Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

The last patch definitely tinkered with the graphics on the back end. Whenever I get a Teams message while playing (I'm guilty of playing a little on breaks...), my graphics go absolutely haywire. Usually involving a black screen or an error about how it's trying to show a display setting that is "out of range" for my TV. I end up having to swap inputs or turn off the TV to get it to recognize the game is running at a normal resolution. That's only recently started happening in the last couple days.

One thing I've noticed in Elden Ring is that I almost never feel the need to "save scam" like in the DS titles. That's where you revert to a backup save to avoid losing your souls or to bypass a long sequence you don't want to replay again and again. In ER you're nearly always able to recover your souls (or spend them) and there are save spots all over the place, too.

One thing I've noticed in Elden Ring is that I almost never feel the need to "save scam" like in the DS titles. That's where you revert to a backup save to avoid losing your souls or to bypass a long sequence you don't want to replay again and again. In ER you're nearly always able to recover your souls (or spend them) and there are save spots all over the place, too.
In the Game Informer feature they talked about how the game originally had no Statues of Marika, and they added them in when it was apparently during play testing that Sites of Grace were too far apart. Could you imagine playing through this game with none of the statues?

Another point I remember, now that you bring it up, was how few bonfires there were that you could warp to after getting the Lordvessel in the original console release. The update that added more thankfully came out in time for the PC release, so PC players didn't need to deal with that.

Beyond that, it really does feel like less of a chore to backtrack after dying with the horse riding option and being able to avoid a lot of encounters. Not so much the case in dungeons, though. In dungeons I would say that it's worse than any Dark Souls due to the imbalanced difficulty.

Respeced last night cause I was lacking damage. I put more point into INT for my confessor so I can use dragon breaths and also now my strongest sword is the meteor ore sword. I have the moonveil but I need more INT. Anyone main moonveil? I like the gravitas special of the meteor ore sword but curious if moonveil will scale better later on.

Respeced last night cause I was lacking damage. I put more point into INT for my confessor so I can use dragon breaths and also now my strongest sword is the meteor ore sword. I have the moonveil but I need more INT. Anyone main moonveil? I like the gravitas special of the meteor ore sword but curious if moonveil will scale better later on.
I have both swords at +8 and the Moonveil does 10-20 points more damage (level 135, int @70).

In the Game Informer feature they talked about how the game originally had no Statues of Marika, and they added them in when it was apparently during play testing that Sites of Grace were too far apart. Could you imagine playing through this game with none of the statues?
It was just tedious getting from the grace to Rennala (not to mention the knight immediately before) and I felt like that could have used a statue/stake closer by.

I never had to resort to save scumming in any of the DS titles, and I've beaten all 3.

It was just tedious getting from the grace to Rennala (not to mention the knight immediately before) and I felt like that could have used a statue/stake closer by.

Agreed there, or at least not have sorcerers to mad dash past between the grace and shortcut gate.

I've won all of 'em without it, but it has saved me quite a bit of time when I have used it. Especially in areas like "horsefuck valley" in the DLC for DS2.
I got all the achievements on each console release, which you can't save scum in. Boy, was that a pain in the ass, especially with how damned frustrating the DLC for DS2 and DS3 are.

Picked up Elden Ring a few days ago and am at Level 7. Let's see what has happened:

- Beat the first named enemy after four tries. Learned his movements and became much familiar with the keyboard controls.
- Thought I was being sneaky in the first camp out of the dungeon. Character had more swords stuck in him than a pin cushion. Tried again, got one of the prizes and boogied out of there. Damn those fuckers chase you for a long ways. Still managed to evade them, somehow.
- Decided to take on a dragon. Nope, big mistake. Me be dead. Only tried once.
- Shiskebab'd by some big bastard on a testosterone horse.
- Killed by the last wolf in a pack and the bastard fuckin' tea bagged my character.

But, you know what? I love Elden Rings! Finally, a real challenge. Going to be playing most of the weekend. :D

Anyone find the Eye of Sauron yet?

View attachment 457518

After great effort I managed to make it to the top of the tower without dying of madness only to die anyway.

Yep! Had to shut it down. I liked seeing it, but I’d forget about it and die wandering around up there. Now I miss it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Respeced last night cause I was lacking damage. I put more point into INT for my confessor so I can use dragon breaths…
Do you mean Arcane? I don’t think any of the dragon communion incantations have any Int requirement.

Does this game kick you out if you don't attack during an invasion? I was just trying to make a friend and I got disconnected.

I think Malenia has been the hardest boss I've beat from FromSoftware, took me atleast 100 attempts without using any spirit summon or summon at level 125. Had to respec to beat her, I also had to max out my upgrades which I wasn't intending on doing in NG (I was +20 at the beginning, had to go to +25). Spent the evening Friday, then Saturday, finally beat her right before the end of the night. Might be harder than Sister Freide, but it could be dependant on your build, I tried with Twinblades for about 40-50 attempts then, switched to Dagger and parry shield, then eventually beat her with a Katana. Her moves are relatively easy to learn, shes just very challenging. I'm guessing that people who use a heavier shield will have less of a problem, but I only stick to light shields for more complexity.

I'm nowhere near the end, but I think the hardest Fromsoft bosses I've faced up to this point have been Sister Friede, Darkeater Midir, Lud & Zallen, Isshin, and the Nameless King. Most of those came in DS3, where I think the devs were just going ham with the difficulty since it was the last game in the series.

I just beat Radahn last night at around level 70. Probably took about 10 tries total since most of his attacks would one shot me (even with 1000hp and heavy armor) or dismount me and then kill me on the ground. Easily murdered everything in Nokron until I ran up on a Crucible Knight that made me drop 80k runes....

Do you mean Arcane? I don’t think any of the dragon communion incantations have any Int requirement.
Oh ya youre right. I killed a huge dragon on a hill that didn't even fight back. I wonder if it was bugged or he was just too fat to get up. I do love dragon breath attacks though especially the rot one which is a DOT.

I'm level 65'ish and have been progressing from the central and lower levels all the way to the very top of the map. Not sure how optimized that approach is, but I've mostly had success going this route. Those Bell Knight guys have been tough as hell and that one fight with the 2 Burial Watchdogs (which I stumbled upon in the red/eastern area) was absolutely awful at level 35'ish. Otherwise, I'm doing pretty well. There's an electric dragon who 1-shots me (and I do minimal damage to him) up here, but everything else has been reasonable.

Reactions: cvinh
like this
Do you guys think summons make the game too easy? I have a +7 mage that takes aggro in most boss fights which allows me to do dragon breaths/shouts. Maybe the bosses get more challenging later.

Do you guys think summons make the game too easy? I have a +7 mage that takes aggro in most boss fights which allows me to do dragon breaths/shouts. Maybe the bosses get more challenging later.

Once I finally figured out how they work (you can only summon in boss rooms or specific areas), I think they are a bit like an easy mode. Even if they aren't necessarily doing damage to bosses, they're distracting them and allowing you to get your own hits in. Personally, I haven't leveled any of my summons up and I refuse to use them on any single enemies. I've been happy to use them in a few fights that involved multiple bosses in the same room, though. I like using the skeletons because they resurrect themselves a couple times. They do zero damage, but they're a hell of a decoy.

Honestly, I think they're ok. I could see them being a little OP depending on your play style though. I find that I don't use mine all the time. I've definitely needed them on a few occasions, but in those instances I was glad to have them. Otherwise I'm fairly solo on this game, which I like.

I might test some summons out in a future playthrough, but definately want to get through the first playthrough without any on bosses. I tested out a few at the early levels, but felt they pulled too much aggro from the boss for me to actually learn the fights. I heard there are some really overpowered ones, I only tested out the Wolves, Mushroom and the Avionette Soldiers, did test the Mimic Tear, but that was way too overpowered for my liking, it would literally clear out ruins by itself.

The Greatshield Soldiers summon is great. If you use them on a single enemy they'll just surround them and block them in. Human sized enemies can't get out and just get bodied to death.

I am still leaning on them while getting used to controls. This just isn't my normal game type and I'm getting old. My brain knows what to do but can't relay that to my hands lol.

There's no way I would have been able to take out some of the bosses that have mobs without them.

It seems like the community is pretty good about just not using things they think are OP while being OK with them existing for peasants like myself.

I approve of summons and OP'd elements staying in the game. Battles are winnable without them and they give new players a way to enjoy the game without dedicating their entire lives to the game.
I just want to finish my first playthrough before they nerf bleed. I am definitely being carried, but I don't give a crap. It's definitely more approachable than their other titles, and I appreciate it.

Can somebody tell me how to dodge Renalla's haduken move? It seems like 75% of the time just sprinting sideways does the trick. But then the other 25% it hits and it's an instant kill. This quickly turned from one of my favorite boss fights in the game to one of the worst because it makes you do phase 1 over and over again. Which is sooooooo slow.

Can somebody tell me how to dodge Renalla's haduken move? It seems like 75% of the time just sprinting sideways does the trick. But then the other 25% it hits and it's an instant kill. This quickly turned from one of my favorite boss fights in the game to one of the worst because it makes you do phase 1 over and over again. Which is sooooooo slow.
If you're talking about the lazer beam, rolling right worked for me, but I think I did that fight naked.

If you're talking about the lazer beam, rolling right worked for me, but I think I did that fight naked.
Thanks, rolling worked. That was an awful experience. No grace close to the boss and you need to pull the lever and wait for the elevator each time.

Mild Renalla spoilers:

I will say that I really enjoyed my first attempt. This was the first "weird" boss that I came across. She's not just some brute slashing away at you like all of the others. So I enjoyed the change of pace. Had a really cool haunted atmosphere and the music and lullabies were really cool. That whole first phase reminded me of the weirdness that you would find in a game like Nier: Automata.

Too bad repeating it 20 times made me hate it.

Thanks, rolling worked. That was an awful experience. No grace close to the boss and you need to pull the lever and wait for the elevator each time.

Mild Renalla spoilers:

I will say that I really enjoyed my first attempt. This was the first "weird" boss that I came across. She's not just some brute slashing away at you like all of the others. So I enjoyed the change of pace. Had a really cool haunted atmosphere and the music and lullabies were really cool. That whole first phase reminded me of the weirdness that you would find in a game like Nier: Automata.

Too bad repeating it 20 times made me hate it.
I didn't even know she did anything in second phase. I ran at her and poise-broke her to death in like 2 combos with a STR build (can't remember if I was using the UGS or Godrick's axe.) Second phase probably took 20 seconds.

ChaseTheBro, the Michael Jordan of PVP invasions. 1v1, 1v2, 1v3 - this guy pretty much never loses but he's humble. Watch his timing, spacing, patience, changing weapons on the fly to counter every build. Just entertaining to watch even if you don't like PVP.

https://youtube.com/c/ChaseTheBro/videos

Last edited:
Not sure if it's because I'm not messing around with different items, but I have yet to be invaded. I've had red invaders show up, but they were clearly of the pre-canned variety.

Not sure if it's because I'm not messing around with different items, but I have yet to be invaded. I've had red invaders show up, but they were clearly of the pre-canned variety.
You only get invaded if you're playing co-op but I think there are items that can open you up to invasion.

Played quite a bit more.
Beat that damn horse Knight by the entrance of the game, that first Dragon, then... Godrick, Loretta, Makar and a few other bosses that didn't give achievements. I'm nearly level 50 now and finally getting equipment with neat secondary effects.

My main weapon is a Lordsworn Longsword +15 that I used a sacred Blade ash of war on. Thing hits like a truck when imbued with holy and it also kills those pesky fucking undead. I really have no idea where I'm supposed to go at this point, so I'm kinda just wondering around, trying to check out bits of the map that I haven't seen and trying to find more mines for those sweet sweet smithing stones.

I'm mostly a strength build with 30 str so I could use a weapon that I ended up not caring for. I also have 20 dex and I'm now working on faith so that I can cast a couple healing adjacent spells.
Gonna keep working on Faith cause I want to use that Makar swordscale volcano sword, holy shit.

I've come across quite a few enemies that I can't really beat yet
Including an Ancient Dragon, and quite a few Erdtree protectors. I think I'm getting close to being able to take one of them on.
. I'll get back to em in a few levels.

Back