Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Elden Ring might be my new favorite Souls game, but it's so big that additional runs feel more tedious than fun.
You're also replaying a game that's only been out for 3 months, so I think a lot of the tediousness comes from that. I think it's best to give yourself some time to forget about it before revisiting.

You're also replaying a game that's only been out for 3 months, so I think a lot of the tediousness comes from that. I think it's best to give yourself some time to forget about it before revisiting.

It's possible, although I nearly always replay the various Souls games in NG+ immediately after completing one. I think some of it is "getting revenge" on tougher early foes since you're typically powered-up in NG+. You have more freedom to explore or screw around and not instantly die. With Elden Ring, those weren't really limitations or issues. I kinda wish there was a boss fight mode. That would've been more up my alley right now. I figure I probably won't touch the game again until either DLC hits or at least a year passes.

I decided to forgo NG+ and just restore my old pre-Azula save. I respec from a dual faith/int caster to a Shield + Bolt of Granax paladin and it is surprisingly easier (though I might be biased because I didn't struggle to get to this point since I respec from lvl 158). I am going around now picking up missed items and doing any missed quests that are still viable. Surprisingly as long as you aren't overwhelmed by numbers, this build is quite strong. Stamina doesn't seem a major issue with blocking when using indomitable ash of war on big moves + guard counter. I guess I'll find out more once I go to Azula, but for just going around and picking up the stuff I missed, blocking + armor is just a huge advantage. As I get use to it I am still making mistakes with timing but am like shocked sometimes thinking wow that mistake didn't kill me. lol

If you have the stats and gear, heavy armor + heavy weapons = pretty devastating throughout the first pass of the game and roughly the first half of NG+, too. Shields are really good in Elden Ring. I don't think they've been this effective since Demon's Souls. Especially with guard counters often causing a crumple stun. That's one of the main areas where big as fuck weapons seem to have an advantage over katanas and such. They excel at maximizing guard counters.

release the ray-tracing patch already!!...I'm surprised at my patience...I've been able to hold out and avoid spoilers

I went and started a new character and have been having a blast all over again. Went Sorcery with sword and board backup. Currently running around wearing Rogier's set and using the Meteoric Staff with the Carian Knight Shield and swapping between Moonveil and Meteoric Ore Blade and it plays much differently from the previous Strength Greatsword build I was playing. I basically enter a boss arena, summon Lhutel, and then stand in the back throwing big purple rocks and if the boss turns to me I switch to the katana and burn them down even faster.

Reactions: DPI
like this
https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-secretly-made-its-twin-boss-fights-easier/

I actually noticed some of this, but assumed it was a NG+ thing, especially the chariot no longer instakilling. In several of the boss fights with 2 enemies, one of them will just stand around if you're engaging the other foe at a distance. It doesn't always happen, but it happens in most of the dual-enemy boss battles. Oddly, it didn't seem to affect the one with the twin dog statues which is (IMO) still among the toughest.

The Crucible Knight duo was a lot easier my 2nd playthrough, that explains why.

The Crucible Knight duo was a lot easier my 2nd playthrough, that explains why.

That was my experience, too. Especially once they start getting weaker and you have them alternating flying charges and tail whips, too. On my second pass, the one with the spear mostly just hung out at the back of the room and only occasionally walked forward. They only got really involved as a pair when the fight brought them together. When I ran away from the pair, only one would seriously follow (usually the sword/shield one). It seems a little gimpy on the surface, but some of those double boss fights basically begged for ash summons. They're a lot more winnable solo now...even if it seems like one of the bosses is phoning things in.

https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-secretly-made-its-twin-boss-fights-easier/

I actually noticed some of this, but assumed it was a NG+ thing, especially the chariot no longer instakilling.
I did Auriza Hero's Grave during patch 1.03. I distinctly remember getting nicked by the chariot, but not dying. I had like ~50hps left. It was a surprise, to say the least.

I just loaded up the same save from my 1.03 playthrough into the 1.04 and the chariot did about 1/2 health on me. That was a huuuugeeee change and would have made that dungeon a little bit more tolerable.

I did Auriza Hero's Grave during patch 1.03. I distinctly remember getting nicked by the chariot, but not dying. I had like ~50hps left. It was a surprise, to say the least.

I just loaded up the same save from my 1.03 playthrough into the 1.04 and the chariot did about 1/2 health on me. That was a huuuugeeee change and would have made that dungeon a little bit more tolerable.

Yup, I'd survived the chariot before, but like you I was on death's door. I wasn't sure if it was intended or pure luck, plus I tend to have high VIT. In NG+ I could take 3 hits from one. There's one chariot dungeon where they're all over the place (and you can make them hit each other and die), and that's a LOT easier now.

That said, I still think that very first chariot dungeon is arguably the hardest one. Especially if you go all the way to the bottom and get all the secrets. Unless you wait until super late to attempt it, you'll still get instantly killed by the chariots just because your life is so low.

It wasn't until after going through the game I found out there's an item you can use to make taking out the chariots in Azuria Hero's grave trivial. I'd say most if not all players not looking up hints online faced the chariots in their raw intended brutal timing puzzle form. As it stands, I didn't mind them, but they did change the gears of the game a bit. Made it seem more like a Zelda puzzle game.

The only thing I truly found where FromSoft went easy on players was making running or rolling through lava take so little damage. Lava in Elden Ring offers practically zero anxiety. If it were Demon Ruins lava we'd have raged so much in some of those lava areas.

Even Scarlet Rot Lake gave me some flashbacks to Blighttown.

Yeah, lava in Elden Ring borders on pointless. I discovered that when trying to talk to the Jar guy in the far northwest. I'd been avoiding it like mad only to discover that it was far less dangerous than poison and rot.
The difficulty for the Lake of Rot is almost entirely build-specific. If you don't have a ton of HP, all the spells, items, and potions in the world can only help so much. Especially if you plan on fighting the optional boss in the middle of it. Certain weapons flat out can't hit that guy except at very specific angles. If definitely gave me Swamp of Sorrow vibes, although at least it's small. You can clear it out in a couple passes and there aren't that many threats in it.

I just beat Godrick pretty easy at level 38 but I got to the Academy the game is just depressing now.
I got to this Wolf with a sword he kicked my butt but I have no desire to continue my game.

Guess I must go on lol I just got the scroll before I quit wait a second I got a different scroll unless there is more than one.

There are multiple scrolls for learning difference sorceries. 4-5 I think. Ditto with prayerbooks for learning incantations. You can bring 'em to different people, but they'll teach you the same spells.

I just gave mine to the Turtle Pope npc some good spells that I dont' own I took a different route since I got sick of the Academy and the graveyard.

I just gave mine to the Turtle Pope npc some good spells that I dont' own I took a different route since I got sick of the Academy and the graveyard.

Without getting into spoiler territory, taking things to him is always a good idea. He's a one-stop shop for both books and scrolls and he isn't tied to any questlines. Unless you attack/kill him by accident, he'll always be there. The other characters you can take things to move around and they have associated quests, too.

lol I'm taking the shortcut with a ladder someone said in the comments the shortcut has Banshees that sing and Bats I made it to the Boss door.
I need to farm for better spell to farm this place I want that shower Sorcery spell that world work good but it's 10K Runes.

If you're looking for runes, the best approach is to look up White Mask Varre's questline. It's not that long or that complicated and it'll give you access to a place where you can rack up somewhere close to 30K runes per minute. Nothing else in the entire game has anything close to that.

20220605132659_1.jpg

This area End Game? lol just found a side Tomb to the right of this running past all trash mobs I'm Soul Level 40.
Some guy helped me get to this area by killing that Dragon Fire Boss the moves on his belly. I did all the work but he kept the thing off of me for a while he died a few times but I summoned him x4 times. My mage is squishy as hell but he's good against bosses anyway.

Last edited:
View attachment 480233

This area End Game? lol just found a side Tomb to the right of this running past all trash mobs I'm Soul Level 40.
Some guy helped me get to this area by killing that Dragon Fire Boss the moves on his belly. I did all the work but he kept the thing off of me for a while he died a few times but I summoned him x4 times. My mage is squishy as hell but he's good against bosses anyway.

That area is roughly the halfway point of the game, give or take depending on how much optional stuff you pursue. Most people complete the game anywhere from level 120-150, again, give or take depending on how much extra stuff you do.

If you had to compare this game to other games what games would you compare it to please ?

If you had to compare this game to other games what games would you compare it to please ?

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, and Bloodborne, with a dash of the open worlds from the Elder Scrolls series (mainly Oblivion and Skytrim) and Darksiders.

Ok I'm done lol was farming runes in this lake for about 3 hours so I could get 36 int for a Comet Sorcery spell. Then I went in the Sage cave a Necromacer on one side and a Assassin on the other both just kicks my butt cause it's a tight space and I can't see the Assassin.
couldn't summon anyone just a tight area I got him down to 1/2 health but he has adds. I think I need more vigor for my character.

Ok I'm done lol was farming runes in this lake for about 3 hours so I could get 36 int for a Comet Sorcery spell. Then I went in the Sage cave a Necromacer on one side and a Assassin on the other both just kicks my butt cause it's a tight space and I can't see the Assassin.
couldn't summon anyone just a tight area I got him down to 1/2 health but he has adds. I think I need more vigor for my character.
There's a torch that reveals the assassins. I think it's sold by a vendor.

The necromancer doesn't have much hp; should be able to burn him down.

20220606091343_1.jpg

Stuck on her if I play smart I think defeat her. Found the Short Carian sword better. When she gets back up she nukes plus 2nd stage boss and no summon signs around here.

You know how to summon ashes, right? You don't have to summon people - summon ashes, like the wolves.

20220606113201_1.jpg

Don't prick my finger

20220606122427_1.jpg

Shadows or silhouettes my VA monitor

20220606124145_1.jpg

Loretta had help with her 2nd stage looked pretty hard. Tried solo a few times got down to 1/2 but kept fumbling the controls.

Last edited:
Most (but definitely not all) fights against a solo boss are straightforward using summoning ashes. Just summon them immediately upon walking through the fog. Afterward, b-line it to the right or left. Your summons and the boss will charge at one another. You can then circle around the boss and wail on them from behind. Occasionally they'll chase you, but you can run off and they'll eventually turn their attention toward your ash summon again. You can keep that up until either the boss dies or your summon dies. If your summon dies, you can still keep going. Unless you're summoning level 1 jellyfish, even the lousy ashes will have hurt the boss a bit. You don't even need to summon other players unless you flat-out just want to watch and not fight. I have friends that don't really know the Souls games who have managed to win the game using boatloads of ash summons. I only used 'em with dual boss fights and with the 1.04 patch they're not what they once were.

why do you torture yourself Comix, you know you're not going to finish the game or even come close...even with trainers and cheat codes the game seems too difficult for you...you love posting screenshots and YouTube videos of other people playing the game

find a hobby you really enjoy and are good at...you play Far Cry 6 for a few days and stop, Elden Ring for a few days and stop, Borderlands 3 etc...you refund 95% of games

why do you torture yourself Comix, you know you're not going to finish the game or even come close...even with trainers and cheat codes the game seems too difficult for you...you love posting screenshots and YouTube videos of other people playing the game

find a hobby you really enjoy and are good at...you play Far Cry 6 for a few days and stop, Elden Ring for a few days and stop, Borderlands 3 etc...you refund 95% of games

you ok?

You haven't even played the game....

Comix is probably 30% of the way through the game based on his screenshots. Even using every single method for easing the difficulty that's still not an easy thing to do. It's a game people should experience any way they can.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Poor taste.

I for one commend Comix for getting as far as he has. I can’t seem to kill anything other than the zombie guys, the wondering guards in the first area, or just one of those damn goblin bastards in the cave at a time.

Not sure I’ll ever be able to actually play through it.
What are you building? I've never completed a Dark Souls game before and I pretty much cruised through my first playthrough with a 2h Greatsword Strength build. My second playthrough with a Sorcery build was even easier (most of the time). My third playthrough is with a Samurai/bleed build and it's been a PITA.

I'm pretty sure I've died a lot more in Hades and Hollow Knight than I have in my 3 Elden Ring playthroughs.

I'm going to stop leveling at 70 still summoning PVE with fingers. I was summoning people at the Knight Boss outside Leydell city gate. I would get 1 hitter on the 2nd stage 1st stage would take 2-3 hits on horse. I soloed him at 69 with Azure's Comet took like 4 nukes sometimes I would miss cause he moves around.

Really would like to see what this games looks like on a oled monitor. Game looks bad on lcds I even switched out to a 1440p Dell TN but still the game looks too dark in some areas. VA looks way too dark so always using a torch or illumination spell. The day night sequence is just badly desiged.

20220609114039_1.jpg

This guy is really hard if your not a Mage and underleveled I think I'll help people for the next few days here.
I can just Nuke him 4-5 times with the Azur Comet.

20220609122500_1.jpg

Royalty

Back