Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Ughh, Morokei in Labyrinthian (the one who has the Staff of Magnus) is wrecking my face. I'm a 2h heavy armor type, so you can imagine how that goes against him. Any tips?

Edit: Lol, nevermind. Turns out 2h melee against him is incredibly easy. I just rushed him down with Berserker Rage on and Time Stop --> Power Attack when he was about to cast. He fell over in about 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Ughh, Morokei in Labyrinthian (the one who has the Staff of Magnus) is wrecking my face. I'm a 2h heavy armor type, so you can imagine how that goes against him. Any tips?

Edit: Lol, nevermind. Turns out 2h melee against him is incredibly easy. I just rushed him down with Berserker Rage on and Time Stop --> Power Attack when he was about to cast. He fell over in about 15 seconds.

2H power attacks are extremely strong. Definitely want to invest in stamina and the stamina reducing talent for a 2H build.

Anyone notice things "teleporting" away? I was watching one guy playing on the PC and he was about to shoot an animal near a lake, when all of the sudden int teleported to the other side. Another time I was watching a friend play on his PS3 and he was following this one woman for a quest and just as she was talking she disappeared only to come back a few minutes later.

Anyone notice things "teleporting" away? I was watching one guy playing on the PC and he was about to shoot an animal near a lake, when all of the sudden int teleported to the other side. Another time I was watching a friend play on his PS3 and he was following this one woman for a quest and just as she was talking she disappeared only to come back a few minutes later.

Only time I see something like that was I was mining in the Darkwater Crossing mine and an NPC was working the last node and I didn't want to wait for his animation to finish so I could mine the node and I just talked to him and then pushed my way and used the node, and he teleported to a different location in the mine.

I was following an NPC for a questline down into a cavern. He teleported almost half-way across the map, and i had to wait for him for like 5 hours to walk back. He got there, and acted as if he was waiting on ME!

I saw a deer appear in thin air about 200ft above the ground, and them plummet to his death. Does that count?

One question: Is there a minimum level in Lockpicking required to open Master level locks? I encountered one with only like level 19 in Lockpicking, and it seems like no matter where I turn the thing it breaks almost immediately, or after a few "tries". I've broken like 10 picks and still nothing even close to opening it.

I've seen stray things kind of start floating up into the sky from the ground. I remember that from Oblivion as well.

anyone that pre-ordered the game and received the premium world map notice the litte red x's scattered all around?...they have to be buried treasure or other secret locations right?...I already read about one buried treasure being found at 1 of those locations...makes sense to give people who pre-ordered the game something of value with it

I saw a deer appear in thin air about 200ft above the ground, and them plummet to his death. Does that count?

The only crazy thing I have seen in 24 hrs of play is the occasional weapon floating away.

I was leaving Whitehall and saw something in the sky. I initially thought it was a dragon or maybe a bugged "bird", but as a I bit closer I saw what looked awfully like one of the clubs the giants have. Sure as shit as soon as I got close enough there was dead Giant (I have no idea what killed him) and straight above him was a club floating away. A few hours later I saw the same effect at one of the forts I cleared, came out of the dungeon and weapons of the deceased Silver hands were floating straight up about 20 feet above the ground.

I've found a lot of my dragon battles end up with the dragon glitching and screwing up, making the battle pathetically easy.

One question: Is there a minimum level in Lockpicking required to open Master level locks? I encountered one with only like level 19 in Lockpicking, and it seems like no matter where I turn the thing it breaks almost immediately, or after a few "tries". I've broken like 10 picks and still nothing even close to opening it.
I've picked Master level locks before and I was maybe mid-20ish. I don't think a Master level lock is ever impossible for even a novice level thief to pick, it's just less forgiving.

It just requires a light touch. Give a knife a quick tap and if it shows no sign of turning, then immediately stop and try a different angle with the lockpick. Don't try to force things or you'll break even more picks. Basically I start at the 9pm position and start moving clockwise with my attempts. The higher the lock level, the less forgiving it is and the closer you have to be to the right position for it to work. For novice level lock for example, it has a wide range of positions where it will be possible to succeed from. For master, that will narrow to a range of only a few degrees of the half circle.

That about sums up my knowledge of lockpicking. Personally, I enjoy the act of manually picking locks. Sort of a fun little mini game.

I've picked Master level locks before and I was maybe mid-20ish. I don't think a Master level lock is ever impossible for even a novice level thief to pick, it's just less forgiving.

It just requires a light touch. Give a knife a quick tap and if it shows no sign of turning, then immediately stop and try a different angle with the lockpick. Don't try to force things or you'll break even more picks. Basically I start at the 9pm position and start moving clockwise with my attempts. The higher the lock level, the less forgiving it is and the closer you have to be to the right position for it to work. For novice level lock for example, it has a wide range of positions where it will be possible to succeed from. For master, that will narrow to a range of only a few degrees of the half circle.

That about sums up my knowledge of lockpicking. Personally, I enjoy the act of manually picking locks. Sort of a fun little mini game.

I think I prefer the Oblivion way, where you could kind of listen for the right sound and it had an element of skill - this new way just seems like random chance, just keep trying new angles until it works.

I don't think so at all. TES4's was tedious at first when you're a noob, but devote enough of your time to the game and you'll become damn proficient at it.

The Fallout 3 method is boring IMO.

I think I'm gonna shelve Skyrim untill some UI mods are released and we get us a high res texture pack. Any rumors on an ETA for both?

I used the making of iron daggers to grind smiting levels to 100. But in the process I noticed the improvements on basic weapons reduces the need for upgrading types of weapons and armor. But I can assure you there is reason to build higher level armor, yes you have to upgrade it to make it better than your already improved items. The end result is more than worth it though. The best part with the upgrade system is that when you upgrade an item you will upgrade it to the highest level you can the first time, not just one level. With my level 100 smiting when I upgrade anything it goes to legendary condition no mater what its condition was.

Thanks for that! Good to know I don't have to keep throwing resources at stuff through the 5 levels when upgrading from the basic orcish/ebony/dragon gear. I'll finish leveling smithing tonight.

This game looks amazing in 3d vision. It only needs a fix for the skys being at the wrong depth which thankfully isn't too bad and the water reflections.

I'm watching some Let's Plays on YouTube on there's one thing that they ALL have in common.
No one is using the fucking hotkeys! I can't stand watching these idiots hit their Q button and scroll though 20 spells every time. I'm so frustrated.

Bethesda really dropped the ball on that feature.
When you hit Q for the first time, it should give you a pop-up that says "You can hotkey Favorites by pressing a number".

Thanks for that! Good to know I don't have to keep throwing resources at stuff through the 5 levels when upgrading from the basic orcish/ebony/dragon gear. I'll finish leveling smithing tonight.

That might be seen as kinda cheesy? To each their own though of course.

Don't forget to find some smithing gear. It helps improve your armor quite a bit.

Just a heads up, since I know many of you are probably doing it.

Do NOT skip out on reading the books, or at least flip through the pages of them.

I didn't know this but I was just going through some books in Whiterun, at the Jarl's castle. In the Wizards room at the back-left (as you come in from the main hall) there is another small room with a couple of bookshelves. There are two books in there that once you read them, it will open up two new quests for you, one for an ancient murder-mystery about a great mage and his sons, another to find a hero's lost weapon.

Both sound quite intringuing and something unexpected, especially considering how many people probably don't bother even reading most of the books in the game.

Just a heads up, since I know many of you are probably doing it.

Do NOT skip out on reading the books, or at least flip through the pages of them.

I didn't know this but I was just going through some books in Whiterun, at the Jarl's castle. In the Wizards room at the back-left (as you come in from the main hall) there is another small room with a couple of bookshelves. There are two books in there that once you read them, it will open up two new quests for you, one for an ancient murder-mystery about a great mage and his sons, another to find a hero's lost weapon.

Both sound quite intringuing and something unexpected, especially considering how many people probably don't bother even reading most of the books in the game.

cool thanks for the info. i woulda prolly missed em.

Got my Collectors Edition game guide today. Disappointed at the lack of extras in it. The DX:HR guide had an interview with the developers and artwork in the back.

Aside from that, it's pretty cool. Much better than the paperback guides. I can see myself using it as a reference more than anything. With a game like Skyrim you don't really need a walkthrough.

Good for collectors but I can only recommend it if you can get a good deal on it. I paid $23 on Amazon but wouldn't buy it at full price.

The Red Eagle quest (gained from reading a book) was quite cool, though I'll warn you that the conclusion was quite... anti-climactic

The Red Eagle quest (gained from reading a book) was quite cool, though I'll warn you that the conclusion was quite... anti-climactic

oh, I have that one, just haven't gotten around to traveling to the west.... I'm bump that up in my list of quests to do

Got my Collectors Edition game guide today. Disappointed at the lack of extras in it. The DX:HR guide had an interview with the developers and artwork in the back.

Aside from that, it's pretty cool. Much better than the paperback guides. I can see myself using it as a reference more than anything. With a game like Skyrim you don't really need a walkthrough.

Good for collectors but I can only recommend it if you can get a good deal on it. I paid $23 on Amazon but wouldn't buy it at full price.

Interesting. I'd like to get the CE guide, but it's OOS everywhere and from what I hear they're not printing more. Thinking I should just get the paperback. Anyone heard anything about the CE guide situation?

Interesting. I'd like to get the CE guide, but it's OOS everywhere and from what I hear they're not printing more. Thinking I should just get the paperback. Anyone heard anything about the CE guide situation?

I should have gotten the CE guide when it was available for 23 bucks, now everyone is sold out and they are going for over 60.

I'm thinking about getting the regular guide if it offers more than a simple quest walkthrough.

Yeah I did Red Eagle quest. It wasn't that great, but still somewhat interesting.

Hehe, earlier everyone was making fun of me for getting the CE guide, but it is my precious! I think I paid something like $23 too. Actually probably the best deal I've ever got on a book that has this much work into it as far as the content, artwork, and quality. If this were a college textbook it'd be $600 lol. I've used it twice so far to look up random things, and it's damn handy and easy to use.

I have 43 hours played and I have a hankering to start a second character. Are the save games kept seperate or is my quick/auto save going to be overwritten and my other save games too? I know theres been a few people who have made more than one character on here....

I have 43 hours played and I have a hankering to start a second character. Are the save games kept seperate or is my quick/auto save going to be overwritten and my other save games too? I know theres been a few people who have made more than one character on here....
On your current character, open the Save menu and make a "New Save".
That save will exist forever unless you manually delete it.

Just backup your saves you have now in case, even if they overwirte (the autosaves, I think the manual saves will be perfectly fine) you'll still have the backups so no worries.

I should have gotten the CE guide when it was available for 23 bucks, now everyone is sold out and they are going for over 60.

I'm thinking about getting the regular guide if it offers more than a simple quest walkthrough.

It's the exact same as the CE except not hardcover. If it's anything like the Oblivion guide it offers a LOT more than just quest walkthroughs.

I'm just wondering if I should grab the normal version now or wait to see if the CE will resurface anywhere.

Need some help. I'm looking for an Elder Scroll and have been going through this dungeon for over an hour, I got to the point where there's the huge rotating ball that you can move by pressing two buttons to the right but a piece is missing on the left so you can't press those buttons. What to do?

Back