Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

hopefully the ray-tracing patch is not too far off...I really want to play it for the first time with it enabled...
I doubt it will make it look much better. When raytracing is just slapped on it doesn't do much, since they put in all the work with normal shaders.

IMO Dark Souls 3 feels better to play. There's less input delay and every action is generally also faster. Elden Ring has more gameplay options and features. But the input delay is really annoying and I hope they tone it down. Especially for an overall slower game than Dark Souls 3.
I dunno. I never really liked Dark Souls, so I had low expectations for Elden Ring and 112 hours later I thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played. Trying to get into an older DS title now for me feels like garbage. Not to mention the fact that all of the online servers for the older games are down with no mention of when they'll come back up. I think Elden Ring having an open overworld and the ability to play the way you want to very early on makes it a superior game that the older titles can't touch.

IMO Dark Souls 3 feels better to play. There's less input delay and every action is generally also faster. Elden Ring has more gameplay options and features. But the input delay is really annoying and I hope they tone it down. Especially for an overall slower game than Dark Souls 3.
hmm... what input delay? i find it to be flawless

Personally, I think Sekiro feels the best to play. I never liked the 'feel' of the DS games. Elden Ring is superior to the DS 'feel' to me personally. Although Sekiro is still the best when it comes to that.

And yeah, i'm not seeing any input delay in this game outside of when my shitty Xbox one wireless controller looses connection some times which has nothing to do with the game.

No input delay issues on PS5 for me. I have to say first dark souls is my favorite game ever probably. All the little bugs and quirks add to it for me. I can't explain it, the love for that game. The whole art direction and all music and sounds... Timeless, feels like home when you fire it up.

I liked the other 2 even though DS2 was probably the worse game out of the 3 most people will say. I had countless hours of online entertainment and fun.
I played DS3 like 5 times perhaps ? Did Ng+1 till the end and had 2 different builds from what I remember on PC. Then I played it again on PS4 pro. Dark souls one started with prepare to die on steam, and the remastered edition on PS4 pro.

Played Bloodborne a few times and got platinum and Sekiro was a frenzy of constant obsessive gameplay until platinum. Think I did it in just under 3 plays in about 300 hours. I'd have to rank it Dark souls Bloodbourne and then Sekiro but I really loved Sekiro a lot.

Elden ring is great but I don't so much like the mindless open world ness of it. I find in smaller areas and boss battles is where I get the same feeling of those other games, however I still probably have 85% of the game left so we'll see.

hmm... what input delay? i find it to be flawless

No input delay issues on PS5 for me.

Tap the button to role. Its a strong delay before your character actually roles. I have ER on PC and PS5 (and two different Dual Sense). Attacks are similarly delayed. and the Jump doesn't feel very positive, either. Souls games have always been a bit weird about their inputs. But IMO, the strongly delayed role in particular to ER, is really annoying.

Tap the button to role. Its a strong delay before your character actually roles. I have ER on PC and PS5 (and two different Dual Sense). Attacks are similarly delayed. and the Jump doesn't feel very positive, either. Souls games have always been a bit weird about their inputs. But IMO, the strongly delayed role in particular to ER, is really annoying.
That's not input delay. That's how the game works. You start the roll/jump as soon as you hit the button, but every value in weight you add to your character increases the amount of time before you enter the roll/jump. Same goes with attacks. The lighter the build you have the faster you attack, and it takes less time to get into the actual attack.

This is why some abilities, like unsheathe, are so powerful. Even with a ton of gear on the attack has the same fast speed.

If you don't like this design, that's fine, everyone has an opinion - But this isn't input delay.

Last edited:
That's not input delay. That's how the game works. You start the roll/jump as soon as you hit the button, but every value in weight you add to your character increases the amount of time before you enter the roll/jump. Same goes with attacks. The lighter the build you have the faster you attack, and it takes less time to get into the actual attack.

This is why some abilities, like unsheathe, are so powerful. Even with a ton of gear on the attack has the same fast speed.

If you don't like this design, that's fine, everyone has an opinion - But this isn't input delay.
No that isn't it. Previous souls game did not have such a pronounced delay before your character actually started any sort of role. You can tap the role button and fully recoil your thumb, before your character actually starts a role.

I already acknowledged that souls games are always a bit weird about their inputs. but this is more blatant than usual. A "heavy" role in past games starts a role animation more/less as soon as you press a button. But its a slow and drawn out sort of flopping role. With ER, the "regular" or "medium-lite" role doesn't even start. Its just an input delay.

No that isn't it. Previous souls game did not have such a pronounced delay before your character actually started any sort of role. You can tap the role button and fully recoil your thumb, before your character actually starts a role.

I already acknowledged that souls games are always a bit weird about their inputs. but this is more blatant than usual. A "heavy" role in past games starts a role animation more/less as soon as you press a button. But its a slow and drawn out sort of flopping role. With ER, the "regular" or "medium-lite" role doesn't even start. Its just an input delay.
You realize that dodge doesn’t work until depress? Again, there is no delay.

I experience a bit of delay too, not sure if it's actual input delay or just like the way the game is supposed to be, but I don't like it. It feels less responsive than DS3 or Sekiro. Usually not an issue, but in some boss fights it can mean the difference between getting a successful dodge or not -- I find I'm forced to anticipate attacks more, which is really just guessing and doesn't feel as satisfying. I'm at medium weight, but using a strength build so I dunno. I could see it being an intentional choice, but I still dislike it lol.

Took out Rennala in the Academy tonight in a couple of tries. Going to grind a level or two tomorrow so i can use the Azure staff, then retry Radahn. (Need a couple of points of Int still)

I experience a bit of delay too, not sure if it's actual input delay or just like the way the game is supposed to be, but I don't like it. It feels less responsive than DS3 or Sekiro. Usually not an issue, but in some boss fights it can mean the difference between getting a successful dodge or not -- I find I'm forced to anticipate attacks more, which is really just guessing and doesn't feel as satisfying. I'm at medium weight, but using a strength build so I dunno. I could see it being an intentional choice, but I still dislike it lol.
Yeah its intentional. I don't mean input delay like a technical issue. What I mean is that they are buffering the input. The delay is intentional. And it's annoying, because it's a simple delay to roll. Rather than an animation which gives me some sort of feedback so that I can be more intuitive with the timing and how I control the character.

There's also a delay on the run. Instead of the first few steps gradually speeding you up, its just....wait....ok now you are running.

I wish they would have kept the inputs and game-feel more like Dark Souls 3 ;)

20220309235811_1.jpg

Played a few hours got another golden seed so I don't run out of Mana kinda sucks you need two of them later on to get a Estus flask charge.
I think alot of the spells in game are for NG+ so when I get 60 Intel the game will pretty much be over. There is a golden seed in the starting area but this bone wheel thing keeps getting me at the end. Found a new camp spot where I can get 3K in runes outside the sorcery spell lady where those two tree guys are delivering UPS. I grouped with Margit it was cheesy at level 29 with a Tank and another mage I didn't even take one hit.
This game is cheesy compared to Sekiro I couldn't stand the timed attacks pacing in that game.

Last edited:
hopefully the ray-tracing patch is not too far off...I really want to play it for the first time with it enabled...
RT would be nice, but I don't think I've spent thinking about it past the 5 minutes of seeing the world for the first time.

But any how, we all know you don't play any of these games, you just cite critics to make up your opinion. :p

Not trying to pile on but I have played every souls game ever made and have 40 hours in ER and it feels exactly the same(at least on PS5), input wise, as the others.

Not trying to pile on but I have played every souls game ever made and have 40 hours in ER and it feels exactly the same(at least on PS5), input wise, as the others.
I'm not experiencing any sort of delay, either. I'm keeping my equip load at 50% or lower out of habit, though.

This game just has loads of QoL improvements that make it better. Lets not forget stealth, and the ability to actually jump vs that fake ass DS3 running jump that equates to next to nothing. Every enemy in DS3 can see you standing around a corner and hit you through pretty much any wall. The ability this game gives you to approach encounters in different ways makes it more fun IMO. I've played DS1, DS3, Demon Souls remake, I think they all suck in their own unique way. Elden Ring is a f*cking masterpiece to behold, BUT you can tell From Software bit off more than they could chew as I'm finding or seeing more bugs on a daily basis around things that are broken in terms of how OP some combinations could be. I played through blind and did not really experiment until end game when I had the levels and the materials to start my own theorycrafting, but I've seen some shit in the past 48 hours that made me laugh, and in some cases get very upset seeing someone one shot a boss that took me hours to beat by using some crazy cheese method. Ie, you can literally stack every damage buff in the game and become a GOD for about 8 seconds

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of input buffering going on. I only really notice it on horseback and using R2 with a colossal sword. Sometimes it seems to require a double-input (I'll hold R2 to drag the sword but it won't do anything so I release and re-press it and by that point it's starting on the R2 release phase) so I have to wait for the 'attack swing cooldown' before I can do it again. I generally don't notice it on non-mounted combat.

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of input buffering going on. I only really notice it on horseback and using R2 with a colossal sword. Sometimes it seems to require a double-input (I'll hold R2 to drag the sword but it won't do anything so I release and re-press it and by that point it's starting on the R2 release phase) so I have to wait for the 'attack swing cooldown' before I can do it again. I generally don't notice it on non-mounted combat.
on your mount, if you "fall" even a tiny distance (like running over a small rock) it will interrupt any actions including attacks. it can be pretty easy to do and not realize it. gotta be aware of those types of "bumps" in the terrain that could do that

Here are some vids to illustrate what I was referring to regarding the delay in the game. It's not huge, but I can feel it. Not trying to dog the game too much because I do genuinely quite enjoy it, but I know I wasn't just imagining this. I think it may have existed in previous souls games to a degree, but this is the first time I felt like it really made it harder for me to react to fast boss attacks. My equip load may have made it even more noticeable. I'm at medium, but at one point I was on the upper end of medium equip load.

Again, you can see it starts as soon as the key depresses. It doesn't happen on key down. The issue is that people think it happens as soon as the button is in the down state. That isn't the case. I think a lot of people are seeing more 'delay' because when they're in the middle of tough combat, they're mashing the button and not releasing as fast as they should, and thinking that's input delay.

Last edited:
Again, you can see it starts as soon as the key depresses. It doesn't happen on key down. The issue is that people think it happens as soon as the button is in the down state. That isn't the case. I think a lot of people are seeing more 'delay' because when they're in the middle of tough combat, they're mashing the button and not releasing as fast as they should, and thinking that's input delay.

It's not as soon as the button releases though; it really is delayed just a bit. You can tell in the second video for sure, but even in the last one when the sound hits for the button release, there is a slight delay for when the character actually initiates the roll. My math could be wrong, but I think it's ~7 frames? It's quick but noticeable to me. I think buttons activating actions on release probably makes it feel slower than it actually is, though. I'm probably holding it some, too, on press, and I'm sure other people are as well...but the videos seem pretty convincing to me as a confirmation that it's not solely that.

Imma beat all your hours in Elden Ring if its the last thing I do. Gonna neglect my family and be the true Elden Lord.
Already been there, my wife told me I needed to hurry up and beat Elden Ring or she was going to beat my ass instead. I promptly completed my playthrough. I never get so engrossed as I did with this game, was playing roughly 12 hours per day last week.

Exactly this. The same button is used to run, which happens when you hold it down. My issue with this game is it seems you don't get invulnerability frames as soon as the animation starts like in a Souls game. There is an extra delay before you can actually avoid damage.

Exactly this. The same button is used to run, which happens when you hold it down. My issue with this game is it seems you don't get invulnerability frames as soon as the animation starts like in a Souls game. There is an extra delay before you can actually avoid damage.
I played the first half of the game primarily blocking and guard countering with a shield and when I switched over to no shield I was like "God damn I get hit a lot", dodge rolls seem to be pretty janky, interesting to see all this information to back it up. The game is beatable regardless but yeah it would be nice to see that corrected. They certainly have their work cut out for them in the form of patching over the next several updates.

Didn't Sekiro have hold B to run also (also previous Souls games)? I never felt delay like this with that game. In the second vid I linked to, the guy even times the Elden Ring B input against a dash in Sekiro and the Sekiro input is instantaneous.

Didn't Sekiro have hold B to run also (also previous Souls games)? I never felt delay like this with that game. In the second vid I linked to, the guy even times the Elden Ring B input against a dash in Sekiro and the Sekiro input is instantaneous.
does that *necessarily* mean it's worse though? like did From actually make a mistake and not realize that it takes longer in Elden Ring which they worked on for what, 6 years?

does that *necessarily* mean it's worse though? like did From actually make a mistake and not realize that it takes longer in Elden Ring which they worked on for what, 6 years?

I didn't claim it was better or worse, but that it simply is there (however, I do think it's a bit annoying). Could be a performance thing, or could be an intentional thing, or just some byproduct of the way the input buffering works in the game. Wouldn't be their first mistake if it is one. Weren't you exceptionally critical over the performance mishaps on release?

Would be cool if it could be modded to not drop a co-op player once a boss is defeated. I would start NG+ in a heartbeat if I could play the whole game with a friend. Saw some streams of NG3/NG4, the enemies look like they all just become sponges, not sure if I'd enjoy fighting them forever by myself.

I didn't claim it was better or worse, but that it simply is there (however, I do think it's a bit annoying). Could be a performance thing, or could be an intentional thing, or just some byproduct of the way the input buffering works in the game. Wouldn't be their first mistake if it is one. Weren't you exceptionally critical over the performance mishaps on release?
yeah, i'd just be shocked if this was something they overlooked or did not intend. technical issues are one thing.. if there's one thing from is pretty good with it's tuning the combat timing and feel and all that. but at the same time i don't play the from games quite as much as some so what feels pretty normal to me probably feels awful to someone else. i do wonder how much balancing in general they'll do over the course of the next few months. i've seen some genuinely stupid shit as far as balance goes lol, i think it's fair to say this game is a little more open to exploitation or cheesing than any other From game so far.

3070, 3600, 16gb, 1440@144

yay or nay?

Lowly 3060 12GB here, and I run at 1080 mostly maximum settings (because it’s a lowly 3060) but it’s super smooth except for the occasional rubber-band-hitch thing every once in a while.

Also i7 11700 32GB and a mix of M2 and SATA SSD storage. Windows 11

I lowered blur and SSAO settings. Otherwise max.

Last edited by a moderator:
3070, 3600, 16gb, 1440@144

yay or nay?
FYI the game is capped at 60 fps. With that in mind you’ll be fine. My 3080 runs it at 4K max settings fairly well, and 3070’s aren’t that far off from 3080’s in the grand scheme of things. At 1440 60fps you’ll be good to go.

Back