Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Where's everyone at now?

Just got past the castle and beat Godrick. I spent his item on runes and leveled up. Probably shouldn't have done that, but I'll save it for one of the two weapons on next play through. Around roughly level 28 now.

Where's everyone at now?

Just got past the castle and beat Godrick. I spent his item on runes and leveled up. Probably shouldn't have done that, but I'll save it for one of the two weapons on next play through. Around roughly level 28 now.
I'm 100 hours in, just hit level 60 today. Have completed 3 Kingdoms, probably around 40-50 bosses, still got a long way to go, but I typically check every corner in the game and do a lot of invasions. I'm about half way through I think seeing there is 6 Kingdoms, I avoid spoilers though so I don't really know.

Where's everyone at now?

I'm fuckin lost. I guess I got to go north'ish? Beat the first two story bosses, but I wandered slightly into the next northern zone, only to get my ass handed to me by trash mobs.
I have no clue what I'm doing, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it.

I'll wander off, on tangents, find a ruins, and go exploring. I'll then find something else on the map close, and explore a tad, poking my head in. I'm just not finding the flow of the game progression, I guess.

As a melee build, Preceptor Miriam, can go fuck right off.

I'm fuckin lost. I guess I got to go north'ish? Beat the first two story bosses, but I wandered slightly into the next northern zone, only to get my ass handed to me by trash mobs.

I'll wander off, on tangents, find a ruins, and go exploring. I'll then find something else on the map close, and explore a tad, poking my head in. I'm just not finding the flow of the game progression, I guess.

Have you checked the roundtable hold lately? Lot of new NPCs there and some goodies :)

Worth checking out. I suspect I'm roughly around your area/progression.

Have you checked the roundtable hold lately? Lot of new NPCs there and some goodies :)

Worth checking out. I suspect I'm roughly around your area/progression.
I'll check it out, but I'm in FOMO mode, trying to backtrack and find things that I think I'm missing. For example, I didn't realize that most every ruins has a basement until recently, so I'm going back to zone's I've cleared trying to find drops that I missed. That's how I stumbled across the NPC that allowed for a summons, which made one of the Evergaol fights, trivial. That single item, gave me some confidence to further explore, without dread about a 2 mile "corpse run."

There’s a story you likely missed, but after you beat those first two you do some other stuff and then do the east zone before heading north. Although nothing prevents a player from heading north, it’ll just be way higher level.

Shit to the no. I can only describe ER's camera as the "Worst Boss in the Game" as it seemingly randomly loses lock-on with the only mob on the screen. Get on the horse, its 3x worse. I can't imagine the frustration with mouse/KB controls

I am a mouse/keyboard for all things FPS, but my limited experience with From games (I've only finished DS Remastered) is that the controller is the device that works for me.
Can't say I've ever had that issue. Lock-on only works up to a certain distance. If you run outside of that distance, you will lose the lock-on. I have not found a reason to use lock-on while on Torrent.

Can't say I've ever had that issue. Lock-on only works up to a certain distance. If you run outside of that distance, you will lose the lock-on. I have not found a reason to use lock-on while on Torrent.
aside from distance, the only other thing i've seen that can break a lock on is a part of the level getting between you and your target (like a rock outcropping or something) but that makes sense. i haven't had any issues with losing lock on either.

is it too early to discuss dlc? i wonder if the huge success of Elden Ring means it will get some pretty hefty dlc/expansions that integrate "smoothly" with the existing world, i.e. islands with bridges you can only pass if you have the dlc or the like

Where's everyone at now?

I think I’m around 30 hours in. Finished the Academy, went North and was denied so now I’m heading East. I think I’m around level 50?

aside from distance, the only other thing i've seen that can break a lock on is a part of the level getting between you and your target (like a rock outcropping or something) but that makes sense. i haven't had any issues with losing lock on either.

is it too early to discuss dlc? i wonder if the huge success of Elden Ring means it will get some pretty hefty dlc/expansions that integrate "smoothly" with the existing world, i.e. islands with bridges you can only pass if you have the dlc or the like
Yes, line of sight is also required. All SoulsBorne games have done this, but it is really aggressive in Elden Ring. I have noticed that as soon as I backup around an obstacle that I tend to lose lock almost immediately, while prior Souls games would give you a good number of seconds.

Mainly if the mob loses line of sight, even temporarily, like a small rock, tree branch, or whatever, it switches focus or loses completely. I still contend the camera is the most dangerous boss in the Souls game.

Mainly if the mob loses line of sight, even temporarily, like a small rock, tree branch, or whatever, it switches focus or loses completely. I still contend the camera is the most dangerous boss in the Souls game.
this game has just about pushed me over the edge to buying a new xbox elite controller to see if i can get used to the paddles for buttons... i am really really sick of having to give up camera control in the middle of a fight to do ANYTHING with the face buttons, lol. the souls games highlight that issue with typical gamepad design more than any others

eldenringplaytime (2).png

no more 2am nights for me. finally finished off the harder optional bosses last night and then completed the game. still have some straggler achievements left but glad to finally be past that stupid f*cking b*tch Malenia.

IMO the camera system in these games is just fine outside of the weird camera tracking thing that happens in Elden Ring when you're running through a hallway. That's the only buggy/glitchy thing that just doesn't make sense. It completely overrides any camera input when this happens.

IMO the camera system in these games is just fine outside of the weird camera tracking thing that happens in Elden Ring when you're running through a hallway. That's the only buggy/glitchy thing that just doesn't make sense. It completely overrides any camera input when this happens.
i mostly agree, a "disable auto follow" option would be a wonderful addition though.

this game has just about pushed me over the edge to buying a new xbox elite controller to see if i can get used to the paddles for buttons... i am really really sick of having to give up camera control in the middle of a fight to do ANYTHING with the face buttons, lol. the souls games highlight that issue with typical gamepad design more than any others

Right there with you lol, I was looking at the Elite controllers today. The auto-follow camera bothers me some, too, but mostly when I'm riding Torrent and looking around; it tries to immediately & aggressively return to zero after letting off the camera stick.

Funny you mention that. I found it that the input issues I was having on the Xbox version of the game was related to my controller. The accessories app was showing that joystick input was fine, but when I checked it on my PC it was all over the place in the upper-right corner of the range. I bought a new Elite Series 2 and everything is fine. I will take the old one apart eventually to see if it just needs to be cleaned. So Elden Ring let me know my controller was bad.

Funny you mention that. I found it that the input issues I was having on the Xbox version of the game was related to my controller. The accessories app was showing that joystick input was fine, but when I checked it on my PC it was all over the place in the upper-right corner of the range. I bought a new Elite Series 2 and everything is fine. I will take the old one apart eventually to see if it just needs to be cleaned. So Elden Ring let me know my controller was bad.
that's weird because i read about some people with elite series 2 controllers running into the issue you just described with your series 1... it might be more of an issue with steam input rather than elden ring itself though. i'll just have to try a series 2 and find out :D

that's weird because i read about some people with elite series 2 controllers running into the issue you just described with your series 1... it might be more of an issue with steam input rather than elden ring itself though. i'll just have to try a series 2 and find out :D
To be fair, my Elite controller is almost 7 years old at this point. I bought it shortly after it originally came out in 2015. Have not had any issue with the Series 2 so far.

I tossed my Elite in the garbage due to to the micro USB shorting out.
I have another one laying around but it's the one I won from Intel Retail Edge or I used points to buy it.
I like the new X-Box controller design over the old version the problem with the Elite is it's so damn heavy.

I picked up a blue last gen X-Bone controller from Gamestop but it smelled like Maple Syrup.
Never got around to using that one much after I cleaned it.

Took me about 3 days to recover my eyes from playing this game along with using my eyeball massager yesterday for 15 mins that helped a ton.
I’m mostly worried about the depression I’m going to have when I finish this game. In a world of 2042s this game stands alone.

I’m mostly worried about the depression I’m going to have when I finish this game. In a world of 2042s this game stands alone.

Just take up Art instead or read a bunch of self help books or books on electronic addictions.

Turn off "auto wall recovery" in the options.

I been doing this since Dark Souls 1. IMO, it should be the standard config.

Sounds like joystick drift. A far more common issue than you'd think.

I'm using a 6 year old Elite, but my left analog drift isn't nearly as bad as you describe; but enough to annoy. In Elden Ring when I push it forward then let go it spins my character 180 degrees. I suspect over time it will eventually get worse. Once you have your character auto walking at center position, then it's shot.

Fortunately the sticks are somewhat easily replaceable.

I've already replaced the bumpers on my Elite twice. Both times it snapped was playing a FromSoft game. It's a poor hardware design. Having a game mechanic where holding down one bumper while rapidly firing the other does not help with longevity.

I think MS went with a two piece design for series 2. But the fact there's still a market for series 2 bumper replacements implies people are still breaking them.

I'll just keep fixing mine until it no longer appeals to me (or something significantly better is out).

Found the Great Wyrm Markan Mini-Boss and took him down yesterday. Going to try the mini-boss in the Carian Castle today. Still a LONG way to go for me though. About 66 hours in and level 123 so far.

Save problem is mostly due to the fact that the game takes forever to actually quit, and people are likely quitting out of steam before it has a chance to upload the new save.

Save problem is mostly due to the fact that the game takes forever to actually quit, and people are likely quitting out of steam before it has a chance to upload the new save.
there's a different problem some people have where it just crashes trying to load their save, often after crashing when equipping a new piece of gear. *shrug* i haven't run into that myself but it's been popping up a lot.

It should not be trying to sync saves while the game is running in the first place, so killing the game before it quits wouldn't affect cloud saves.

Yeah, I'm finishing up some stuff I missed in the post game but I have to be honest, I'm not really excited about the prospect of NG+ and having to rediscover the entire map again, especially since NG+ is still going to be significantly easier in the earlier parts of the game, 1 shotting every boss for who knows how long.

The game throws a lot of info at you at the beginning. I’m looking for a hybrid melee/magic build, but I’m gathering ‘magic’ is overly-simplifying the game mechanics. It’s not so straightforward. Any recommendations for a starting class for this sort of build? Astrologer? Confessor?

The game throws a lot of info at you at the beginning. I’m looking for a hybrid melee/magic build, but I’m gathering ‘magic’ is overly-simplifying the game mechanics. It’s not so straightforward. Any recommendations for a starting class for this sort of build? Astrologer? Confessor?
For faith, confessor and Prophet are both equally good choices.

IMO, if you are an experienced player---go with Prophet. You will have less health. But, you start with a healing spell (which is fast enough to be usable during a boss fight) and a quick fire spell similar to the combustion pyromancy. Its quite fast and can make early enemies weak to fire---trivial. and that extra heal means you don't have to worry about choosing the golden seed as a starting gift. Or you can choose the golden seal and maybe go with another flask for focus points. Its a pretty flexible class to start with.

Confessor is a bit better for someone whom wants to focus on melee or is maybe less experienced. Because you have more health and better overall gear for melee (100% physical damage reduction shield). Plus you get a spell to silence your footsteps. And a different heal spell which is faster, but restores less health. But, no fire spell.

Astrologer is what you want, if you want to start the game primarily casting spells for attack damage. And also more easily summon ash spirits, earlier in the game.

Last edited:
Got the Ghost Knight in Carian Manor down first attempt but the Glimstone Dragon outside the door is giving me fits. Currently continuing on with Renna's quest.
I agree with the above poster. I picked Astrologer because i love playing pure mages, but may dabble in faith spells though a bit.

Back