Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Any of you higher level sneaky backstabby type guys find anything you can't 1-hit (well, one power attack...so like 4 hits) kill with a sneak attack?

Two beyond legendary daggers + Assassin's Blade perk + power attack perks from 1-handed tree + Ancient Shrouded Gloves + Orc's Berserker Rage power = KERSPLAT!

I 1-shot almost anything as an archer via sneak attack, archer perks, and enchanted archery items. I once took out 6 dreugar wights that all popped out of ther caskets surrounding me without a single of of them detecting me in a 10 X 80 hallway. Good times.

Yeah. I think the spell is called Calm. There are also Fear-related spells/enchants that cause creatures of a certain level or lower to flee. But none of them are actually permanent AFAIK.

I'm curious, what is the difference between calm and fear? Their descriptions make them sound like exactly the same effect (basically a CC), but calm sounds better as you won't have to chase the dude around.

...and remapped gamepad buttons still break the game like in 1.2.
If activate is anything but "A" then the menus won't work.

I'm curious, what is the difference between calm and fear? Their descriptions make them sound like exactly the same effect (basically a CC), but calm sounds better as you won't have to chase the dude around.

Pretty sure it's like: Fear makes them run away from you, Calm just makes them sit there in a daze.

Not much difference in terms of what actually happens to them (they become docile), but one forces them away where the other they just sit there.

...and remapped gamepad buttons still break the game like in 1.2.
If activate is anything but "A" then the menus won't work.

autohotkey if you're looking for a temp. fix. got my numpad mapped to WASD, so the game doesn't spaz.

I witnessed an awesome Radiant AI moment last night.

I was on a special quest to eliminate everyone in an area through stealthy means. At one point I came to some slats nailed to a wall with a large opening that allowed me to see a big cave that held 4 different enemies. I shot one down with my bow, which made the 2 guys near him freak out and run to the body.

When they stopped moving near the body, I took aim and shot another one of them. The guy I shot then reacts by pulling out his sword and attacking the guy next to him! The 2 of them duke it out for about 20 seconds before the one I didn't hit falls to his knees. I waited for a couple of seconds then shot the guy who was still standing at the same time the other guy stood back up. The guy I hit pulls out his sword again and kills the other dude for me!

The whole time this was happening, the 4th guy in the room was standing in the corner, hitting the wall with his pickaxe.

I witnessed an awesome Radiant AI moment last night.

I was on a special quest to eliminate everyone in an area through stealthy means. At one point I came to some slats nailed to a wall with a large opening that allowed me to see a big cave that held 4 different enemies. I shot one down with my bow, which made the 2 guys near him freak out and run to the body.

When they stopped moving near the body, I took aim and shot another one of them. The guy I shot then reacts by pulling out his sword and attacking the guy next to him! The 2 of them duke it out for about 20 seconds before the one I didn't hit falls to his knees. I waited for a couple of seconds then shot the guy who was still standing at the same time the other guy stood back up. The guy I hit pulls out his sword again and kills the other dude for me!

The whole time this was happening, the 4th guy in the room was standing in the corner, hitting the wall with his pickaxe.

That sounds like horrible ai to me

Also, regarding the patch..."Core 2 Duo improvements"? Lol what? I thought this game only used 2 cores, anyway. What it needs is a quad-core improvement.

**eyes aging C2D**

Nope, nope, it's all good. :D

Not that I really thought the game needed optimization, but every little bit helps.

I have not joined either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials. Are there any negatives to picking one? Specifically, will I run into trouble getting to my house in Solitude if I join the Stormcloaks?

I have not joined either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials. Are there any negatives to picking one? Specifically, will I run into trouble getting to my house in Solitude if I join the Stormcloaks?

no trouble, this game is too stupid to do something like that.

I got my house in solitude and I joined the stormcloaks.

Like mentioned, there really isn't any consequence to choices you make in the game, aside from a very small handfull.

Like mentioned, there really isn't any consequence to choices you make in the game, aside from a very small handfull.

I think it was you that I saw yesterday make reference to Fallout New Vegas as doing a number of things along those lines better. I would tend to agree.

Specifically, will I run into trouble getting to my house in Solitude if I join the Stormcloaks?

I was wondering about that as well...if I join 1 side will I still be able to enter certain major cities?...for example if I join the Imperials will I still have access to Windhelm (Stormcloak city)?

I was wondering about that as well...if I join 1 side will I still be able to enter certain major cities?...for example if I join the Imperials will I still have access to Windhelm (Stormcloak city)?

I did the quest for imperials all at once and did not visit there except for the quest so can't tell you that. However I'm currently bugged and can't buy the house there or get the quest related to it. I haven't dug around to see if there is a fix for the problem or what caused it but you might want to get your houses before choosing.

I think it was you that I saw yesterday make reference to Fallout New Vegas as doing a number of things along those lines better. I would tend to agree.

So far, my favorite parts of Skyrim are the more immense Dwemer ruins. The one that goes several levels down the side of a glacier was particularly enjoyable.

It just kinda falls apart when I treat it like an RPG. I like to feel a game world change dynamically with the choices I make as a character. There should also be negatives and positives to the way you roll and specialize a character. By that, I don't mean being punished by broken mechanics.

You can even look at Nehrim to see an RPG that has joinable factions and consequence to actions.

Level, world, and dungeon design is pretty damn good, though. I can treat the game like an action/adventure/exploration sim and still enjoy myself.

It has no real impact one way or the other.

So far, my favorite parts of Skyrim are the more immense Dwemer ruins. The one that goes several levels down the side of a glacier was particularly enjoyable.

It just kinda falls apart when I treat it like an RPG. I like to feel a game world change dynamically with the choices I make as a character. There should also be negatives and positives to the way you roll and specialize a character. By that, I don't mean being punished by broken mechanics.

You can even look at Nehrim to see an RPG that has joinable factions and consequence to actions.

Level, world, and dungeon design is pretty damn good, though. I can treat the game like an action/adventure/exploration sim and still enjoy myself.

I'm still somewhat convinced myself that Nehrim was a backdoor, unofficial alpha to this game.

Definitely. I love this game and it does a LOT if not most things right for me.

The Dwemers are fascinating and there's a backbone of real mystery there that I wouldn't mind seeing developed more at all.

I was simply agreeing with you on a few of the things that something recent like a Fallout New Vegas did a little better terms of dialog and consequences of decisions and such.

Pretty sure it's like: Fear makes them run away from you, Calm just makes them sit there in a daze.

Not much difference in terms of what actually happens to them (they become docile), but one forces them away where the other they just sit there.

That's what i thought, though i'm surprised to see that you can chat with your enemies when they're calm.

Are there any damage over time spells in any of the trees?

I never played FO:NV, but did play Nehrim... and completely agree. Skyrim falls flat on its face when you try to roleplay anything other than a serial killer... when i first began playing and saw how many factions there were, and on top of it a civil war brewing, i was really excited to see the world change as the civil war progressed. To hear that it's as simple as the guards in a city changing their uniforms, well--that's pretty disapointing. There should be certain towns that are completely wiped out due to the wars, there should be refugee camps springing up, etc. but alas--I'll bet SureAI is already cooking up ideas for their followup to Nehrim with the new skyrim modding tools on their way. THIS is what i can't wait for now =P

Last edited:
I never played FO:NV, but did play Nehrim... and completely agree. Skyrim falls flat on its face when you try to roleplay anything other than a serial killer... when i first began playing and saw how many factions there were, and on top of it a civil war brewing, i was really excited to see the world change as the civil war progressed. To hear that it's as simple as the guards in a city changing their uniforms, well--that's pretty disapointing. There should be certain towns that are completely wiped out due to the wars, there should be refugee camps springing up, etc. but alas--I'll bet SureAI is already cooking up ideas for their followup to Nehrim with the new skyrim modding tools on their way. THIS is what i can't wait for now =P

Indeed. SureAI will turn some heads at some point with whatever they decide to do with this, no doubt.

Dwemer Ruins are interesting, but fuck, sometimes they can be some long mother fuckers.

That's what i thought, though i'm surprised to see that you can chat with your enemies when they're calm.

Are there any damage over time spells in any of the trees?

I think the only damage over time thing you can do is poison, but I'm not totally sure.

the Dwemer ruins almost seem out of place to me...all those mechanical creatures and layout seem like leftovers from Fallout 3

Anyone know any hints and tips on how to make and gain more gold in this game? im level 13 by the way

Enchanting banish on iron daggers you make = wealthy enough to do whatever.

Enchanting banish on iron daggers you make = wealthy enough to do whatever.

Yep. Also, try to level up Speech so you can get the perks that allow you to sell to any merchant and invest in them as well. Really helps.

I invested in several merchants and usually they have about 1600 gold apiece, but for some reason I invested in the house wizard in Solitude and she had like over 10k gold. :eek:

Then again, I am level 52 and have over 250k gold, so money is not really an issue. I haven't bought the big house in Solitude yet, though.

Out of curiosity, is the number that is like XX.XX.XX in your save games the amount of time you've played?

Whats banish?

Look for weapons or armor that have magic abilities on them. Take them to the arcane enchanter and disenchant them. You learn the spells that are found on them. Find a weapon that makes enemies flee, then put that spell on the daggers you make.

I check them. No dice. ... though it is a bit tempting to do a little:

"player.additem be189 1"

Literally every single vendor I've come across carries at least 1 it seems like. I normally buy magic items from vendors and disenchant them.

I've noticed that after the third patch that the game CTD's a lot more. I removed all mods and textures/meshes and the CTD's have stopped.

Back