Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Oh yeah, the PC version takes like 3 full minutes to fully stop running, after I quit to desktop. It's actually gotten worse. It used to be like 1 minute.
yeah it's not quite that long for me, but sometimes i do hear the menu music keep going for 20 or 30 seconds, lol.

yeah it's not quite that long for me, but sometimes i do hear the menu music keep going for 20 or 30 seconds, lol.
Look at the game in your steam list. I hear the music for like 30 seconds, but my steam list says it's still running, for like 2+ additional minutes. And I can't re-start the game while it's still "running".

Oh yeah, the PC version takes like 3 full minutes to fully stop running, after I quit to desktop. It's actually gotten worse. It used to be like 1 minute.
Yeah, I get that too after the latest patch. Although no where near 1 minute, it takes around 2-3 seconds. Not too bad but it wasn't there at all.

I’ve always had a huge delay on exit on both PCs I tried. I’d say 3 minutes is about right. Also I’m not sure if it was cloud syncing correctly as last night it asked me which copy I wanted to use and the cloud save was from a week ago.

https://nitter.actionsack.com/HanDcapableSean/status/1498107130590679051
1646433934726.png

i think the takeaway here, even if your personal experience was pretty good, should be that from really needs to get their shit together on the technical side.
Massive openworld game that has barely been out a week. I'd say their shit is together when considering how games in this genre typically launch (bug filled if not outright broken), and the minor glitches are being sorted out.

The mountains-out-of-molehills thing gets a bit asinine when it's every other post.

Last edited:
Massive openworld game that has barely been out a week. I'd say their shit is together when considering how games in this genre typically launch (bug filled if not outright broken), and the minor glitches are being sorted out.

The mountains-out-of-molehills thing gets a bit asinine when it's every other post.
ER was effecitvely unplayable on PC at launch, for many people. You can't beat an enemy when the game is lurching and pausing and rubberbanding.

It only became playable for me, after the first patch or two AND a registry tweak to AMD's shader cache behavior.

But now its unplayable again, because last night's patch made the sound stuttery and staticky.

I wouldn't even know if the game has functional bugs or not. Because I've only put in maybe 5 hours. Most of which has been "feeling" each patch and various attempts at tweaking things.

I know I do get bent out of shape sometimes when people with limited technical knowledge act like they're experts. I'm working on ignoring it because trying to explain things like this is just way more effort than it's worth.

ER was effecitvely unplayable on PC at launch, for many people. You can't beat an enemy when the game is lurching and pausing and rubberbanding.

It only became playable for me, after the first patch or two AND a registry tweak to AMD's shader cache behavior.

But now its unplayable again, because last night's patch made the sound stuttery and staticky.

I wouldn't even know if the game has functional bugs or not. Because I've only put in maybe 5 hours. Most of which has been "feeling" each patch and various attempts at tweaking things.
Are you by any chance using a controller with a built-in speaker like a PS4 or PS5 controller? I read that the game's still got some wonky controller detection coding going on and it basically rapidly cycles through audio outputs in the background if your controller has a speaker, and you can get around that by disabling it in the Windows sound settings. Probably not actually gonna help but it's something you can try.

Are you by any chance using a controller with a built-in speaker like a PS4 or PS5 controller? I read that the game's still got some wonky controller detection coding going on and it basically rapidly cycles through audio outputs in the background if your controller has a speaker, and you can get around that by disabling it in the Windows sound settings. Probably not actually gonna help but it's something you can try.
Yes I have been using the dual sense over bluetooth and USB. Although I haven't heard that Windows or Steam even acknowledges the audio output. I will take a look, later.

I could also plug in my dualshock 3 and 3rd party witch controller, and see if that makes a difference.

Is anyone finding that playing on PC is much better with a controller than with keyboard and mouse? Trying to control camera angle while also fighting is a PITA using keyboard and mouse.

Is anyone finding that playing on PC is much better with a controller than with keyboard and mouse? Trying to control camera angle while also fighting is a PITA using keyboard and mouse.
How is it different than any other third person game, like Witcher 3 or recent Assassins Creed games? I’m genuinely curious, I haven’t played Eldin Ring yet.

How is it different than any other third person game, like Witcher 3 or recent Assassins Creed games? I’m genuinely curious, I haven’t played Eldin Ring yet.
it varies totally from game to game, nor does it have anything to do with whether it's 3rd person or not.. some games are designed from the get go using kb/m and controller support is an afterthought, some games are the other way around, and some work equally well.

in the case of From games the controller support is pretty clearly the original design intent and the kb/m support is kinda put on top of that. not saying it doesn't work well enough, plenty of crazy good Souls players use kb/m. camera control is the main thing, it has that auto-follow camera that's always swinging around to behind your character whenever you move so you're fighting that constantly. it does the same thing with a controller but its not quite as annoying. i use a controller personally. either way i really freaking hope From hears the cries for an option to turn off that auto follow crap but that seems like one of those things they're just gonna keep doing because it's just one of those "From things"

another annoying technical problem in Elden Ring is alt tabbing.. you have to set it to exclusive fullscreen for HDR to work (that in itself is dumb, it should work in windowed/borderless too) and it occasionally softlocks when i do.

Last edited:
These games were designed with a controller in mind so that's all I have tried using them with. I'm not sure how well keyboard and mouse would work, but if you have a controller definitely give it a try.

SpecialK added a button to download and install a mod for Playstation buttons.

They also implemented some code which attempts to more intelligently handle how Elden Ring threads its code. And reduced some CPU overhead.

+ Reduced D3D12 Copy Command Allocator overhead in Elden Ring
+ Testing alternate Thread Pool scheduling to fix 'EzWorkPool' dumping all of its threads onto core 0/2 in Elden Ring
>> Set [SpecialK.System] GameOutput=false to opt-in

* Consult the Thread Widget to confirm 'Ez...' threads are being distributed to different CPU cores.

I'm still stuck on Margit 15-20 deaths later.... This fool is a bitch. Smack a dev for me. K thanks. I paid $60 to get absolutely murked. Thinking of my life choice right now.

Last edited:
I'm still stuck on Margit 15-20 deaths later.... This fool is a bitch. Smack a dev for me. K thanks. I paid $60 to get absolutely murked. Thinking of my life choice right now.

Bet it'll feel like the first time you grabbed a boob after beating the boss, though.

Also, was just going to login and kill those demi-human chiefs and ended up logging in more than two hours (with only about 15 minutes of that to kill those chiefs). Game is so good.

Shit to the no. I can only describe ER's camera as the "Worst Boss in the Game" as it seemingly randomly loses lock-on with the only mob on the screen. Get on the horse, its 3x worse. I can't imagine the frustration with mouse/KB controls

I am a mouse/keyboard for all things FPS, but my limited experience with From games (I've only finished DS Remastered) is that the controller is the device that works for me.

I ain't gonna lie, I suck at these games. I love the visual, audio, story aspects of these games, but the mechanics are a tad out of my league. I've gone through one of those "Get OP in 20 mins" videos where it shows you some high reward/low risk methods of magnifying your initial build, mainly with the summons.

The Margit fight, was an absolute curb-stomp for me, with a level 3 Jellyfish summons. Walk in, summon Jellyfish, move back, let JF grab aggro, and just do the 3x light-attack whack/dodge method. Rinse repeat. I die all the time to trash mobs, but this boss was a one-and-done for me. I attribute that to the upgraded summons.

I was stuttering in the Lava Swamp Area I closed a few programs and it stopped though microstters it wasn't' freezing.

My eyes hurt the day after at work no more 12+ plus marathon sessions for me. I think 3 or 4 hours should be good enough. I think my eyes should be fine today.

Last edited:
The PS5 controller doesn't show any sound deviced in my sound control panel. And Steam input doesn't have any settings for the speaker or mic. However....Elden Ring clearly hates my PS5 controller, now. Last night the sound in ER would completely disappear, if I had it plugged in.

So now I'm using a 3rd party Switch controller. And it works great-----as long as I plug it in while the game is loaded. If I plug it in before I load the game, the response on the sticks is weirdly delayed but, sometimes will speed up. If the game is loaded first, the controller feels great.

Attachments

• 20220305_112328.jpg
    20220305_112328.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220305_112401.jpg
    20220305_112401.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm sure people will disagree with me, but honestly, for gaming on Windows, just get an xbox controller. It works great with everything, and you don't have to deal with steam input, etc.
I for one don't want to use a Xbox controller. I used PS controllers for decades on consoles and PC with adapters. I never liked the feel of Xbox controllers.

Spent like 8-9 hours the past few days farming runes. :confused:
1646512155196.jpeg

Now at this level:
1646512330074.jpeg

And here's my character......
1646512397693.jpeg

The later rev XBOne and up pads are great! However, Steam supports PS5 DualSense directly and many games show the correct button labels even. I love both pads (and Switch Pro Controller) but have been leaning toward the DualSense lately. Works flawlessly.

Incidentally, the game is running nearly flawlessly for me now. Smooth as silk with an occasional rubber-band moment. (Maybe every ten minutes)

Hit level 30 nearly all dex+str with just enough arc to use blood magic on all weapons.

I am absolutely hooked and having a complete blast with it, especially now that I’ve found my build. Loving the blood magic. Blood spills and arcs with everything I do, and is quite entertaining.

Reactions: DPI
like this
running decent on my PC, but still getting occasional freezes for a few seconds every 10-15 minutes or so. Still very playable though.

So, I already thought this game looked great. (within usual From parameters)

Just wandered into a certain watery area, and fuck, it’s gorgeous! I feel like I’m playing in a Roger Dean painting!

This is, in a modern way, taking me back to my first times playing Ultima games. Not the same style obviously, but the feeling of awe in the world. It’s absolutely stunning.

I haven’t felt like this for a long time with any higher production game. Not even close. Maybe my first Mass Effect play or something.

Doom and Doom Eternal gave me some of that in other ways, but on the fantasy epic sort of thing, and with the dark atmosphere and the bordering on Lynch/Kubrick sort of sound design in some places…

I’m seriously impressed. I’m going to be wandering this world for a long time to come.

Just starting to be powerful enough to comfortably take down large things too without the anger issues I had in DS3. :D

Just had to drop back in to gush a bit before going back to killing mode.

DS3 almost made me a From fan. This game sealed it. I know I’m not [H] in the sense that all the earlier players are, but this is the game that hooked me.

This game was advertised like crazy during the UFC fights tonight, worth a try it seems from the impressions here.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Tried Rennala in the Academy as a lark to see what it was like, and beat the 1rst phase, but died about 20% into the 2nd. Wasn't prepared though as i used most of my flasks before i tried it. Did get the Red Wolf out of the way in about 2 tries.

Fawk yeah, I beat margit finally. 7 hours of adventuring around to get suited up enough LOL.

Damn - but it does feel good.

I think it's funny you can just go around him to get past him taking a detour I tried beating him a few times I even went in a group died on the 2nd stage. I'm pretty sure I could beat him now I didn't have my Estus Flasks lined up right only had two drinkable potions when I should of had all of them except for 3 or so.

While I know some of you may not like this guy - but it is pretty funny to see Dr.Disrespect get absolutely wrecked in this game.

Tried Rennala in the Academy as a lark to see what it was like, and beat the 1rst phase, but died about 20% into the 2nd. Wasn't prepared though as i used most of my flasks before i tried it. Did get the Red Wolf out of the way in about 2 tries.

Did the same thing, with the same result. :D

Back