Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Cool beans.

I'm on the fence. I'm pretty much finished up with this league of Path of Exile. I may give it a shot. Right now I'm just addicted to wiping off screen after screen of mobs. I tried the whole Skyrim and Fallout thing, and I never really got myself into it for whatever reason.

Cool beans.

I'm on the fence. I'm pretty much finished up with this league of Path of Exile. I may give it a shot. Right now I'm just addicted to wiping off screen after screen of mobs. I tried the whole Skyrim and Fallout thing, and I never really got myself into it for whatever reason.
As a newbie to these games, right now the game has me hooked just because there’s so much to learn and take in. I’m spending just as much time watching YouTube tutorials and googling things like “why can’t I use spirit ashes in certain areas?” as I am actually playing the game. Just learning the lay of the land is intriguing to me. So if you’re new like me, be prepared for some catch-up.

There is a slight delay on the roll (higher that previous soulsborne titles), it's quite small but noticeable if you're trying to use the roll's iframes to avoid damage against fast attacks, like Margit's second stage. Against most mobs it isn't a detriment, however this game has many 'bloodborne speed' type bosses, so I do hope they can alleviate the issue somewhat.

Trying to argue about whether there is a delay or not, or whether it's a keypress or keyrelease issue is silly - you're talking with players who've probably spent hundreds or thousands of hours in every earlier Souls franchise, and will notice the differences in animation response times even if very miniscule.

I dunno I rolled through Margit after practice. Literally rolled though everything medium weight with 2 greatswords. Every game had different timing for the iframes and dodging along with differences or absence of how weight changed rolls. I guess I can agree there's a delay or something but I never would have thought about it or mentioned it unless I heard it here first. On PS5 not sure if matters.

There is a slight delay on the roll (higher that previous soulsborne titles), it's quite small but noticeable if you're trying to use the roll's iframes to avoid damage against fast attacks, like Margit's second stage. Against most mobs it isn't a detriment, however this game has many 'bloodborne speed' type bosses, so I do hope they can alleviate the issue somewhat.

Trying to argue about whether there is a delay or not, or whether it's a keypress or keyrelease issue is silly - you're talking with players who've probably spent hundreds or thousands of hours in every earlier Souls franchise, and will notice the differences in animation response times even if very miniscule.
You can test it yourself if you don't want to believe it. Just hold down the roll/run button before your character starts running, and release. At release you'll roll the very instant that button comes up. If you mash said button during a fight, you're going to run risk of not rolling when you want because you're not releasing it.

1646957939528.png

Just checking to see if the PC performance issues are ironed out yet....

KP 3090 at 5120x1440. (G9 monitor resolution) Occasional second-long stutters every so often, but manageable. Didn't try Radahn tonight, but instead upgraded my spells since i was still mainly using the beginner ones. (Got some heavy hitters now) Also got the Lusat staff, but need to get a level or two of stats up to use it.

yeah, i'd just be shocked if this was something they overlooked or did not intend. technical issues are one thing.. if there's one thing from is pretty good with it's tuning the combat timing and feel and all that. but at the same time i don't play the from games quite as much as some so what feels pretty normal to me probably feels awful to someone else. i do wonder how much balancing in general they'll do over the course of the next few months. i've seen some genuinely stupid shit as far as balance goes lol, i think it's fair to say this game is a little more open to exploitation or cheesing than any other From game so far.
No doubt. I've seen some shit in the past days since completing the game that made my achievement feel near worthless the way some people are exploiting to make quick work of the games hardest bosses.

Wonder how many people who claim to have finished the game in just a few days actually used cheats? I know some people actually used a little "Help", but then again, some players ARE that good at this stuff. :notworthy:

you're just gonna get a mix of people saying they have no issues whatsoever or people saying it's still a shitshow or like me saying it's so-so... but to answer your question, nothing major in terms of patches for that yet, no
The hero we needed.

yeah, i'd just be shocked if this was something they overlooked or did not intend. technical issues are one thing.. if there's one thing from is pretty good with it's tuning the combat timing and feel and all that. but at the same time i don't play the from games quite as much as some so what feels pretty normal to me probably feels awful to someone else. i do wonder how much balancing in general they'll do over the course of the next few months. i've seen some genuinely stupid shit as far as balance goes lol, i think it's fair to say this game is a little more open to exploitation or cheesing than any other From game so far.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off like a jerk over this. XD I really do like the game quite a bit, and hopefully will have more time to play it a hella lot this weekend.

This game is unreal.... I was doing my "ignore the questline, lets go explore" when I fell off this waterwheel. I got eaten by one of those rolling tower of pendulum scythes thingies, and they teleported me to volcanic land of fucksville. Lost a shitpile of souls, but I'm not even mad, it wasnt a bug, that's just what happens in the game. found a boss door, but I had 3/4 level of runes, its late, and I'm not going to do corpse runs tonight. The stupid shit that happens, is constantly entertaining.

Early in the game but so far ROTTEN STRAY is my favorite summons. You can basically stand by and wait for the enemy to bleed to death without doing anything. Sweet.

Wonder how many people who claim to have finished the game in just a few days actually used cheats? I know some people actually used a little "Help", but then again, some players ARE that good at this stuff. :notworthy:
When I get the game eventually, I'm just loading it up. No looking things up. No following builds. No help. Just log in and get lost.

When I get the game eventually, I'm just loading it up. No looking things up. No following builds. No help. Just log in and get lost.
that's what i did (and am still doing), other than the occasional video about performance or the odd clip of someone getting clapped in an amusing way, lol. i'll look stuff up for a second playthrough.

So as someone who never played the Souls games but liked the type of combat in Jedi Fallen Order and vibe of Skyrim, is this worth checking out?

So as someone who never played the Souls games but liked the type of combat in Jedi Fallen Order and vibe of Skyrim, is this worth checking out?
I think so. Jedi Fallen Order took a lot of inspiration from the Souls games for its combat system.

I wouldn't necessarily compare the vibe to Skyrim, though. Skyrim, I would say, is more "upbeat" with the world and situation. You are fighting against an existential threat that is appearing in the world as its inhabitants go about their daily lives. In Elden Ring, you're entering a world that is already essentially dead, and you're trying to claim the spoils in the chaos. The conflict and your character's goals are much more ambiguous than the fight of good vs. evil in Skyrim. I think the comparisons of the open world to Breath of the Wild is very apt, just with a much darker and mature tone.

Reactions: DPI
like this
ok, let's play the "analyze the FromSoft game's story" game. tell me the story of Elden Ring (at least the back story) without using something like VaatiVidya's lore videos or quoting the intro cutscene/slide presentation. GO

I just picked up the Carian slicer yesterday fun spell. Tried to melee Tree Sentinel with it. I have a long way to go level 33 or something I might try to stay at a certain level at some point.

I looked up one thing, and that was how to get a decent set of mage armor. (ended up with the standard red ones that lots of people have with the pointy hood :D ) I wanted something that had "decent" specs with really low weight for my dual dagger build. Otherwise, I've been playing it without reading much about it or watching videos. I do still talk about it here and a couple of other places, but that's about it. I've found it's a good way to play with this game.

I say give Elden Ring a try, it is actually it's own genre and you have to experience it to decide if you like it. When you play it don't give up, this genre is focused on learning from past mistakes and overcoming obstacles.

Still haven't found any "Standout" mage clothes in my travels, so still using the starter stuff since what i have found is mostly worse in stats. (At least in some areas)
Hopefully there will be better stuff later on. Btw, is there any way to upgrade armor? Or is it still mostly customizing the look?

Still haven't found any "Standout" mage clothes in my travels, so still using the starter stuff since what i have found is mostly worse in stats. (At least in some areas)
Hopefully there will be better stuff later on. Btw, is there any way to upgrade armor? Or is it still mostly customizing the look?
No way to upgrade armor. Honestly it's all about Poise and then damage resistance. It sucks because there are a couple of sets that are DEFINITIVELY the best armor, and everything else is garbage purely meant for fashion. You see a lot of people saying "armor doesn't matter" from past Souls games but it definitely matters in this game. The Tree Sentinel heavy armor you get later in the game is pretty much the best armor in the game in terms of poise / DR and it's kinda sad that you can't find much else that compares. The reality is you want to wear the heaviest armor you can wear while staying in medium load, the heavier the armor, the more poise it has. Unless you just plan on never getting hit of course, in which case just do whatever you want and be ready to die whenever you get surprised :)

This game have Covenants? I think I was in one but now have a blank box by my HP meter cant find much online except for the Volcano one in end game area.

I wish you could upgrade armor with something like the Ashes of War system. That would be nice. But no, as far as I know there's nothing you can do in that department. There are a few good sets of mage robes/armor that you can get. It's the main thing that I looked online to find, because I'm keeping my build as light as possible. I saw a few videos on good sets, but settled on the red robes with pointy hood. It's not amazing in the sense of armor, but it doesn't look stupid, is better than anything else early game, and fit my lightweight requirements.

like this
This game have Covenants? I think I was in one but now have a blank box by my HP meter cant find much online except for the Volcano one in end game area.
There are no covenants in the game. The one you're referring to is a faction. Things that resemble covenants from the previous game, like the ring that summons you to aid a group that was invaded, are replaced simply by rings. There are no associated rewards for performing duties while wearing it.

like this
I just talked to a guy on Steam said I have to hit up the 2nd boss to get a Rune in the Empty slot.
He said I have to get to the 2nd major boss and activate the Divine Tower.

I just talked to a guy on Steam said I have to hit up the 2nd boss to get a Rune in the Empty slot.
He said I have to get to the 2nd major boss and activate the Divine Tower.
I'm pretty sure the first Great Rune you get is Godrick, depending on your route in the game, you can just go up the tower I think I don't remember any prerequisite. There is a mini boss outside the bridge if that's what he means.

I'm almost 80 hours in and never figured out the great rune thing. I'm supposed to go to some tower? It's pretty vague about it so I simply never bothered. Someone hinted at me that it's the tower close to Godrick. But the tower isn't connected to any landmass that I can find, just a broken bridge, which I can't find figure out how to reach either. I've followed the perimeter of the land surrounding the tower and there's nothing obvious, but it gives the impression that I'm supposed to find a random teleport.

Now, I'm sure some people figured it out, but I can't help but wonder if most people who play this game just Googles everything (and I refuse to Google anything).

If i remember correctly, when you get to the yard area in Stormveil where there's a bunch of fire archers and a troll , you turn left as soon as you go out the door and follow the left wall and that leads to the bridge area. (From the room with the site of grace in it) There's 2 big mobs at the end of the bridge and a teleporter that will get you across it. Mobs weren't too bad for me. You then just go to the tower and climb to the top. (Think there is a site of grace there also)

ok, let's play the "analyze the FromSoft game's story" game. tell me the story of Elden Ring (at least the back story) without using something like VaatiVidya's lore videos or quoting the intro cutscene/slide presentation. GO

Based on what I've been following in this thread, you appear to be the Elden tweak expert sooo...

I "bit" once again and installed last night etc.

Besides setting the game to Offline/Solo mode, and setting Nvidia Shader Cache to Unlimited - is there anything else I should be made aware of to ensure an optimal experience??

(I'll be playing off my Gen3 nVME /w G-Sync enabled soooo...)

Many thanks sir!

I'm almost 80 hours in and never figured out the great rune thing. I'm supposed to go to some tower? It's pretty vague about it so I simply never bothered. Someone hinted at me that it's the tower close to Godrick. But the tower isn't connected to any landmass that I can find, just a broken bridge, which I can't find figure out how to reach either. I've followed the perimeter of the land surrounding the tower and there's nothing obvious, but it gives the impression that I'm supposed to find a random teleport.

Now, I'm sure some people figured it out, but I can't help but wonder if most people who play this game just Googles everything (and I refuse to Google anything).
It's literally through the first gate of the castle. If you took the side route you have to backtrack through the castle because the gate is closed. You can reopen it eventually.

So before I get this tonight, is there a storyline I need to follow? Am I going to have to follow dialogue and answer questions? Or can I just explore things on my own way and ignore the entire story line? I hate stories. I could care less. I just want to kill things, craft, maybe explore, and have progression with new gear and skills.

Back