Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

20220607044839_1.jpg

Vertigo for real usually it doesn't matter but one wrong step unless you have the height fallen spells.

Major Changes Included in the Latest Update​

Additional elements

• In transactions with the NPC "Twin Maiden Husk", the following Bell Bearing items have been changed so that their liberated status will be carried over to the NG+ play.
  • Bone Peddler's Bell Bearing/Meat Peddler's Bell Bearing/Medicine Peddler's Bell Bearing/Gravity Stone Peddler's Bell Bearing/Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing/Somberstone Miner's Bell Bearing/Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing/Ghost-Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing
  • Added emphasis to the choice of the Sacred Flask and several other options that can be strengthened in the grace menu
  • Added sound effects when other players' summon signs appear

Bug fixes

• Fixed a bug where equipment could be changed from the equipment menu during the use of a skill under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug in the "War Cry" skill where the effect was applied to a weapon that was not the target of the skill.
  • Fixed a bug where some actions of the "Barbaric Roar", "War Cry", and "Troll's Roar" recovery time was longer than expected.
  • Fixed a bug where the effects of the "Determination" and "Royal Knight's Resolve" skill does not always wear off with certain weapons.
  • Fixed a bug in which some attacks of the "Ice Spear" skill are unguardable.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the attack power of some skills to be reduced when using the "Golden Vow" skill.
  • Fixed a bug that the light wave of the "Moonlight Greatsword" skill sometimes does not aim at the locked-on target.
  • Fixed a bug that caused damage to allies when using the "Seppuku" skill under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the increase in attack power of the "Seppuku" skill to be higher than expected for some attack motions.
  • Fixed a bug in which a status effect was applied when using the "Hoarah Loux's Earthshaker" skill.
  • Fixed a bug where the "Waves of Darkness" skill would not hit the enemy with a spinning cleave.
  • Fixed a bug that caused unintended motions to be played when switching to a different sorceries or incantations while using a sorcery or incantation.
  • Fixed a bug that the FP consumption increased when using the sorceries "Magma Shot" and "Roiling Magma" while riding a horse.
  • Fixed a bug where the “Claw Talisman” effect was not applied when jumping with the "Starscourge Greatsword" in both hands.
  • Fixed a bug that the power of two-handed attacks except jump attack of the weapon "Golem's Halberd " is different from expected.
  • Fixed a bug that when using the weapon "Pulley Crossbow" with the left hand while the right hand weapon was given an attribute by magic or item, the effect was given to the "Pulley Crossbow" as well.
  • Fixed a bug in which arrows and bolts that did not match the type of long-range weapon could be released in certain procedures.
  • Fixed a bug in which guard boost was reduced when some weapons were strengthened to the maximum.
  • Fixed a bug in which the attributes of weapons could be changed while the inventory had reached its maximum capacity and the ashes of war could not be changed.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the boss "Malenia, Goddess of Rot" to have low HP under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed enemies to be attacked from outside the fog in certain areas.
  • Fixed a bug in online multiplayer where, when a boss is defeated in the host's world as a cooperative player, the same boss may not appear in your world.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the battle with the boss "God-Devouring Serpent" from progressing under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented hostile NPCs from appearing under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the event of the NPC "Alexander, Warrior Jar" from progressing under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed an issue where the item "Sacred Flask" is not restored after destroying a group of enemies under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that under certain circumstances, after defeating the boss "Starscourge Radahn", the user could not move from the map to the grace.
*If you cannot move from the map to the grace, you can move to the grace by touching the grace "Starscourge Radahn”.

• Fixed a bug that prevented found sites of grace from registering on the map under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented some graces from being able to be touched when approached under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed hostile guests to enter boss areas under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented a critical hit from behind from hitting in hostile multiplayer.
  • Fixed a bug that caused performance to slow down when the "Sentry's Torch" weapon was equipped under certain circumstances.
  • Improved stability of online multiplayer between PS4 and PS5
  • Improved loading times for the Xbox Series X|S version
  • Fixed a bug that the master volume setting was not reflected in some cutscenes
  • Improved stability of online multiplayer.
  • Fixed a bug that caused sounds to play differently than expected in some situations.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the player to become inoperable and die in certain locations.
  • Fixed a bug in which the drawing and hit detection were different than expected in some maps.
  • Fixed a bug in some maps that allowed players to reach unexpected locations with certain procedures.
  • Fixed some texts.
  • Several other performance improvements and bug fixes

Additions and modifications for PC version only

• Added keyboard/mouse operations that can be input in "PRESS ANY BUTTON" on the title screen.
  • Added "Return to Desktop" to the system item on the main menu for exiting the game.
  • Changed so that mouse click input is not reflected when switching windows to active.
  • Fixed a bug that slowed performance when changing "Screen Mode" and "Resolution" in a special procedure.
https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-105

I appreciate all the bugs they are fixing along with rebalancing...but...unleash ray-tracing!!...at least mention a timeframe...I'm beginning to think we won't see it until the first DLC is released

Last edited:
It wouldn't shock me if they just backtracked on the whole ray tracing thing. If it does show up, it'll probably be with a DLC release or some kind of "year 2" update. Can't say I even care if they ever add it - I don't really think it'll gain much from it.

Anyone who previously had issues with stutters or performance dips notice an improvement with new patches? I haven’t played in a bit because the uneven stutters and pauses were causing a lot of frustration so I decided to give it some time.

Anyone who previously had issues with stutters or performance dips notice an improvement with new patches? I haven’t played in a bit because the uneven stutters and pauses were causing a lot of frustration so I decided to give it some time.

One of the things I noticed is that my performance would tank on the day of an update, but it would be fine the next day. It would do that thing where the game pauses and then things speed up to like 3x normal for a few seconds, like in a laggy online game. I assume it's network related, with everyone DL'ing the patch and players coming back to see what's new. Luckily it's only for a day and it only happens after first loading the game up. Performance-wise, I read that making the shader cache unlimited (in the Nvidia panel) helps a lot of people. I did that and never had any issues, but that might be placebo.

Makes me think that if you are looking for ray tracing in this game you are missing the point.

no...From Soft announced that RT would be coming soon after launch...yes the gameplay is most important but nothing wrong with wanting to play with the highest eye candy as well...I have more hours in all the From Software games than anyone on this forum so I think I know what makes these games good (I'm sure I'll also eventually have the most hours played in Elden Ring on this forum despite missing the launch window)...this is the first From game since DS1 on PC that I've not played on Day 1...waiting was hardest immediately after the game launched, now it's easier as I've already waited 4 months

waiting also allowed me to play and finish some games in my backlog while more bug fixes and performance issues are fixed...nothing wrong with waiting to play a game as you'll end up with a better overall experience

Last edited:
I got bored and decided to go ahead and complete Farum Azula and the final bosses on NG+. I kept a prior save just in case the DLC is based on where you are in the story, though.
That's definitely one of the better final areas in a Fromsoft game. Challenging, but still manageable. It also gives you a sense of how far you've come to get to that point, too. On the other hand, the final bosses = still lame as hell. Holy damage, heavy hits, random full-on invincibility, constant warping away, seeking and AOE attacks. The list goes on and on, and it's simply not a fun fight. Yet Godfrey/Loux is a pretty neat fight. I wish that was the end of the line instead.
Anyway, at this point I've kinda done all there is to do prior to the DLC. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long.

From Software usually releases DLC within 4-6 months...Dark Souls 2 first DLC came out 4 months later and DS3 DLC came out 6 months later...but Elden Ring is a much bigger game so it's definitely going to be on the longer end...so maybe by October

Armored Core 6?

From Software’s next game in final stages of development, Elden Ring updates coming

In the interview, Miyazaki indicates that he’s in the process of directing his next game and that he wants to tackle a more “abstract” approach to fantasy...but Miyazaki isn’t the only one sitting in the director’s chair at From Software; he says multiple games are in development lead by other staffers...the developer is growing (and improving its wages), Miyazaki says, and like many other game developers, is recruiting for new talent...

https://www.polygon.com/23181540/fromsoftware-elden-ring-armored-core-hidetaka-miyazaki

I really tried to like this game, but dislike it a lot. I have about 8 hours in and no particular desire to return to the world of ... I forgot, actually. Eldenville, hopefully.

I feel like I'm fighting controls, maybe because I'm supposed to use fighting controls (hah, nice one Phase!) or something.
Graphics often look like some setting was accidentally set to "low". That's not it, it's just old looking.
I really have zero attachment to whatever the story is.

Seems like an impedance mismatch for me personally. No harm no foul.

I really tried to like this game, but dislike it a lot. I have about 8 hours in and no particular desire to return to the world of ... I forgot, actually. Eldenville, hopefully.

I feel like I'm fighting controls, maybe because I'm supposed to use fighting controls (hah, nice one Phase!) or something.
Graphics often look like some setting was accidentally set to "low". That's not it, it's just old looking.

I understand that sentiment; Plus it's a very hard game. Initially that's how I thought myself (no experience with From Software games). Switching to a controller makes fighting exponentially better than using Keyboard and mouse. I enjoyed the game but I stopped playing it due to ti's difficulty. I simply don't have the time to invest in beating various bosses that requires you to die an ungodly number of times before you figure out how to beat them. Good game overall, but it's for people who can spend almost limitless time playing it; I'm not one of those.

Last edited:
I simply don't have the time to invest in beating various bosses that requires you to die an ungodly number of times before you figure out how to beat them. Good game overall, but it's for people who can spend almost limitless time playing it; I'm not one of those.
I have the same thought, but now I'm fascinated by that thought.
I played MMOs in "server first" guilds for a long time, and that meant grinding on bosses and mechanics endlessly and mercilessly until you found the magic formula. I liked it then.

I guess for me, tastes have changed with age and a shrinking of "gaming hours", where repetition feels like I should be doing something else. Looking forward to Baldur's Gate 3. :)

I simply don't have the time to invest in beating various bosses that requires you to die an ungodly number of times before you figure out how to beat them.
You really don't have to spend hours memorizing every single boss though. The game gives you so many options which equate to "easy mode." Level the crap out of your character and weapon, use your buffs, and don't be afraid to summon help (whether it be a spirit summon or a co-op partner). There's no shame in that. It makes the game easier and perhaps a bit less rewarding but in return you get so many hours of your life back.

I leveled the crap out of my quality build and have 220 hours. In mogwyn now. Have loved every second. And yes easy modes galore. Once you get mimic summons hehe. 2 other ones are really great as well. Infact my only complaint about elden ring is not enough epic and harder boss fights. There's some fun difficult enemies but usually parrying makes it easy. Some of the boss fights in DS games and bloodborne and especially sekiro were so much harder.

I think Elden Ring can be as challenging as the other Fromsoft games, but they give you a lot of optional tools to make things easier if you want. Ash summons are the main differentiator, though. Elden Ring loves throwing 2 bosses at you at the same time. The recent patches have made them far less aggressive, but they can still be tough when you're solo. Ash summons completely change that dynamic. That feels very intentional seeing how they toss new ash summons at you left and right. The Mimic Tear is easily the best of them for actually doing damage, but like 1/2 of them are fine for just distracting a boss so you can do damage and/or escape. If anyone wants the game to be tougher, don't use them. The game is plenty tough if you don't.

Roll a Mage instead Astrolger one hit spells from the start.

The various Souls games do take getting used to. Especially if you aren't used to that style of game. "Souls-like" titles have gotten more common, but there are a lot of players that haven't played one. Things can feel slow, unfair, and downright confusing. I started playing Dark Souls 1 after one of my friends swore I'd love it. I didn't. I must've restarted the game 4-5 different times before it finally clicked...and then I got sort of obsessed.

If you don't think you like the games, I'd recommend watching one of those "Things I wish I knew before I started playing" videos. They're generally spoiler free and can can give you some insights on how the game world works. Things like leveling, upgrading, weapons, spells, controls, etc. Literally anyone who has ever played through a Souls game immediately has a massive leg up when starting Elden Ring. Videos can at least provide some of that prior understanding. The games are NOT for everyone, but I think the steep ramp-up and esoteric nature of the gameplay can turn some folks off that might actually like the games. For what it's worth, the best advice I can give anyone is to pile points into vitality early and often. You have plenty of time to worry about boosting your damage-dealing stats later. None of that matters if you aren't staying alive.

I've done 3 playthroughs now and I think the easiest was a Str/Vit Colossal sword build. You constantly stagger enemies and with bosses you just need to bide your time to get a couple of hits in to stagger them. I've never beaten a Souls game and I had very little trouble. Even Malenia was pretty easy as the Great Sword with Giant Hunt knocks her up in the air and does massive damage.

Sorcery was incredible sometimes but difficult with aggressive and fast enemies. Bleed was much the same; you can chunk enemies but you have to be close and you're normally not staggering the enemies so they can attack through your offense which can make it tough.

I've been waiting and waiting for From Software to add ray-tracing so I can finally start this masterpiece...but I couldn't hold out any longer...installed it earlier tonight and will start my first playthrough...I thought 4 months would have been enough time for them to add RT but I'm tired of waiting...on the positive side there were 5 major patches and a few hotfixes released since the initial release so the game is definitely in better shape today than at launch...I was also able to make a nice dent in my backlog of games that I might never have gotten around to playing (Doom Eternal + DLC, Guardians of the Galaxy, Far Cry 6, Horizon Zero Dawn and Jedi: Fallen Order)

I'm hoping that RT is right around the corner...2 patches ago they focused on rebalancing, the last patch (1.05) was focused on bug fixes...so I'm guessing the next patch will focus on performance (and maybe ray-tracing will finally get added)

I've been messing around in the tutorial area getting back my timing and rhythm...graphics are a bit soft and muted but I'm hoping that'll change once I get out into the open world...some changes to the usual Souls mechanics will take some getting used to: 2-handing weapons is no longer a simple keyboard/mouse press and instead requires a 2 button combo to initiate, I wish the Sites of Grace stood out more- they have a tendency to blend into the environment...the bonfire would have worked better...I also wish they would allow me to re-map the Menu key

some mechanics I had to figure out on my own- the Pouches being one...I'm not sure it needed to be a separate section, they could have just added that to the normal 'Items' area (where the flasks etc are)...I do like the new Gestures section...and I love the character creation area

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
There are a few control quirks that took some time to get used to. Swapping to 2-handed requires multiple buttons on a pad, too. Luckily, you'll get used to it. Plus, unlike 75% of other games, pressing the left stick makes you sneak instead of run. In the middle of a battle, it really easy to start sneaking by accident. I full-on disabled sneak as a result. Simply walking slowly accomplishes nearly the same thing.

I think the grace sites are intentionally not always easy to see. I thought I was pretty thorough, but on my second playthrough I found at least 7-8 that I didn't see on my first pass. Some would've been helpful, too.

There are a few control quirks that took some time to get used to. Swapping to 2-handed requires multiple buttons on a pad, too. Luckily, you'll get used to it. Plus, unlike 75% of other games, pressing the left stick makes you sneak instead of run. In the middle of a battle, it really easy to start sneaking by accident. I full-on disabled sneak as a result. Simply walking slowly accomplishes nearly the same thing.

I think the grace sites are intentionally not always easy to see. I thought I was pretty thorough, but on my second playthrough I found at least 7-8 that I didn't see on my first pass. Some would've been helpful, too.

I also wish they would allow you to remap the map controls...you can't remap any of the map keys...I like having most of the important functions mapped around the arrow keys (which I use for movement)

There are a few control quirks that took some time to get used to. Swapping to 2-handed requires multiple buttons on a pad, too. Luckily, you'll get used to it. Plus, unlike 75% of other games, pressing the left stick makes you sneak instead of run. In the middle of a battle, it really easy to start sneaking by accident. I full-on disabled sneak as a result. Simply walking slowly accomplishes nearly the same thing

for your first playthrough did you mainly follow the path they set for you or did you explore a lot?...I find myself just wandering around running into some enemies that are way too difficult (dragon) but I'm also beating some bosses without even leveling up at all- Tree Sentinel took around 10 tries but I beat him and also one of the Catacomb bosses

for my 1st playthrough I'm not using any walkthroughs or guides (unless I get really stuck)...I always enjoy playing From Software games blind for my first run and then for subsequent playthroughs I look at Guides to see what I missed (with Elden Ring I have a feeling I'm going to miss a ton of stuff playing blind)...the world is so massive

I hit a definite road block on that last floating island area. My build is dual curved greatswords....and they are pretty terrible against all the dragons there.

I need to eventually go back and spend the time to level up weapons that will work better in that area. Pretty much breezed my way all the way there, then hit a wall.

for your first playthrough did you mainly follow the path they set for you or did you explore a lot?...I find myself just wandering around running into some enemies that are way too difficult (dragon) but I'm also beating some bosses without even leveling up at all- Tree Sentinel took around 10 tries but I beat him and also one of the Catacomb bosses

for my 1st playthrough I'm not using any walkthroughs or guides (unless I get really stuck)...I always enjoy playing From Software games blind for my first run and then for subsequent playthroughs I look at Guides to see what I missed (with Elden Ring I have a feeling I'm going to miss a ton of stuff playing blind)...the world is so massive

I played mostly blind except for a couple large-scale quests (Volcano Manor, Dung Eater, and the Haligtree) that you'll get to later. A friend warned me about those, so I looked up the details so I didn't screw anything up.

For the most part I did a lot of exploring. Especially in the early areas. The game points you toward Margit almost immediately and he's a sonofabitch if you fight him right away, Especially since most players don't know how ash summons work early on. I fought him once, got thumped, and decided to do as much as possible before going back. I ended up almost totally cleaning out the lower 1/4 of the map before going back. There's nothing in those early areas that you can't complete right away. I'd avoid Caelid (the reddish area to the east), but you can do everything else. You'll also get more familiar with the mechanics of the game and (hopefully) find some gear that suits you along the way. I fell in love with the Uchigatana and ended up using that for like 75% of the game.

I wasnt a fan of all the travel by horse just felt overwhelming. alot if the stuff I would of never figured out myself talisman and spell quests NPC interaction. If I played a Warrior just wouldn't have to travel as much. My former Walmart guy on Steam finished the game with dual Katanas. But he spent 200 hrs on the game I have about 60 hrs.

My entire NG+ run was with dual katanas. The thing about using dual weapons is that (at least IMO), they're not as bad ass as they look. It's not like you're able to go ham like in Ninja Gaiden. The difference maker was that jumping attacks hit twice and the game doesn't scale the damage. Jumping attacks are strong AF in Elden Ring and when you double it, that's incredibly powerful. Your normal two attacks are no different and the "power stance" thing is situational and dependent on the weapon. It's strong if your enemy just whiffed something and is wide open, but it's not like you can just let it rip most of the time. Shields are legitimately good in Elden Ring thanks to the new guard counter move. It's a legit tradeoff. In the other games I found not using a shield to be a more obvious approach. In Elden Ring, I'd call it even.

after 5 hours in I started a new game...now I'm comfortable with the new mechanics and where to go etc...even very early in the game I'm confident that this going to be an amazing gaming experience...only thing I hate are some of the controls when using kb/m...I wish I could remap the Map key...I'm using the arrow keys for movement and the game also doesn't allow you to move around the map with the arrow keys...it's hard-locked into WSAD...very annoying having to switch when using the map

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 3.png
    3.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 4.png
    4.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 5.png
    5.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
they screwed over invaders big time in Elden Ring...I loved invading players in the Souls games but it's pointless in this game...first off you can only invade in co-op mode by default (no single player invasions)...you need to opt-in to invasions using an item but even then it's almost always going to be 2 or 3 players versus the invader

they screwed over invaders big time in Elden Ring...I loved invading players in the Souls games but it's pointless in this game...first off you can only invade in co-op mode by default (no single player invasions)...you need to opt-in to invasions using an item but even then it's almost always going to be 2 or 3 players versus the invader

This is my first Souls game and I love invading. Then again I like the honourable "Hey!" *Bow* and fight.

Every more casual type of souls borne player I've talked to has always complained about being invaded. Inevitable I guess. I liked being invaded almost as much as invading and never had an issue with it. Even in dark souls 2 where invasions were concentrated in a couple of the worse areas ever to be invaded in... Still fun as hell imo

I literally never got invaded a single time in over 200 hours of playing. Whatever I did apparently wasn't the right thing. My only PvP experiences were trying to do Varre's quest, and all of those encounters involved like 4-5 people each. It was a total mess.

I literally never got invaded a single time in over 200 hours of playing. Whatever I did apparently wasn't the right thing. My only PvP experiences were trying to do Varre's quest, and all of those encounters involved like 4-5 people each. It was a total mess.

you need to use the Taunter's Tongue item to enable invasion when playing solo

Back