Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

As long as it's an option at least once, that should be plenty. Occasionally I'll run into a zany weapon that has arcane stat requirements, so I like being able to re-spec rather than grinding levels. I generally pile everything into strength, health, endurance, and constitution with almost nothing in the various spellcasting stats.

I'm just keeping Vig, Str, and End all equal. They're all like 24 or something.

I'm at the bell tower thing in a cave. I fought some ice dude for about 30m and I finally got them. we died at the same time which was funny. Got a thing which increases my damage as well as damage taken.

I'm freaking hooked on this shit now. Since I now have some gear and can hold my own this has gotten a lot more fun.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Invaded my first world yesterday, and it was pretty funny. The host I was to kill, had really nice looking armor and dual wielded wicked looking swords. Figured I was done for (I only invaded to complete a questline), and was positive I was going to die when the host performed a dizzying amount of combos, dodge rolls, gestures, and fancy footwork while I slowly backed away from. Then his first connecting strike hit my shield, I countered with a guard attack, and quickly finished him with two quick slashes.

I’m kinda mad that the first cool looking katana that I found scales with STR/INT as the primary stat. I need to find an art of war that changes it to DEX.

Also since we are talking about items the only good upgrades I have found are shields. I’m still using my starter katana at +10 and half my armour is still starter armour due to weight. The other half is from Stormveil guards I think.

As long as it's an option at least once, that should be plenty. Occasionally I'll run into a zany weapon that has arcane stat requirements, so I like being able to re-spec rather than grinding levels. I generally pile everything into strength, health, endurance, and constitution with almost nothing in the various spellcasting stats.

My primary current weapon needed me to add a couple of points to arcane, but not too bad. It was worth it.

I’m kinda mad that the first cool looking katana that I found scales with STR/INT as the primary stat. I need to find an art of war that changes it to DEX.

Also since we are talking about items the only good upgrades I have found are shields. I’m still using my starter katana at +10 and half my armour is still starter armour due to weight. The other half is from Stormveil guards I think.
unless you still haven't explored much beyond the starting areas around Limgrave, you just aren't looking hard enough... i have quite a few different weapons and armor already. the game is very good at rewarding you for being observant and checking every nook and cranny. pay close attention to areas dense with trees for example as there will sometimes be entrances to caves/dungeons hidden nearby. the bosses in the optional dungeons usually reward cool gear or at least very useful items. and sometimes they're just found in the open world, hidden away in obscure graves and stuff like that.

also it's worth 'farming' each enemy type, especially humanoid ones, at least a little as they often drop weapons and armor, just at very low rates. there's a craftable item (called something like golden fowl's foot) that raises item discovery which increases the odds that enemies drop those items

It’s item based and unlocked after one of the bosses. I’m not sure how many of the items you can find in total but I’ve found 2 without trying and am about 35 hours in.
I had a dozen or so larval tears by end of the game. Plenty of opportunity to respec.

For a good earlier game armor set for heavy types (just thought I'd share what I was using relatively early on) the Cathedral of Dragon Communion in Caelid has a patrolling Banished Knight. You can kill him and then reset at the Grace point over and over to farm him for a whole set of Banished Knight's armor and it is very good for early-mid game. Probably 2nd best only to the Tree Sentinel armor that comes from the Draconic Tree Sentinel outside of Leyndell.

unless you still haven't explored much beyond the starting areas around Limgrave, you just aren't looking hard enough... i have quite a few different weapons and armor already. the game is very good at rewarding you for being observant and checking every nook and cranny. pay close attention to areas dense with trees for example as there will sometimes be entrances to caves/dungeons hidden nearby. the bosses in the optional dungeons usually reward cool gear or at least very useful items. and sometimes they're just found in the open world, hidden away in obscure graves and stuff like that.

also it's worth 'farming' each enemy type, especially humanoid ones, at least a little as they often drop weapons and armor, just at very low rates. there's a craftable item (called something like golden fowl's foot) that raises item discovery which increases the odds that enemies drop those items

Heh, I just now discovered the earlier areas like the peninsula. :D The first places I wandered to exploring were Leurnia and Caelid :D Got destroyed a LOT, but wound up with some good rune counts, some interesting items, and when I started going through some of the earlier areas, I pretty much waltzed through them. Eventually, I need to go back and hit the big bosses and progress some of the story stuff. :D

I can't say I've come across many pieces of armor that beats out my Vagabond starter chest (the arms and legs have long been replaced). I'll occasionally put on a lighter chest depending on the scenario, but normally just stick with that Vagabond. Thinking I'm going to go on a hunt for that Banished Knight gear mentioned by delita.

I can't say I've come across many pieces of armor that beats out my Vagabond starter chest (the arms and legs have long been replaced). I'll occasionally put on a lighter chest depending on the scenario, but normally just stick with that Vagabond. Thinking I'm going to go on a hunt for that Banished Knight gear mentioned by delita.
It's worth while. I used the helmet for 3/4 of the game.

Another cool set in Caelid is the set from the Cleanrot knights. Specifically there's one that has a unique scythe and there aren't many of those in the game.

I’ve found a lot, but it’s not dex based or is too heavy to use a full set. Most of it is useless for my build. The samurai class starts with a decent Katana and decent light armour.

So while I have found gear, upgrades as I have stated are few and far between.

I’ve found a lot, but it’s not dex based or is too heavy to use a full set. Most of it is useless for my build. The samurai class starts with a decent Katana and decent light armour.

Coincidentally, the Uchigatana is one of the most OP weapons in the game. Funny to start as a Samurai and potentially use that weapon throughout the entire game.

The balancing in the game reminds me of previous Souls games, where usually you won't find "better" gear, but gear that is better balanced for your build/class, and then you upgrade that. I can appreciate this as it lets the player determine which weapons they like and pursue the playstyle they like the most - as opposed to there simply being a certain god weapon that every player has to get. Similarly you're not constantly shuffling gear either. I'll forget to level up my equipment or character for stretches of time simply because I'm so focused on just having fun with the game.

IMO this game series is an evolution of Castlevania, particularly Symphony of the Night. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

The balancing in the game reminds me of previous Souls games, where usually you won't find "better" gear, but gear that is better balanced for your build/class, and then you upgrade that. I can appreciate this as it lets the player determine which weapons they like and pursue the playstyle they like the most - as opposed to there simply being a certain god weapon that every player has to get. Similarly you're not constantly shuffling gear either. I'll forget to level up my equipment or character for stretches of time simply because I'm so focused on just having fun with the game.

IMO this game series is an evolution of Castlevania, particularly Symphony of the Night. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
One of the biggest things I wish this game had was an appearance armor tab. Once you get to end game you realize that in most cases there are about 2-3 armor sets worth considering and everything else is pure fashion. Just wish I could wear the best armor but show my preferred fashion.

i was literally thinking about this very comparison just last night. the From games really are a modern reimagining of Castlevania. light on plot, a medieval fantasy theme that usually doesn't make a whole lot of sense but looks awesome, fun combat, exploration that rewards you with cooler/better gear, unlocking areas and coming back to them later, the ability to farm and level up if certain bosses are too difficult... it's all there.

I'm home sick today so I've logged a few hours. I'm on the basement level of Divine Tower of Caelid. T here's a dude here that I'm going to have to come back for.

Just because I want my whack at the horse :p

KB/M is absolutely the best for FPS, some third person, RTS, isometric non-twin-stick control games (think Diablo), point and click adventuring, some simulation etc.

Arcade sticks for fighters and old arcade style games.

Pads for everything else, sometimes overlapping a little into any given genre.

Flight setups, wheels, or pads for sims.

Elden Ring, I could see using pad or M/KB actually per taste. If I was at my desk, I’d lean M/KB. But, I hauled my PC to the living room cabinet, connected a Dual Sense, and couldn’t be happier. M/KB isn’t great on the couch.
I preferred Diablo 1 on PSone with the controller >_>

Always wished there was a console version of Diablo II back in those days.

I'm home sick today so I've logged a few hours. I'm on the basement level of Divine Tower of Caelid. T here's a dude here that I'm going to have to come back for.
Those monk guys with the sword at the bottom are fucking tough for normal enemies. The boss there is pretty tough too at a lower level.

Those monk guys with the sword at the bottom are fucking tough for normal enemies. The boss there is pretty tough too at a lower level.
My strategy so far was knocking them off the edge, haha. well, the previous guards. not the monk things.

But yea, I saw the mist door there but I can't get by the guy there guarding it.

I've done a bit today. This is freaking awesome.

that's my only *real* beef with these games.. they really have no story at all. i know they do some 'worldbuilding' lore, some of which is probably pretty detailed, but what the player experiences in the end result is basically just "player character traverses a medieval fantasy themed world with medieval fantasy themed monsters," and fights the big bad at the end. that's it. even if you go and watch some lengthy 'video essays' like what VaatiVidya produces, you're still left with a bunch of vague ideas about key players and events. and even then, half of those videos are pure conjecture because From (intentionally) doesn't really fill in the blanks.

it's fine and all, and its pretty obvious that a lot of people out there don't need a fleshed out story, interesting characters etc if the gameplay is fun and the visual design is creative. but damn would i love to see From take the formula and integrate with storytelling like witcher 3 or mass effect or name-your-favorite-rpg-with-strong-storytelling here.
Most of the story is in the item descriptions. And if you read all of them-----most of it isn't actually as "vague" as you might think. Lots of dots to connect in there.

After finally getting through Forbidden West, I'm ready to get crackin' on Elden Ring at long last.

Anything (broad, non-spoilerish) I should know before getting started? Is performance passable or are there any homebrew suggestions if not?
set your shader cache to unlimited in the Nvidia control panel.

Playing offline can avoid some stutter, as the game often stutters or very quickly pauses, every time the ghost of another player loads into your game. viewing bloodstains can also cause a stutter or pause, as the player ghost loads.

Most of the story is in the item descriptions. And if you read all of them-----most of it isn't actually as "vague" as you might think. Lots of dots to connect in there.
disagree, that's not story, that's lore/world-building. it's something, and i'm cool with it being a background "optional" thing, but that's as far as it goes. and yes, it still is as vague as i said. specific events or characters are sometimes mentioned, but even then it's more like coming across a random factoid in a wikipedia article than it is a story.

Playing offline can avoid some stutter, as the game often stutters or very quickly pauses, every time the ghost of another player loads into your game. viewing bloodstains can also cause a stutter or pause, as the player ghost loads.
This can probably be mitigated by having open NAT. I don't have any issues with online features.

The lack of story of having to follow anything is what is keeping me here. I hate quest lines. I hate gathering items for turn in. I hate answering questions. I just want to log in and kill stuff. Explore. Get items. Fight mobs. That's why the Fallout series and Skyrim series never panned out for me. I didn't want to having to keep doing interviews.

The lack of story of having to follow anything is what is keeping me here. I hate quest lines. I hate gathering items for turn in. I hate answering questions. I just want to log in and kill stuff. Explore. Get items. Fight mobs. That's why the Fallout series and Skyrim series never panned out for me. I didn't want to having to keep doing interviews.
as i said in my own posts, i understand that there's a place for games like this and those who have ADHD when it comes to story. all i was saying is *i personally* would love to see the From formula combined with a rich interactive story.

I appreciate that. After Horizon (where every single person repeats themselves endlessly), I'm interested in something where I can just wander and find loot + enemies.

I appreciate that. After Horizon (where every single person repeats themselves endlessly), I'm interested in something where I can just wander and find loot + enemies.
well tbf there's a difference between being spammed endlessly with inane dialogue and good, engaging characters and writing, lol. but yeah i know what you're saying.

I hear you on that. Give me gameplay. Satisfying combat will get me through 100 hours as long as it keeps progressing and it's fresh. Story (no matter how good) will never be enough for me to complete a 80-100 hour game. I'd much rather just relax and watch a good show on Netflix if I want meaningful dialogue, as even the BEST games don't really compare to the writing of TV/film plots.

I am the exact opposite. It takes a long time for me to start this game because of the lack of story/plot advancement. I put more time in if I want to know what happens next rather than just trying to find notes scattered all over the world and try to put together an story that will be full of holes if you didn't find all the other lore items. Even now I beat some boss last night and was like that's awesome, but then I got to some neutral hub thinking oh some kind of plot might happen, and was bitterly disappointed with the whole thing after talking to everyone there. If it wasn't for finding some video of some OP spells in the game someone posted I probably wouldn't have played last night, and now I am thinking I am pretty far away from being able to get any of those spells so my motivation is low to go back in.

This is why I wear mage robes! :D

kfkfkfkf.png

Thinking I should probably throw a few points into Dex...

I've got the Bloodhound's Fanh, but its 17 Dex. I have 10.

View attachment 454131

Thinking I should probably throw a few points into Dex...

I've got the Bloodhound's Fanh, but its 17 Dex. I have 10.
Definitely a worthy weapon so much fun. My vagabond is 40 STR and 30dex only other things I moved are vigor and endurance at 20. Plus the blood loss ! Use born darts also ! Practically free and they scale like crazy with str/dex

Hit 90 Hours on this Prophet character.
Destroy The Divine Bridge Golem With 10 Sorcery Spells in Seconds,surprise Carian Slicer is a beast

Prophet & Socery Gear Used 0:01
Max PC 4K HDR Settings 0:22
Map Divine Bridge Golem 0:55
Magic Glintblade 1:22
Swift Glintstone Shard 2:14
Star Shower 3:05
Rock Sling 3:45
Glintstone Arc 4:42
Comet 5:22
Carian Greatsword 5:55
Carian Slicer 6:40
Gavel Of Haima 7:10