Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

PSA for caves and catacombs and dark areas in general: buy a lantern and equip it on your pouch (the menu that appears when you hold down Y on the controller), and never have to fiddle with changing your left hand to the torch again.
Why hate on the torch? It's not as useless as you might think. Certain enemies are weak to fire, guard break easily when on fire, and are found often in tombs and caves. The torch pulls its weight early game. It doesn't add much weight and switching to it isn't that annoying. You can use it in either hand.

Late game, dual/two handed or being a magic user are valid arguments against using the torch. The lamp exists for those dedicated to those types.

From even gave us a torch spear in this game, which I find pretty cool.

I finally found an Uchigatana and that thing is like easy mode compared to the Twinblade and Lordsworn's Greatsword I had been using. It swings like a longsword, but hits like a greatsword. Reminds me of the Dark Sword in DS3 in that regard. Makes me wish I started off as a Samurai.

I finally found an Uchigatana and that thing is like easy mode compared to the Twinblade and Lordsworn's Greatsword I had been using. It swings like a longsword, but hits like a greatsword. Reminds me of the Dark Sword in DS3 in that regard. Makes me wish I started off as a Samurai.
I just fear that From is going to nerf bleed into the ground at some point like they did in Dark Souls 3.

Why hate on the torch? It's not as useless as you might think. Certain enemies are weak to fire, guard break easily when on fire, and are found often in tombs and caves. The torch pulls its weight early game. It doesn't add much weight and switching to it isn't that annoying. You can use it in either hand.

Late game, dual/two handed or being a magic user are valid arguments against using the torch. The lamp exists for those dedicated to those types.

From even gave us a torch spear in this game, which I find pretty cool.
Torch is cool, but if you find yourself in a dark dungeon surrounded by a mob and need the left hand free to shield block or parry, switching from torch to shield can mean its suddenly pitch black.

Last edited:
Been very busy at work the past week so haven't hardly been on the PC outside of work. (So not much ER this week) Hopefully i'll be playing more this weekend. :)
As an aside, i do like the health regen talisman i got pretty early on. It's fairly slow regen but has saved me a few times from poison or weak rot since the regen slows it down some. Plus if you have time it will regen you up to full eventually. lol

Picked this up!
I went with the PS5 version though. Need some reason to use my fancy Christmas present to myself.

Wow. I am terrible at Elden Ring.

Well, just caught up with the thread. Maybe not terrible? I just keep wandering into areas way stronger than m

I've already beaten Magrit, the castle behind them is kicking my ass though. I took out that cave beast man in the very beginning in a few tries - haven't attempted the tree sentinel again. I've explored what feels like a huge amount of the obviously even much larger world. Only other boss that I can recall beating was toot toot ferryman, but that was a piece of cake on horsebac

I don't really have a build in mind or even know what one would be, I just got a cool giant sword off of an enemy a couple hours in and I've been using that once I got enough dex to do s

At one point I ended up in some super fucking trippy "underground" section with a starry, nebula filled sky and getting hunted by minotaur ghosts and fucking mermen. That was terrifying.

Can't wait to get back to it.

I decided to head down to the peninsula area and found it to be a complete breeze. I cleared a pile of caves, mini-bosses, etc. and even managed to kill the final boss of the whole area on the first go. If anyone is struggling with Magrit (or any other boss/dungeon), I'd recommend heading south. The only knock on it is that I gained minimal runes down there, too.

It's really infuriating how enemy attacks clip through solid objects in this game yet your attacks don't. Look at this BS. I was right in his face about to take the final blow. Press R1. Nothing. Press R1 again. Nothing.

It's really infuriating how enemy attacks clip through solid objects in this game yet your attacks don't. Look at this BS. I was right in his face about to take the final blow. Press R1. Nothing. Press R1 again. Nothing.

Sometimes it works out in the end.....
If you came here for Git Good, you clicked the wrong post....

Yeah I died more times than I could count through walls, somewhat frustrating but you develop the muscle memory to learn to stay the fuck away from walls close to an enemy who's already spotted youi. Especially if the enemy has a SPEAR, say your prayers.

PSA: Elden Ring hackers are locking players in infinite death loops

Elden Ring Hackers are entering players' games, crashing them, and sending the players into recursive loops, doomed to fall to their deaths as soon as they log back in...

looks like they fixed this with the latest patch...

Elden Ring Patch Update 1.03.2

-Fixed a bug that sometime prevented players from advancing NPC Nepheli Loux’s questline
-Fixed a bug that causes the playable character to die when trying to descend from a spot near Bestial Sanctum
-Fixed a bug that prevented Ash of War, Endure from taking effect
-Fixed a bug in multiplayer that allowed players to teleport others to incorrect map coordinates

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-1032

Picked this up!
I went with the PS5 version though. Need some reason to use my fancy Christmas present to myself.

Wow. I am terrible at Elden Ring.

Well, just caught up with the thread. Maybe not terrible? I just keep wandering into areas way stronger than m

I've already beaten Magrit, the castle behind them is kicking my ass though. I took out that cave beast man in the very beginning in a few tries - haven't attempted the tree sentinel again. I've explored what feels like a huge amount of the obviously even much larger world. Only other boss that I can recall beating was toot toot ferryman, but that was a piece of cake on horsebac

I don't really have a build in mind or even know what one would be, I just got a cool giant sword off of an enemy a couple hours in and I've been using that once I got enough dex to do s

At one point I ended up in some super fucking trippy "underground" section with a starry, nebula filled sky and getting hunted by minotaur ghosts and fucking mermen. That was terrifying.

Can't wait to get back to it.

I decided to head down to the peninsula area and found it to be a complete breeze. I cleared a pile of caves, mini-bosses, etc. and even managed to kill the final boss of the whole area on the first go. If anyone is struggling with Magrit (or any other boss/dungeon), I'd recommend heading south. The only knock on it is that I gained minimal runes down there, too.
Now that I've had time to think about it I believe Stormveil Castle is another teaching moment they put into the game. If you're able to beat Margit and you decide to keep moving forward you'll soon find the regular enemies are much tougher than they had been on the trek up to the castle walls. It's encouraging you to explore further to either find another route or another direction to go. Since the only guidance in the game is the light ray emanating from sites of grace I believe they're trying to tell you to not rigidly follow it. As much can be seen in the suggested map progression that has been put together by the community. I don't think people realize how enormous the map actually is when they first start playing.

Now that I've had time to think about it I believe Stormveil Castle is another teaching moment they put into the game. If you're able to beat Margit and you decide to keep moving forward you'll soon find the regular enemies are much tougher than they had been on the trek up to the castle walls. It's encouraging you to explore further to either find another route or another direction to go. Since the only guidance in the game is the light ray emanating from sites of grace I believe they're trying to tell you to not rigidly follow it. As much can be seen in the suggested map progression that has been put together by the community. I don't think people realize how enormous the map actually is when they first start playing.

I still have no real idea of the size/scope of the game (at least beyond how much of the map I've seen), and I think that's exciting. It's the rare game where I honestly don't know what might be around the next corner. It might be a bunch of 1-hit goblins or it might be some kind of mega-boss. While there's variety in the TES and Fallout games, it's nothing compared to this. I feel fortunate that I'm at least familiar with the gameplay style from the prior games. There have been at least a few enemies I've been able to beat just because I've fought similar foes in the other Fromsoft titles. The timeless approach of circling and looking for patterns and weak points is still effective.

It's a pretty huge game. It's a lot bigger than you'd think, sort of similar to how Sekiro amazed me with it's scale. Of course, this is way bigger.

I didn't think about how big the game was until I accidentally stumbled into the underground.
I thought it was just gonna be some sort of short Dungeony thing. Then it just kept going, and going, and going, then I hit an elevator and ended up on a different level of the underground. Then that kept going, and going, and going and I finally found a way out, which took me back to the surface... However it was a point on the surface so far away from anything else I've ever seen that my map size like tripled. Then I saw that the underground has its entire own map the same size as the surface and DAMN.
Yeah, seems pretty big.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/tlpp9w/input_reading_be_like/

I never noticed this cheap cheese in previous Soulsborne games - or at least never to this extent. Granted I didn’t play Sekiro and if comments are to be believed that game also included input reading and bosses doing anim-canceling bullshit shenanigans. Is the enemy input reading really as obvious (and ridiculous) as that Reddit clip makes it out to be?

https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/tlpp9w/input_reading_be_like/

I never noticed this cheap cheese in previous Soulsborne games - or at least never to this extent. Granted I didn’t play Sekiro and if comments are to be believed that game also included input reading and bosses doing anim-canceling bullshit shenanigans. Is the enemy input reading really as obvious (and ridiculous) as that Reddit clip makes it out to be?
It's never been this bad in any Souls game I have played. Some bosses and enemies would read your input, but there was some kind of delay and RNG in their reaction. This is just bad with every enemy on screen reacting exactly the same. I can't say I've noticed anything similar in my playthrough so far, but this would explain a lot. Maybe since I have gotten so used to fighting unlocked over the years.

I'm having to train myself to stop pressing the left stick in when I'm playing. That the "run" command in 99% of other games, so it's no big deal if you press it accidentally. In this game it's for sneaking and it WILL get you killed if you press it accidentally. I wish sneak was some other button, but all the others are being used normally.

Those Trapped Chests that transport you away are terrifying and evil and kinda exciting.

Anyway, I walked away from Stormveil castle and went down to that peninsula that was supposed to be more my level and absolutely fucking murdered everyone and everything down there until I hit the previously mentioned chest and then next thing I know
I'm in the capital city with an absolutely massive, massive stone dragon and some huge ass robot giant kicked my ass just by looking at me funny so I went back to the roundtable and i'll figure out where i go next.

I'm digging this game a lot.

Those Trapped Chests that transport you away are terrifying and evil and kinda exciting.

Anyway, I walked away from Stormveil castle and went down to that peninsula that was supposed to be more my level and absolutely fucking murdered everyone and everything down there until I hit the previously mentioned chest and then next thing I know
I'm in the capital city with an absolutely massive, massive stone dragon and some huge ass robot giant kicked my ass just by looking at me funny so I went back to the roundtable and i'll figure out where i go next.

I'm digging this game a lot.
I’ve developed a habit from these games to roll away from a chest as soon as I open it, though Elden Ring seems to have less trapped chests than I was expecting, given its size.

Just beat Elden Beast today, 2nd try on him vs 4th on Radagon… my heart was pounding, seriously was not wanting to wipe again cos I don’t like watching those cutscenes every time. I think I had some RNG luck, though, his annoying tracking attack never targeted me, just my mimic. Might try Placidusax once more before new game+, I think I got his timing down.

It's never been this bad in any Souls game I have played. Some bosses and enemies would read your input, but there was some kind of delay and RNG in their reaction. This is just bad with every enemy on screen reacting exactly the same. I can't say I've noticed anything similar in my playthrough so far, but this would explain a lot. Maybe since I have gotten so used to fighting unlocked over the years.
I swear Recusant Bernahl input reads and it was pretty annoying, to have to tailor my fighting him around that.

I finally hit my boss stride. I was avoiding the big ones for the longest time. Once I beat a few though the other night, I kinda got addicted, and hunted down a bunch more :D

Switched up my dual daggers for a dagger and a nice sword. Mix of blood and gravity effects. Still rocking mage robes though to keep the weight down.

After taking care of everything in the main starting area and the lower peninsula (along with random quests to the east + underground as well), I'm braving Stormveil Castle and thing I've finally found all of the random items scattered everywhere. It's like an entire area unto itself with all of the railings, jumps, hidden paths, etc. While it hasn't been easy, I do feel like I'm pretty powerful for this area. I've only been killed outright twice and both times were me just being careless with lesser enemies. All I have left is to go through the cloud door (Godrick?), so I guess I'll see how tough I actually am pretty soon.

This game has truly lived up to what I hoped it would be: an open world Dark Souls 4. It's not perfect, but the others aren't either. After 20'ish hours I'm willing to say it's at least the 2nd best game in the series already, though.

Still trucking along with my STR focused build. Thought for sure I would've respec'd into something else by now, but I'm enjoying my fur loincloth'd clad barbarian avatar. I recently got the Mimic Ashes and that made boss fights a lot easier. I'm thinking my Marionettes and Jellyfish will be retired.

After taking care of everything in the main starting area and the lower peninsula (along with random quests to the east + underground as well), I'm braving Stormveil Castle and thing I've finally found all of the random items scattered everywhere. It's like an entire area unto itself with all of the railings, jumps, hidden paths, etc. While it hasn't been easy, I do feel like I'm pretty powerful for this area. I've only been killed outright twice and both times were me just being careless with lesser enemies. All I have left is to go through the cloud door (Godrick?), so I guess I'll see how tough I actually am pretty soon.

This game has truly lived up to what I hoped it would be: an open world Dark Souls 4. It's not perfect, but the others aren't either. After 20'ish hours I'm willing to say it's at least the 2nd best game in the series already, though.

I actually thought Godrick was easier than a couple of the specialized knights in Stormveil. A longer fight, but he wasn’t quite as ruthless. A few of those knights peppered about the game are pretty insane. Forgot what they’re called, but they’re a specific type.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually thought Godrick was easier than a couple of the specialized knights in Stormveil. A longer fight, but he wasn’t quite as ruthless. A few of those knights peppered about are pretty insane.

Good to know, and I agree. The guys with swords and shields are rough. There was one down a hidden path that had a sword/shield, a scorpion's tail, and he could even fly. That guy's been the toughest non-boss I've faced and he was tougher than most bosses, too.

Good to know, and I agree. The guys with swords and shields are rough. There was one down a hidden path that had a sword/shield, a scorpion's tail, and he could even fly. That guy's been the toughest non-boss I've faced and he was tougher than most bosses, too.

That’s the main one. :D

You’ll run into those guys once in a while.

How are these youtubers beating it 5 times? Game is not even a month old. Are they just beelining the golden path or what?

Disposable time :D I wish I had some of that…

I’ve only killed a handful of dragons, handful of bosses, and maybe five story-bosses? I’ve been to maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the map, level 60, but have barely scratched the surface in the actual game :D

If I had a source of income that didn't necessitate working 8'ish hours a day, I'm still not sure I would have beaten it more than a couple times...if that. Seems like I'd get burned out and never want to touch it again.

Unrelated, Godrick was a freakin' breeze. He was every bit as easy as that beast guy down in the lower peninsula. He hits pretty hard, but he's also a standard wide-swinging boss you can crowd and circle rather easily. I probably won't get another chance to play for a bit, so that feels like a good stopping point.

Hmm the latest patch seems to have messed something up for me (playing on Steam). Launch game, screen goes to all white with the ER mouse pointer (like it’s going to show the Bandai Namco splash screen…but it doesn’t), it sits there for a minute, then kicked back to desktop. Tried verifying local files but didn’t fix it.

Hmm the latest patch seems to have messed something up for me (playing on Steam). Launch game, screen goes to all white with the ER mouse pointer (like it’s going to show the Bandai Namco splash screen…but it doesn’t), it sits there for a minute, then kicked back to desktop. Tried verifying local files but didn’t fix it.
make sure the game didn't somehow get changed to use igp instead of your 3080, i've seen that mentioned w/ the "white screen" issue a few times

The first time I started ER after the latest patch (and most recent Nvidia drivers) it actually started in an aspect correct Ultrawide resolution (could see the sides, no bars, not stretched). Allowed me to spin the camera and move around for a few seconds before just blacking out the sides...

Edit: The fact that it appears to be rendering the full 21:9 resolution and then just covering it up with black bars has me wondering if running in standard 16:9 will give more performance. Might be worth an experiment.

Last edited:
Back