Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

You have to go a little bit in the story at first to get the steed and to be able to get levels, but after that you can pretty much do what you want. (Think you have to find 3 sites of grace to have that person come to you) I've mainly just wandered around for the first few days myself. ;)

So before I get this tonight, is there a storyline I need to follow? Am I going to have to follow dialogue and answer questions? Or can I just explore things on my own way and ignore the entire story line? I hate stories. I could care less. I just want to kill things, craft, maybe explore, and have progression with new gear and skills.
There is a 'story' you can follow in this game, but you really don't need to. You can completely ignore it and be fine. It's not like other games where they force you to do things.

So before I get this tonight, is there a storyline I need to follow? Or can I just explore things on my own way and ignore the entire story line? I hate stories. I could care less. I just want to kill things, craft, maybe explore, and have progression with new gear and skills.
First Souls game? They aren't for everyone but are amazing experiences as long as you have some patience and willingness to learn from your mistakes.

In all the Souls games you can 100% completely ignore all story / quests and still complete the game 99.99% successfully. The last 0.01% is only if you want a specific ending or a specific quest reward most players will miss anyway. In fact I'd wager most players of Soulsborne games only have a vague idea of the story in the game themselves, which is exactly as the devs intended. Soulsborne games are all about pure gameplay, there's no NPCs regurgitating hours of dialogue and exposition.

In this game you should indeed make sure you talk to the NPC which gives you the horse, then you can go do whatever you want.

Tip - make sure your equipment load isn't too high so your roll isn't slow - mid roll you are invulnerable to damage (i-frames or invincibility frames which are useful for dodging attacks)

mmk. ordering and installing. wife and kiddo are gone for a bit tomorrow so I'll have some time to get into it.

First Souls game? They aren't for everyone but are amazing experiences as long as you have some patience and willingness to learn from your mistakes.

In all the Souls games you can 100% completely ignore all story / quests and still complete the game 99.99% successfully. The last 0.01% is only if you want a specific ending or a specific quest reward most players will miss anyway. In fact I'd wager most players of Soulsborne games only have a vague idea of the story in the game themselves, which is exactly as the devs intended. Soulsborne games are all about pure gameplay, there's no NPCs regurgitating hours of dialogue and exposition.

In this game you should indeed make sure you talk to the NPC which gives you the horse, then you can go do whatever you want.

Tip - make sure your equipment load isn't too high so your roll isn't slow - mid roll you are invulnerable to attacks (i-frames or invincibility frames which are useful for dodging attacks)
Yea, first Souls game. I'm sort of hesitant on it because it seems like every video I've seen was some crazy hard boss that you just wipe continuously on. Not quite my style.

Installing now.

Yea, first Souls game. I'm sort of hesitant on it because it seems like every video I've seen was some crazy hard boss that you just wipe continuously on. Not quite my style.

Installing now.
Damn you should have said that first. Dying on bosses repeatedly, while you learn their move-set, how to avoid damage, how/when to deal damage etc is kinda a core tenet of the genre :\
That said in this game
(1) there are respawn points right next door to most boss fights
(2) it's open world, you can leave a difficult area/boss, go explore/level up/gear up elsewhere then return ready to kick some butt
(3) you have spirits you can summon to assist in boss fights, which can help greatly in buying you time to heal / dps
(you can also use ranged damage spells to make the game easier, but imo melee is much more rewarding)

One piece of advice is to try not to have a lot of runes before hard fights as you might lose them if you die repeatedly to the mob. Hate to have 100K runes and lose them all...lol

Installing now.
Since its your first Souls-like:

I recommend that you start the game as a "Confessor" class. This will start you with a decent sword, a 100% physical damage blocking shield (only one other class starts with that), and a minor heal spell (from Faith magic). It also starts you with a decent amount of Faith points and attunement (gives you slots to equip/remember spells), so you can start using Faith spells which you find or buy either immeditaly, or with a few upgrade points into Faith.

When you talk to an NPC----talk to them multiple times. They often have at least a few lines of dialogue and may end up giving you items or offering you a quest. But only if you talk to them enough times.

And remember, if you manage to pick up an item, you keep it ;)

For your starting keepsake gift---you should probably choose the goldenseed. Which will allow you to add an additional flask (you can choose to make your flasks healing flasks or flasks which replenish your magic/special skill points).

If you knock an enemy off a cliff and they drop something from their death, if you leave the game to the title screen and re-load, that item drop will be on the ground, at the edge of the cliff. You don't necessarily know if they dropped something when they fall off a cliff. So its a good idea to quit to the title screen and re-load, on principal.

Last edited:
Based on what I've been following in this thread, you appear to be the Elden tweak expert sooo...

I "bit" once again and installed last night etc.

Besides setting the game to Offline/Solo mode, and setting Nvidia Shader Cache to Unlimited - is there anything else I should be made aware of to ensure an optimal experience??

(I'll be playing off my Gen3 nVME /w G-Sync enabled soooo...)

Many thanks sir!
there's not much to add really, you can't fix the stuttering that still occurs in the game when it loads sections of the world so that's something you just have to learn to live with until/if it gets patched (unless you're one of the lucky ones who it doesn't bother at all.)

if you're gaming at 1080p i would see how it runs at maximum settings, but if it drops too far below 60 fps for comfort, i suggest turning everything to 'high' except textures at max, and shader quality and reflection quality to low. that gives the best tradeoff for framerate vs visuals imho. but hopefully you won't have to do that at all. if you're gaming at 1440p then for sure you will have to drop some settings.

while we're on this topic, i wanted to do some extended elden ring gaming tonight but it's still crashing periodically, sigh... just infrequently enough that it keeps tempting me to play anyway, and just frequently enough that it's really pissing me off

Damn you should have said that first. Dying on bosses repeatedly, while you learn their move-set, how to avoid damage, how/when to deal damage etc is kinda a core tenet of the genre :\
That said in this game
(1) there are respawn points right next door to most boss fights
(2) it's open world, you can leave a difficult area/boss, go explore/level up/gear up elsewhere then return ready to kick some butt
(3) you have spirits you can summon to assist in boss fights, which can help greatly in buying you time to heal / dps
(you can also use ranged damage spells to make the game easier, but imo melee is much more rewarding)
yea the open world I'm sort of looking forward to. I don't mind getting gear to level up some and returning to a boss as opposed to running the same thing over and over again.

We'll see how it goes.

So as someone who never played the Souls games but liked the type of combat in Jedi Fallen Order and vibe of Skyrim, is this worth checking out?

I had started Jedi Fallen Order a year or so ago, got to a certain spot and stopped playing. I've been playing Elden Ring the past couple of weeks, and decided to boot up Fallen Order to see how it plays on Xbox Series X.

After changing the controls to mimic Elden Ring's default controls, I started Fallen Order and immediately got into a boss fight (against the Sister). I absolutely curb stomped that boss and I owe it all to Elden Ring's brutality.

there's not much to add really, you can't fix the stuttering that still occurs in the game when it loads sections of the world so that's something you just have to learn to live with until/if it gets patched (unless you're one of the lucky ones who it doesn't bother at all.)

if you're gaming at 1080p i would see how it runs at maximum settings, but if it drops too far below 60 fps for comfort, i suggest turning everything to 'high' except textures at max, and shader quality and reflection quality to low. that gives the best tradeoff for framerate vs visuals imho. but hopefully you won't have to do that at all. if you're gaming at 1440p then for sure you will have to drop some settings.

while we're on this topic, i wanted to do some extended elden ring gaming tonight but it's still crashing periodically, sigh... just infrequently enough that it keeps tempting me to play anyway, and just frequently enough that it's really pissing me off

Thank ya, will report back later tonight with results...

Please lawd, be better than launch day.....

alright. so that lasted long. why is the game showing all controller buttons and not pc? keeps telling me to hit Y and stuff. I get Q is back/quit, E is accept, etc. There a way to have the keyboard keys show up instead?

I can report that now compared to launch, this is SO MUCH better!!

Tweaks I applied: Offline mode, Nvidia Shader Cache set to Unlimited, and FPS capped at 59 (because I read somewhere it helps with frametimes)

Is it smooth as butter? Ehhhhh almost... I caught a couple very, very minor hitches but it's barely noticeable compared to the train wreck that was launch. (Max Textures & Shadows, everything else High, with DoF/Motion Blur off)

I CAN say this with some confidence: If you're one of those people that's been on the fence, wondering if you should wait for the "magic patch" or play now.. I kinda wanna suggest play now :)

- Bearing in mind you have some form of Adaptive-Sync monitor & an nVME (preferably)

Go to options and there should be a box you can set to use the keyboard and mouse.

Radann is the biggest fucking bullshit boss in any Souls game fucking period.
Eh, not really. He's pretty easy to beat if you use what the game gives you. You pretty much just start off by running forward and spawning as many as you can. Once he's attacking the NPC's, ride in and do as much damage as you possibly can. Before he gets to the phase 2 50% HP point, make sure you do an absolute shitload of DPS that you possibly can at that point so you can get him with only 1/4 HP tops. Then just ride around on your horse spawning the NPC's and let them do the rest of the work. You can ride to the other side of a hill to avoid those purple rocks that will instant kill you. His meteor slam thing is easy to dodge on horseback. He's pretty vulnerable to bleed and/or rot.

I suppose people will say this is 'cheese' because it's not hardcore enough because you're not fighting him solo, but I call BS on that. The game is designed to let you spawn all those NPC's, and multiple times even. So use what the developers give you.

Honestly, I had way more difficulty with Margit.

And I disagree. The biggest bullshit boss in any 'souls' game was Owl (Father) in Sekiro. Insane amount of moves available, and required full perfection of everything in Sekiro to beat that guy.

Last edited:
Go to options and there should be a box you can set to use the keyboard and mouse.
I can use kb/m, but the entire game seems to be based around controller. All the options are like,
B: Back
Y: Default

etc.

ah ha! its by the sound settings. so that helps.

I'm an hour in. holy shit this game is HARD.

I can use kb/m, but the entire game seems to be based around controller. All the options are like,
B: Back
Y: Default

etc.

ah ha! its by the sound settings. so that helps.

I'm an hour in. holy shit this game is HARD.

This video helped get things right (or as right as they can be) for using mouse and keyboard.

yea, I'm an hour in. this isn't my genre at all.

I tried fighting the big horse dude. then some dragon temple thing where dogs kept mauling me. got into a dungeon thing. fought rats over and over again. managed to get to a chest that threw me into a mine I couldn't escape. finally just ran for it. got into some place where I followed a path with these mine type thing to a big blue blobby thing that spewed stuff. killed that and nothing came of it.

yep. refund requested. Didn't care for this at all.

I tried fighting the big horse dude. then some dragon temple thing where dogs kept mauling me. got into a dungeon thing. fought rats over and over again. managed to get to a chest that threw me into a mine I couldn't escape. finally just ran for it. got into some place where I followed a path with these mine type thing to a big blue blobby thing that spewed stuff. killed that and nothing came of it.

I'd be curious how many new players experienced this exact same scenario - those Dragon Burn Ruins (or whatever it's called) is really close to the starting cave after all.

you'll be back some day... 😈

I couldn't figure out if I was too low for that, or I just sucked.

Probably. But not at $60.
I suggest playing Sekiro first, and seeing if you like that. If you can beat that game, Elden Ring will be easy to pick up. Elden Ring will be pretty daunting if you generally don't understand the mechanics of how their games are designed. Sekiro is harder, but because it's a linear experience it doesn't have that initial trolling like Elden Ring does.

1647055764253.jpeg

I suggest playing Sekiro first, and seeing if you like that. If you can beat that game, Elden Ring will be easy to pick up. Elden Ring will be pretty daunting if you generally don't understand the mechanics of how their games are designed. Sekiro is harder, but because it's a linear experience it doesn't have that initial trolling like Elden Ring does.
Haha, I would not suggest Sekiro for a first timer ;)

Probably just pick up Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls remake (if you have a PS5) and kick around in that for awhile. To get a sense of what these games want from you. Demon's Souls opening training level and then Boletaria Castle's first area, are a fantastic traning primer for souls games. Demon's Souls is legendary for a reason, afterall.

Also, Elden Ring isn't trolling. Its teaching you from the very beginning, that you aren't supposed to be face every single thing you come across---the moment you first come across it. This is a large world which you are meant to explore and move around in. And if you come across an enemy or an area which is too harsh for you-----go somewhere else and come back later (or try to sneak past it or run past it). You haven't always been able to do that in Dark Souls games. You can sometimes, but not to the degree of freedom which Elden Ring's world allows.
Are there enemies you can mow down as well or is it all brutal boss fights?
Eventually, just about any character will become strong enough and the player will learn enough, to survive a long time. And even "mow" through some enemies.

From the very start, the 3 easiest starting classes to "mow" through some early enemies are the Vagabond, The Hero, and the Astronomer. Tor starting physical damage, the Hero hits the hardest but, their starting shield is not 100% physical damage blocking. The vagabond doesn't hit quite as hard, but does have a 100% phsyical block shield and better armor. The Astronomer has two attack magic spells. You have to manage your magic bar and you can't take hits. But...you can kill a lot of early enemies from a distance.

The "Astrologer" has two attack magic spells. You have to manage your magic bar and you can't take hits. But...you can kill a lot of early enemies from a distance.

Corrected cuz I'm mage or nothing at all..

"I throw beams, that's what I do."

Haha, I would not suggest Sekiro for a first timer ;)

Probably just pick up Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls remake (if you have a PS5) and kick around in that for awhile. To get a sense of what these games want from you. Demon's Souls opening training level and then Boletaria Castle's first area, are a fantastic traning primer for souls games. Demon's Souls is legendary for a reason, afterall.

Also, Elden Ring isn't trolling. Its teaching you from the very beginning, that you aren't supposed to be face every single thing you come across---the moment you first come across it. This is a large world which you are meant to explore and move around in. And if you come across an enemy or an area which is too harsh for you-----go somewhere else and come back later (or try to sneak past it or run past it). You haven't always been able to do that in Dark Souls games. You can sometimes, but not to the degree of freedom which Elden Ring's world allows.

Eventually, just about any character will become strong enough and the player will learn enough, to survive a long time. And even "mow" through some enemies.

From the very start, the 3 easiest starting classes to "mow" through some early enemies are the Vagabond, The Hero, and the Astronomer. The for starting physical damage, the Hero hits the hardest but, their starting shield is not 100% physical damage blocking. The vagabond doesn't hit quite as hard, but does have a 100% phsyical block shield. The Astronomer has two attack magic spells. You have to manage your magic bar and you can't take hits. But...you can kill a lot of early enemies from a distance.
That's not really true. Sekiro had tons of optional mini-bosses/enemies, and it's something you learned in that game. If you went off the main-line path, you could expect to find enemies that would kick your shit in, and there were plenty of skippable foes as well. That's why I enjoy Sekiro over the Dark Souls games, it had far more freedom of movement, stealth, choosing your battles, etc. A lot of that is in Elden Ring.

I agree the developers are trying to 'teach' the player in Elden Ring with stuff like this early on, but honestly, I could see rage-quitting the game forever if you didn't have an understanding of general FROM SOFTWARE game mechanics, and Sekiro does a good job of easing the player in to stuff, unlike Elden Ring.

Also, the more I play Elden Ring, i'm increasingly of the opinion that Sekiro is still their best work IMO. I love Elden Ring, but the movement & flow of combat in Sekiro was just so magical. I'll replay Sekiro many times over again; Elden Ring once i'm done, I don't see myself coming back.

Last edited:
That's not really true. Sekiro had tons of optional mini-bosses/enemies, and it's something you learned in that game. If you went off the main-line path, you could expect to find enemies that would kick your shit in, and there were plenty of skippable foes as well. That's why I enjoy Sekiro over the Dark Souls games, it had far more freedom of movement, stealth, choosing your battles, etc. A lot of that is in Elden Ring.

I agree the developers are trying to 'teach' the player in Elden Ring with stuff like this early on, but honestly, I could see rage-quitting the game forever if you didn't have an understanding of general FROM SOFTWARE game mechanics, and Sekiro does a good job of easing the player in to stuff, unlike Elden Ring.

Also, the more I play Elden Ring, i'm increasingly of the opinion that Sekiro is still their best work IMO. I love Elden Ring, but the movement & flow of combat in Sekiro was just so magical. I'll replay Sekiro many times over again; Elden Ring once i'm done, I don't see myself coming back.
The single reason I don't suggest a first timer play Sekiro----is because its much more narrow about the combat and what the game wants from you. And is in a sense, even more skill based, around a specific set of skills. Dark Souls (and Elden Ring) have a whole lot more freedom for players to adopt their own style.

The single reason I don't suggest a first timer play Sekiro----is because its much more narrow about the combat and what the game wants from you. And is in a sense, even more skill based, around a specific set of skills. Dark Souls (and Elden Ring) have a whole lot more freedom for players to adopt their own style.
I suppose, but for some it's going to be far less rage inducing knowing that you only need get better with what the game is throwing in your face, versus Elden Ring where you open a chest and it transports your level 2 character to a level 50-60 zone within the first 10 minutes of playing.

The game isn't perfect, and there's a lot of low hanging fruit to make it a lot better, but let's face it: this is basically the only company left making real video games as of 2022.

Outside of these guys your options are walking simulators and boring movies that are thinly veiled left wing political statements. These guys are keeping gaming hanging on by a thread.

Based on what I've been following in this thread, you appear to be the Elden tweak expert sooo...

I "bit" once again and installed last night etc.

Besides setting the game to Offline/Solo mode, and setting Nvidia Shader Cache to Unlimited - is there anything else I should be made aware of to ensure an optimal experience??

(I'll be playing off my Gen3 nVME /w G-Sync enabled soooo...)

Many thanks sir!
The game is also reportedly very sensitive to peripherales and any drivers which are initialized as "external"------which apparently can include the way gamepass installs its games. I have seen people report large reductions in stutter, by unplugging USB devices which aren't need to play Elden Ring. and also by uninstalling everything related to gamepass.

Also, disable any overlays.

Some of this stuff is YMMV. But the gamepass thing seems to have some traction. But if you have any stuttering which doesn't seem obviously linked to loading dungeons or portions of the map-----try unplugging stuff or uinistalling extra apps.

I can't say that Afterburner or OBS added any extra stutter, on my own system.

The game isn't perfect, and there's a lot of low hanging fruit to make it a lot better, but let's face it: this is basically the only company left making real video games as of 2022.

Outside of these guys your options are walking simulators and boring movies that are thinly veiled left wing political statements. These guys are keeping gaming hanging on by a thread.
:rolleyes:

Back