Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

32GB DDR4
RX 6600 XT
Game is installed on a 970 pro SSD

I did a fresh install of W11 today, because I went from Nvidia to AMD. All windows updates. all drivers, etc.

I tried it with only 8 P-cores and then all 8P + 4E cores.

no overclocks.

I've done all the little tweaks I can think of. classic stuff like a fixed swap file, all the Visual C++ packs. But also some of the new stuff like the "high performance" app setting for the game, resizeable bar, etc.

The game runs perfectly smoothly-----except for when it arbitrarily lets out a little hitch or two. often when I jump or roll. And then also when it suddenly just lurches with a rubber band effect, as if I were in a high ping onilne game. Or sometimes it will just rapidly stutter for a second or two. All totally arbitrary. Seemingly not repeatable. except for that stairwell by that glowy tree, which the internet had already pointed out to me.

The game doesn't shutdown smoothly. I see the desktop, but the title screen music will play for like 8 more seconds.

The weather system often changes rapidly. One time I had rain for maybe 3 seconds.

my performance during rain was fine.

I was at my girlfriend's house today. She has an older, high end 1080p Samsung TV. I ran the game internally at 1440p and downscaled to 1080p.

At this point, I can't trust the game to not suddenly lurch during an important fight or something. So, looks like I will refund on steam and play the PS5 version for now. I will try to grab some performance an frame time numbers tomorrow, for Colonel Sanders, before I refund. I can setup a capture card like a second monitor and mirror the output into my laptop and record it with Quicksync via OBS, on the laptop.

I did not yet try installing the Epic Launcher.

The Ambient music reminds me of those hanging notes in Dark Age of Camelot in Lim Grave.
I got the horse but I think he kinda breaks immersion. The open world really brings stuff to life unlike past games where alot of the levels
were on rails and behind unwinding doors that you had to unlock later. Everyone is leaving messages behind but alot of them are just spam.

Last edited:
1060 6gb vs 3080 12gb. Open world stuttering issues on both cards. Guy testing it is using a 5950X, 32gb ram system for both cards.

20220225005156_1.jpg

Open Area Bliss

20220225011730_1.jpg

Heh I heard of the finger maidens like getting your hand slapped by a Nun with a ruler.

1060 6gb vs 3080 12gb. Open world stuttering issues on both cards. Guy testing it is using a 5950X, 32gb ram system for both cards.
On my machine, is it a solid 60 fps? No. And while there are stutters on my machine, they're nothing like what I'm seeing on his machine. It's more like the game just doesn't feel smooth, rather than the pauses I'm seeing on his screen. It's pretty much similar to chameleoneel's performance on my side. Perhaps the massive stutters are an AMD issue?

*EDIT*

30 minute capture. The framerate definitely spikes, but no pauses. I tried to mirror his character and spent a bit of time dying to that guy on the horse, as that seemed to be where his pauses mostly were.

Last edited:
LOL what a shitshow of a PC release. Shame.

Just people who refuse to upgrade with no upgrade path. The same people who could run Dark Souls 3 can't run this game so they complain. If From Software increased the system requirements less people would try the game out. People own 4k and 2k monitors where they should be running 1080p

Just people who refuse to upgrade with no upgrade path. The same people who could run Dark Souls 3 can't run this game so they complain. If From Software increased the system requirements less people would try the game out. People own 4k and 2k monitors where they should be running 1080p
Nah, it's not just that.

The hell you going on about? People with top end hardware like me are having major lagging issues. The game needed a little bit more time in the oven for the PC.

unplayable for the most part. 5800x+32gb+3070. game has stutters for prolonged times in dungeons, and in outside areas. fps randomly drops from 60 to 20 and stays there for 10 seconds.

also.... its 2022. some people prefer m+kb over controller, why cant the tooltipps and popups show that control scheme.
opening the map is G for some weird reason, which i found out after pressing every button on my keyboard. some hotkeys cant be rebound.

im a bit annoyed.
ill maybe refund as im under 2hrs still. really looked forward to it :(

unplayable for the most part. 5800x+32gb+3070. game has stutters for prolonged times in dungeons, and in outside areas. fps randomly drops from 60 to 20 and stays there for 10 seconds.

also.... its 2022. some people prefer m+kb over controller, why cant the tooltipps and popups show that control scheme.
opening the map is G for some weird reason, which i found out after pressing every button on my keyboard. some hotkeys cant be rebound.

im a bit annoyed.
ill maybe refund as im under 2hrs still. really looked forward to it :(
While it does suck you should refund it to send a message to Fromsoft. They created what seems like a incredible game that is hindered by poor performance. The console version while better are still not perfect. They should of delayed it a month or two too iron out the bugs.

Should of went Intel I'll sink more time in next week. Going to be a serious addiction for most people.

Was only able to play for about an hour last night, but it seems fun so far. I did experience some stutters or dips in FPS here and there, running on a 10900K with an RTX 3080 and 32GB RAM, but it wasn't awful. Hopefully it gets fixed up soon!

There is no reason why the procrastinators on Steam should be giving this mixed reviews.

Overall, I'd say it's a bit worse than the original PC port of DS1's broken 30 FPS. I don't think it's quite unplayable (yet), but when you are actively fighting to work around the technical issues it sure sucks ass.

Of course no one deserves the absolute hate and vitriol "gamers" can produce, but I absolutely think it's fair to be unhappy with the performance. "Mixed" is probably a very fair rating for this game at the moment, and it's going to put this game through the inevitable hype-bust-hate cycle we've seen again and again.

I think if anyone is having the "wow I regret this, should I refund" thought, then hell yeah of course refund it. That's kind of a no-brainer, it's your money, and there isn't a penalty for refunding now and buying it later when it could be either fixed, or on sale.

Holy shit this game looks sick. I mostly play CSGO and the last game I got was CP77 which I played through once but haven't touched since, but this... this could be the reason I get passed over for at least one promotion :D

INNNNNNNNN tomorrow
welp after all these comments in here I actually refunded the money, gonna wait for the first patch. Game looks too good to have to deal with that stuff.

Overall, I'd say it's a bit worse than the original PC port of DS1's broken 30 FPS. I don't think it's quite unplayable (yet), but when you are actively fighting to work around the technical issues it sure sucks ass.

Of course no one deserves the absolute hate and vitriol "gamers" can produce, but I absolutely think it's fair to be unhappy with the performance. "Mixed" is probably a very fair rating for this game at the moment, and it's going to put this game through the inevitable hype-bust-hate cycle we've seen again and again.

I think if anyone is having the "wow I regret this, should I refund" thought, then hell yeah of course refund it. That's kind of a no-brainer, it's your money, and there isn't a penalty for refunding now and buying it later when it could be either fixed, or on sale.
It’s miles better then cyberpunk or whatever though. If they can patch the performance issues, the game here is absolutely incredible.

I notice nobody is mentioning what kind of drive they installed the game to. I had a hunch, so I installed it to my 850 Pro first, which is a SATA SSD. The game hitched and stuttered really badly all over the open world. After about an hour wandering out past the Stormgate I moved the game to my 970 Pro, which is a PCI-E 3.0 NVMe drive. The game runs perfectly smooth on it. I started running from the same spot where you exit the tutorial dungeon out to the same spot past the Stormgate and never once encountered a hitch. The rider at the start of the open world had the worst hitches for me on the SATA drive, but I never once experienced a hitch on the NVMe even with combined combat utilizing your horse and wolf ash summons.

So let us know in the thread what kind of drive you have. I played for 6 hours straight after moving the game to the 970 Pro wandering all over the map and the experience was perfectly smooth for me. I'll see about capturing a video tonight.

On another note, the game is insane. I didn't want to stop playing it. The world is so much fun just exploring everywhere. The only issue I've encountered so far is bloodstains not playing back player deaths when interacting with them.

I notice nobody is mentioning what kind of drive they installed the game to. I had a hunch, so I installed it to my 850 Pro first, which is a SATA SSD. The game hitched and stuttered really badly all over the open world. After about an hour wandering out past the Stormgate I moved the game to my 970 Pro, which is a PCI-E 3.0 NVMe drive. The game runs perfectly smooth on it. I started running from the same spot where you exit the tutorial dungeon out to the same spot past the Stormgate and never once encountered a hitch. The rider at the start of the open world had the worst hitches for me on the SATA drive, but I never once experienced a hitch on the NVMe even with combined combat utilizing your horse and wolf ash summons.

So let us know in the thread what kind of drive you have. I played for 6 hours straight after moving the game to the 970 Pro wandering all over the map and the experience was perfectly smooth for me. I'll see about capturing a video tonight.

On another note, the game is insane. I didn't want to stop playing it. The world is so much fun just exploring everywhere. The only issue I've encountered so far is bloodstains not playing back player deaths when interacting with them.
Interesting. Yeah I'm on an old but large (850 evo?) SATA SSD but I can move it to a Gen4 NVMe later. Didn't think of that, but good idea to try that.

It's a good thought. I do have it installed on my WD SN850 which is a NVME PCIE 4.0 drive and haven't had any performance issues.

I am on a 1tb 980pro. I get a little micro stuttering but nothing to the extent I seen some of the stream been experiencing. It is more then playable to me.

You're going to make everyone upgrade their motherboards to the latest and greatest to maximize the speed of their storage devices. Well at least it gives me something to do while video card prices are ridiculous. :)

You're going to make everyone upgrade their motherboards to the latest and greatest to maximize the speed of their storage devices. Well at least it gives me something to do while video card prices are ridiculous. :)
This is not to dismiss what Kaldaien has discovered in his investigation. I also suspect that From's implementation of EAC was haphazard, and shader compilation has been an issue in some more recent releases. From's programmers may not be entirely savvy with DX12.

That being said, I think we saw this coming with the gen 9 console releases. There was a lot of discussion here about what making a high speed NVMe storage device standard equipment on consoles would mean for the future of games on PC. DirectStorage is supposed to be coming out in full force by next year, so we can expect more issues in the future regarding performance with what kind of drive people are installing their new games to.

I have Windows 11 850 evo but Elden Ring is installed on a 970 evo plus 2tb

Last edited:
I have it installed on a normal sata3 ssd. It runs smooth most of the time for me. Has nothing to do with drives. I think you can overcome most of the stuttering with raw cpu/GPU speed. Honestly, the more I play the less stuttering I’m noticing. As stated prior, it's 100% due to the way the game does it's shader caching. Some things never seem to cache correctly, although others I believe it does because the longer I play the less stuttering i'm encountering.

Last edited:
Mine's on a Samsung 970 EVO Plus nvme. Did notice occasional stutter; nothing for long periods of time though.

It seems so crazy to me that fromsoft dropped the ball on this. I thought we were past the days incredible games being neutered by shitty ports.

It seems so crazy to me that fromsoft dropped the ball on this. I thought we were past the days incredible games being neutered by shitty ports.
Honestly, some of this is overblown. The port isn't that shitty. They just need to fix whatever is causing the massive swings in performance across different people, and it's perfectly fine otherwise. It's one of the best games i've ever played, but luckily my performance issues aren't as bad as i've seen it for other people.

I don't really feel that shitty mouse/keyboard support is a valid complaint. If you didn't understand that this is a controller game going in.. I don't know what to tell you. To me, it's like complaining that Forza doesn't work well on mouse/keyboard. Or that Quake 2 doesn't control great with a controller. Recognize that certain types of games play better with different input devices. An xbox one compatible controller costs like $15-$20 from Walmart.

i only have NVMEs in my system.

i know you're convinced it's perfectly smooth but have you tried with a frame time graph like the videos above? i still, to this moment, have not seen any videos that are actually smooth, even from the players who insist it's perfectly smooth for them. you can clearly see the stutters and frame time spikes in all of them. for example Nytegard posts video saying his is much smoother than the two from Daniel Owen's Youtube channel that Ranulfo posted and the stuttering is exactly the same.

as i've said a few times now, ultimately if YOU are happy with it, that's all that matters. it's just helpful to be able to confirm with raw data otherwise we have totally conflicting reports of whether the game runs well or not which makes it really hard to get any good information to From to hopefully patch it at some point.

Last edited:
Eh, with all the bugs, not even worth my money. I'll wait for the torrent.

i only have NVMEs in my system.

i know you're convinced it's perfectly smooth but have you tried with a frame time graph like the videos above? i still, to this moment, have not seen any videos that are actually smooth, even from the players who insist it's perfectly smooth for them. you can clearly see the stutters and frame time spikes in all of them.
The drops are absolutely there, but I can tell you that for some people it's not nearly as bad as what i've seen for other people. Some people i'm seeing literal 1-2 second freezes. That's just not happening on my system. The drops are there though, but it's not to the extent that it's preventing me from playing the game.

I will say that having a controller with paddles on the back makes the Souls games easier. You can map all the face buttons to the paddles so you never have to take your thumb off the right stick. With my Elite Series 2 I have roll on lower-right paddle, jump on lower-left, interact on top-left, and item use on top-right. It makes unlocked fighting a lot easier.

This game is still kicking my ass in classic Dark Souls style. They may have made the game more "accessible" by giving you more freedom in how you approach encounters, but I'm happy to see that the difficulty is still there. I will mention that the climb through the Stormgate was one of the most fun encounters I've ever had in any Souls game.

And when you get through Stormgate:
If you wander off to the left at the top of the climb you will notice some giant bodies laying around on the ground. The way the are blended into the environment I thought they were dead like the collapsed structures. It scared the shit out of me when one of them stood up. I audibly said, "Oh fuck, they're alive."

On a gameplay-related note, it seems like you should be investing some levels into Arcane. Simply going up from my Astrologer's starting value of 9 to 12 increased the amount and kinds of crafting mats I'm getting from killing the wildlife. It also seems to have a not-insignificant effect on your poise and defense. With the starting equipment I'm not getting staggered as much and my stance isn't being broken as quickly, even if the actual poise value doesn't go up.

The drops are absolutely there, but I can tell you that for some people it's not nearly as bad as what i've seen for other people. Some people i'm seeing literal 1-2 second freezes. That's just not happening on my system. The drops are there though, but it's not to the extent that it's preventing me from playing the game.
those really hard stutters start cropping up with extended playtime and in some specific areas or encounters from what i've seen, but yeah i haven't hit them myself on my pc either - but i haven't played much because of the stuttering.

does anyone know how to set up OBS to properly record HDR? i created a display capture source, the base and canvas res are set to 4k, and recording works well but the colors are super washed out and it's way too bright.

edit: nm apparently OBS can't record hdr.

I'm playing with a focus on bows, really liking what they did balancing the lock on mechanic. Lock on is slower, manual aim is faster and pays off with practice. Started as Samurai, Katana combat feels influenced by Sekiro, they couldn't go all the way with it, but I am really liking what I see with this game so far. I'm off next week due to excess PTO (9 weeks banked from Covid lockdown) so after work today I'm probably going to play A LOT in the next week.

Back