Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

View attachment 453121

I probably screwed this all up. meh.

Naw, I'm not getting a controller just for the game. I'm still trying to convince myself to stick with it.

Be nice if there was more access to gear. I've got a brass shield of some sort and a long sword.

View attachment 453122

There are some dudes at these camps with weird helmets, lances, and big shields that really ruin my day.

Iunno. I'm not convinced yet. I'm just trying to force myself through it it seems.
Funny thing is Brass shield is probably the best shield in the game. All the way to end game I looked for something better, and it just doesn't exist unless you want to go the Greatshield route.

As someone who's a veteran Souls player (beat all of them), I'm not surprised some players are having a hard time with this game. Even for me it can be an overwhelming experience. I'm on Commander Niall right now, and oh boy. Ended up taking a break and retreading old areas to beat bosses I skipped or paths I've missed. I've leveled a bunch but now I'm running out of ideas. Having my Great Rune situation finally figured out certainly helps a lot, but even that isn't enough to save my ass from getting handed to me.
I hated Commander Niall, that was such an annoying encounter. What saved me (if you haven't tried it) is charming one of his adds with a betwitching branch to help you in the fight. This is something you can make, or there is at least one NPC that sells it.

Tried that Magrit guy again on the Hero. No way. Not a chance. At least with the caster class I could lob some spell at him. The melee build I just get wrecked.

Tried that Magrit guy again on the Hero. No way. Not a chance. At least with the caster class I could lob some spell at him. The melee build I just get wrecked.
Lots and lots and lots and lots of practice dodging. But this game doesn’t care about practice. You make one mistake and you die. Very unforgiving. If you want a hilarious display of omg, try attacking the beast clergyman Gurranq. He will eat your face in the blink of an eye. I was just curious what he would do because in previous From games, attacking any NPC causes them to attack you back. It was terrifying.

Yep. This is dumb again. I've got about 3h on Margit. While kiddo napped I played for a bit. 50% is the best I did. At this rate, I guess I could farm runes at the camps for a month then try again. I don't have that sort of commitment. I'd like to play for an hour or two and have something come of it.

I'll try to come back to it after a few weeks.

Yep. This is dumb again. I've got about 3h on Margit. While kiddo napped I played for a bit. 50% is the best I did. At this rate, I guess I could farm runes at the camps for a month then try again. I don't have that sort of commitment. I'd like to play for an hour or two and have something come of it.

I beat him yesterday with the Astrologer (after like 30 tries). My play-style is more attack from a distance then run around screaming like a frightened child. Seems to be working.

Best thing to do is join someone else's game as co op at the boss gate. Over and over have fun drink a few beers. You get 5000 runes each time and you can learn and level up.

This is what I do every boss. I beat him solo all dodging no block no magic/spells.

Last edited:

At a certain point you just need to get good at these games. That's it. Pick a playstyle, stick with it, and get good.

Funny thing is Brass shield is probably the best shield in the game. All the way to end game I looked for something better, and it just doesn't exist unless you want to go the Greatshield route.
I have the brass shield but I’ve become pretty reliant on the Parry skill that came with the starting Confessor shield. There must be an ash of war for Parry, that I can add to the brass shield, somewhere right?

I have the brass shield but I’ve become pretty reliant on the Parry skill that came with the starting Confessor shield. There must be an ash of war for Parry, that I can add to the brass shield, somewhere right?
Try the warmasters hut guy... I think he has it for sale. Stormhill.

At a certain point you just need to get good at these games. That's it. Pick a playstyle, stick with it, and get good.
Naw, I get it. I just need to level more. I'm 21. I figure an hour or two a night and about another three or four weeks farming runes I'll come back.

I dodge/roll and it takes about three seconds to recover. During that time I get pooched. I probably messed up some points or something. My guy is so slow to react. Dodge, wait three seconds, roll, wait three seconds, roll, wait three seconds. I just lumber about.

Naw, I get it. I just need to level more. I'm 21. I figure an hour or two a night and about another three or four weeks farming runes I'll come back.

I dodge/roll and it takes about three seconds to recover. During that time I get pooched. I probably messed up some points or something. My guy is so slow to react. Dodge, wait three seconds, roll, wait three seconds, roll, wait three seconds. I just lumber about.
you're keeping an eye on equip load i assume?

Elden Ring is much more friendly to casuals. In Dark Souls when it's just mostly legacy dungeons with limited ways to progress early on, GIT GUD is much more realistic and imperative than with Elden Ring. You can just go overlevel, get much better gear, and come back and slaughter what was giving you trouble. You can cheese the hardest bosses in Elden Ring with the right build. It's kinda sad, seeing all the videos now after I completed the game blind without guides and builds. I spent countless hours trying to tackle Malenia only to find players figuring out ways to one shot her. Makes my achievement feel like it was nothing.

I try to empty out my loot into the chest if that's what you mean.
You need to watch your weight, heavy load will result in fat rolling. Need to keep it medium or less and you'll fast roll.
Also as I mentioned there's no need to go "farm runes" for 3 or 4 weeks. If you are so unfamiliar with game mechanics than maybe you should get some info to make life easier. Co op the boss with others, you will learn his move set, see what others are doing and pic things up along the way. Every time you defeat the boss in co op you get 5k runes. Much smarter than random farming that takes forever that you will probably die and lose anyway lol. Remember this is a from software game you can't have it your way.

gdfssss.png

So apparently my load is too much? soooo, swap out some gear then?
Get the Arsenal Charm ASAP, look it up - it will help you tremendously.

Late game you can get the Great-Jar's Arsenal which increases it even more.

Also looks like you're going strength so you'll want plenty of endurance for stamina as well. Being able to swing your weapon more and block more incoming hits is very important.

So apparently my load is too much? soooo, swap out some gear then?
yes, swap out gear, take off gear if you need to (i.e. helmet, second or third weapon slots you don't really need, etc) unequip talisman if you have one, that type of thing.

the endurance stat lets you use heavier gear without getting into 'heavy load.'

there are other ways/items that can help a lot too like delita mentioned, but start with the basics first.

hey polonyc2 , have you had the chance to play ER yet? how are you liking it if so?

not yet...I pre-ordered it and it's been sitting in my Steam Library...I've been too busy with work and I don't want to start this until I know I can play it the way I want to- meaning I don't want to play 1 day, take a day off, play again etc...the past year has been really busy for me and I've barely touched any games...weird thing is I built my new 5800X RTX 3080 rig last year and have barely done any gaming on it

I have a ton of games to catch up on- Cyberpunk, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Control etc...I did start a Doom Eternal run last week as I never played the DLC or with RT enabled

not yet...I pre-ordered it and it's been sitting in my Steam Library...I've been too busy with work and I don't want to start this until I know I can play it the way I want to- meaning I don't want to play 1 day, take a day off, play again etc...the past year has been really busy for me and I've barely touched any games...weird thing is I built my new 5800X RTX 3080 rig last year and have barely done any gaming on it

I have a ton of games to catch up on- Cyberpunk, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Control etc...I did start a Doom Eternal run last week as I never played the DLC or with RT enabled
gotcha... well i hope you get the time soon, i'm sure you will love it.

So I can farm the giants on Stormy Hill or whatever. 1000R per kill. Takes me a few minutes for each. I'll start throwing a bunch of points into End. See where that goes.

Magrit is about 40% each fight.

Mobs in the Farum Greatbridge area give 1094 runes each and there's about 30+ of them. Takes me (As a mage at range) about 10-20 seconds each.

So I can farm the giants on Stormy Hill or whatever. 1000R per kill. Takes me a few minutes for each. I'll start throwing a bunch of points into End. See where that goes.

Magrit is about 40% each fight.
Have you gotten to Caelid yet? Here's your best option for low to mid level rune farming. Go to the Third Church of Marika in Limgrave, there's a waypoint portal that will take you to Dragonbarrow (north Caelid). There's a boss outside the door that will wreck your shit, but you can go around him. Down the hill there's another grace point and a bridge where a dragon is roaming. He'll also wreck your shit, avoid. But the area in between is where some normal mobs called Vulgar Militia roam and you can essentially circle and kill them on horseback without much trouble. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy and very low risk being so close to a grace point. They give 1000 runes each and should only take you a few hits to kill. You can get 20-30 levels there in literally no time.

Mobs in the Farum Greatbridge area give 1094 runes each and there's about 30+ of them. Takes me (As a mage at range) about 10-20 seconds each.
Funny, I guess everyone knows the spots now. I was farming this within 24 hours of the game launching, really wish I was a YT'er and I could've gotten tons of views. I was finding things, reporting on reddit, next thing you know BOOM everything is on YT with people acting like they were the first to find them.

I kept my mouth shut about Hoarfrost stomp but it was all over the place pretty quickly too. Now it's so widely abused it needs a nerf, significantly. A +25 Uchigatana with Hoarfrost stomp is the EZ button for every end game boss in Elden Ring. Pretty bullshit.

did you finish the game?...where does it rank on your FromSoft list (I'm assuming you played some or all of their PC games)
nah, not even close. i have about 30 hours but i've been taking my time, with a bit of farming and also just enjoying the sights. so far i like it more than any other From game except Bloodborne. it's very much a dark souls game with some tweaked and tuned mechanics and a large 'overworld' but i wouldn't say the open world stuff dramatically improves upon the From formula, it's just... different.

Have you gotten to Caelid yet? Here's your best option for low to mid level rune farming. Go to the Third Church of Marika in Limgrave, there's a waypoint portal that will take you to Dragonbarrow (north Caelid). There's a boss outside the door that will wreck your shit, but you can go around him. Down the hill there's another grace point and a bridge where a dragon is roaming. He'll also wreck your shit, avoid. But the area in between is where some normal mobs called Vulgar Militia roam and you can essentially circle and kill them on horseback without much trouble. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy and very low risk being so close to a grace point. They give 1000 runes each and should only take you a few hits to kill. You can get 20-30 levels there in literally no time.
Naw, haven't been that way.

so much for just exploring on my own, heh

I see where that place is. I'll venture over there.

Notice under "Equip Load" is says heavy load? Every item you're wearing has a weight value, you want to wear lighter gear until it drops to mid load. Then your character's rolls will be faster and more responsive. (equipment in your secondary weapon slots also contribute to the weight even if you're not actively using it, so remove anything you don't readily need)

Also you can go do the southern areas of the map before going for Margit. It's not 'farming' it's just playing an open world game. Margit is a very tough boss for melee characters, especially if it's your first Souls game.

Back