Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

So, is Skyrim using Steamworks this time around? (IE Can I buy it at D2D and activate on Steam)?

Just curious, I'll buy it anyway.

Yes, Skyrim is steamworks, so it will activate on steam. What I want to know though, is does D2D release the keys early so that you can preload with the people who purchased from steam?

If the download really does weigh in at 16GB, I don't want to be plugging in my key at midnight while Steam's servers are getting hammered. I want to be able to unlock the game and go play it right away.

Yes, Skyrim is steamworks, so it will activate on steam. What I want to know though, is does D2D release the keys early so that you can preload with the people who purchased from steam?

If the download really does weigh in at 16GB, I don't want to be plugging in my key at midnight while Steam's servers are getting hammered. I want to be able to unlock the game and go play it right away.

Probably why I'll get it on disc. That install is still a lot faster than any download speed by a considerable degree.

Don't count on it. If the Steam download version is newer than the disk version then it will download from Steam and ignore the disk. That has annoyed many people wo bought disk versions of Steam games for the same reason.

Steam better not mess up modding. To use mods in Steam you have to set the game not to auto-update but if the developer chooses they can ignore that setting and force an update. That just happened to me 2 weeks ago with a Steam game. Was using a beta patch so set the game not to auto-update but when the patch got an official update it installed anyway without me even changing the do not update this game option.

I don't know why so many people think Steam is a good thing. With Steam you truly are just renting the games and never really own them to do as you please with them. I love how Gabe claims he is against DRM when Steam is DRM and they can block you from your Steam account at any time they wish.

Don't count on it. If the Steam download version is newer than the disk version then it will download from Steam and ignore the disk. That has annoyed many people wo bought disk versions of Steam games for the same reason.

Damn.

Steam better not mess up modding. To use mods in Steam you have to set the game not to auto-update but if the developer chooses they can ignore that setting and force an update. That just happened to me 2 weeks ago with a Steam game. Was using a beta patch so set the game not to auto-update but when the patch got an official update it installed anyway without me even changing the do not update this game option.

I haven't had any problems with Oblivion or the Fallout games via Steam concerning mods. Disable auto update in a worse case scenario.

I don't know why so many people think Steam is a good thing. With Steam you truly are just renting the games and never really own them to do as you please with them. I love how Gabe claims he is against DRM when Steam is DRM and they can block you from your Steam account at any time they wish.

Because Steam is awesome and Origin and everything else not Steam isn't. Don't you people learn? ;)

Howard's End: Skyrim game director catches man in bedroom with in-game wife

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/27/h...tor-catches-man-in-bedroom-with-in-game-wife/

Howard's End: Skyrim game director catches man in bedroom with in-game wife
Henry Winchester at 02:44pm October 27 2011

On top of Fallout 3 influences and crime-reporting chickens, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim introduces a new concept: infidelity. Game director Todd Howard spilled all the dark secrets from his bedroom when he spoke to us about the intentional but unexpected events that Skyrim's procedural Radiant quest system can turn up.

"I had decided to marry this one woman who was my friend," Howard begins. "I forgot that I had done this Radiant quest for this other guy, who turns out he had liked her..."

Despite a bright start, Howard's new virtual marriage wasn't an entirely happy one. "When you get married, you can decide where you live - if you own a house, your spouse can move in with you, or you can move in with them," says Howard. "So I had owned a house in the city of Whiterun, and asked her, `OK we should live there.' I went there, and she hadn't arrived yet, so I decided to wait - I slept."

Despite being sound asleep in his own home, an interloper arrived. "Then she showed up, and I turned around and she was standing there, I saw another door open to another bedroom and the other guy walked out!" says Howard. "If you make him like her, he then visits her every day, and doesn't care if she's married."

"It's my wedding night, guy walks out of the bedroom!"

The "Radiant" feature Howard refers to is Skyrim's unique storytelling engine, which changes NPC's roles in the world depending on your choices during quests. And also provides enough storylines for another three years of Eastenders.

That sounds pretty hilarious.

I hope Radiant AI in this game produces some of the same epic quirks that were in Oblivion- like sniping a guy with a bow, having his friend notice his dead buddy adn then attack the nearest guy with a bow to seek vengence.

Don't worry too much, in the cases where I've purchased a retail copy of a Steamworks game (which was Fallout: New Vegas), I was able to install the majority of the game from the CD, but I had to download the last 5% or so from Steam before I could actually play it (that last 5% consisted of nothing but patches, FYI).

Last edited:

For me it has just updated. But how Steam updates is kind of inefficient depending on the game which may make it need to download a very large update. The Witcher 2 is the most notorious example of this.

Newell also considers "Apple to be very closed" and that the game industry would have a troubling future if it follows that model.

Honestly this type of irony is all over industry in general. Its okay as long as we doing it!

Every D2D release I've preordered allowed preloading. You can actually download the installer off them (direct link, manager is optional) instead so it installs similar to retail and the way I choose, rather than entering a key into either Steam or Origin.

the strategy guide is confirmed to be 655 pages! I guess that is a good sign of how deep and complex the gameplay could be.

the strategy guide is confirmed to be 655 pages! I guess that is a good sign of how deep and complex the gameplay could be.

It could simply be because of all the new gameplay interactions/features (like getting married, etc), no?

I lost interest in both FO3 and Vegas once I'd hit my level peak{after I knew the ending}...I also noticed that you could probably go close to hitting peak just by "killing" everything, lol.....I guess that's optional though, but I thought the whole point of the quests{apart from their own benefits} was to obtain XP...

With such a lengthy game, I hope you don't peak at 35hrs or something....

You can mod the level caps out of FO3/Vegas.
I put 70 hours into FO3 and ended up somewhere around level 35.

You can mod the level caps out of FO3/Vegas.
I put 70 hours into FO3 and ended up somewhere around level 35.

Yes, but there's arguably no point though.
I think at L30 in VEGAS I was 100 on science, repair, speech, small guns and lockpick, plus 50 or higher on medicine.

Some new footage (music is from Alan Wake though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm80VuP1q0I&feature=player_embedded

And artworks and their in-game counterpart - http://www.eurogamer.cz/videos/the-concept-art-of-skyrim

These 14 days will be the longest.

Wow, game looks excellent even if it's only 6GB, people gotta remember Morrowind was only 1GB at launch and it was pretty massive, with Skyrim they used better compression, no cgi, and none of the memory hog stuff a lot of games do these days like long cinematic videos. So I can easily see the game being only 6GB.

Definitely looking forward to this title and the mods that will be made for it.

I guess I should start apologizing to my 5870 right now.
Oh, the burden it must bear... :eek:

Wow, game looks excellent even if it's only 6GB, people gotta remember Morrowind was only 1GB at launch and it was pretty massive, with Skyrim they used better compression, no cgi, and none of the memory hog stuff a lot of games do these days like long cinematic videos. So I can easily see the game being only 6GB.

Definitely looking forward to this title and the mods that will be made for it.

Morrowind came out quite a bit ago. Like 2002. If 6gb is massive to you, I found some foodstamps you can have.

So, is Skyrim using Steamworks this time around? (IE Can I buy it at D2D and activate on Steam)?

Just curious, I'll buy it anyway.

Steamworks games blow. $teamonopoly.

Origin and D2D should get it too

Hopefully Amazon will come through with a deal. can't stand giving money to Valve since they don't release AAA titles anymore

Based on the HD vids about the place, this looks better than FO3 by every criteria, but water whilst looking good, has some weird animation.
That said, most commentators say the game is gorgeous, so hopefully it'll be decent out the box...

Hopefully that huge guide is to detail and map out all the various dungeons, caves, etc and secrets.

I may get the guide but only after I've played enough of it that I feel like I need help finding all the stuff. I'm a huge completionist when it comes to that. The sightseer perk in fallout is one of my favorites as it shows where all the places to go are.

All pre orders get the map, IIRC.

At least physical retail.

But he linked to a set that includes the map and the strategy guide...although the way the math works out it's more or less left hand vs right hand for the most part.

I guess my point really just is: I wish they'd had put out a CE a tier below the thing with the statue. Give me an artbook and a soundtrack plus the game with whatever launch day bonuses at fairly compelling price point and I'll bite every time.

At least physical retail.

But he linked to a set that includes the map and the strategy guide...although the way the math works out it's more or less left hand vs right hand for the most part.

I guess my point really just is: I wish they'd had put out a CE a tier below the thing with the statue. Give me an artbook and a soundtrack plus the game with whatever launch day bonuses at fairly compelling price point and I'll bite every time.

Yea the main things I want from a CE are the artbook and soundtrack (lossless please). Maybe bundle in the promotional footage and/or some dev commentary/making of. The DLC bonuses would be great as well.

DXHR augmentation was the near perfect type of CE for me, had all that stuff and only $10 more, although the artbook wasn't very beefy. Witcher 2 was as well and it was free, but soundtrack wasn't lossless :p.

The huge premiums for statues and and etc. is too much for me. You can basically buy 2 more(maybe 3 more) new games for the same price or even that SSD upgrade I want.

Hopefully Amazon will come through with a deal. can't stand giving money to Valve since they don't release AAA titles anymore

If it was on Origin people would call for a boycott lol.

It's already on D2D...and you can get it for 45 bucks on there with the IGN prime free trial.

Back