done better on-foot, and then you also get shouts, magic, dual wield, critical hits, etc. There is nothing beneficial or rewarding to getting kills while on your horse. Its just too cumbersome.

They should have just stolen Red Dead Redemption's mounted combat concept. ;)

It's not. At least, I don't think so. Bows are neat, but I don't get a crosshair while riding a horse. This might be due to the immersion mod, I don't recall if by default there is a crosshair while on horseback? Without a crosshair, its sort of hard to aim at anything thats not already in plain view.

For sword combat, you have a single sword. Left click = right side attack, right click = left side attack, which is a bit weird, but I suppose it matches the off horse controls. Hit detection seems off though. Really, it doesn't seem any different than unmounted combat. You'd think they would throw you a bone for the fact that you can be a lot less precise while running on a horse, but nope. So you still have to aim your attacks careful to connect. This means "drive bye" attacks are near impossible. You have to stop, aim, and attack. Might as well just get off.

Also, I don't recall seeing an enemies health bar when engaging someone. I wasn't sure how many whacks I had to kill someone. At the end of the day, anything potential good about mounted combat seems to be lost in the fact that everything can be done better on-foot, and then you also get shouts, magic, dual wield, critical hits, etc. There is nothing beneficial or rewarding to getting kills while on your horse. Its just too cumbersome.

looks like they just put it in the game as a cool feature but didn't implement the mechanics correctly...from what you're saying it definitely doesn't offer any real benefits and seems like a pain in the ass

mounting attacks might be better against bigger targets like giants or dragons

I never use a horse anyway so it will not be much of a change for me. I always found the horses to be more of an annoyance than anything useful. Might be the class I play. As a mage or even normal swordsman I guess it would be beneficial but you can not sneak up on anyone while riding.

this isnt the typical i walked uphill both ways to school in a blizzard story

Kids today have everyfuckingthing. So if they get bored, something is too hard, something doesnt entertain them for more than 5 minutes, they move onto something else.

I had 3-5 tv channels, today kids have 300+. I had 1 computer. They have computer, ipad, ipod, xbox, DSi. I begged for my own land line phone. Kids today have there own iphones/androids.

I had an older car with manual windows a few years ago. i bet kids today wouldnt even know how to open the windows without a power button.

so kids back then (my generation) did have to put forth effort. We didnt have all the systems/games that todays kids have. So when we got something, it meant something.

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't get off on mounted combat? I swear every fantasy game ever made people bitch if if doesn't have mounted combat. Mounted combat does nothing for me and after watching the show case of Skyrim 1.6, I'm turned off even more. How can someone how a bow at full draw and ride around on a horse. Have these developers even shot a bow before?

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't get off on mounted combat? I swear every fantasy game ever made people bitch if if doesn't have mounted combat. Mounted combat does nothing for me and after watching the show case of Skyrim 1.6, I'm turned off even more. How can someone how a bow at full draw and ride around on a horse. Have these developers even shot a bow before?

I personally would love to cut someone's head off riding a horse in skyrim. Hopefully they implement this or some new death scene mods add it.

when is the expansion and stuff comming out for this?

i am still waiting to play this game. goty edition?

when is the expansion and stuff comming out for this?

i am still waiting to play this game. goty edition?

Dawnguard (the first official DLC) is supposed to arrive this summer. Bethesda has promised more details at E3.

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't get off on mounted combat? I swear every fantasy game ever made people bitch if if doesn't have mounted combat. Mounted combat does nothing for me and after watching the show case of Skyrim 1.6, I'm turned off even more.
I have no great desire for mounted combat, however I like the idea of mounted combat when it comes to things like just being able to knock down a person or bowl over a wolf instead of having them randomly chase you and you can do nothing about it.

Also the transition between free riding and then dismounting and then foot combat is often a bit crap. Having to slowly stop the horse and then clumsily get off while a wolf is chewing on your horse's arse.
How can someone how a bow at full draw and ride around on a horse. Have these developers even shot a bow before?
With great skill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mounted_archery

All that matters to me is that the navmesh bug is fixed and maybe even the LOD bug.

this isnt the typical i walked uphill both ways to school in a blizzard story

Kids today have everyfuckingthing. So if they get bored, something is too hard, something doesnt entertain them for more than 5 minutes, they move onto something else.

I had 3-5 tv channels, today kids have 300+. I had 1 computer. They have computer, ipad, ipod, xbox, DSi. I begged for my own land line phone. Kids today have there own iphones/androids.

I had an older car with manual windows a few years ago. i bet kids today wouldnt even know how to open the windows without a power button.

so kids back then (my generation) did have to put forth effort. We didnt have all the systems/games that todays kids have. So when we got something, it meant something.

Well, that's as good of an explanation as i could hope for. I wasn't allowed to watch TV, and only had an atari. So, for fun, we either played outside, or played on our 386. And it was a big deal when mom would take us to the shareware store in the mall and we got to pick out a new game.

Hey man, Indians did that shit. Have you played mount and blade? If not, then i understand why you don't get off to mounted combat.

That being said, M&B is the only game i've played that was able to pull it off.

Hey man, Indians did that shit. Have you played mount and blade? If not, then i understand why you don't get off to mounted combat.

That being said, M&B is the only game i've played that was able to pull it off.

Clearly he's never heard of the term cavalry.

I'd like to see it just for the convenience sake of not having to slow all the way down to dismount then get off the horse, kill whatever for 2 seconds then get back on. A stupid wolf will follow you forever, but they're barely worth the time to get off the horse to kill. So I just keep riding along hearing this inane snapping at Shadowmere's heels :(

Never fast travel to Bard's Leap Redoubt with your horse standing next to you. You will lose your horse permanently.

Clearly he's never heard of the term cavalry.

I'd like to see it just for the convenience sake of not having to slow all the way down to dismount then get off the horse, kill whatever for 2 seconds then get back on. A stupid wolf will follow you forever, but they're barely worth the time to get off the horse to kill. So I just keep riding along hearing this inane snapping at Shadowmere's heels :(

I'd like the ability to dive off my horse and tackle a mob, stunning it for 2 seconds :cool:

All that matters to me is that the navmesh bug is fixed and maybe even the LOD bug.

These need to be priority one.

I still wonder how many of the game's problems would cease to exist or never would have occurred in the first place where it not for the Radiant Quest system.

Back