Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Finished Ranni's questline today. Astel, Naturalborn of the Void took about 10-12+ tries, but finally took it down. :banghead:
1647221181585.jpeg

I'm over here in Caelid which sucks because my Tropophobia meter is pegged.

But this is better. I just hate getting stuck somewhere .

I also fought some chick in a boat. Did that deathless and now I have skeletons. neat.

So these equipment loads. Does it stop at light, med, and heavy? Like, if I'm at 36 but equip a different weapon to 38, but still under med load will I be ok?

Gratz!
As for heaviness, i'n not sure, but think it mainly affects things like dodging, rolling, etc.
As for Margit, for me Godrick the Grafted was really easy compared to him for some reason.

HOLY SHIT

holy shit. I can't believe I did that. That was insane.
Gratz, now you're getting the gist of the Souls games.

PS - the red box with the down arrow under your health bar means you've got a debuff causing you to have lower health than normal. Did you let some 'strange lady' hug you?
If you did, she
gives you an item which temporarily increases your poise (harder to stagger) but takes 5% of your life in return - don't worry you can use the item she gave you at anytime (might need to rest at any lost grace) to get back the reserved life

Gratz, now you're getting the gist of the Souls games.

PS - the red box with the down arrow under your health bar means you've got a debuff causing you to have lower health than normal. Did you let some 'strange lady' hug you?
If you did, she
gives you an item which temporarily increases your poise (harder to stagger) but takes 5% of your life in return - don't worry you can use the item she gave you at anytime (might need to rest at any lost grace) to get back the reserved life
Thanks for this. I’ve had the red box for a while now…

Exploded both Margit and Goddrick this evening. Margit was a spaz and Goddrick was a pushover.

No clue what to do now besides pick a direction and run. Fun times.

Most memorable moment there for me was... Dayum... that's a sweet ass bird... oh, it's aggressive. Wait what's on its feet? OH DEAR JEEBUS, what is happening!!! Ahhhhh, it hurts, FIIIIIRE OMG there are more!!! Mommy!!!

You died.

Last edited:
I'm level 250+ and I still get my ass handed to me if I don't pay attention, that's not just bosses but regular mobs. It's not terribly hard at this point but from all the time I've spent in this game I've learned that you really have to figure it out and not just mash buttons. Be patient and see what the mob does, watch the timing and figure out the signs for their moves. I find myself wanting to rush in and mash buttons but that's stupid most times. It's fucking annoying to die a bunch but it's rewarding when you do win. Being over leveled gives me room for error but it's still not easy mode if I don't actually try. DS vets have an easier time becuse they know you can't just attack and hope to win, you have to learn and get better.

Last edited:
So far Radahn and Astel have given me the most trouble (still yet to take down Astel, might try again soon). Got the itch to complete the Hyetta quest line, guess I’m all in for the “bad” ending.

Mimic tear ashes at +8 plus Sword of Night and Fire +9 (need to find that special somber dragon stone) have made other bosses trivial thus far. Morgott was a single attempt with that combo, on my way through the snowy mountain area (forgot name already). Melina hates me now, since I’ve received the blessing of those fingers, but at least she let me keep torrent.

I tried the demo of Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise last night and I think I'm going to pick it up this week since I'm done with Elden Ring until I'm ready for NG+. They definitely drew inspiration from the Souls series all the way down to having a horrible nonsensical plot. But the gameplay itself is quite fun and it incorporates the FF job system. Team Ninja (Nioh) made it - so you can definitely feel similar vibes. Thought I'd share to anyone who might have interest in something similar-ish after their time with Elden Ring. Of course FF SoP is more akin to DS vs Elden Ring as it's not open world.

So I went out by Caelid for a bit looking for those mobs that drop 1000R. There are these dragons all over. I'm guessing those are going to suck? Can't really run too far since they block the route.

So I went out by Caelid for a bit looking for those mobs that drop 1000R. There are these dragons all over. I'm guessing those are going to suck? Can't really run too far since they block the route.
If you take the path I told you from the waypoint in Third Church of Marika it puts you at the northern tip of Caelid and you bypass all the dragons. If you want to run through, you can. Just stay on the horse and don't look back.

There is also a cheese area in Caelid where there's a giant dragon that does not move (surrounded by other dragons that will attack you if you get too close). But you can attack it and it does damage (attack at it's tail). It takes a long ass time to kill it but if you use a bleed weapon it will take 13K chunks of health when the bleed procs. If you happen to throw on a pickled foot (exp boost item) right before you kill it, you'll get something like 100K runes or so from an enemy that can't fight back.

With the Keyboard you roll with the Spacebar it's just awkward where you can just press a button on the controller instead.
Plus you can lean back in your chair and take in more. Just goto Walmart and buy a X-BoX controller I would say PS5 controller but
I'm not a fan of the circle square and triangle prompts just universal for different countries.

are you able to remap every action using the keyboard or are some hardlocked?...I've played all the Souls games using kb/m

With the Keyboard you roll with the Spacebar it's just awkward where you can just press a button on the controller instead.
Plus you can lean back in your chair and take in more. Just goto Walmart and buy a X-BoX controller I would say PS5 controller but
I'm not a fan of the circle square and triangle prompts just universal for different countries.
Kudos to anyone who is actually good at playing this game on kb+m. I would rather shoot myself in the foot than play that way.

I switched to Twinblades+Dagger from Archery about a week ago, the hardest bosses for Twinblades so far has been Valiant Gargoyal, completed at RL70 after about 30 attempts, haven't beating Mogh yet, but I feel I don't do much damage to him at all, but only did about 5 attempts and feel it can take me near 30+ attempts. He nearly 1 shots me with 40 Vigor. Currently about SL75 with 140 hours played (I spend a significant amount of time looking for secrets).

I switched to Twinblades+Dagger from Archery about a week ago, the hardest bosses for Twinblades so far has been Valiant Gargoyal, completed at RL70 after about 30 attempts, haven't beating Mogh yet, but I feel I don't do much damage to him at all, but only did about 5 attempts and feel it can take me near 30+ attempts. He nearly 1 shots me with 40 Vigor. Currently about SL75 with 140 hours played (I spend a significant amount of time looking for secrets).
Daggers are one weapon I want to give a shot later. I took the Horn bow to +25 and farmed for a metric poopoo ton of magic and poison arrows and being able to bow crit for 1k actually feels very satisfying. Greatbows are too slow and are really just for pulling but shortbows and longbows are pretty nice.

If you take the path I told you from the waypoint in Third Church of Marika it puts you at the northern tip of Caelid and you bypass all the dragons. If you want to run through, you can. Just stay on the horse and don't look back.

There is also a cheese area in Caelid where there's a giant dragon that does not move (surrounded by other dragons that will attack you if you get too close). But you can attack it and it does damage (attack at it's tail). It takes a long ass time to kill it but if you use a bleed weapon it will take 13K chunks of health when the bleed procs. If you happen to throw on a pickled foot (exp boost item) right before you kill it, you'll get something like 100K runes or so from an enemy that can't fight back.
yea, that's the place I was looking for. I'll look for that path you mentioned.

Whats everyones favorite summons so far? I have the wolves, the jellyfish, rotten stray (fav), a bunch of meandering guys, forget the name. Great so far. Dont forget you can actually UPGRADE your summons.

I've got some skeletons that do a pretty nice job of wiping things out. They're not fast like the wolves, but they are a touch more effective. Also have the jellyfish. I think those three are all I have so far.

I think my favourite summon for a laugh are the marionette archers as they shoot so many arrows that the target looks like a pincushion. They can be good for pulling mobs but are too squishy and slow for bosses.

My main one right now is Avionette Soldiers - little imp guys that throw fire bombs and can fly for short periods but I’m not sold on them yet.

So apparently my load is too much? soooo, swap out some gear then?

I would also put a little more into dex. You don't have to make it your main focus, but keeping it higher is definitely helpful.

So is my wife.

YESSSS YESSSSS I FUCKING DID IT

please for the love of FUCKING GOD did you kill that fucking boss yet

That's almost exactly what my wife says when I'm on the last stage of the path of pain in Hollow Knight. :D Did you get through there yet?!?!?!

I'm now looking forward to getting into the game. That first boss was such a teaser. About 150 attempts and half of them were me dying at 15%. So freaking close so many times. Just irritated the hell out of me. Not really looking forward to any other bosses. The exploration and wonder that is in the game is neat, but the difficulty is way up there for my tastes. I know that's what the game is about, but something with the meter toned down a bit would be a warm welcome.

I'm now looking forward to getting into the game. That first boss was such a teaser. About 150 attempts and half of them were me dying at 15%. So freaking close so many times. Just irritated the hell out of me. Not really looking forward to any other bosses. The exploration and wonder that is in the game is neat, but the difficulty is way up there for my tastes. I know that's what the game is about, but something with the meter toned down a bit would be a warm welcome.
This how Souls players are born. One day, you will be saying I wish they made this boss harder.

I hated Commander Niall, that was such an annoying encounter. What saved me (if you haven't tried it) is charming one of his adds with a betwitching branch to help you in the fight. This is something you can make, or there is at least one NPC that sells it.
You crafty devil. Thanks for the tip. For now I ended up going to Rykard instead, which is a very entertaining and cinematic boss fight. Might be quite a bit easier too.

One thing I noticed is that if I leave one of his minions alive and then focus-fire Niall, I can get him to roughly half health before he powers up for stage 2, where he becomes significantly more aggressive and deadly.

You crafty devil. Thanks for the tip. For now I ended up going to Rykard instead, which is a very entertaining and cinematic boss fight. Might be quite a bit easier too.

One thing I noticed is that if I leave one of his minions alive and then focus-fire Niall, I can get him to roughly half health before he powers up for stage 2, where he becomes significantly more aggressive and deadly.
It's all about timing with his lightning kick, when you see that thing wind up get ready to roll. By the time I finally beat him, I beat him with no damage taken. I had a few boss fights like that in Elden Ring where I ran the encounter so many times I mastered it. Feels good.

This how Souls players are born. One day, you will be saying I wish they made this boss harder.
After spending over a hundred hours in the game and experimenting with end game builds, yeah, that's how it gets. Some are so broken it will trivialize even the hardest bosses. From there if you want the challenge you're essentially forced into mulitple NG+ playthroughs to turn it into nightmare mode with everything becoming into a one shot (against you) damage sponge. I wish they gave more depth or reason to play through NG+ modes than just bragging rights.

After spending over a hundred hours in the game and experimenting with end game builds, yeah, that's how it gets. Some are so broken it will trivialize even the hardest bosses. From there if you want the challenge you're essentially forced into mulitple NG+ playthroughs to turn it into nightmare mode with everything becoming into a one shot (against you) damage sponge. I wish they gave more depth or reason to play through NG+ modes than just bragging rights.
i'm completely avoiding reading about OP builds and such but i've already fought a few bosses that were utterly trivial (granted they were optional ones.) the summon spells alone are ridiculously OP. i fought some bosses - on the first go - and defeated them so fast i didn't even get a chance to see their animations, designs, stages or differing attacks... my summon got their attention and i just blasted them with dragon's breath a couple of times and that's all she wrote. i know i can choose not to summon, but... they're clearly a significant thing in the game, i shouldn't have to feel like i'm cheesing just by using a game mechanic as intended.

i think they could've had a mechanic similar to un-hollowing or kindling in order to use those summon spells, and if you did, you opened yourself up to invasion. i think that would've been a good compromise between the "you only get invaded if you summon for co-op, or go out of your way for pvp" way it is now, and the more unforgiving style of the previous games.

i'm completely avoiding reading about OP builds and such but i've already fought a few bosses that were utterly trivial (granted they were optional ones.) the summon spells alone are ridiculously OP. i fought some bosses - on the first go - and defeated them so fast i didn't even get a chance to see their animations, designs, stages or differing attacks... my summon got their attention and i just blasted them with dragon's breath a couple of times and that's all she wrote. i know i can choose not to summon, but... they're clearly a significant thing in the game, i shouldn't have to feel like i'm cheesing just by using a game mechanic as intended.

i think they could've had a mechanic similar to un-hollowing or kindling in order to use those summon spells, and if you did, you opened yourself up to invasion. i think that would've been a good compromise between the "you only get invaded if you summon for co-op, or go out of your way for pvp" way it is now, and the more unforgiving style of the previous games.
In my experience throughout the game, the spirit ash summon was more useful than a player summon 90% of the time. The flexibility is nice and to be completely honest, there are a couple of bosses that I feel I would have stood no chance against without the ability to use the summon. I imagine that the game was most definitely designed around that mechanic and using it, playing without it is essentially just gimping yourself for the sake of a tougher challenge - so I agree. Using what's given to you makes sense.

A notorious hacker who's been slaughtering and softbanning players in Elden Ring has said he's a "necessary evil"...Malcolm Reynolds has already caused issues in Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls Remastered, and now he's at it again in Elden Ring

Not only does he invade a player's game and kill them through powerful spells (a totally legitimate game mechanic), his spells are hacked to imbue their inventory with an invalid item that results in a softban by FromSoftware...

https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-hacker-softban-malcolm-reynolds-dark-souls-a-1848643683

I remember this Malcolm guy from Dark Souls 3...I would frequently backup my saves

A notorious hacker who's been slaughtering and softbanning players in Elden Ring has said he's a "necessary evil"...Malcolm Reynolds has already caused issues in Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls Remastered, and now he's at it again in Elden Ring

Not only does he invade a player's game and kill them through powerful spells (a totally legitimate game mechanic), his spells are hacked to imbue their inventory with an invalid item that results in a softban by FromSoftware...

https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-hacker-softban-malcolm-reynolds-dark-souls-a-1848643683

I remember this Malcolm guy from Dark Souls 3...I would frequently backup my saves
Haha wow, fuck this guy and FromSoftware for leaving their game so vulnerable to this kind of asshattery.

As a lark, i tried the winged boss after you teleport in from the 3rd church of marika and got him down by about 40%. May work on it for fun. As for the mobs in that area, i've been usually just making a big sweep of them and rinse/repeat.
On the dragon, i heard that if you dont kill it for the runes, you can kill the dragons around it for 3500 runes each and reset it at the fort grace point. (apparently they don't respawn if you've killed the downed dragon though)

Back